Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for Jenny Rose > Reviews

Browse

Jenny Rose's Profile

Customer Reviews: 170

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jenny Rose RSS Feed (Lantana, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Shadow Maker (Nick Baron Series Book 2)
Shadow Maker (Nick Baron Series Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite page-turner!, September 24, 2015
Nick Baron had tracked and hunted Nasseem Kattan. Kattan was a terrorist that must be stopped. And Baron thought a bomb had finished it.

Nine years later, a suicide bomber made his move in Washington, D.C. just as Baron and his family drove by. He acted before first responders could and received a strange chess app notification on his cell. when his picture surfaced at the bomb site, Baron knew he was targeted. When a chemical used to track and engineer viruses is stolen, he knows the threat had increased exponentially. Nick Baron’s father is in town, Baron knows he must get his wife, son and father out of town, but can’t tell them why.

Once again, James R Hannibal has written another edge of your seat thrill ride. Chapters are easily read within a few minutes but drive you on to the next. And he does it all without bad language. I have been a fan of Hannibal for years and would recommend this book to anyone young adult and up.

Ever After High: The Unfairest of Them All
Ever After High: The Unfairest of Them All
by Shannon Hale
Price: $11.47
166 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Yester day and destinies, September 24, 2015
Everyone is still trying to figure out what to do about destinies. For Yester Day--a day to well-a-port to the current fairy-tales--Apple and Raven try to visit those who might have insight. Poor Maddie Hatter and the other Wonderlandians are already victims of one character going off-script and now it might happen all over again.

So many characters, so many personalities. Shannon Hale has done it again. It’s good clean fun--I’m an adult and don’t want to put it down. My middle schooler is following close behind and my upper elementary child is begging for her turn!

Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends
Ever After High: The Storybook of Legends
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, September 24, 2015
If you’re like me, you’ve wondered what happened after “They lived happily ever after.” Did those fairytales we grew up with just end, or did their lives continue on? Did they live normal lives like you and me, having children and grand-children who went to school?

Well, Shannon Hale has answered those questions in Ever After HIgh. In fact, for generations Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Mad Hatter, even the Evil Queen and more have been carrying on the tradition and playing out the stories. Their children, grand-children, great-grand-children … until we come to Apple White and Raven Queen’s generation. Apple has been dreaming of the safety of her scripted Happily Ever After. But Raven Queen doesn’t want to be evil and is bound and determined to search every possibility to see if she can escape the fate of being the Evil Queen.

As an adult I didn’t want to put this book down. I loved the way Hale translated things such as “texting” to “hexting” and instead of Facebook or Myspace they updated their “MyChapter” status. My 7th grader and 3rd grader are eagerly waiting their turns and I look forward to sharing it with them.

Avenger (The Halflings Series Book 3)
Avenger (The Halflings Series Book 3)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishing
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but a little too much romance for my taste, September 24, 2015
For the most part I enjoyed this series. It is definitely an improvement over the Twilight series as Mace and Raven tended to protect Nikki rather than inflicting harm. There were some good twists throughout the series.

However, I am not a fan of teen romance or Christian romance, so the series got increasingly mushy and sappy to me. It was clean though, so even though I am not a fan of the romance genre I would still recommend it to young adults and up.

I liked Nikki Youngblood’s character arc over the course of the three books. Beginning as a somewhat awkward and artsy with wide-eyed innocence learning about the spiritual world, to feisty, bring-it-on chick, and then gaining wisdom. Even Raven and Mace changed through the series.

While the Halflings look perfect, each one had an Achilles heel. Being the offspring of full-blooded angels and humans, halflings cannot have salvation, but are judged by their deeds. They still have a choice to make, and a lot more time for deeds and choices as their life-span is longer than humans. They can be injured and killed, but can self-heal. Heather Burch gave distinct characteristics to each Halfling (Raven’s living on the edge attitude, Vine’s sugar addiction, Zero’s knack for computers and addiction to juiceboxes, Glimmer’s fashion sense).

Overall, good writing that kept me turning pages and wanting to finish the trilogy.

Whatever After #1: Fairest of All
Whatever After #1: Fairest of All
Offered by Scholastic Trade Publisher
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer Ever After High, September 24, 2015
Abby recently moved to a new town where everything is different. The way they make sandwiches. The way they play tag. She doesn’t like this change. Her brother decides to look for adventure in the middle of the night. He discovers a mirror that hisses, changes color, and sucks them into another world--Snow White’s world. But Abby and her brother don’t just watch the story unfold but they make it, well, different.

While the story is creating and entertaining, I did not find it was engaging as Ever After HIgh. It is a safe, clean read for third grade and up.

The Battle of the Labyrinth Publisher: Hyperion Book CH; Reprint edition
The Battle of the Labyrinth Publisher: Hyperion Book CH; Reprint edition
by Rick Riordan
68 used & new from $1.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Another School year, another school, September 24, 2015
Another school year. Another school. This time Percy got in with the help of his mom’s new boyfriend who is also a teacher there. Unfortunately, his first day he is greeted by dracaenae which are kind of like vampires--but probably more frightening. Percy also runs into a familiar face--Rachel Elizabeth Dare--who can see through the god-mist. Percy escapes back to Camp Half-Blood but finds things are much worse than just blowing up another school. Luke is still working with Kronos to create an army to invade the camp. Nico is trying to raise his sister from the dead. The only way to save the camp and quite possibly the world is to venture into the ever-growing and changing Labyrinth.

Rick Riordan has done it again with another exciting installment that’s hard to put down.

Strawberry Dreaming: Mariah's Prologue #4 (The Vortex of Éire)
Strawberry Dreaming: Mariah's Prologue #4 (The Vortex of Éire)

5.0 out of 5 stars I could almost taste it, June 30, 2015
As I follow Grace Bridges and have subscribed to her e-letters, Strawberry Dreaming came up as a prologue freebie. I’ve already read The Dog With No Name and my interest was already piqued. I read expecting Mariah to fully describe the strawberry as she bit into it. Even in such a short story, Bridges drew me in and I felt like I was biting into thin air myself. These shorts that she puts out for her followers are like bread crumbs, whetting my appetite for more.

Write: A Forty-Day Devotional: 40 Reflections on Christian Writing (Rise, Write, Shine Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Less inspirational, but encouraging, June 12, 2015
While I didn’t not find this devotional as inspirational as 31 Devotions, and some entries did not really have a devotional tone, there were still many encouraging entries. Authors who had practiced their craft for many years before being published. Being stuck on a manuscript. Distractions. Sometimes the little things really are the important things. The place for fiction. The spectrum of the journey of writing.

The Dog with No Name: Mariah's Prologue #1 (The Vortex of Éire)
The Dog with No Name: Mariah's Prologue #1 (The Vortex of Éire)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tugged at my heart, June 12, 2015
I read this as a break from a much longer novel I’ve been reading. Owning two former strays, the name itself tugged at my heartstrings. Having read it, I would take in another if I could. The cover art also drew me in as a dog is woven into the Celtic design. Since this is a prologue, I’m curious how this leads into the main story of Mariah.

31 Devotions for Writers
31 Devotions for Writers

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend to others and would read again, April 10, 2015
31 devotions and not surprisingly it took me almost two months to get through. No, I don’t do my devotions every day. This is a devotionals written by writers for writers. Most of the entries I found encouraging and inspiring. Only one entry bothered me--it seemed to suggest that God made mistakes the first few times He created the world and had to have do-overs. That aside, I would read this again and recommend this to other writers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17