Profile for nashvillegirl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 128

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

nashvillegirl RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Linum Home Textiles 100-Percent Turkish Cotton Diamond Weave Pestemal, Turquoise
Offered by TURKISH TOWEL STORE
Price: $21.77
4 used & new from $21.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I bought this, I had never tried a Turkish towel (or knew that it was called a pestemal). The fabric is soft (after washing it) and comes in a very pretty shade of turquoise. The fringe on the ends give it a unique appearance as well.

I am using this more of a blanket/light decorative throw than a towel, however. For towels, I usually prefer a very thick terry cloth feel and that is definitely not this towel. The material is very thin and light. As a light throw, it works perfectly.

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding: A Memoir
What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding: A Memoir
by Kristin Newman
Price: $9.62
83 used & new from $2.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Loved this one - as in "please write another book and come be my best friend" loved it!

Kristin Newman is a comedy/sitcom writer who has reached the age where everyone but her seems to be pairing off. Instead of settling or forcing herself down the "normal" life path that scares her, she takes off on trips. Lots and lots of trips - from Paris to Argentina to New Zealand, where she meets lots and lots of men.

The writing is so funny - the pace is perfect and alternates between serious observations and funny quips. I found her to really easy to relate to, even though her more or less "choosing" to be single is the exact opposite of my situation. Her descriptions of the places she's been and the events that happen to her in each are terrific as well. It's a mixture between a travel memoir and a self discovery memoir, and I think it contained the perfect combination of both.

Definitely recommended for not only women in situations similar to the author's, but for anyone who enjoys this type of memoir.

Abroad: A Novel
Abroad: A Novel
by Charles Wright
Price: $20.62
90 used & new from $0.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me engaged!, July 23, 2014
This review is from: Abroad: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ever since I read "Girls In Trucks," I've been waiting to read another Katie Crouch book - the reason being that even though I didn't enjoy "Girls In Trucks" that much, I thought her writing showed great potential. I'm happy to report that I really enjoyed her latest work.

The book is based on the Amanda Knox case, and follows the life of Taz, an Irish girl who has died (no spoilers here - you figure that out in the first couple of paragraphs) and relates the story of how she came to die. Taz had participated in a study abroad program in Italy, where she had fallen in with a glamorous group of girls who were connected to the best social events in town. She also finds herself sharing a house with an American roommate, Claire, a girl who Taz finds both beautiful and different. These characters, as well as some young men Taz meets, end up weaving a complicated web around Taz, leading her to the ultimate end.

The story kept me hooked and I eagerly kept reading to find out what had happened to Taz. She was someone that I could really sympathize with - a normal girl that sometimes had trouble fitting in with the popular crowd, but had a very close relationship with her best friend. I thought I had a really good feel for the other characters in the book as well. The one thing that I had trouble with were Taz's strong feelings about Claire at the end of the story - I just didn't think that relationship was developed well enough in the story for me to believe how much she cared about Claire (trying to be vague so I don't give anything away).

Overall though, I definitely recommend this story.

Then and Always: A Novel
Then and Always: A Novel
by Dani Atkins
Price: $13.50
124 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, just not my cup of tea, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The book has its good points and bad points, but at the end of the day, the "It's OK" rating really summed up how I felt about the story. I really wanted to like it more, but I just couldn't.

The story centers around Rachel, a young woman who suffers a terrible tragedy at the beginning of the book, shortly before she was scheduled to depart her childhood/high school life and enter into the adult world. It fast-forwards five years, where the reader learns that as a result of that tragedy, Rachel is living a life that is far, far away from the one she had imagined for herself. When she has an another accident and then wakes up, suddenly she is living the life she should have been living - before the first tragedy hit. The rest of the book focuses on Rachel's search for the truth - why does she remember a different life from the dream life she currently has?

My biggest criticism of the book is that I just did not find the writing to be that sophisticated. The story moved at a reasonable pace and I was definitely interested enough to keep going til the end to find out what had happened, but the writing just didn't meet expectations. On the positive side, however, I did not guess the plot twist and was surprised to find out what had really happened.

Swingline Metal Fashion Stapler, Full Strip, 20 Sheets, Chrome/Blue Accent (S7087830)
Price: $13.77
27 used & new from $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive stapler, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was attracted to this product mostly because of its looks - I'm a sucker for "pretty" office supplies. This has a nice appearance and is good for my office area, which already has a lot of white in it. It definitely is limited to stapling smaller projects - I wouldn't try and staple anything more than 15 sheets or so with this - but it gets the job done and looks nice on my desk.

Diet Coke, 8 PK, 7.5 oz. Cans
Diet Coke, 8 PK, 7.5 oz. Cans
Price: $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the times when you just want a little bit!, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These little cans are perfect for the times when you want the taste (or slight caffeine bump) of a Diet Coke, but don't want to drink a whole can. Because I'm trying to cut down, I found them perfect for satisfying my desire to have one without the guilt of having drunk an entire can. I would get these again.

Eat Pretty: Nutrition for Beauty, Inside and Out
Eat Pretty: Nutrition for Beauty, Inside and Out
by Jolene Hart
Price: $11.27
64 used & new from $7.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the information, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of my favorite things about this book was the great descriptions on what certain "bad" foods, such as sugar," do to your body. It was interesting to see exactly how these foods affect your body, instead of just reading over and over again that they are not good for you.

Lots of good tips and advice on what exactly to eat to improve your looks. Most fashion magazines spend a lot of time on covering things up - and, of course, as you age, sometimes that's all you can do - but this book focuses on what you need to do to avoid ever getting to the "cover up" stage.

That said, a lot of this information I had already gleaned from other sources. It doesn't make it a bad book - I think it would be great if this is your first foray into this area - but I didn't necessarily learn a lot of new information. That said, I've been reading a lot more about this subject than a lot of people probably do.

The World's Great Wonders: How They Were Made & Why They Are Amazing
The World's Great Wonders: How They Were Made & Why They Are Amazing
by Jheni Osman
Price: $19.52
88 used & new from $13.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Photography Book, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Lonely Planet can usually be relied upon to do a great job, and this book is no exception. There are about 4 pages for each "wonder" and a wide array of beautiful pictures. The text is informative as well.

Recommended for armchair travelers.

BluePoint New Bloom Towels, Chocolate, Set of 4
BluePoint New Bloom Towels, Chocolate, Set of 4
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine towels, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These towels are perfectly fine, middle-of-the-road towels. When I first took them out of the box, I was a little worried because they were actually hard and stiff. After washing, however, they were fine and had the normal softness you would expect from new towels. They do shed a lot in the wash, so I'm not sure how long they will last. They are a nice, rich brown color and the matching bath mat is a nice touch. The bath towel is definitely smaller than a bath "sheet" though, which I typically prefer.

We Were Liars
We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart
Price: $10.79
107 used & new from $6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, June 19, 2014
This review is from: We Were Liars (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was one of my first forays into reading young adult literature as an adult (I was swept up in the Harry Potter mania, but really haven't read a lot of other things that were originally intended for young adults). I enjoyed this book a lot, but it's hard to review it because the real "punch" to it is the twist at the end, which admittedly, I did not see coming.

The book focuses on the relationship of Cady, a wealthy young teenager, to the "Liars," her cousins and friend/boyfriend with whom she spends summers with on a private island owned by her grandfather. Cady's thoughts and descriptions sometimes come off as older than her years, but not enough to make her an unbelievable character. I will admit that there were times, halfway through the book, when I was wondering where this story was going and wanted it to wrap up. I was tempted to peek at the end, like I sometimes do, and I'm really glad I didn't - so if this happens to you, just be patient and don't look ahead.

The twist at the end was something new for me and did cause me to think about the book for a day after reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13