Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for desert razor > Reviews

Browse

desert razor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

desert razor RSS Feed

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism
by Sheldon S. Wolin
Price: $13.70
70 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Inverted Totalitarianism - Spread the word!, January 25, 2014
I had not read anything by Sheldon Wolin prior to this book, and I picked it up because I was intrigued by what was apparently his own invented phraseology - "inverted totalitarianism." With these two words, Professor Wolin gave a name to something that those of us who pay close attention to global political and economic trends have glimpsed on many occasions but could never quite see in full. Indeed, this subject is so new and so little explored that it would be best to view Professor Wolin's book as our first landing point on an as-yet-unexplored continent. The continent is a dark place where shadowy plutocrats, corporate oligarchs and political prostitutes who aspire to admittance in the plutocracy conspire to keep the reins of power and control out of the hands of "the people" and in the hands of those who abuse that power and control for their own selfish ends. Wolin is careful, however, not to mis-cast "the people" in the role of entirely innocent victim. As Wolin understands and explains, each of us has a responsibility to be curious enough about our world to peer through the fog of propaganda in search of elusive truths, and to assault the walls of secrecy that insulate the powerful few from the powerless many.

This book should be viewed as a call to arms, even though, in a very real sense, the war is already over and we, the people, have already lost. The war for transnational corporate hegemony has been marked here at home by the relentless dismantling of an already shaky scaffolding of American liberal democracy. Being constructed in its place is a virtually impenetrable authoritarian fortress protecting (and shielding from view) an unholy alliance among self-serving economic elites, self-appointed intellectual elites and self-promoting politicians who feign statesmanship while leaving bewildered rank and file Americans standing on the platform as the prosperity train pulls away from the station.

The importance of this book, and this line of inquiry, cannot be over-stated. It is not an entirely easy read, but that is because it is so densely packed with vital information - it's like eating an incredibly nutrient-rich energy bar for your brain. Pick it up and open your eyes to the real state of the world around you - if it doesn't cause you to jump into action, shame on you.

On Anarchism
On Anarchism
by Noam Chomsky
Price: $12.05
62 used & new from $7.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Anarchy - it's not a dirty word, January 25, 2014
This review is from: On Anarchism (Paperback)
Chomsky's exploration of the roots and continued vitality of anarchism as a socio-economic and political theory and strategy is important reading for anyone wanting to dig beneath the sketchy surface of the word "anarchy" to get at the root of its meaning and see its practical applications for today. It is not "Molotov cocktails" and "chaos," as so commonly assumed, but a belief system that is typically highly organized around the search for local solutions to local problems by independent and autonomous actors responsible to and for themselves, without arbitrary authority imposed from above and without. The presumption that all impositions of authority by one person or group over another are invalid unless and until they are justified by necessity and tempered by restraint is a presumption that we should all embrace, particularly in today's increasingly authoritarian world. Once again, Chomsky steps up as one of the leading public intellectuals of our time and tells some uncomfortable but simple truths.

This book is a collection of excerpts from past articles, talks, etc., rather than a single coherent exploration of anarchy in theory and practice. The reader should not expect a text book on the subject, but rather a history lesson and an exhortation to the "anarcho-curious" to embrace the notion that we are each entitled to dominion over our own lives, and to enlighten those who blindly submit to unjustified and unjustifiable impositions of power and authority.

Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else
Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else
by Chrystia Freeland
148 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Guess who's coming to lunch?, February 20, 2013
OK, so the topic was extremely interesting to me, in connection with a writing project of my own, and I got some of what I wanted from the work, but I was left wanting more. Specifically, more prescription, less description. I am less interested in who Ms. Freeland has lunched with than is the author herself, and was looking for more analysis and remedial proposals. Nevertheless, it is a quick and worthwhile read for the 99% (or should I say the 99.9%?) who need confirmation that there exists a discrete and insular minority whose wealth exempts them from the rules by which the rest of us must play. And this is not a game . . ..

The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use "Plain English" to Rob You Blind
The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use "Plain English" to Rob You Blind
by David Cay Johnston
101 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood boiler, February 20, 2013
Like all D.C. Johnston writings, this will make your blood boil. Amazing how corporate capitalists look and act a lot more like "socialists" than the progressives who get that label. Listen to what they say, then watch what they do. Compare the difference, and you will learn much about how average Americans are being played for dupes. Required reading for budding revolutionaries.

LaCie Minimus 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301967
LaCie Minimus 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301967

4.0 out of 5 stars No drama backup, February 20, 2013
So I needed to back up approximately 450 gigabytes of high definition helmet camera videos to clear space on my laptop. Picked up the LaCie Minimus because the space (2TB) and price were a good fit. I understood it would take a fair amount of time to complete the back up, and it did. After several hours, it was roughly 35% complete, and I went to bed. When I woke up, I learned that the back up failed, so I had to start it again. Again it froze up before completing, and it looked like I would have to start from scratch. Third time proved to be a charm, as the aborted back ups apparently stored most of the data the first 2 tries, so the 3rd didn't take long. No issues since, but the initial issues cost one star.

GoPro Chest Mount Harness for HERO Cameras
GoPro Chest Mount Harness for HERO Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
32 used & new from $13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect hands-free action cam mount, June 12, 2011
As the operator of The Epicenter, an HD action cam rental store in Moab, I need strong, adjustable, secure mounting options for my fleet of rental HD GoPro cameras, and the "Chesty" is perfect. In particular, it is our preferred mounting option for rafting, kayaking, skiing, horseback riding, climbing and general exploration, where a helmet mount is not viable. The multiple adjustment points and stretch-to-fit straps easily fit over a life jacket, and the camera can be raised up high enough so river-runners don't end up looking at 2 hours of their hands on the oars / paddles.

One minor drawback: for road and mountain biking applications, the rider's forward-leaning body position is such that the camera must be mounted upside down to get the proper field of view, which means we set those cameras up with an inverted image capture so the raw data comes out right side up. I'd like to see better adjustability in the mount, but it is so secure, and so adjustable, that I can't take a star away. When I send a rental camera out with a Chesty, I can be confident that my equipment will come back in one piece, and that my customers will come back with big smiles and great footage.

Bottom line: if you've got an HD GoPro, you need a Chesty! If you don't have an HD GoPro, you've got to get one!