Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Megan Johnson > Reviews

Browse

Megan Johnson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Megan Johnson RSS Feed (San Diego, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Reef Women's Cushion Breeze Flip Flop,Black Black,7 M US
Reef Women's Cushion Breeze Flip Flop,Black Black,7 M US
Price: $23.99
3 used & new from $23.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Super narrow, July 13, 2016
I have been purchasing the reef 'sandy' flip flops for about 13 years. I decided to purchase these this time because of the cushioned sole. They are much more narrow than the sandy flip flops. I don't wear wide shoes normally, but I'm having to return them because my feet look terrible hanging over the sides of these shoes. The cushioned soles do feel better than the sandy flops, but I have no choice but to return them. Bummer.

Japanese Bento Lunch Bowl 2 Tier Wind, 840ml (24oz)
Japanese Bento Lunch Bowl 2 Tier Wind, 840ml (24oz)
Offered by import japan select
Price: $13.62
216 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun but practical option for office lunch, February 13, 2016
I really like this bento bowl. The capacity is quite large, with the bottom bowl being about 11 ounces, and the top bowl being about 8 ounces. This product is microwave safe, but not insulated. It is made of thick plastic, so you won't be keeping anything hot or cold for an extended period of time. I keep it in the fridge at work, and then microwave the contents inside the large portion of the bowl. The size/round shape makes it easy to pack.

You can use it for various types of foods. You can put soup in the top and rice in the bottom, pasta in the bottom and sauce in the top, stir fry in the top and rice in the bottom, salad in the bottom and dressing, meats, cheese, etc in the top, mashed potatoes and veggies in the bottom and braised meat or meatloaf in the top. You can get pretty creative about filling it with different types of foods.

Only the top portion has a sealing gasket to prevent liquids from leaking. This means you cannot safely put liquids into the larger portion of the bowl if your bowl may not always be upright in your lunch bag, backpack, etc. This seems to be the case with every bento box I have looked at, even the expensive Zojirushi Mr./Ms. Bento lunch thermoses. I really wish I could find a bento similar to this one where all compartments are water tight. This is the reason I gave the product 4/5 stars. I also wish there were more design/color options.

Alpha Grillers Instant Read Meat Thermometer. Ultra Fast Digital Cooking Tool With BBQ Internal Temperature Chart.
Offered by Alpha Grillers
Price: $19.97

4.0 out of 5 stars A great thermometer for the home cook, February 13, 2016
The Alpha Grillers food thermometer is a great option for the home cook who doesn't want to break the bank on a meat thermometer. Its construction is very much like a Thermapen, of which I am also an owner. I will say that one majorly appealing aspect of the Alpha Grillers thermometer is its price point. At 19.99, it is about 1/5th the price of the Thermapen. You might sacrifice a small degree of speed and accuracy, but at that price difference, I feel that most home cooks will find the difference negligible. It is a bit more difficult to actually open this thermometer, which is why I have removed one star. I really have to try to get a fingernail or something underneath the metal probe to open it up. This can get a bit annoying when you're trying to multitask in the kitchen, however, you can always just open the thermometer and leave it that way until you're finished cooking. Also, you cannot calibrate this thermometer. I have tested the Alpha Grillers thermometer with boiling, warm, and ice water. It gets the temperature within about 2 degrees, and it does seem to change quickly with the water as it cools and heats. I am pleased with the performance, and it is quite easy to clean. I don't know how well the calibration will hold up in time, but this thermometer is so inexpensive that I'm not sure how much I care. It has a hold feature so you can hold the screen at the temperature that you last took (in case you forget, I guess?). It also has a handy temperature chart printed on the exterior of the unit so you can be reminded of the temp you're looking for with certain meats.

Another point I do want to make as an owner of a Thermapen is also related to the cost. While cooking Christmas dinner, my sister put my Thermapen into a beef roast and put it in the oven. I was devastated when I found out, even just a few minutes in the oven fried my $100 Thermapen. I sent it back to ThermoWorks and they said they could repair it for $25. I was really happy that it could be fixed, however, when I received my Thermapen back, it stopped working again under normal use within a few weeks.

Point being, I would much rather purchase this item and replace it than continue to dump money in a Thermapen just so I can get a small degree of better accuracy and a slightly quicker response time.

I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

Star Wars Quiz
Star Wars Quiz
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't work and it's boring., December 18, 2015
This review is from: Star Wars Quiz (App)
It's a multiple choice quiz with super easy questions, but every time I say the answer Alexa tells me how to answer (like she didn't hear me say the word "two"). Really annoying and I disabled it right away.

Slow Cooker Recipes: 1000 Slow Cooker Recipes For Quick & Easy, One Pot Meals
Slow Cooker Recipes: 1000 Slow Cooker Recipes For Quick & Easy, One Pot Meals
by Sarah Peterson
Price: $23.99
24 used & new from $19.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly disappointing, full of errors., November 8, 2015
This cookbook is just AWFUL. I borrowed it from the Kindle library for free so I could look at it before purchasing it despite all the glowing reviews. I am an avid home cook, and I was hoping to use my slow cooker more often. This book had a lot of good reviews, so I thought I would check it out.

I don't understand the good reviews at all. Many recipes in the book are repeated several times. For instance, just skimming through the recipes you will see that chicken tortilla soup is in this book at least 3 times. I looked at the recipes and they're nearly identical. This means there are definitely NOT 1000 recipes in this book. Every single recipe has the words "slow cooker" in the name, like the person who wrote it just compiled a bunch of recipes they found online by Googling "slow cooker recipe". There are TONS of typos in this book. I found a recipe for vegetable soup where you put a bunch of raw vegetables into a slow cooker and cook it for a total of 45 minutes (on no specified heat level). I doubt it would be remotely cooked in that time frame. There are a great many ingredients/instructions listed in this book that are very vague. For example: 1 can of tomatoes(size, type?), 2 cups of diced chicken(cooked, raw?), put the bacon into twirls and arrange on the bottom of the slow cooker(wtf is a bacon twirl?), etc. There are no photographs to aid in the extremely vague instructions. Steps 1 and 2 in the recipe for "slow cooker spicy eggs" are: "heat oil over a medium heat. Stir in & cook until soft". Uh...what? I assume you're cooking the "1 large onion(diced? minced? strips?)" in a skillet over medium, but only because the onion is listed as the 2nd ingredient and mentioned nowhere else in the instructions. Another soup recipe I saw mentions spinach in the ingredients but it appears nowhere in the instructions. Being that there are so many errors in editing and in the recipes in general, I am not sure I could trust any recipe in this book to make a decent meal. If I KNOW there are steps missing in recipes that I'm familiar with preparing, then how do I know if I will get a bad result from a recipe I've never prepared? I found errors or unclear directions in nearly every single recipe that I looked at while browsing through this book. I might be able to use it as a way to get some vague ideas of new recipes I can create on my own, but I would NOT recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience in the kitchen. I certainly wouldn't pay even 99 cents to the person who haphazardly put this book into existence. They obviously just want to make some money and care nothing about sharing great recipes or helping people to prepare a decent meal for their family.

If you want to pay money to throw food in the garbage, then this book is for you.

Women's Gaucho Capri Sleep Pant Grey XL
Women's Gaucho Capri Sleep Pant Grey XL
Offered by Feel Good Apparel

4.0 out of 5 stars so soft and comfy!, December 13, 2014
I bought these sleep pants because the fabric blend is the same as my old favorite pair of pajamas that have worn out over about 7 years. I love how soft they are! The material is thicker than my old ones, so I think they are better quality. My only issue is the waistband. I do find it to be too wide. I guess that's the style, but I don't see the point of that, and it's kind of awkward how high they rise up the waist. I still really like them, and would buy them again.

Grazia Silicone Muffin Pan, Red, 24-Cup
Grazia Silicone Muffin Pan, Red, 24-Cup
Offered by The Bargain Mill
Price: $11.99
6 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Fun, September 13, 2014
This is a great mini muffin pan. It fits perfectly on my half sheet baking pan, and then right into my oven. I used this pan to bake miniature vanilla cupcakes and topped them with freshly made whipped cream for my birthday party. You can use this pan with cupcake liners or without. If you spray the pan with some cooking oil spray, your baked goods just slide right out without an issue. They were the perfect size to just have one bite of cupcake. It was lots of fun to have a huge plate of tiny cupcakes to pass around. I think kids would love them as well. You can also use them for many types of appetizers, cheesecake bites, mini quiches, the list goes on and on. I have two of these pans, and they store well too. You can roll them up if you don't have very much cabinet space. Neither of my Grazia pans had any kind of synthetic odor, nor did they impart any kind of taste into my food. They're also a cinch to clean with warm soapy water. Recommended.

Conair Cuisinart SmartPower Duet BFP-703 3 Cup 7 Speed Blender/Food Processor (White)
10 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless in my kitchen., July 15, 2014
I wouldn't recommend this blender to anyone, unless you're only ever blending liquids. I cook a lot of Mexican food and this blender has an awful time blending rehydrated dried chiles. After ruining a few wooden spoons trying to prod ingredients into the blades, I bought a ninja. It's head and shoulders above this blender...of course the price tag is more than double, but well worth it for the level of performance. I've asked everyone who comes over to my home if they want this blender for free and I can't even give it away.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2016 10:22 PM PDT

Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor
Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor
by Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack
Price: $19.38
60 used & new from $7.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Muchas gracias para Muy Bueno!!, September 26, 2012
I pre-ordered Muy Bueno about a month ago after reading the glowing review from Roberto Santibanez, my favorite Mexican chef. I received it yesterday. I have actually never even seen these ladies' cooking blog before, but right off the bat, I read this cookbook from cover to cover. The photographs are beautiful, and the writing is actually worth reading!

In the beginning, the book explains to you that the recipes are contributed by 3 generations of women. A grandmother, mother, and 2 daughters. You can tell who submitted each recipe to the book because there is an icon with each recipe, and every recipe has a little story in the beginning that tells you how it is important to their family culture/tradition. I found the entire cookbook to be utterly heart warming. I feel that every recipe included is approachable, even to the novice cook, and without ingredients that would be difficult to find. I also think it's worth noting that I have about 5 other Mexican cookbooks, but I still know that I will be cooking heavily out of this book.

Some things I just can't wait to try:

Appetizers:
Bacon-wrapped shrimp with jalapeno
Corn in a cup (sort of like Mexican creamed corn, yum!)
Mexican shrimp cocktail (one of the best looking recipes I've seen for this)

Soups:
Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup...I've been wanting to try a new recipe for this!)
Homemade chicken soup (the picture looks absolutely delicious)
Pozole rojo (Red pork and hominy stew)

Entrees:
Chicken tinga
Chipotle shredded pork enchiladas (stacked, not rolled...how fun!)
Beef tongue with tomato (No recipe has ever made me want to cook lengua before)
Chile rellenos topped with ranchero sauce (an old fave)
Cheese and shrimp stuffed poblanos (How could that not be good?)
Chilaquiles rojos (classic Mexican breakfast)

Desserts:
Churros with Mexican chocolate dipping sauce (omg.)
Bunuelos (fried tortillas with cinnamon and sugar)
Coconut milk tres leches cake (WHAT?!)

I am so happy I purchased this cookbook! I will definitely be making all those recipes listed above, and more. I'm pretty sad that my boyfriend wanted pork chops tonight, because it means I won't be able to get started on one of these recipes right away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2012 12:37 PM PDT

Billboard #1s: The 70s
Billboard #1s: The 70s
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $29.99
26 used & new from $14.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Good party CD, March 12, 2011
This review is from: Billboard #1s: The 70s (Audio CD)
I bought this CD set as a Christmas gift for my mom, who grew up in the 70's. As soon as she opened it, she couldn't wait to put it on and play all the songs she remembered listening to as a kid. Soon enough, everyone at our Christmas party was having so much fun listening to these classic songs, and reminiscing. There is a good mixture of genres, and the recording quality is excellent. All the songs are sung by the artists you recognize, and not some off the wall covers of the oldies you remember. This is the real deal!

These are songs to feel good to!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2013 12:51 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2