Profile for Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit (CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9)
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit (CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9)
Price: $88.24
33 used & new from $79.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory for MacBook Pro, March 29, 2012
With prices for 16GB memory packs falling fast, I figured it was time to upgrade my 13" 2011 MacBook Pro from 4GB - an amount that seemed more than enough when I got it (running Snow Leopard), but turned out to be too little once I had been using Lion for a while.

Given the issues a number of reviewers have had with no-name memory (especially in this size/capacity), I wanted to go with a name brand. And the Corsair memory was a great choice. Computer started up fine after installing, and a memory test showed that both sticks are fine. No issues after a few days use.

16GB may still be more expensive than 8GB, but for me the ability to now run Lightroom, Photoshop CS5 and CS6, and a virtual machine all at the same time has been great. Highly recommended for anyone who multitasks on a 2011 MBP with big, RAM-hungry apps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2012 10:36 PM PDT

Hard Drive Caddy Tray for Apple Unibody MacBook / MacBook Pro 13 15 17 SuperDrive (Replacement Only)
Offered by Recheirisry
Price: $8.39
27 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, March 29, 2012
I used this caddy to replace my DVD drive with an SSD in my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Even though the listing for this product states that it is not compatible with the early 2011 13", it fits perfectly.

It was actually better made than I expected, with the drive fitting securely into the caddy, and the caddy having the exact dimensions of the stock optical drive. I'd say it's at least as well made as the Optibay, and probably in the same league as the OWC Data Doubler.

Installation was relatively easy. I highly suggest using the directions provided by OWC for their Data Doubler product rather than the instructions on iFixit.com. The iFixit instructions contain many unnecessary steps (to remove the speaker and wireless assembly) that can be easily avoided. Using the OWC instructions installation took 30 minutes, including swapping an SSD into the stock HDD space, putting the HDD in the caddy, installing the caddy, and adding RAM.

Only drawback was lack of instructions for how to use the included screws, but I was able to figure things out relatively easily.

NewerTech 11 Piece Computer ToolKit
NewerTech 11 Piece Computer ToolKit
Offered by Value Twist
Price: $22.99
2 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent computer tool set, March 29, 2012
Got this to replace a set of precision tools that I've had for 10 years and were starting to get a bit worn out.

Overall these tools are nice, with good handles for precision work and the right amount of magnetic grip to make sure you don't lose a screw inside a laptop or phone.

However, I'm a bit disappointed in the Phillips heads. The #00, which is my most used precision tool, seemed to be a bit off in a few screws and almost stripped a screw even when pretty much brand new. I ended up needing to use my old #00 driver which got the screw out without issue.

The Torx drivers, spudgers, and other tools seem to be fine. So overall a solid product, although not without flaws.

2nd hard drive caddy MacBook pro 2010
2nd hard drive caddy MacBook pro 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fit for 13" Early 2011 MacBook Pro, March 29, 2012
I used this caddy to replace my DVD drive with an SSD in my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Even though another listing for this product states that it is not compatible with the early 2011 13", it fits perfectly.

Revo Undercut Metal Polarized Sunglasses
Revo Undercut Metal Polarized Sunglasses

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent glasses with high-quality lenses, October 20, 2011
I've worn Oakleys a lot over the past few years, but I wasn't a fan of their current styles so I decided to look around and tried Revo.

I'm glad I did, as these are excellent glasses with great lenses. This version has glass lenses, which are sharper than the newer version (which now uses polycarbonate lenses). The lens quality is amazing - between the glass and the high-quality polarization, these lenses make everything look clear and sharp without looking too dark. I used to avoid polarized lenses because they can make it hard to read the LCD screen in my car, but this particular pair doesn't seem to have that problem (apparently because they're "double-polarized").

My only gripe is that for whatever reason the lenses seem to attract dust more than other lenses, so I find myself wiping them a lot.

FYI the shading is slightly graduated on these, with slightly darker tint at the top.

Tissot Men's T0244171705100 Veloci-T Chronograph Black Dial Watch
Tissot Men's T0244171705100 Veloci-T Chronograph Black Dial Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, quality watch with sapphire crystal, October 20, 2011
This is a great watch, especially for the price. The features you get - chronograph, sapphire crystal, fine details, clasp (vs buckle) on strap - are very unusual for a watch in this price range, especially from a "quality" Swiss brand.

It's very sharp looking, and it gets a lot of compliments without being flashy. The details on the dial look great in person, with the ridges around the edge of the dial, the orange accents, silvertone hands and hour marks, and "shiny" insert creating a nice mix of dressy and sporty. I also love the detail on the crown and on the pushers.

Unlike some other photos, the pictire here on Amazon does a good job of showing what the reflective part of the dial looks like in real life - it's a reflective black or charcoal color, not the lighter gray that appears on the official Tissot photos.

I've found the rubber strap to be comfortable and haven't had any issues with it. I was able to cut it myself, which is an advantage (just requires removing the pin and using a sharp knife to cut along some existing indentations in the strap). Even once cut, you can still make small adjustments by adjusting one of the pins. And no complaints about the clasp.

If there are two things I'd change, it would be to add a screw-down crown, and to make the lume (the "glow-in-the-dark" areas) a bit bigger for night use. I can definitely read the watch at night but the hour markings and hand markings are a bit small.

Frommer's Brazil (Frommer's Complete Guides)
Frommer's Brazil (Frommer's Complete Guides)
by Alexandra de Vries
43 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall not bad, but a number of inaccurate listings, October 7, 2011
I used this book for a trip to some of the more popular parts of Brazil (Rio, Iguassu, Bahia). For those areas, this book is pretty strong (thus why I selected it).

While much of the content was good, including restaurant and bar reviews that seem to accurately reflect reality (unlike some other guidebooks). I disagreed with some of the reviews listed as "overrated", but many of the tips and finds were very useful.

However, there were a number of inaccuracies in the listings that made using the book frustrating. Some of the establishments (restaurants, attractions, bars, etc.) listed as "open daily" were in fact closed some days. Others listed as taking credit cards didn't. Others had the wrong hours listed. I asked at a few of the establishments if they had changed things like hours or payment methods in the past year or so (when the book was updated), and all said they hadn't. This leads me to believe that the authors just got some of their information wrong.

If the information in the book were 100% right, I'd definitely recommend it. But based on my experience, I'd only recommend it if you can call establishments to verify their information while traveling in Brazil.

Dyson DC22 Motorhead
Dyson DC22 Motorhead

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, powerful compact vacuum, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Dyson DC22 Motorhead (Kitchen)
This vacuum has a few unique features that really appeal to me - compact, hose wraps around for storage, motorized brush, bagless -- and it doesn't seem this combination of features is available on another vacuum.

I wasn't sure how it would perform based on a few of the negative reviews here on Amazon, but I'm so glad I purchased this vacuum. The suction is VERY powerful and really helps pick up dirt on pretty much every surface. The motorized brushbar works very well at helping pick up dirt on my area rugs. So well in fact, that I was shocked at how much dirt and dog hair it picked up from my area rugs (which were cleaned with a stick vac just a few days before). The hard floor nozzle works very well on my wood floors and bathroom tiles, although it would be nice if it had the "ball" pivoting mechanism the motorhead has. The upholstery tool works well to get dog hair off my couch and curtains. And the crevice/brush tool works well on baseboards and those areas (like next to the washing machine) that build up dirt and dust bunnies.

There are a few downsides to this product. The cord is a bit shorter than I'd like, although it's really nice that it's retractable. The bin fills up relatively quickly, but if I use the vacuum regularly I generally through get a full cleaning before emptying it. And the clear bin does require a good cleaning every few uses, which takes a few minutes. But most of these are compromises needed to have a compact vacuum, and they're well worth being able to store this on the floor of a small closet.

I'm really glad I got one of these since they're now discontinued. It seems like the advanced features of this vacuum led to too high a price, and its replacement (the DC26 "City") has an even smaller bin, has significantly less suction power, and lacks a collapsible wand. Now that the final units are almost half off the original price, this is a GREAT deal.

Microsmith Hot Link Pro IR Remote Extender, 6 Emitters (HLPRO)
Microsmith Hot Link Pro IR Remote Extender, 6 Emitters (HLPRO)
Offered by Quantum Wireless
Price: $139.95
9 used & new from $95.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, April 8, 2009
All of my A/V equipment is in an enclosed cabinet, and until recently I had been using a Logitech Harmony 1000 with an RF extender to control it. When the Logitech unit broke, I wanted to replace it with a Harmony One - a great remote, but one missing RF capability to allow you to use it to control equipment in a cabinet.

I purchased the Hot Link Pro to allow me to use the Harmony One with my setup, and so far I have been very pleased. The system is very simple and easy to set up, and once you find the right place for the IR receiver it works extremely well.

It took me a few tries to find the ideal location for the IR receiver, as I was used to an RF setup where you don't need to worry at all about where you point the remote. Once I found a good location (under the bottom of my AV cabinet, pointing at an angle to the floor) I found the receiver worked very well and could receive a signal almost no matter where I pointed the new remote (even as far as 30 feet away).

If you're looking to replace a buggy Harmony 1000, or want a Harmony One but need RF-like capability, this can be a great solution. As a bonus, the tape for the little emitter eyes appears to be much stronger than the glue on the emitters on the Logitech Wireless Extender, which would often fall off my equipment. Overall, a worthwhile solution, especially for the price.

High Sierra 23" Transport Travel Pack
High Sierra 23" Transport Travel Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars A good bag and a good value, May 29, 2007
I purchased this bag for a two-week trip around Greece and found it to be great for my needs. It's relatively roomy, yet the main pack just meets carry-on requirements and the small day-pack easily fits under an airplane seat. It's pretty comfortable to wear, with nicely padded straps on the main pack and good straps on the detachable day-pack. The shoulder strap is convenient as well--the main bag can be carried as a shoulder bag or with the padded suitcase handle if desired. The day-pack can also be clipped onto the front of the bag, which can be good both for security and to distribute weight more evenly.

The bag was also pretty durable, although one of the metal clips on the shoulder strap came off when the strap got caught in an airport x-ray machine (not sure this is really the bag's fault though).

Overall I am quite satisfied, especially for the price. Just keep in mind this is a travel bag--it's great for carrying on your back from hotel to hotel while traveling, but it's not one you would want to be wearing 100% of the time on your trip. (A metal-frame hiking-oriented pack might be better for that purpose.)