Profile for Space Ace > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Space Ace RSS Feed (Macungie PA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Monster
Monster
Price: $9.00
111 used & new from $3.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Outta This World!, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Monster (Audio CD)
This is Classic Kiss, but takes the next step forward after "Sonic Boom". First, I have to admit, that it is a bit different. Paul's songs for instance are a bit on the serious side. He doesn't really have 70s styled fun, tracks on here. But his songs are very good nonetheless. My far and away favorites are Eric's song - which was written by Paul - "All for the Love of Rock and Roll" "Out of This World" by Tommy, "Wall of Sound" from Gene - which is just a real cool riff, and Paul's "Long Way Down". To me, the Eric and Tommy songs provide those fun, classic rock songs with catchy hooks, riffs and choruses. Gene's stuff is great, but much heavier than on "Boom". Paul is heavier too. "Hell or Hallelujah" is a great track, but to me it's more in the "Creatures of the Night" style - which is not a bad thing. Lyrically, the album is more serious and thought provoking than before. My favorite Paul track, however, may be the bonus track "Right Here, Right Now."

Give this at least 5 listens before you judge it. It grows on you. Musically, it is great, they put a lot of work into this and it shows with how tight they play and you can tell they are having fun.

What bugs me?

1st - "All for the Love of Rock and Roll" - should be a radio hit. I don't get it. With the crap on the radio - why
that can't break through is beyond me. Oh well. I love it.

2nd - The timing of this whole project - I give Kiss a C-. I love the album - but they toured over the summer with
Motley Crue before the record came out - okay....then they tour South America as the album comes out - so
there was no promotion for it here in the US. When "Sonic Boom" came out it was so much fun. I bought Kiss
M+Ms, Posters, T-Shirts at Wal-Mart, then went to see them in concert that week. They were also supposed to
put out Kissology 4 - and haven't done that either. To make matters worse - In Feb-March of this year - they
are headed to Australia. Oh Well. I still love "Monster."

Sonic Boom
Sonic Boom
Offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music
Price: $7.23
111 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars SAY YEAH!, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Sonic Boom (Audio CD)
This is a great, fun album. I understand those who are upset with Eric and Tommy being in the band. And in 2003 I was questioning it myself. But, Ace and Peter wanted out. I'll take it. Eric and Tommy rock, they play well, and they have reinvigorated the band. Ace will always be my favorite member. But if you're a true fan, you can respect and like all the periods. Just like your favorite football team, wins and loses, you stay with them. Anyways.....

This record rocks. "Modern Day Delilah" sounds like Creatures era Kiss. But my Favorites are "Never Enough" "When Lightening Strikes" and "Yes I Know". Eric rocks on "All for the Glory" as well. The only thing I have to complain about is Gene on "Hot & Cold". That song is a reworking of the old unreleased demo called "Rotten to the Core". And "Rotten to the Core" is much better in my opinion. But, oh well. I remember the first time I heard this CD, I couldn't believe how much fun it was and that it rocks like 70s Kiss.

Kiss Deluxe Limited Edition
Kiss Deluxe Limited Edition
Offered by Recycle Seedeez
Price: $238.88
15 used & new from $160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Package; But more rarities are needed.., June 8, 2007
This earns 5 stars for the packaging, and for the unreleased gems, "Doncha Hesitate" and "It's My Life". I've heard people complaining about the inclusion of greatest hits on here...but for the first box set, they have to do that. It has to be an overview. I just wish, again, that more demos, unreleased songs and rarities were included. The sound quality is excellent - even improved over the remasters of the late 90's. I would love to see a volume 2, and even throw in old shows from the 70's complete and cleaned up and remastered. That would be great!

Disc 5 is the worst disc here. I don't know why they put things from unplugged on here. I can't believe "Jungle" isn't on there.

Psycho Circus
Psycho Circus
Price: $13.99
109 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest KISS Albums!!, June 7, 2007
This review is from: Psycho Circus (Audio CD)
I love this record!!! And it's of course steeped in controversy just like Dynasty and Destroyer due to ghost players taking Ace and Peter's roles. But, oh well. Every single song is a winner. The only shame is that the song "It's My Life" from the box set didn't make the album. That is one heckuva good song. But from the title track to all of Gene's offerings this album rocks! And sonically it's everything it should be. I think "I Pledge Allegiance..." is one of Paul's greatest songs ever! And I think "Within" is one of Gene's best. "Raise Your Glasses" is such agreat song, great melody. "Into the Void" is classic Ace. "In Your Face" is a cool unreleased Ace song written by Gene which just kicks you in the butt. Okay maybe "You Wanted the Best" is a bit corny, but I feel it works in the context of things here and I love Ace's solo on that one. I only wish that Peter's "I Finally Found My Way" could have been a hit. It deserved to be. Ezrin and Paul did a great job on the writing of that and Peter sings the crap out of it. It's really a great song. If this was to be, and I think that it was, the last Kiss album, then they really ended on a strong note. This album is like Destroyer meets Creatures meets Revenge. I love it. It's their highest debut at #3, and it sold well (Gold)despite little radio play except for "Psycho Circus". The tour was awesome, and I just miss the excitment of the whole deal. It was really great!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2007 9:43 PM PDT

Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions
Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions
Price: $5.49
93 used & new from $0.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Carnival of Souls = The Elder of the 90s, June 7, 2007
I really like this album. The problem is maybe it's too good and too different from classic Kiss. Sound familiar? Yes, just like The Elder. The music isn't bad, just very different for Kiss. And this time, it's very very heavy and it does sound derivitive of Alice in Chains or Soundgarden. My favorite is Paul's "Jungle". And that one received a lot of airplay at least on stations where I lived in PA. Most of Gene's songs are quite good. "Hate" is like a faster "Unholy". But I like "Childhood's End" - that sounds like a distant relative to "Goin Blind". "Rain" and "Master and Slave" are very cool hard rockin songs from Paul. Had the reunion not happened, I'm not sure how this album would have really been received. It's a shame it didn't come out in like 93 or 94 when it could have had a shot. But by 1997, everyone was Kiss Make-up crazy and this record got lost in the shuffle. But I give them kudos for trying something creative and really experimenting.

You Wanted The Best, You Got The Best!!
You Wanted The Best, You Got The Best!!
Price: $14.98
99 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unreleased Live Songs..., June 5, 2007
I'll give this 5 stars just because the Summer of 1996 - Fall of 1996 was so much fun going to reunion concerts and Kiss was huge again. Kiss fans like myself were just so euphoric and caught up in the hoopla of the reunion! The "unreleased" songs are great. (Even though you can tell they were re-recorded...just compare Paul and Gene's voices with Alive 1 or 2 for proof) The best of them is "New York Groove" live from Austrailia 1980 if you snagged a copy of a Japanese version of this disc. But "Room Service" rips, as does "Let Me Know" "Two Timer" and "Take Me". The interview will always be a cool timepiece. There aren't many interviews with all four orignial members.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2011 6:05 PM PST

Unplugged
Unplugged
Price: $8.39
134 used & new from $0.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Classic Album! The Kiss Reunion!, June 5, 2007
This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)
Finally a great setlist! Even without the reunion, this would have been great. But, with Ace and Peter it's awesome and over the top. "2000 Man" is awesome! And finally "Beth" gets done the right way and is the best version of the song aside from the studio version. But I was so excited to have them do "See You Tonite" from Gene's solo record, and "A World Without Heroes" from The Elder. This is the kind of mixing up of the setlist they should have always been doing. Thank Heavens they're mixing it up recently on the Rock the Nation tour which I can't say enough about. After this album it was a very exciting summer of 1996 to scramble for tickets to a reunion show.

Alive 3
Alive 3
Price: $10.99
116 used & new from $0.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, But SO many Songs are MISSING!!!!!, June 5, 2007
This review is from: Alive 3 (Audio CD)
What's on this record sounds great. The music is played well. But what a major dissappointment when I saw this was 16 songs!!!?? Where is "Tears are Falling"? "Crazy Nights" "War Machine" "Fits Like a Glove".....the list could go on of songs that SHOULD have been on here. Songs that were staples in their shows for years that fans wanted on this record! By not including them, they created a big hole in their catalog of great songs not included on the offical live records. Why do they think bootlegging got so big at this time? Because fans saw they could get a better boot of a show than what Kiss would release!! Eric Singer even stated in the Kiss Authorized biography that he listened to some boots that were better than Alive 3. I own a show from the NJ Meadowlands that murders Alive 3. On the Revenge tour Kiss were playing an awesome setlist...usually about 23-25 songs. Alive 3 is like a sampler...what a shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2007 9:40 PM PDT

Revenge
Revenge
Price: $7.39
97 used & new from $1.34

5.0 out of 5 stars FEROCIOUS! One of their Best!!!, June 5, 2007
This review is from: Revenge (Audio CD)
It's amazing when you consider the difference between this record and Hot in the Shade. It's like a different band. This is not only the best album from the line-up without make-up, but it rivals their best from any period. The songwriting is top-notch, the sonics rock hard, the guitars rip...and Bob Ezrin's there. After Eric Carr passed away, I guess Kiss wanted to redeem itself. I'll never forget the first time I saw the "Unholy" video. I almost didn't recognize them. I can't stand idiots who say that Kiss went grunge in 1992. I love Pearl Jam, and this does not sound nor look like Pearl Jam or anyone else from Seattle. Yes, Kiss got a bit darker and edgier, but they sounded great. I think Revenge has a classic Kiss 70's sound with a touch of Creatures of the Night/Lick it Up attitude. And after over 10 years, it's SO clear how these songs have stood up over time. Look at how well "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" and "Unholy" were received on the Rock the Nation tour. And they sounded great and all this music fits in well with the make-up era. This is the music Kiss should have been making throughout the whole decade of the 80's. Eric Singer said that he believed this album would have been huge had it hit about 2 years earlier...I agree. By 1992, I think many turned a deaf ear to Kiss and turned to other music. But, how cool is "Spit"? "Domino" from Gene may be the best song on here...I hope they do that one live again some day!!

Smashes Thrashes & Hits
Smashes Thrashes & Hits
Price: $4.99
161 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Incomplete..., June 5, 2007
This review is from: Smashes Thrashes & Hits (Audio CD)
I like the remixes; and the new songs "Let's Put the X in Sex" and "Rock Hard" are a bit poppy and 80's style, but I like them, I think they're fun, catchy songs that rock out. "X in Sex" was big on MTV. I loved Eric Carr, but why they had him re-do "Beth" as if Peter Criss was dead...I'll never figure out. The tracklist is incomplete! Where the heck are "Crazy Nights" and "Reason to Live" which were big hits for them just one year prior to this release?? Also, "Uh! All Night", "Fits Like a Glove" "War Machine" "All Hell's Breakin Loose" ????? I mean where are the OTHER KEY songs that came out since the last compilation at this point since Double Platinum???

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4