Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for Kurt Neiswanger > Reviews

Browse

Kurt Neiswanger's Profile

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kurt Neiswanger RSS Feed (Twin Cities, MN USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Highston
Highston
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it a lot, November 15, 2015
This review is from: Highston (Amazon Video)
I enjoyed it a lot, but the pacing felt a little off in places. I think this has real potential for improvement into five star comedy.

Utopia Wear Men's Turtleneck Shirt, Large (Black)
Utopia Wear Men's Turtleneck Shirt, Large (Black)
Offered by Utopia Deals
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 23, 2015
Great value and good fit for barely more than the cost of a quality T-shirt. Highly recommended.

Sexy Liberal!: Of Me I Sing
Sexy Liberal!: Of Me I Sing
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, left me wanting more., July 12, 2015
This book is a fun, quick, breezy read which I found very satisfying. I've been a fan of her radio show for more than a decade, so I have heard a lot of what's in the book over the years. It was nice to see it all presented in more detail and with the wit and charm she has in great abundance. I have always felt that one of her greatest talents is her ability to take the most ordinary events and turn them into highly entertaining tales. That's not to say her life is in any way ordinary, it's that her story telling ability is in full force here. If you like stories about everyday life, politics gone awry, humor which can be a bit on the blue side (oh dear), buy this book. Buy this book. Buy this book. Buy this book...

RAVPower 6000mAh Luster Portable Charger with iSmart Technology(External Battery Pack, Power Bank, 2.1A Output,Apple 30pin and Lightning Cable Not Included) - Black
Price: $26.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific battery. Excellent quality construction, provides more power than expected., July 9, 2015
This power supply is compact and lasts much longer on a charge than I expected. It does what it's supposed to do very well and the construction quality is excellent. It's a good compact design considering it's storage capacity. I have another RAVPower USB portable charger which greatly exceeded my expectations when it came to quality and performance. You can't go wrong with this brand.

Portable Charger RAVPower 13000mAh (Powerful 5V / 4.5A Dual USB Output) Power Bank External Battery Pack  - Black
Portable Charger RAVPower 13000mAh (Powerful 5V / 4.5A Dual USB Output) Power Bank External Battery Pack - Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of power. Excellent quality construction., June 20, 2015
This portable USB charger works exactly as advertised. It has dual outputs which supply plenty of power, even when both are being used at the same time for charging tablets, phones and other USB devices. I bought it primarily to power a portable keyboard instrument with no battery option but a USB power option. It works beautifully. I've played the keyboard for hours and barely put a dent in the available power. All charge indicators were still lit. The only minor drawback is that it is large (think small paperback book) and a bit heavy, but that is to be expected with this much charge capacity. The construction quality is absolutely top notch. It's solid and nicely finished.The LED flashlight is a plus. It's small but bright. This actually exceeded my expectations in both build quality and storage capacity. Consider your charging/power needs. You might get by with a smaller unit. Regardless of size, I would highly recommend this brand.

The Man In The High Castle - Season 1
The Man In The High Castle - Season 1
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great acting, writing and outstanding production values, January 17, 2015
Great acting, writing and outstanding production values. It grabbed my attention and left me wanting more. When I saw that this was Executive Produced by Ridley Scott and based on a novel by Philip K. Dick, I couldn't resist. I thought it might be a warmed over Blade Runner, but it definitely is not. I really want to see where this goes.

Arturia MiniBrute SE (Special Edition) Analog Mono Synth
Arturia MiniBrute SE (Special Edition) Analog Mono Synth
Offered by ROBOTZ Japan
Price: $1,280.85
2 used & new from $1,280.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique sounds, great bang for the buck., January 1, 2015
I've been working with synthesizers for more than 40 years. I abandoned analog in the late 80s and recently decided to return to it. I haven't had this much fun making music in years. I haven't used anything like this in decades. I'd forgotten the sheer pleasure of creating sounds from scratch on a completely interactive instrument. This won't come anywhere close to approaching the sophistication of a modern keyboard workstation, but that's not the point. Analog oscillators, filters and amps have a certain amount of irregularity in them that's musically useful and desirable which you won't find in digital synthesizers. There is a knob, slider or switch for every function. There are no menus or hidden functions to deal with. My main workhorse is a Yamaha Motif. It's a fantastic instrument and I love it, but when I sit down at it to play, it's all about needing specific sounds (with occasional tweaks) or sequencing musical arrangements. It sounds great, but sometimes I feel like I'm simply triggering sounds. With the MiniBrute, my brain shifts gears and I'm really playing an instrument, not operating a workstation. Keep in mind that this is a monosynth. It's one note at a time. You can't play chords.
The MiniBrute is a terrific value. No shortcuts in features or quality were taken to deliver it at this price point. It's built like a rock and all of the controls are very sturdy. It only has one oscillator. Normally I would not consider a synthesizer with a single oscillator, but they created a unique approach by making the waveforms mixable and there are special modulations available for each waveform. For sawtooth there's a setting called ultra saw which creates a detuned effect making it sound like two oscillators. My favorite is the metalizer effect for the triangle wave. It creates a crisp, biting sound I've never heard coming out an analog oscillator. Pulse width is included for the pulse wave and there's a noise source as well. The MiniBrute features a multimode filter which further enhances it's sonic flexibility. It also has a rudimentary sequencer where you can create repeating arpeggios.
One thing you might not like is that you can not save any settings as preset programs. This is 100% old school analog. Wherever you have it set when you turn it off is what you will return to when you turn it back on (exactly like my first synthesizer from the early 70s). I personally don't mind this, but it could be an issue for live performance where you might need to change sounds quickly.
The real panel features an array of inputs and outputs. You can process external sounds through the filter and envelopes. There are control voltage inputs and outputs which will allow you to incorporate this into a larger modular system. The main audio input and output are for standard 1/4" plugs. The control voltage in and outs are for 1/8" (3.5 mm) plugs.

Pros: Price, great sound (surprisingly flexible for a synthesizer at this price), good looking, compact, solid build quality.

Cons: Two octave keyboard. Fine for experimenting with the control panel, simple leads, bass lines or effects, too short for serious playing. You might want to hook up a longer keyboard via MIDI. 1/8" control voltage jacks. I don't know why they didn't stick with standard 1/4" jacks for those.

Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition Analog Synthesizer
Moog Sub 37 Tribute Edition Analog Synthesizer
Offered by 8th Street Music
Price: $1,499.00
5 used & new from $1,399.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Analog Heaven, January 1, 2015
I've worked with synthesizers for over 40 years and I can say without hesitation that Moog has created a small masterpiece with the Sub 37. It has all the essential building blocks and flexibility needed for basic analog synthesis. Especially important are the extensive modulation capabilities.
The control panel is logically laid out and there's a knob or button for nearly every function. Unlike high end workstations where you have to navigate complex menus to get at the synthesis functions, everything is right in front of you. There is a limited menu with additional adjustment options like velocity sensitivity, after-touch, MIDI in-out channel selection, etc., but the most commonly used sources and destinations are all on the panel.
The sound quality sets this apart from its competitors. Moog filters have a unique, warm, punchy sound. You will especially notice it in the low end. This puts out bass that can be measured on the Richter Scale. One minor critique I have is that the filter is low-pass only. It would be nice to have band and high-pass filtering as an option for thinner sounds. The filter does feature selectable slope settings if you want a little less intensity in the sound.
Analog oscillators, filters and amps have a certain amount of irregularity in them that's musically useful and desirable which you won't find in digital synthesizers. The new Dave Smith Instruments - Pro 2 is a competitor to this and I was strongly considering buying it. With a little higher price tag, it features more modulation options and oscillators, but the oscillators are digital and I didn't want to work with frozen waveforms (cool as some of them sound). I consider it a digital analog hybrid. It also doesn't have the Moog filter. I hate to admit it it, but to me, part of the overall experience of playing an instrument like this is what it looks and feels like. Moog wins in this department. The instrument itself is a thing of beauty. The knobs are large and well placed. They call out to be played with. The black control panel and black knobs with silver caps are evocative of the era when I first started playing synthesizers. I haven't used an instrument like this in decades. I'd forgotten the sheer pleasure of creating sounds from scratch on a completely interactive instrument. I feel like I've come home.
My main workhorse is a Yamaha Motif. It's a fantastic instrument, it sounds great and is an indispensable tool for arrangement and production, but I often feel like I'm simply triggering sounds. With the Sub 37, my brain shifts gears and I'm really playing an instrument, not operating a workstation.
The Sub 37 is a terrific value. No shortcuts in features or quality were taken to deliver it at this price point. Also, if you support American made products, it's designed and built in North Carolina. I can't recommend this strongly enough, and I've had a lot of experience with synthesizers of all types.

Korg KROSS61 - 61 Key Mobile Workstation
Korg KROSS61 - 61 Key Mobile Workstation
Price: $699.99
11 used & new from $560.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing workstation for the price, December 31, 2014
Korg has a long history of innovation and providing great bang for the buck instruments. This is no exception. The on-board samples are very high quality. The pianos are the best I've heard on instruments in this price range. Korg makes an expensive but very nice sustain pedal that has a half-damping effect adding more realism for the pianos.Korg DS1H There's a broad enough variety of samples and programs to cover any style of music. It's fully programmable, so you can create your own unique sounds. The depth of progammability and variety of effects are very impressive at this price. Korg has editing software available as a free download, making this an even better value. The sequencer is easy to use. Sequences need to be saved on a memory card. The Kross supports SDHC cards, so you can have up to 32 GB of on-board storage. This especially handy if you intend to use the audio recording feature. The keyboard is light and springy as you would expect on an instrument of this type. This has a built in handle, weighs in at a little over nine pounds and can run on AA batteries. You can take and use it anywhere. Because of it's compact size, it makes a good USB controller if you are using any computer based instruments.

Pros: Great value. Great sound. Light, compact and can run on AA batteries. You can use it anywhere. Free editing software.
Cons: 80 voice polyphony (40 in combination mode). I consider that a bit skimpy. Could use a few more assignable controls on the panel. You're limited to pitch wheel, mod wheel and two assignable buttons. No internal memory for sequences. Saving and retrieving them is a very clunky process.

Musician's Gear Die-Cast Mic Stand Black
Musician's Gear Die-Cast Mic Stand Black
Offered by Woodwind and Brasswind
Price: $17.99
3 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good microphone stand., December 30, 2014
The stand is inexpensive, easy to assemble, has a heavy base, is sturdy and good quality. I needed this for a tight space. The round metal base takes up less room than a stand with folding legs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6