Profile for Zombie Kermit > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Zombie Kermit RSS Feed (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
Pokemon Adventures Red & Blue Box Set (set includes Vol. 1-7)
Pokemon Adventures Red & Blue Box Set (set includes Vol. 1-7)
by Hidenori Kusaka
Price: $32.05
55 used & new from $29.74

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic way to enjoy the Pokemon world., November 16, 2013
By a certain age, I had kind of grown out of the Pokemon anime. I still adored the games, but the anime just had too many episodes with too little genuine development. So I was very excited when I got into Pokemon Adventures, a manga series more directly based off the games. Instead of Ash, we have Red, the young Pallet Town protagonist, and his rival is the grandson of Oak. Aside from the presence of a Pikachu, that's essentially where the similarities to the cartoon end.

We join Red as he raises his Pokemon, fights the evil organisation of Team Rocket (not Jessie and James) and collects badges, all on his journey to be the very best (like no one ever was).

This set actually includes two story arcs. The second joins a child named Yellow on a new adventure, which includes most of the characters from the first arc.

The only mild downside to this release is the presence of minor censorship. What makes it seem a bit silly is that some rather violent images are left untouched, while mildly sexual situations are edited. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but it's still not something that makes sense to me.

Basically, this set is great value for money. The books are housed in an attractive box that will look nice on your shelf, and it comes with a very small, but nice poster that is now up on my wall. I can't wait to buy more of these sets.

Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake
Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake
by Natasha Allegri
Price: $15.92
63 used & new from $3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could have hoped!, November 15, 2013
Wow, I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. I love the series and the comics that go with it, but this is easily my favourite comic so far. The artwork is adorable, and the writing is hilarious. It sat on my shelf for a few weeks before I decided to read a couple of pages. I quickly devoured the entire thing.

Honestly, I would say the comic had some of the funniest writing I've seen in the series, and I'm not just talking about the comics. It had me smiling and laughing like a complete dope. Not only that, much like the show, it incorporates genuine emotion into the mix, with some truly beautiful moments. Cake's opening story is a great example of this.

You would be forgiven for thinking that Adventure Time may be taking things too far with the comic releases, but do not let that deter you from picking up this little gem. Hopefully the team that produced this will be putting out more comics VERY soon.

Adventure Time: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
Adventure Time: Season 3 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jeremy Shada
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $32.98
20 used & new from $23.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Heck yeah!, November 15, 2013
After we got the first two seasons, we didn't hear much for a while. I feared we may not get more seasons, as Cartoon Network is very inconsistent with releases. Today, my fears were put to rest. The joy! Especially suitable, since I've spent the last week watching my copies of the first two seasons!

Season three contains many great episodes, but also several of the most notable ones to date, including the popular Fionna and Cake episode. Adventure Time is fully in stride this season.

Honestly, writing a review is kind of pointless. If you've watched the first two seasons, you either love it and will be grabbing this no matter what I say, or you hate it, in which case you're probably not likely to read a review of season three. So basically it doesn't really matter what I say. BLEEP BLORP!

*ahem* but anyway, this release gets a preemptive five starts, and my hopes that Season 4, which includes even more of the series' best episodes, is just around the corner!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 11:52 AM PST

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Xbox 360
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Xbox 360
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $23.49
76 used & new from $9.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Having a great time with this game., April 16, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I don't play a lot of fighting games. Heck, I haven't even played Street Fighter 4. I'm lousy at remembering combos, let alone pulling them off. But I decided to take a chance on this, because I loved the idea of a darker themed DC game.

Anyway, after a few quick fights with my brother, I started on Story Mode. Honestly, I was a little taken aback at the average graphics on show in the cut scenes. Not awful, just fairly dated. As time went on I understood why. This game has about an hour of cut scene footage, so naturally it wasn't all going to look amazing. The story isn't anything we haven't seen before, ending up a lot similar to those episodes of Justice League, albeit a lot darker.

As for the combat itself, I really like it. As I said, I'm not great at fighting games, but I found it to be accessible, though obviously it would take practice to be able to pull off more difficult moves.

The super moves are endlessly entertaining to watch, although they feel like they would have been better suited to be finishing moves, as seeing someone hop straight up after being punched through a freaking planet takes away from it a little.

The maps are awesome, with plenty of ways to hurt opponents with the environment. And you can freaking knock opponents into things like inmates' cells in Arkham, or the Phantom Zone in the Fortress of Solitude. Now THAT'S fun! All that aside, they look pretty good as well,

In the end, I'd recommend it to both DC fans and fans of fighting games. I've just finished the story mode, it's 1am and I have no intention of switching the game off yet. On to other modes we go!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 7:49 AM PDT

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey
Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey
DVD ~ Kevin Clash
Price: $14.66
26 used & new from $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes it Difficult to Begrudge Elmo for his Success., October 6, 2012
Elmo is over-exposed. It would be difficult to dispute this fact. After decades of an amazing array of characters on Sesame Street, an often grating little red monster took center stage and never left it. This is unfortunate. However, over the course of this documentary (a relatively short 76 minutes), I found myself disliking Elmo less and less. However, to say this movie made me a fan of Elmo would be a lie. The truth is that this movie made me a fan of Kevin Clash.

The documentary tells the story of Clash's childhood, his love of puppets, his early success, his joining with Jim Henson and his rise to fame on Sesame Street. You could not call the movie "deep" by any means, and those expecting any shocking revelations will be sorely disappointed, but those wanting to see a little more of the world of puppetry will be stoked at seeing rooms filled with Muppet materials, hearing stories about Jim Henson and working on the set of Labyrinth, and learning how a little red monster went from a throwaway Muppet with a caveman-like voice to a worldwide sensation.

The film does have its slightly cheesy moments. Seeing Jim Henson edited into shots while they discuss conversations he was involved in just seemed off. Still, I'm always happy to learn more about any conversations Henson was involved with, so despite not liking the technique used to portray it, I am happy for the things it taught me.

On any given day, I would still prefer to watch Oscar be a Grouch or Ernie get on Bert's nerves, but I would have to have a heart of stone not to have my heartstrings pulled while watching this insanely dedicated man use Elmo to bring joy into the lives of so many children.

Torchwood: Miracle Day [Blu-ray]
Torchwood: Miracle Day [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Anchor*Media
Price: $39.95
26 used & new from $21.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite a Miracle, but far from a Disaster, April 3, 2012
At the end of series 3, Children of Earth, I found myself wondering how the series could continue at this point. Once online, I saw the synopsis for the 4th series. The people of the world stop dying, and everyone has to face the consequences of a world without death. This concept really interested me. I was looking forward to the series, especially after the amazing Children of Earth, which I felt topped the first two series by a large margin.

Was I disappointed in this series? A little. Not so much while watching it, but when it was all over, and I looked back on the series as a whole, I did feel a little let down. Not because the series was awful, but because it made the mistake of offering a lead up that would require a pay off that they couldn't possibly deliver.

If I had watched the show on DVD/Blu-Ray to start with, as I did with the first three series, I doubt I would have felt as much disappointed. It would have been just another season for me. But because I was a relatively new fan, and this was my first time watching the show on a weekly basis, it was a lot easier to be disappointed. A major issue was that the series was twice as long as Children of Earth, and often felt like it dragged on way too much. I feel the show would have been better if done over 6 episodes, or even 8, but 10 was too much. Each week I was tuning in and feeling like I hadn't gotten a great deal more added to the story. I felt it was running out of time and not really revealing a great deal.

As I got closer and closer to the end, I began to realize that with all the teasing and mystery and the like, the series would really need a truly great pay-off to make it a great series. Unfortunately, while the last episode was a good one, it didn't really offer any great reveals or surprises to the mysteries they were offering throughout the whole series.

All complaining aside, the series had a lot going for it. Rex Matheson was a decent addition to the team (although the second new addition, Esther Drummond was fairly bland and forgettable). Bill Pullman's character Oswald Danes was despicably fun to watch. Of course established characters Jack and Gwen were great as always.

The series, as Children of Earth before it, also showed a lot of the dark side to the human race... the despicable things we can do when in a corner. Some of the best moments in the series were spent looking at just what we are capable of. Also featured were some really fantastic moments of tension, which definitely pushed the quality of the series up a notch or two.

In the end, I'm not sure if I can recommend this series. I got my share of enjoyment out of it, and I honestly feel that the experience would be improved by watching it marathon, rather than week by week as I did. Unlike many, the American association with the show didn't bother me too much. I feel it shifted often enough between locations for it not to be a big deal. I suppose any American involvement in a British show will be met with controversy, but I don't think it's anything to worry about here. A lot of people disagree, but that's how I feel.

I guess all I can say is, if you're a fan of Torchwood, nothing I say should be able to persuade you one way or the other. The only thing you can do is watch it and make up your own mind about it.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer  - The Complete Sixth Season (Slim Set)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Complete Sixth Season (Slim Set)
DVD ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar
Price: $12.49
40 used & new from $5.15

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd Rank it as the Weakest Season., April 3, 2012
I'm only a relatively new fan of Buffy. It was only around a year ago that I had not seen a single episode, and picked up the first season after wanting to check it out for a while. It didn't take me long to get hooked. I picked up the remaining seasons as quickly as possible, doing my best to not run out of episodes to watch until I reached the very end.

I would rank my two favourite seasons as being 5 and 7. I think they were both truly amazing seasons. But sandwiched between the two, was Season 6, which I found to be surprisingly mixed in quality.

I suppose much of it can be traced to the aftereffects of some of the events of season 5, but much of the characters seemed.... well, just a little off. Buffy's borderline nymphomania, Spike's general desertion of all his character development of the previous season, and various other character choices that struck me as odd and out of place.

I guess another issue I had with it is something that many might find a positive. For me, it sort of lacked the story that the other seasons had, without a clear threat looming overhead. Thing is, by the end, this may not be a bad thing, because it made room for some fantastic developments towards the end of the season. But it just felt a little unfocused and uneven for much of it.

So why the four star rating with all these complaints? It's very simple. Even at it's lowest quality, Buffy still offers a whole lot. There's still a lot of humour, action and quality drama to make this season great. Of course, it has the added bonus of the amazing musical episode Once More With Feeling, which is honestly just as good as people say.

All in all, while the season offers many of the series' higher points, it also offers even more of its lower ones. Despite this, it goes without saying that if you're this far in, you have to keep watching. Even if only for the musical episode and the amazing shocks towards the end.

Splatterhouse - Xbox 360
Splatterhouse - Xbox 360
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $22.85
56 used & new from $6.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, but not without merits., April 3, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Splatterhouse is one of those games you just can't expect too much from. It is average by pretty much every scale. It has entertainment value, but it's undermined by some nasty flaws.

A major issue is the loading times... the amount of time you spend waiting on this game to do something is ridiculous. Nothing kills the gaming mood more than having to waiting on a game for longer than you should.

The graphics are unfortunately pretty dated for the most part... which is a shame since the main cut scenes look amazing. The graphics in the gameplay are, like the rest of the game, just very average. And the way it is put together, with the wonky camera angles, occasionally it is practically unplayable, since you barely have any idea what is going on... it's frustrating, and often made me want to stop playing.

The story is fairly thin and without surprises, and also without a particularly interesting villain. However, the dialogue from the Mask is often funny in its own sick way. The voice acting is pretty decent as well.

A positive is that the controls are pretty easy to get the hang of, and you can do some pretty cool combos. However, occasionally the controls will become a little fidgety and unresponsive.

All that being said, you can not deny the degree of satisfaction that comes with tearing demons limb from limb, slicing and dicing, pulling out kidneys and eyeballs and just generally causing mayhem. In that regard it definitely lives up to its name.

The campaign isn't too long... you could knock it out in a few hours if you tried. In the end, it's basically as long as it needed to be. Any longer and it could easily have started to feel a lot more tedious, as there isn't really a great deal of variety in gameplay.

All in all, if you're looking for a game to keep you occupied for a day or two, you could do far worse than this. However, you could also do far better. I suppose a lot of it comes down to how much you enjoy mindless gore.

Sonic Generations - Xbox 360
Sonic Generations - Xbox 360
Offered by FRONTIER HOBBY SHOP
Price: $20.51
80 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sonic Game I've Been Waiting For!, April 3, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I was a real little kid, from the early to late '90s, Sonic was the coolest thing in the world to me. I loved everything about him... even being enough of a Sonic nut to have a written a little fan fiction (hey, give me a break... I was a kid!)

Unfortunately, aside from the original games, very few of the installments have managed to draw me in. Sonic Rush Adventure was a lot of fun, but it got buried in a sea of mediocre Sonic games (many of which I admittedly haven't even played). Sonic Unleashed had potential, but everything but the daytime levels was so tedious, it made the game practically unplayable.

Finally, we have Sonic Generations... Sega's love letter to the fans. All of the annoying superfluous characters have been reduced to glorified cameos, there are no ridiculous humans around and Sonic is allowed to do what he does best: Run.

The game is divided into two parts: Classic (young) Sonic levels where you play in the original sidescroller style, and Modern (older) Sonic, which has levels made up of both both sidescrolling and full three dimensional areas. You can switch characters whenever you want, so if you feel like playing the other style, you are always free to do so.

The main story is a good length for a Sonic game... there are more levels than you usually get, and the levels are generally a good length. Plus they are remakes of classic levels, so there is a strong sense of nostalgia that comes with them, if you are a long-time Sonic fan.

The levels are pretty well put together... there aren't too many of the frustrating pit and enemy placements that you get with a lot of Sonic games... there are plenty of areas to run fast, get rings and have an absolute blast doing so.

Other than the main story, there are a lot of little challenges to do, with a variety of different tasks and things to unlock. You can unlock new abilities, old music and artwork... so if you enjoy the game, there's no shortage of things to do!

The game is not without flaws... it falls apart a little at the end with an irritating boss fight with a poor gameplay style, and the presence of the more annoying extra characters.

That being said, I still give the game 5/5, as it is a strong return to form for the series, and brings hope that Sonic can be great again... its controls are more polished, gameplay more fluid, and just all around more fun than I had hoped for.

This is how I want Sonic to be.

Little Johnny the Movie
Little Johnny the Movie
DVD ~ Genevieve Morris

1.0 out of 5 stars A Movie to Avoid, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Little Johnny the Movie (DVD)
It's so rare that I give a movie a one star review, but this was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen... little needs to be said about it except that basically every one of the jokes is recycled from old Little Johnny jokes, so if you've heard them, you've seen the movie, the animation is awful, looks as if it was made in the '70s, and the plot is barely there.

I try not to be a cynic, but when you watch a movie without a fraction of originality, it's hard not to be. Even the attempts at being "offensively funny" with the minorities portrayed fall so flat on their face that you can't even feel offended.

If you have never heard a joke in your life, then this may give you a laugh or two... other than that, this movie is impossible to recommend on any level.

Page: 1 | 2