Profile for D & L Nolan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D & L Nolan "Dan, Lynsey & the little ladies" RSS Feed (Portland, OR)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
World War Z
World War Z
DVD ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $7.93
38 used & new from $2.17

5.0 out of 5 stars A Zombie flick a woman can enjoy!, September 27, 2013
This review is from: World War Z (DVD)
Wonder how many women put their two-cents in on "World War Z"? Probably not too many. I am female, late-twenties and my idea of some good "scary" movies are "Jurassic Park" and "Deep Impact...(try not to eye roll.) Thrilling, gives you some chills, but doesn't leave you staring at your ceiling at night trying to translate if the popping sound of the ice maker is actually an intruder fixing to slay your family. Get me, ladies? Oh, and I 'used' to think zombies were extremely lame.

The Unrated version of WWZ is significantly more graphic than the version I saw in the theater, but certainly nothing I couldn't handle. A few heavy cringes...that's all. However, it literally grabs you and doesn't let go. The large segment in the lab, is one of the more thrilling movie scenes I have ever endured. It is crazy good. I thought Gerry Lane was a touching, smart, and pretty bad-a** character and his love for his family was a beautiful part of the film. I am certainly no movie critic and am not judging on authenticity from the book, but from a woman's perspective this one shouldn't be missed!

Haba Room Tent Marrakesh
Haba Room Tent Marrakesh
Offered by Unzo Ltd.
Price: $178.00
13 used & new from $178.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, BUT..., June 4, 2013
This review is from: Haba Room Tent Marrakesh (Toy)
This tent is beautiful, very well made and it is actually larger than I had anticipated. I will likely have this is my home for 'at least' another 5+ years, because my girls are still young. I can see some serious pretend play going on in here for many Winters to come.

One negative is that the hook that is used to hang this from the ceiling is NOT INCLUDED. Running to the hardware store and looking around aimlessly for 20 minutes with kids in tow was a bit of a buzz kill. Would be helpful if they included this piece. Now, I love Amazon; I get everything from toilet paper to olive oil at Amazon, but there are cheaper places to get this tent online. A little over $50 cheaper. So look around a bit.

***Update: Oh my, the trouble I have had trying to get this baby to stay hanging! The large triangular hook had been pulled out of the ceiling countless times. A traditional hook such as this will work IF you are able to hit a stud with it. We were not at the particular location this had to go. I even tried filling the hole with Mighty Putty and then screwing the hook back up there. No luck. What I did find that has worked perfectly is a butterfly hook. You might have to ask someone to help you find it, but it is a large hook that opens up inside the ceiling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 1:49 PM PDT

Make Your Own Paper Purses (Disney Princess)
Make Your Own Paper Purses (Disney Princess)
by Editors Of Klutz
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $13.98
33 used & new from $9.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a glue/paste project...but still very cute., March 8, 2013
This set certainly has Klutz quality and had lots of pretty embellishments to choose from. My 4 year old liked doing it and loved the result. We also gave one as a birthday party gift, and the little girl (similarly aged) seemed to be very excited.

I did want to mention that this is basically cardboard purses that you glue decorations onto. I couldn't imagine this being all that entertaining beyond the Pre-K/K crowd since its not very involved. But if your little girl likes glueing and loves princesses...don't hesitate to pick it up at Amazon's discounted price. No way I would feel good about paying full price for this, however.

Disney Princess Multi Vitamin Gummies, 180-Count
Disney Princess Multi Vitamin Gummies, 180-Count
Price: $9.79
11 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A tasty, SOFT vitamin, September 26, 2012
Are children's gummy vitamins a scam? I have seen several studies suggesting that the nutritional content in these processed, gummy 'vitamins' are close to nothing. However, I have a preschooler, she needs a multivitamin and she loves Disney...so we have been using these for about a year. Does she still get sick? You bet. But my hope for giving her these is that she will get at least 'something' beneficial to her that she would not be getting otherwise. One can at least hope that we aren't being completely duped on vitamins on top of everything else.

Now, the things that are great about THESE particular gummies are the taste and the texture. We were using the Flintstones gummies for awhile there and I decided to try one. No wonder my kid never wanted to eat them; it was like a tasteless piece of rubber gristle you had to try and chew. These are fantastic, very comparable to an actual fruit snack. If you are going to go the "gummy" route, I would go for these. The boy versions with Nemo and Cars have a similar taste and consistency.

Schwinn Toddler's Carnival Girl Helmet
Schwinn Toddler's Carnival Girl Helmet
Price: $23.79
7 used & new from $23.79

2.0 out of 5 stars A review regarding FIT. Yeah, kind of a biggie., June 7, 2012
I enjoy reviews... I appreciate people writing the reviews. However, after going through page after page and seeing things along the lines of, "so cute, my daughter loves the bubble print," or "perfect for my girly-girl,"...I wanted to SCREAM! There must be a more than a few people who are confused about this helmet being labeled "Toddler" but also saying "Ages 3+" right on the front. I was. But I took a chance and ordered it for my 3.5 year old. Not even CLOSE on the fit. I actually tightened up the adjustments and it fit my 5 month old. This is a BABY helmet.

I will go out on a line here and age this helmet for whoever is interested, since no one else (including Schwinn) has. Ages 6 MONTHS to about a maximum of 2 YEARS (child with head on small side.) Anything above that should get the adjustable youth size. Apart from the sizing issue, this helmet seems adequate. It is lightweight and will most certainly protect the noggin from a nasty spill.

Saving this "3 yrs+" helmet for my infant, who will probably be wearing it soon.
Comment Comments (28) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2014 7:05 PM PST

Crayola Bathtub Fingerpaint Soap by Play Visions
Crayola Bathtub Fingerpaint Soap by Play Visions
Offered by Backsched
Price: $22.50
8 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotsa fun! Not 'that' big of a mess., May 10, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, they are paints...paint in general is messy. That's part of the fun. These paints do not linger as a soap ring, stain tile/grout or leave any trace on skin. They are also very easy to quickly rinse off of the tub/shower. I think that is mostly what is a concern for parents. I never just handed the whole jar to my daughter, the whole pot would get dumped out in about ninety seconds. I had to sit there and hold it for her while she dipped her finger.

We had a lot of fun with these, that is before baby #2 came around. Now, I just focus on the kid actually getting a bath every day. No messing around with paints anymore. But if you have a child who loves the bath and you have plenty of time to "play" in there...I would certainly recommend these.

Pocket Nanny By Itzbeen Personal Baby Care Timer (Blue) - Award Winning Must-Have for Moms
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $22.95
25 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have spent the money on diapers., April 29, 2012
For those of you who are first time parents and get lured into all of these gadgets and gizmos that you convince yourself you need...I can tell you that you do not need this. I actually bought this when I was expecting my second child. Stupid me. This timer is basically just a clock. It tells you how long it has been since the last feeding, nap, diaper change, etc. I will let you in on a secret...it does not matter if you fed your baby 10 minutes ago or 10 hours ago, if he/she is hungry, it needs to be done again. Same goes for a diaper. Who cares if my timer says I changed a diaper 10 minutes ago? The baby pooped, it needs to be done again.

What you will need is a pen and paper to write down how many feedings and wet diapers your baby produces each day. Doesn't matter what time these happen really, just need to write down that they happened. It is really important to monitor that the baby is properly nourished, especially in the beginning. This device does not help at all because there is not a daily memory tool. Our Itzbeen Timer is in the bottom of a basket in my baby's dresser never to see the light of day again.

ALEX® Toys - Active Play Monster Clompers 772
ALEX® Toys - Active Play Monster Clompers 772
Price: $16.46
16 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great birthday gift idea!, April 29, 2012
I was always scratching my head when I have the task of buying a present for yet another little boy. For most of the year, I was buying Tonka trucks for every boy birthday party gift. I mean, what else is there? My daughter got these for Christmas and they have been such a hit. Now I order these for every child's party I go to. Many kids might have those dangerous, walking cup toys...but I have yet to come across a kid who already owns these. Probably due to the fact that Alex Toys are not commonly sold in big box stores. I highly recommend these; tons of fun for preschool age!

Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer
Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer
Price: $15.92
38 used & new from $14.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, it does the job...but not the best choice., April 29, 2012
I will start off by saying that as a second time mom, I have come to appreciate efficiency as well as what you really NEED when you have a baby. I purchased this before my first daughter was born and now know that this is not one of those things you 'need.' I am a fan in general of sterilizing baby items...even if it is just peace of mind for mom. There is something about pulling out my steaming-hot pump parts that makes me feel really good. But you don't need this...that is unless you have a ton of extra room to store another appliance size device.

May I recommend Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer Bags. They can be used 20+ times each and a box of them is under $5. You can easily travel with them, they are space friendly and are a whole lot less plastic to put to waste.

Clairol Nice 'n Easy Foam Hair Color 8A Medium Ash Blonde 1 Kit
Clairol Nice 'n Easy Foam Hair Color 8A Medium Ash Blonde 1 Kit
Price: $8.22
22 used & new from $2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars The "foaming" sucks...but overall very pleased, August 10, 2011
I saw this in the store (8A, Medium Ash Blonde), and decided to give it a try. I am glad my opinion was not shot, kicked and lifeless after reading the reviews on here, because it actually gives off a beautiful result. I find the reviews pretty harsh and not my experience at all. I have always professionally had all-over color + highlights done, but it came to the point where it was financially a burden going in every month and getting away from my preschooler for that long was a problem. I have dark brown hair and heavily blonde processing jobs. The grow-out was beyond embarrassing. I had tried at home dye kits before and even though the color changed, I still ended up with two different results- one on my natural hair and one on the dyed hair. Not what I was going for. The Clairol foam really blended everything together amazingly. My hair is all one tone...pretty impressive considering the extremes I was dealing with.

There are some serious tones and highlights in this product, it's very nice. It almost looks like I had a highlighting treatment in the salon. YES, it's pretty stinky...but aren't they all? It was never at the point of being unbearable...I just turned the bathroom fan on. The "foamer" is a bit of a joke, but far from a deal breaker. It was drippy and pretty messy, but not the apocalypse that some users have suggested. When I use this product again I am going to put it in a foaming soap dispenser that I saved for that purpose. Problem solved.

I would certainly recommend giving this product a try and perhaps choosing a color a shade or two lighter than you would normally select. The color really did surpass my expectations and I pray they don't stop making it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2011 8:45 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4