Profile for Julia L. Spriggs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Julia L. Spriggs RSS Feed (Mont-de-Marsan, France)

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats
Price: $12.33
97 used & new from $2.20

4.0 out of 5 stars C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!, July 27, 2010
When I found out Isa and Terry were making a cookies cookbook along the veins of their cupcake book, I was so, so excited. It was VCTOTW that pushed me from just vegetarian to vegan. Everything in this cookbook is AMAZING. The chocolate peanut butter pillows are quite possibly the most perfect cookie ever. I had a dinner party at my house, made those cookies, plus the banana ice cream recipe from Veganomicon, and I swear, despite everyone being super full, people could not stop eating the cookies.

I've tried a few other recipes, like the big fat rice krispie treats (I loved them, but my husband was meh on them - he's not vegan and wasn't crazy about the strong brown rice syrup taste), mocha mamas (yum), and the caramel pecan bars (AMAZING!). The latter 2 I made for a party at a friend's house, and while the mocha mamas were good, everyone raved about the caramel pecan bars. SO GOOD! The only recipe I haven't had success with were the lazy samoas, which turned out flat as pancakes - they tasted good - but I wasn't about to take them to a party as they looked a mess. However, thanks to the troubleshooting guide, I plan on trying them again soon and adding a bit more flour.

There is something exciting about cookies that no other dessert can convey - maybe it makes us feel like kids again? Because my husband went through this whole book and indicated all the recipes he wants to try. That alone makes the price of the book worth it to me.

Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
Price: $12.63
100 used & new from $4.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this book been all my life?, July 25, 2010
Before getting this book, the most adventurous I got with Latin cooking at home was making my own burritos. I seriously had no idea what I was missing out on! I've had this book for only a couple of weeks, but I can't stop making food from this cookbook - everything has been so absolutely amazing. So far I've made blean bean and plantain pupusas with curtido and latin tomato sauce, chorizo-potato taquitos, calabacitas, pan-grilled vegetables in chile lime beer, fresh tomato salsa, real brown sugar limeade, refried beans, latin shredded seitan, caraotas, cilantro lime rice, and yellow rice with garlic. The refried beans are KILLER, the cilantro lime rice is the best rice I've ever made. I think it's better than Chipotle's cilantro lime rice. The chorizo seitan sausages are absolutely delicious too, and I've started incorporating them in my tofu scramble. The only recipe I didn't have complete success with was the red steamed seitan, and I think I either needed to steam it longer, or it might not have turned out because my chickpea flour is old (it turned to mush when I made the latin shredded seitan). The only reason why I haven't tried any of the desserts is because I also got the new Vegan Cookies cookbook at the same time, but I'm sure I'll change that soon enough. I've got my eye on that tres leches cake, yummmm.

P.S. The latin tomato sauce is so delicious I've taken to buying fresh tortillas from Buford Highway Farmer's Market (up way north in Atlanta) and just dipping them in there. Sooooo delicious, and a great snack.

Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Price: $32.99
7 used & new from $32.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe for others, not for me., September 16, 2008
I like the idea of this litter box. Unfortunately, my cat always wanted to pee in the weird areas (right next to the screen, in corners, etc), and as a result, most of the time I had to open it every day to clear out the gunk. Not to mention, this litter box is a total pain to clean, and even with me giving it a thorough wash down every month, it still got disgusting pretty fast. I've now exchanged it for one of those top entry litter boxes, which is great because one of my cats used to kick up litter all over the place.

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
Price: $16.94
154 used & new from $9.58

3.0 out of 5 stars good recipes, perhaps too rushed into print, December 28, 2007
Now let me say first of all, I am a huge fan of the PPK. Their shows and recipes are what made me finally realize I can eat delicious meals without having to rely on meat, and I've been the happier for it. I also love their other two cookbooks.

For some reason though, I can never get Isa's pancake recipes to work though. I tried making the blueberry corn pancakes while at my in laws, and it was basically a giant nightmare (similar thing happened with the recipe from VwaV). Whatever, it may be something with me, I don't know. And I must say, for the most part, the recipes in this cookbook have been really good.

What I'm more annoyed about, however, is a number of glaring editing errors. There are a lot of spelling errors and misprints in the book. I was really looking forward to making the fudgy wudgy blueberry brownies, but for some reason there's mention of applesauce in the recipe instructions while it's nowhere to be found on the ingredient list. I tried looking it up on the PPK site but it's nowhere to be found, so I'm not sure if it's something they forgot to add to the ingredient list, or something they forgot to subtract from the recipe instructions, not to mention I have no clue how much I'd put in it. There have been other incidences like this throughout the cookbook, and it's starting to make me wonder if I should have waited until it went through another edition or something.

Anyway, the recipes really are tasty, I just think they rushed to print it and the recipes themselves I think suffer.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 3:41 AM PDT

Strangers with Candy - The Complete Series
Strangers with Candy - The Complete Series
DVD ~ Amy Sedaris
Offered by American_Standard
Price: $33.56
38 used & new from $25.00

2.0 out of 5 stars What a terrible release, July 18, 2006
First of all, I absolutely love Strangers with Candy. As I haven't had cable in a long time, my best friend bought me a copy of season 1 and was instantly hooked. Of course, the problem was that Season 2 went out of print, so I had seasons 1 and 3 and no season 2.

When I heard this complete series was coming out, I hesitated: I just needed the second season, but then when I looked, at the time buying the complete series was less expensive than just buying season 2. So, I decided to sell my copies of 1 and 3 and get the complete series. No need for extra copies, right?

I wish I had never done it. Like the reviewer on June 30, 2006 stated, the complete series is made in almost a binder form which is "cutesy" but extremely unpractical and cheaply made. I've already had a couple close calls where I've almost had DVDs fall out because they didn't click in currently.

The episodes with the extra edits were exciting at first, but on closer inspection makes the two episodes look like an amateur shot them, which makes it really irritating. There will be music and just suddenly cuts out. I mean, what? You think they would have tried a little harder for this new release.

I am really annoyed. I feel like buying the complete series was a ripoff. I wish I would have just bought season 2.