Profile for C. Alarcon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Alarcon "Master Uchual" RSS Feed (Markham, ON)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Philips goLITE BLU Light Therapy Device
Philips goLITE BLU Light Therapy Device
Price: $147.48
18 used & new from $120.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great energy and mood enhancer, December 15, 2013
I've been using this product for over a year now (i.e., two hibernation seasons) and I can honestly says that it works for me.

I normally use it for 15-20 min, twice a day. Usually while I'm in front of the computer screen. As many have already said, the feeling is not instantaneous, like the one you get from a strong cup of coffee. It's rather a sustained feeling of being more energetic and in better mood, and less of that annoying "blue" feeling that comes with the shortened daylight, darker and longer nights during winter.

My main complaint with this unit is the rechargeable battery. Mine stopped recharging after only 3 months of use. Now the unit is not so "portable", as I need to carry the charger around, and have a power outlet closeby. Not a major inconvenience, given my lifestyle and occupation, but it's something that demerits of the overall rating of the product. The battery is not conventional and it's not available from the usual online battery retailers. It's even spelled in the user's manual that the only time you take the battery out is to dispose of the unit. Not exactly a green or budget friendly product.

Casio Men's AE1000WD-1AVCF World Time Silver-Tone Bracelet and Digital Sport Watch
Price: $23.65
21 used & new from $21.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Initial Impression, July 5, 2013
I've had the watch for a few days, so I can't comment regarding durability. However, I had a Casio beater watch (also a 10-year battery, same price range) which proved trusty for almost 8 years.

Feature wise, this watch has plenty of nifty ones:

- Worldtime,including some of the "irregular" time zones that most World Time watches lack, i.e., Newfoundland time (UTC-3.5 h), Afghanistan - Kabul (UTC+4.5 h), India (UTC+5.5h), Nepal - Katmandu (UTC+5.75h), Burma - Rangoon (UTC+6.5h), Central Australia (UTC+9.5 h). The one missing is Venezuela's time zone (UTC-4.5h). As you scroll through the time zones, the three letter code of the city or airport changes, along with the time zone in the small Mercator map.

- You can set up to four time zones for easy time check, at the touch of a button (or continuously on Auto Display mode), from the main screen. Times can be set with or without daylight saving time (DST).

- Light is orange in colour, not too bright but plenty to see most details of the watch dial. It can be set for 1.5 or 3 seconds in duration.

- Five alarms setting (useful to wake up deep sleepers, if you set them at 1-2 min intervals) plus hourly chime. The volume is not too high.

- Stopwatch and countdown timer, programmable from 23:59:59 to one second (not sure who would need 1 sec timer, but there you go).

- A pretty gimmicky analogue type dial on the top right corner. It shows hour, minute and second.

- One cool thing that a lot of Casio watches lack: the characteristic beep when you press any button can be turned off; a good thing for keeping social etiquette.

The band is simple to adjust, the arrows point to the pins that need to be depressed in order to slide the links out. There's nothing fancy about it, but I find it comfortable to wear, and it does not pull any hairs from my wrist.

Bottom line: A bargain watch with plenty of good features, especially if you travel quite a lot. You can't go wrong with this Casio. Master approved.

Nintendo Game Boy - Original (Gray)
Nintendo Game Boy - Original (Gray)
73 used & new from $31.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, November 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Got this gem for my kids to play just like daddy used to back in the 80s. They love it (so do I). What's not to like about this baby? I have 4 games so far: Tetris (say no more), Supermario Land ,Supermario Land 6 golden coins (sweet!)and Pac-Man (classic of classics). My boys still love their wii, DS and iPod...but you should see them going nuts for a round of Mario o a good fruit buffet on Pac-Man...amazing!

Pac-Man
Pac-Man
Offered by atyourservice05
Price: $87.20
71 used & new from $1.51

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, November 12, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pac-Man (Video Game)
My two boys love to play Pac-Man. They can experience how dad used to play back in the day. This game is a true classic, basic LCD and all.

Panasonic RP-DJ120 Headphones (Ear-Cup) - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Panasonic RP-DJ120 Headphones (Ear-Cup) - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by sound systems
Price: $39.00
3 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, well priced heaphones, November 6, 2012
I purchased these headphones at an excess inventory store. I was looking for a decent pair of headphones at a low price. The folding feature is also really good, as I like to carry them in my travel backpack. They really fit well in there and do not take much room. The cable is fairly long (6 ft), so you need to keep it neatly organised, otherwise it can tangle easily.

Now, the sound is amazing on these little gems. Rich, deep bass and perfectly balanced middle and high tones. The ear cuffs feel really comfy, even after a few hours of use. They are not even close to be noise cancelling, but they are good enough for listening while in an airplane.

Overall, a really great pair of headphones for the price.

Casio GW500A-1V G-Shock Atomic Solar Watch
Casio GW500A-1V G-Shock Atomic Solar Watch
2 used & new from $199.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good initial impression - Updated, October 30, 2012
Just received my brand new G-shock. Very nice looking watch, substantial and sturdy. Not easy to conceal under the sleeve, but that's the point. You should show it off, so that the solar battery has always good juice in it. The atomic clock calibration signal works like a charm, as good as my Casio Men's WVA470DJ-1ACF Waveceptor Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch. It has dual timekeeping (with time zone code for 30 cities), good afterglow light (either on demand or automatic by tilting your wrist to check the time), the usual time signal, 4 alarms + snooze alarm, and stopwatch.

It lacks countdown timer, but instead has a time/date memo function, which allows to store the current time and date, up to 30 records. Personally, I found the countdown timer much more useful. I'll be posting updates with longer usage.

I definitively recommend this watch.

Update (05Jul2013):

I have had this watch for over 8 months now. The G-Shock reputation is alive and well with this little sucker. I've been working around a house we moved recently into, and boy let me tell you that it has taken quite a punishment. The slightly receded crystal helps to keep most scratches away. I am yet to see the first.

Regarding the atomic clock calibration feature, it works well for the most part. It calibrates almost nightly, only skipping one or two nights a month. My night table where it usually sits at bedtime is located quite a distance from the window (about 4 meters). I don't have any tall buildings or structures nearby, so I guess that's helpful.

The band is really comfortable and sturdy. It's easy to clean, and it does not keep any offensive odours, something I really appreciate, especially now in the summer time.

I am very satisfied with this G. I'll be posting updates for reference to people who might be interested on this watch.

Space: 1999 Resurrection
Space: 1999 Resurrection
by William Latham
Price: $18.00
15 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Actual End of Eternity, May 15, 2012
Well, for a Space:1999 aficionado like myself, this book is a must have. Its take of one of the darkest and best episodes of the Season 1 of the show is just perfectly executed. As some reviewers have already pointed out, it's a short book (132 pages). It could be best put a script write for a two part episode, the first being the actual End of Eternity episode. Kudos to Mr. Latham for keeping the storyline and writing so faithfully close to the original writing (as it's best described in the foreword by Johnny Byrne, one of the resident scriptwriters of this classic show). Trying not to disclose too much of the content of this book, I found the passionate discussion of Balor's true character, and reasons for his apparent madness, particularly engaging. At a philosophical level, he could be well placed along Camus, Nietzsche, and other true Existentialists, only with one exceptional advantage over these: he is actually immortal!
This is a short, but awfully entertaining book. It is a simple edition, pocket size book, therefore a tad overpriced, but still well worth it, IMO.

Casio Women's LWS200H-2ACF Solar Runners 120-Lap Light Blue Digital Sport Watch
Casio Women's LWS200H-2ACF Solar Runners 120-Lap Light Blue Digital Sport Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars my wife loves it, March 3, 2012
This is a nice, sporty lady's watch. Good size screen and characters, so it's easy to read the dial. She has not used the multilap runner chronograph, so no comment here for this feature. The light works nicely, not too bright but just enough. The battery charge has moved from Hight to Medium during the winter, but it has not impacted the functionality of the watch. It's lightweight and rough enough to take it to the outdoors, as well as true and tested for water resistance.

My wife loves it and that's enough for me. Highly recommended.

Kodak EasyShare C195 Digital Camera (Purple) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Kodak EasyShare C195 Digital Camera (Purple) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
10 used & new from $64.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, inexpensive compact camera, March 3, 2012
I just purchased this camera (refurbished) for less than $60. We are leaving for a week vacation to Maui, and I decided that my Pentax K-x 12.4MP Digital SLR with 2.7 inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Red) is too bulky to take to the trip, and my old Canon SD300 4MP is not up to the challenge for outdoor pics, thus I took a chance on this camera. So far, the test pics under various conditions have come nice. The photos show good resolution and colour balance. One star demerit for the small buttons, not good for a thick finger guy like myself.
I'll update more after returning from the trip, which I believe would be a real trial for this little camera. Cheers.

Update - 08 April 2012- Well, this little camera showed initially lots of promise, but I must say I am, in general, quite disappointed about the quality of the photographs. For a 14 MP camera, the photo quality is just average. That goes for an inexpensive camera, so I guess that was kind of expected. As a regular point and shoot, it goes well with most situations. Do not expect big things of this camera, and you won't be disappointed as I was.

Samsung B2030 20-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Glossy Black
Samsung B2030 20-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Glossy Black
4 used & new from $70.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding picture quality, February 5, 2012
First, let me tell you that this monitor is excellent. The picture quality has nothing to be desired. Contrast and colour warmth are fantastic.
Setup is very easy. As previous reviewers mentioned, the base kind of fool you into thinking it cannot be tilted, but in fact it can. I highly recommended using a DVI or HDMI cable to maximise picture quality (if available in the computer's card, of course). What I found a bit excessive is the price quoted by Amazon for a new monitor. I purchased this item during a Boxing Day blow last December (Boxing Day Sale, Dec 26, is the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday's) and pay about half the average price, so I recommend to look around for a good deal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3