Profile for Just Trying to Help > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 162

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Just Trying to Help RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Lost Tribe of Coney Island: Headhunters, Luna Park, and the Man Who Pulled Off the Spectacle of the Century
by Claire Prentice
Price: $16.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A fresh account of how people will take advantage of... people., September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fairly interesting account of how a piece of show business that I had never heard of.

Show business is, in my opinion, very commonly about one person exploiting another person. This is true when a record company offers a talented musician an unattractive offer, for example. But it can happen to anyone.

Claire Prentice gives us yet another example of this in this book. For the most part it is a long slow slide into oblivion. A bad partnership that gets worse over time.

Is it fascinating? yes. Is it fun and happy? No.

I would recommend this book, I think that it gives us a fresh story and a fresh look at a chronic condition of humanity.

Avery Thermal File Folder Labels for Dymo, Seiko and Zebra Printers, White, .56 x 3.43 inches, 130 Labels per Roll, 2 Rolls per Pack for a Total of 260 Labels (4155)
Price: $15.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading picture, but I did receive the specifications mentioned., September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The labels are ok, but they don't look like the picture at all. They are long strip labels that are .56x3.43 inches (roughly). The roll is thin and long.

The labels work as advertised without any problems, and the specifications in the title are correct.

But I can see where the wrong picture would create some confusion for some people. So, ignore the picture and just go with the specs.

Easy@Home Bluetooth Body Fat Digital Scale with FREE App for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Android smart phones and tablets, ITO Top, CF351BT
Offered by Easy@Home
Price: $53.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, great customer support, September 16, 2014
its often said that you can learn more by how a company handles problems than successes.

In this case, the Easy@Home people were very easy to work with when I had a problem. As it turns out, I was using the app incorrectly. I kept trying to pair the scale before I used it, however::::::::: you don't have to pair the scale! you just open the app, and, stand on the scale. POOF!

This is extremely convenient and I like it a lot. There are two downsides however:
1) When you have the app open, your phone will not "go to sleep". So make sure you click out of the app. This happened on my iPhone 5c test.
2) if I check my weight, and then walk over to the sink and brush my teeth, my wife has a difficult time connecting to the scale from her phone moments later, probably because the scale was still connected to my phone. In this case, I flicked up on the phone and turned off my bluetooth, and she was able to use it a few moments later. If you are using the scale without anyone else around, this won't be a problem

I tested the scale with an iPhone 4S, 5, 5C, and 5S. It worked with all of them flawlessly.

You can also use the scale without the app, of course. The app tracks your weight, as well as your muscle, body fat, and etc.

When I had a problem with the first scale I received, the Easy@Home team sent me a replacement very quickly. One piece of advice: don't hold down the reset button on the back. I did this with the first scale I received and it never seemed to recover.

I received this item as a review sample. However, I think it is easily worth the retail price.

MeasuPro CCT300 Digital Clock, Timer, and Stopwatch with Three Alert Type Settings - Buzz, Beep, and LED
Offered by MeasuRite
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Its everything I need in a timer., September 16, 2014
everything i need in a timer.

I've used this for several weeks now and its really great.

I like the fact that it can beep or vibe, and you can wear it on your belt.
Also, it has a little kickstand to keep the screen facing "up" if you have it lower than eye level.

I also like the fact that after the timer goes off, it continues to count *UP* so that you know how long its been since it was done. This is more of a concern with cookies and other items that you don't want to cook for long. I noticed it was taking me almost a minute to get downstairs to take the cookies out, and I started the timer for to run a minute less.

Its really a great product.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance LIT Mini Jumpin' Stix Duck Formula with Glucosamine and Chondroitin Semi-Moist Dog Treat
Price: $11.68
7 used & new from $6.25

4.0 out of 5 stars The dog thinks they are the bomb., September 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
as far as the dog is concerned these are the bomb, she really likes them.

the bag says that they have no corn, wheat, artificial flavors or colors. They do have preservatives, I guess its unavoidable since this is designed to be stored in a pantry. The rosemary extract was an unexpected ingredient.

K'nex Titanfall - Ultimate Angel City Campaign Building Set
K'nex Titanfall - Ultimate Angel City Campaign Building Set
Price: $98.43
10 used & new from $98.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not easy 11year olds, September 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My loving-year-old nephew and I put this together and it was very difficult for him to snap the pieces together. Especially over extended periods of time as a kit this big requires. This means it's taken us our four days to put the kit together. The pieces stay together much easier than Lego pieces but they are much harder to put together.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance LIT Mini Jumpin' Stix Chicken Formula with Glucosamine and Chondroitin Semi-Moist Dog Treat
Price: $11.85
8 used & new from $6.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Super stinky but very popular, September 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife says that the treats are so stinky that she doesn't want to touch them but the dog loves them and leads us to the treats that she can have another one. So apparently the dog thinks that they're a big hit. as far as whether they're doing what they claim to do I can't say yet.

Nerf Rebelle Agent Bow Blaster with purple arrows
Nerf Rebelle Agent Bow Blaster with purple arrows
Price: $29.99
9 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it, but the spy stuff is very much a gimmick., September 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The girls really like it. Although they have pointed out that the secret messages can be read pretty easily without the decoders. The decoders work off of that old idea where you use a red filter to remove all the static in an image and just show you a word. Companies have been selling that since I was a kid.

The action of the bow is very nice, the rubbery string gives a satisfying "twang" when released. The arrows have a good weight to them and are somewhat aerodynamic.

My kids want me to get a second one.

I feel that the manufacturer could have been polite enough to include the two AAA batteries. The electronic sights are a gimmick, just like the red filtered secret messages.

Mighty Dads
Mighty Dads
by Joan Holub
Price: $13.23
55 used & new from $7.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool themes, but didn't deliver any magic., August 29, 2014
This review is from: Mighty Dads (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
when i was growing up two of my favorite books were:
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
and
Katy and the Big Snow (Vol 2)

this book, Mighty Dads, seems to be a precursor to those books. I mean, for extremely young children, we're talking board book.

Now, I didn't get much out of mighty Dads. I liked the theme, I liked the ideals, but overall I found it a little flat.

On each page we're introduced to a new machine, and their child is always named a similar name, like:
Dump Truck Sturdy and Dumpy
Backhoe Steady and Hoe Hoe
Excavator Big and Vator

There was some magic in the theme of the book but it didn't really work for me. At the end of the book they had a "during" and an "after" picture, and I would have liked it more if the during picture had been at the beginning and you could see how they were all working on the job site together. I guess Richard Scarry Style.

Anyway it was ok, so, three stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 2:14 PM PDT

Five Star Locker Mirror, 5.5 x 5.5 Inches, Berry Pink/Purple (72562)
Five Star Locker Mirror, 5.5 x 5.5 Inches, Berry Pink/Purple (72562)
Price: $16.06
2 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit like a funhouse mirror., August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The big drawback about being shatterproof is that the highly polished chromed plastic that makes up the mirror portion does flex. This means that the image is never quite perfect. you can flex the mirror in your hands for even more funhouse mirror effect.

It does seem good enough for checking if you have something in you teeth, "omigosh where did that zit come from" or if someone is sneaking up behind you.

It serves its purpose well.

The addition of the black thumbtacks is nice but not really necessary. they go into the foam frame nicely and its a reminder of how you can use it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20