Profile for Rie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rie RSS Feed (Michigan)

Page: 1 | 2
Brawler (Detroit After Dark Book 2)
Brawler (Detroit After Dark Book 2)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, intense and generally kicks your ass – MUST READ, April 23, 2014
This is one awesome ride you are about to get on. This is the 2nd book in the series and could easily be read on its own. However, I think it is much better if you read the first book, Brutal, due to some references.

Macy is not your typical nerd. While her passion is based in science and she is working on a drug to help cancer patient, she is more than capable of kicking some ass too. When people start to go missing and it is connected to her drug, things get more than real. Detective Jonas Rafe started secretly following Macy and keeping her safe at the request of his partner and girlfriend (who is also Macy’s BFF). Now that the four of them are a team, Jonas is able to openly protect Macy, assuming he does not drive her away first. These two both have their issues; LOTS of baggage, less than stellar communication skills, insecurities and more. Between their attraction for each other and the danger, the team gets put through trials that would bring most people to their knees and break them.

This book really floored me. While I loved Brutal and it was awesome, I think this is miles above in the story. I could not put it down once I started and honestly, that does not happen very often. Maybe it is the way Jonas and Macy are, but something about this story just seems so much better and engaging. I especially love the fact that they are not ‘perfect’ as individuals or a couple initially. The trips and mistakes made bring them to life in a way that no fairy tale can. Makes them more real and like people you know (or yourself at times). I must admit the s*** that goes down in the end of this was brutal and can really mess with your head. I don’t want to provide any spoilers but let me just say, be prepared for anything. And I do mean ANYTHING. And beyond the general ‘storytelling’ you can actually read into this and learn a thing or two. Some of the trials these guys are put through…you can take away a few things or if you go deep and really think about it you will see honest to god life lessons here. Maybe it is how not to do something, maybe it is the ‘I’m not alone in thinking like this’ or whatever. That is how well this one is put together

Throttle Me (Men of Inked Book 1)
Throttle Me (Men of Inked Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, fast & sexy ride, April 3, 2014
When you think you have everything planned out for your life, something will likely come along to blow up that plan. This is an excellent story that goes to show you what you think makes sense is not always what you need.

City and Abby could not be more different. Abby is a planner, a control freak; makes lists for everything has a plan for what she wants in her life, where it is going including what type of man she will be with. City is a motor cycle riding tattoo artist who gave up on love and just rolls with it as it comes. When he stops to help her with a broken down car, Abby is instantly intrigued but knows he is not going to be anything in her life. After all, he does not fit her ‘ideal’ of a man who can be her future.

This story of discovering how real life can throw the best laid plans out the window was such a great read. A fast paced and sexy as hell ride with just enough conflict to make you want to jump in and give them advice. You will fall in love with City and wish you were on the back of his Harley on the country roads. And if you choose, you can read into this and see the family values on both sides of this love story. Loyalty and family (both blood and otherwise) are defiantly strong underlying themes in both this and Kayden’s books. Anxiously awaiting the next one and I am sure it will be read in a day or two as well.

Play (Stage Dive Series Book 2)
Play (Stage Dive Series Book 2)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The characters make this book, April 3, 2014
Excellent if you want a fun, sexy and crazy story. The characters are so well written you feel like you are part of it. The humor, charm and overall character of each person is well thought out and developed over the course of the book. While this is the 2nd book in the series and could easily be read as a standalone, why would you? It is so much more entertaining when you know some of the history already.

There is such a great balance between the humor & wit and the serious within the two main characters, Mal and Anne. I think Mal’s twisted humor and sarcasm is one of the reasons I loved this book so much. I had several moments where I laughed very loud and actually had to stop reading a time or two. The way Mal and Anne get together is somewhat unconventional, but honestly pretty smart on Mal’s part. Yes, there is some heartbreak in the story, but overall it will leave you feeling great and wanting to rock out to your dream rock god.

Brutal (Detroit After Dark Book 1)
Brutal (Detroit After Dark Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique Characters, Action, Action, Action!, January 21, 2014
some. Almost like a Beast and Beast (instead of beauty and the beast) but very well done. This story starts by hitting the ground running. That is one of the things I really loved about this story. Unlike most stories that have calm, almost serene start (fluff?) to introduce the characters and story, this one just throws you to the wolves as you get introduced to Vanessa. The action never stops throughout this book; may slow a bit to catch your breath, but never fully stops.

Almost destroyed from a physical attack in her youth that left her with many scars (both visible and emotional) Vanessa is someone who cannot stand to be touched, in any way. This is a constant theme and provides quite a bit of tension through the book. The ease with which she overcame this with Rogan did seem a bit rushed and unusual; however I also know sometime it just takes the right person (in real life) I think the fact Rogan is also emotionally damaged and his understanding of Vanessa’s issues makes it all the more realistic. Still, I kinda kept expecting her to flip out on him at some point based on her history.

Overall, if you like action, don’t mind profanity (I mean, lots, not just an occasional word), a dark story and some sex, you will enjoy this book.

Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8)
Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror #8)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully creepy, scary yet awesomely fun. A Must Read!, January 7, 2014
Dex & Perry are just so much fun together, you simply cannot get enough. One word of warning: if you know Metallica, you may have a song stuck in your head while reading this one.

I am not one to get too spooked by a book. That is, not usually. This one, however, actually had me only reading it during the daylight hours. It could have been because it was the holiday season when I read this and all the emotions that play with you, but I simply could not read this at night (or at night alone). This story was really that spooky, creepy, and can really mess with your mind and keep you up at night if you read it before bed. Combine that with the wit, humorously blunt and sarcastic banter that is Dex and Perry (with a little Rebecca for spice) and it was one great read. As the investigation of the former sanitarium turned school unfolds, the creepy factor jumps from minimal to about a million. Things that go bump in the night, you think you saw something and it turns out, you were right. That feeling you are being watched? Yeah, you are. Rebecca does not see all of this, but knows it is nothing to laugh at. By the end, even she sees and is freaked out. And then the ending of the book. Just when you thought you knew how it will end…or you have an idea of what it will be...yeah, you have to read it for this twist I never saw coming. Looking back, yes, I see the signs pointing to it and it is brilliant! Can’t wait for the final book yet am sad it will be the end.

Right Now (The Seduced Series Book 1)
Right Now (The Seduced Series Book 1)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good story line; Needs SERIOUS editing, December 6, 2013
Book description and actual story seem to have be a bit disconnected. Based on the book description, I honestly expected a bit more action or conflict. At least 75-80% of the story is around the relationship. There is also no clear passing of time; how long was she actually being held? While I am not against the relationship building in a story, it could have been a bit more exciting and fun to read if there was a bit more. Something odd that happened that made her think ‘what does that mean?’ for example. When the actual confrontation takes place, I would have liked more there too. Overall, this is a good storyline, but seems like it could have been written better.

What seemed to be the ridiculous and odd lack of editing in this book. I am far from a grammar nut, but when it gets to the point where the poor editing interfere with the pace & reading of the book I must say something. I mean, know and now are two totally different words. And then there is the consistent issue of extra words or repeated portion of a sentence. I would consider a higher rating, however the editing issues really reduced my enjoyment of the book and I lost some respect for the author. Yes, I understand if there was an editor (I say ‘if’ because if there was, she should ask for her money back), they can change things, miss things, etc. Yes, books have some errors in them, but even self-published books usually have someone review the book for errors. But to the degree found here…I can honestly say a high school student could do a better job.

Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book 3)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good finish to the series but could have been better., November 4, 2013
I found this finish to the series pretty good, but not really great. I was glad there was an actual explanation as to what happened to cause this situation in the first place. However, I was somewhat disappointed in a few aspects of the story. Most people will be upset at the ending. Not getting the ‘happy ending’ you want tends to do that to most, however I for one think it would not have worked any other way. I was somewhat disheartened to find out they were in an experiment and there was the rest of the world outside the town. Based on many things mentioned in the first two books, I had this as a theory of what they were and I find being able to predict this plot twist a bit of a letdown. I mean, that has been done so many times, I was really hoping I was wrong. That being said, the actual story of how the group gets out of the town (that most of us already knew was Chicago) is very exciting and has a good pace. The conflict of the folks from the town against what they are being told is well done. As the outside reader, you know there is an angle to everything they are being told but see the struggle of Tris & Four trying to figure it out.

My major disappointment with this one is the more in the way it was written. I have read several books from dual points of view. In every one of them, you can usually tell which person POV you are reading from. Sorry to say, there were many (and I mean many) times I had to remind myself or figure out from other parts of the page whose POV it was. The tone, word choices, etc. are usually different between characters in some way, especially when you have one male and one female. Different ways of thinking, acting, etc. are one of the ways used to tell the reader about the character. It seems like this was not held to the higher writing standards of the original book. Yes, I know this is for YA readers, however I still expect better of the writer than this.

The Devil's Reprise
The Devil's Reprise
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Must read! Creepy, fast paced rock god craziness., October 31, 2013
When we last saw Dawn Emerson (aspiring music journalist) and Sage Knightly (rock star of the bank Hybrid), Dawn had helped save Sage from a bad mistake made with the devil that cost him his band before they parted ways. Sage now has a solo career that is taking off fast. He is a shadow of what is once was; indulging in the ‘typical’ rocker lifestyle; sex with anyone, lots of drugs & alcohol, music. He also does not want to admit how much he misses Dawn.
Dawn has been at home finishing school, thinking about Sage often. She still wonders about her Dad’s sudden soberness and him being a Dad again and her brother’s turnaround with his Tourette’s going away and having a normal happy life overnight. There is a weight that seems to follow her, like something is coming for her. When Sage calls out of the blue to invite her to cover his European tour, she is excited and nervous since she is not sure how Sage feels. Strange things start happening when she leaves for Europe and once she gets there, it gets even stranger.

This is a wonderful follow up to Devil’s Metal! Fast paced, lots of creepy stuff.. and our favorite douchecanoe from EIT Max is there! I could not put this down once I started. I LOVE Karina’s writing. The descriptions and words she uses to paint a picture make you see it so vividly and make you think you are there. And with the way she described the music…I found myself wishing there was a band or person that could make the songs Hybrid and Sage sang come to life for me to hear. I have not read anything by her so far that I have not liked and am always left wanting more. More of the characters, more of their story wondering what happens to this one or in 20 years.

The Dark Light of Day
The Dark Light of Day
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a typical romance. Crazy psychopaths, abuse survivors, small town gossip/secrets...this has it all and then some, September 17, 2013
This is one wild ride you about to get on. It is well worth it. Fast paced with suspense, mystery and darkness to both it is not your typical romance. It starts with a bang; lots of action and intrigue. Then it goes up a few notches from there. Two people with battered emotions, bodies and souls and are survivors in their own right meet by chance in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. As they try to help each other heal every step seems to be met with disaster and chaos that tries to destroy everything. Crazy psychopaths, killer for hire, abuse survivors, small town gossip/secrets...this has it all and then some. This has an epic ending that you will not see coming. It is heart breaking and heart lifting all at the same time. One word of warning: this book draws you in from the start and is hard to put down. It feels like you just HAVE to keep reading. The need to know what happens next just gets in you from the start

Abby comes from a very, very dark and troubled childhood. She has never known what love is, what is to be loved by anyone and kindness is not something she has ever received. The walls Abby built around herself to survive were strong and unbreakable by anyone. Or so she thought. Jake is a bad ass with some serious issues in his past as well. The deaths of his brother, his mother's suicide lead to an abusive time in his youth. Theirs is not a typical love/romance. While Jake and Abby work on becoming closer to each other, conflicts erupt and then escalate to what amounts to all-out war. Just when she starts to hope for the first time in a very long time she may finally see a small pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel, an unspeakable act of violence takes it all away. Have to read this to really understand and see how it all turns out.

Come Alive (Experiment in Terror #7)
Come Alive (Experiment in Terror #7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dex tells the best stories, August 2, 2013
Great read! Love Dex's point of view better so this is one of the best reads in my opinion. His POV is so much more entertaining and colorful to me. A definate must read.

Dex and Perry are back and on another adventure in New Orelans. This time with main douchecanoe Maximus leading the way. What they encounter is nothing they expected (as we know seems to be the 'norm' with them). Ghosts, voodo, magic...it's all here. We also get to see another side of Max and get a bit more insight into his past. Do not want to spoil anything so I have to leave it at that. Just keep in mind, this is Dex telling the story so it is much more twisted, vuglar and funny than if Perry told it.

Page: 1 | 2