Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for Elizabeth A. Fulcher > Reviews

Browse

Elizabeth A. Ful...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elizabeth A. Fulcher RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Winter Cottage
Winter Cottage
by Carol Ryrie Brink
9 used & new from $85.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanctuary, May 25, 2003
This review is from: Winter Cottage (Paperback)
Rarely, if ever, have fantasy and reality been so intelligently and lovingly combined; I read this book almost 30 years ago as a child, and find that it has even more power for me now at the advanced age of 39...for everyone who has ever stared down the barrel of reduced circumstances (dot-com, or other!)this story reminds one that honesty, integrity, creativity, and the simple desire to create a home can never be denied...and that the seemingly elusive joys of summer may be felt even in the coldest of winters.

Appetites: Why Women Want
Appetites: Why Women Want
by Caroline Knapp
132 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorrow and Satisfaction, May 25, 2003
More pragmatic than Kathryn Harrison, more emotional and romantic than Naomi Wolf, Caroline Knapp had the rare ability to lay bare her most elemental struggles as a woman of her generation, expanding the personal to a breadth of understanding that encompasses us all. I read her earlier book, "Drinking: A Love Story" years ago--largely in an effort to understand my own mother's alcohol addiction; confronted with issues of my own, I recently sought out this volume again, and was surprised and shocked to learn that Ms. Knapp had died, just after completing "Appetites". It came, however, as no surprise to me that she would have turned her attention to a broader scope of hunger and addiction, as I myself--and every woman in my immediate family--has battled both disordered drinking AND eating patterns. I devoured most of the book within 2 or 3 days--then spent over 2 weeks navigating the final chapters, as I was reduced to tears at the close of almost every paragraph. I found myself spilling copious quantities of ink both underlining and adding margin notes, so familiar was the language, the experiences she chronicled. I was particularly moved and impressed by the fashion in which she used intensely personal material as a starting place for a more scholarly investigation of the subject matter at hand; the book, which reads like a memoir, is nonetheless exhaustively researched and supported with extensive footnotes. I recommend it passionately to anyone who has ever felt overwhelmed by choice, exhausted by freedom, shamed by a hunger that seems insatiable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2011 3:18 PM PST