Profile for Robert Bissell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Bissell "robertbissell" RSS Feed (Northampton, Ma United States)

Circles of Healing, The Complete Guide to Healing with Massage & Yoga: For Caregivers, Practitioners, Students and Clients
by Gwen Wendy Hammarstrom
Price: $31.46
15 used & new from $31.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Circles of Healing, August 1, 2013
I enjoyed reading Circles of Healing by Wendy Hammarstrom. As a pediatrician I see the importance of caring touch for children of all ages and especially appreciated the attention she gave to NICU babies. Her chapter on caring for mothers who care for infants is excellent. Robert Bissell, MD

Sometimes It Snows in America (Essential Prose Series)
Sometimes It Snows in America (Essential Prose Series)
by Marisa Labozzetta
Price: $16.10
45 used & new from $5.02

5.0 out of 5 stars An Immigrant's story, November 8, 2012
Marisa Labozzetta's "Sometimes It Snows in America" is a terrific read. The story of Fatma's journey from East Africa to New England portrays the difficult life of an immigrant: the overwhelming challenges of the new culture and the relentless yearning for the old. I suspect much of Fatma's experience is universal to any immigrant regardless of the old society left or the new society joined. Description is wonderfully done: New England definitely feels like New England and the East Africa description is so good that I can't help wonder if Ms Labozzetta traveled there to research her book. I was completely immersed in this book.

Dirty Tricks
Dirty Tricks
by Rita M. Bleiman
Price: $22.80
14 used & new from $0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirty Tricks, August 16, 2005
This review is from: Dirty Tricks (Paperback)
Great Book! I've been entertained over the past few days with Dirty Tricks. It is well written - and funny. The engaging characters remain true to life - in spite of their quirks. I felt as though I might encounter any of them at a political gathering, and, with Rita Bleiman's insight, I might even know whom to avoid and whom to engage.

The writing, the plot, and the characters held my interest. I was chuckling a good bit of the time, that is, when I wasn't examining upside-down Jefferson nickels (you'll need to read the book to understand the reference!)

Buried Stuff (Jane Wheel Mysteries, No. 4)
Buried Stuff (Jane Wheel Mysteries, No. 4)
by Sharon Fiffer
79 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Mystery!, December 3, 2004
Sharon Fiffer has created a terrific mystery. I've read each of the Jane Wheel books - this is the best yet. Absorbing plot. Excellent use of language and description. Artfully developed characters - they're all quite believable, yet each is quirky in some entertaining way. We've all known a "Nellie" - someone we're in love with one moment and would like to strangle the next. Then there is the unflappable Detective Oh, and his elegant wife, Claire. And Jane's family relationships (with husband Charley, and son Nick) are portrayed in considerable depth and with just the right amount of humor. The story moves quickly along, and the mystery keeps the reader guessing until the end. Mystery lovers should not miss this book. I believe there will be more Jane Wheel editions in our future - and I am thankful for that!

The Wrong Stuff (Jane Wheel Mysteries, No. 3)
The Wrong Stuff (Jane Wheel Mysteries, No. 3)
by Sharon Fiffer
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Converted to a Mystery Fan, January 7, 2004
Sharon Fiffer has done it. I didn't used to be a mystery fan, but she has converted me. I've read all three books in her Jane Wheel series, 'Dead Guy's Stuff,' 'Killer Stuff,' and now 'The Wrong Stuff.' I can only hope that there will be a fourth volume soon. I read the current release, 'The Wrong Stuff,' in two days (I often spend a couple of weeks getting through a book). It was a terrific mix of mystery, humor, and character development. The main character, Jane Wheel, is molded true to life. She struggles to solve intriguing crimes, maintain her interest in collectable antiques, and devote time to family and friends. She finds it a difficult balance, and that's part of the charm of the books. Jane's mother is a hoot! Her friends, Detective Oh, and Tim, are cleverly drawn characters, and quite believable.
Most readers will readily identify with the entries at the beginning of each chapter, excerpts from an imaginary advice book called 'Overstuffed,' - about ridding clutter from your life. The quotes were so well done that, after I had read the first 200 pages of 'The Wrong Stuff,' I went online - I thought that perhaps 'Overstruffed' actually existed - and, if so, I might order a copy (I think Fiffer could develop a story line around the imaginary author). But we'll have to wait a while for that. In the meantime I hope you enjoy 'The Wrong Stuff' as much as I did.