Profile for Daniel Drabek > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel Drabek RSS Feed (Santa Cruz, CA United States)

Made in USA Can Opener (Red)
Made in USA Can Opener (Red)
Offered by 4 Peaks Technology LLC
Price: $15.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like Mom's, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Made in USA Can Opener (Red)
This is the can opener of my childhood. Opens cans quickly, easily, is indestructible and dependable. Hard to believe a good, reliable can opener should be so hard to find these days. Made in the U.S.

The Hillman Group 839830 2-Inch by 8-Inch Black and Red/Nickel Plastic Beware of Dog Sign
Price: $6.68
2 used & new from $2.84

1.0 out of 5 stars Low quality, August 18, 2012
Product was not the same as pictured. Hard to read red type on silver rather than white on red. Cheap plastic film construction. Price plus shipping was over four times what the same thing would have cost at our local hardware store. If we wanted junk we would have bought it locally. Shipping was $4 and it came in an envelope.

[Portable Canvas] Casual Multi-Purposes Fanny Pack
[Portable Canvas] Casual Multi-Purposes Fanny Pack
Offered by Blancho Bedding
Price: $30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific little fanny pack, June 15, 2012
Love this little pack. Materials and construction are very good. Appears to be a heavy cotton or hemp canvas with black synthetic lining. I am particularly happy with the look of the pack. Somewhat rugged and masculine looking. But not quite "tactical". Dressy enough, and casual enough for going anywhere around town. It has 6 separate compartments. Two flaps on the front are held by velcro. Under one flap is a pouch large enough to hold a wallet. Next to it is is a flapped pouch sized to fit a cell phone or pepper spray, or whatever you feel you need. The large flap has a zipper on the front that opens a small compartment that could hold kleenex, keys, etc. The main pouch sits behind this, and is big enough to hold a Subway sandwich, or something of that size with room to spare. Inside this large pouch is a somewhat hidden, zippered compartment that will hold something flat, like napkins, letters, etc. Finally another zippered pouch on the back side will hold a larger flat item, like an iPod or Kindle. None of the pouches are padded, but most are lined. And the very heavyweight canvas provides pretty good protection. With all that carry room, the little pack is surprisingly slim and unobtrusive, and weighs next to nothing -- empty. I plan to take it anywhere I want to travel light. A great buy at a very reasonable price.

LaCie 301484U 22X d2 DVDRW DL Lightscribe USB2.0 and FireWire US
LaCie 301484U 22X d2 DVDRW DL Lightscribe USB2.0 and FireWire US

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice build quality but flawed design., December 21, 2011
This seems to be a very well built unit, but I have a couple of complaints. The button used to open and close the case is located directly under the loading port, which means the tray is in the way when you want to close it. You can simply push the tray shut, but they caution you in the instructions that the button should always be used.
Secondly, the Toast Basic that comes with the unit requires you to sit through a countdown and sales pitch for the full version whenever you launch the application. When I buy a new drive, I don't want to have to play games with the included software in order to burn a disc.

Kelty Redwing 50 Internal Frame Pack (Black, Medium/Large -17.5 - 21 Torso)
Kelty Redwing 50 Internal Frame Pack (Black, Medium/Large -17.5 - 21 Torso)
Offered by BikeWorldUSA

5.0 out of 5 stars Super pack, July 31, 2011
Just what I was looking for. A great grab and go pack for a day hike, yet big enough to haul lightweight gear for an overnighter. Built like a little tank, but not too heavy. Comfortable enough that you can almost forget it's there. Plenty of pockets and compartments for easy access.
Got it through Amazon for the best price. Service was perfect as usual.

Eureka! Mountain Pass 3 XT - Tent (sleeps 3)
Eureka! Mountain Pass 3 XT - Tent (sleeps 3)
Offered by Camp Saver
Price: $269.90
3 used & new from $269.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged and comfortable, June 16, 2011
This is intended to be a three person backpacking tent, but would be perfect for two. I use it by myself, and enjoy the extra room. But I expect to use it mostly for car camping, canoe camping, and short backpacking trips where the 8+ pounds of weight won't be a factor. Besides the large space and good headroom, the tent could really be considered a 3 1/2 season tent, due to it's robust material, strong poles and thick coatings. All the important seams are factory sealed, and I haven't had any problem with leakage. I've used it through two heavy rainstorms with strong winds and didn't ship a drop.

The ventilation seems to be very good. There are lower and upper vents in the rain-fly, and plenty of netting on the top of the inner tent and the large doorways, which keep a good flow of air going even during rainy weather. The two doorways have double sets of zippers, so you can use either the netting, or close the cloth panels for warmth. The vestibules protect the doorways quite well, and I didn't need to close the door panels during the rain storm, which kept condensation to a minimum. Some condensation did accumulate on the underside of the rain fly during the night of the storm, but none of it got back into the inner tent.

If you don't mind a couple extra pounds, this is a fine tent that looks like it will last for years of heavy use. I was concerned at first that it would be too dark with the blue rain-fly, but the inner tent is white in color, and light filters in very well, making the environment pleasant and airy, and not oppressive at all. Set-up is easy for one person--no doubt even faster and easier for two.

Weber 6550 Vinyl Cover for Weber Baby Q, Q-100 and Q-120 Grills
Weber 6550 Vinyl Cover for Weber Baby Q, Q-100 and Q-120 Grills
Price: $9.99
39 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, April 15, 2011
When I read in the description that this was a vinyl cover, I thought "OK, vinyl, it will work for a while, but is going to disintegrate in short order if exposed to the elements." But the price was cheap enough, I decided to get one until I could get something better. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the cover is not plain, flimsy vinyl, but is clearly a heavy duty VINYL COATED NYLON FABRIC. Far more durable in construction than what I was expecting. My weber kettle has a similarly constructed cover that has sat exposed on the patio--through 4 seasons (California)-- for the past three years and still looks great. I expect this one will perform as well. A very good bargain in my opinion.

DD

Weber 386002 Q 100 Portable 189-Square-Inch 8500-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill  (Older Model) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Weber 386002 Q 100 Portable 189-Square-Inch 8500-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill (Older Model) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Great Garden Supply
Price: $192.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the cook ordered, April 7, 2011
I've been a serious BBQ person for over 30 years. Have had many barbecues, from water smokers to kamados. I'd always been a die-hard charcoal man. I still think it's the way to go if you're after that extra bit of flavor. My current barbecues include a Weber kettle with rotisserie attachment, and a Weber "bullet" style water smoker. They are still my tools of choice for classic barbecue including low and slow cooking.

But recently, I'd been thinking about a small propane grill. For simple grilling tasks like steak, salmon fillets, chicken breasts, shish-kabobs, etc. Something I could leave set-up on my deck just outside the kitchen door. It would allow me to quickly and easily grill meals without the time and effort and clean-up required for dealing with charcoal. I could grill often without messing up the kitchen, and it would be healthier than frying.

After looking around at gas grills, I was struck with how huge most of them tend to be. I usually cook for just myself and my wife, and on occasion for one or two friends as well. I could see no point in buying a gas hog, with all those BTU's and that huge space to heat. I wanted something small and gas efficient. Something that was easy to clean and maintain, would last a long time, and be easy to move around. I saw the Baby Q, and quite frankly hated its funny, space-age looks. At first glance, compared to the gleaming stainless steel monsters, it looked kind of cheap and goofy. But on closer inspection, I was impressed by the quality of construction and the simplicity of the design. You pay a bit more for the name on the top, but I think it's worth the price.

The little Weber Q fits our needs perfectly. It takes a few seconds to light, I'll go in the kitchen and assemble what I want to cook, and in ten minutes or less, the grill is piping hot and ready to throw on the meat. A quick pass with the grill brush before and after cooking is all that is needed. After a few uses, I swipe the inside bottom of the Q to clean up most of the residue, and throw away the foil liner in the drip pan. (a sheet of foil works as well as the aluminum pans you have to buy). A one pound container of propane gives me about 6 or 7 cookouts. (I only do quick grilling on the Q. Nothing that takes long, slow cooking). I just picked up a 40lb. propane tank at the local big box store for about $20. It cost me $18 to fill at the local gas station, and should cover my fuel needs for a year or more. Couldn't be cheaper. The little Q is extremely efficient. The tiny space under the hood is quickly and fully heated in a short time by the small 8 BTU burner. The grill is cleverly designed so that the burner is covered by panels cast into the grill, so little grease is dripped on the burners. In fact everything about the grill is cleverly designed.

The first one arrived damaged, but Amazon made the exchange quick and painless. I received the replacement in a few days and they picked up the old one at the same time. From past experience, I also know that Weber's customer service is second to none.

We're looking forward to years of use of this little grill. And to tell the truth, it looks a lot less ugly to me than it used to.

Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack, Khaki
Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack, Khaki
Price: Click here to see our price
34 used & new from $65.17

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect pack, November 20, 2010
Not much to dislike about this little pack. Holds a lot more than one would guess, and keeps it nicely organized. Only complaints--the strap tends to slip and slide around in the shoulder pad, causing the pack to migrate away from where you place it. Also, the little pouch on the strap hits me right in the back of the arm, causing uncomfortable friction when I walk. I'd like to see it either eliminated, or placed above the buckle where it would be easier to access, and not rubbing on my arm. Otherwise, it's a well-made and well thought out design. Quality of construction and materials couldn't be better. And it looks good too.

Waterpik NSL 653 Linea 6-Mode Handheld Shower, Chrome
Waterpik NSL 653 Linea 6-Mode Handheld Shower, Chrome
Price: $35.78
6 used & new from $16.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shower for the money, October 21, 2010
We've tried several of the Waterpik shower heads and this one gives the most satisfying showers of the bunch, in our opinion. There are no worthless settings--like misting--on this one. And it's the first model that has settings that satisfy all members of the family--both those who like a gentle rain, and those who like a blasting shower. And we've had no complaints about the pressure on any of the settings, even though the flow-limiter is in place.