Profile for J. Arrington > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Arrington RSS Feed (Tampa, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
Seiko QXM283BLH Wall Clock
Seiko QXM283BLH Wall Clock
Price: $75.44
11 used & new from $67.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding musical clock, July 21, 2013
This review is from: Seiko QXM283BLH Wall Clock (Watch)
The clock is quite well-made, and I was struck by the fact that they chose real wood for the bezel and case, rather than the cheap plastic that most other manufacturers seem to use. The musical renditions are so much better quality than what is typically heard on this type of clock, and they are a nice change from the gongs, dings, and other bells that one sees everywhere else. I can't wait for the Christmas holidays, so I can change the musical selection switch to play the Christmas carols that are part of the musical options. Also, I am a light sleeper and hear every sound in the house. This clock has a light sensor, and when it detects no light, it turns off the music, which is a really nice, thoughtful touch. And finally, the clock mechanism was made by Seiko, and its movement is quartz timed, so no periodic adjustments (other than the silly semi-annual changes into and from Daylight Savings Time) are necessary. This clock is clearly a winner from every observable feature, and I highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 2:11 PM PDT

National Geographic Magazine
National Geographic Magazine
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, January 27, 2013
This review is from: National Geographic Magazine (App)
Though I have been a subscriber to National Geographic for years, I also grew up with the magazine (my dad had saved every issue he received since first subscribing as a young Army medical officer). I used to go through old copies as a youth, using them as sources and references for school papers and projects. Of the magazines I still subscribe to, many have fallen from their once lofty ideals and achievements, and now cost-cutting market forces have taken their toll - both in the quality and substance of their written content and the less-than-stellar photojournalism submissions (e.g., Smithsonian Magazine is fast becoming a shell of its former self). However, only National Geographic has maintained its adherence to quality in all aspects of its magazine, and in many respects, is even better today than when I first subscribed years ago. Plus, if you are a Kindle Fire owner and a member of Amazon Prime, you can get free downloads of each magazine to take with you wherever you go! This is a combination that is almost unbeatable, and has only reaffirmed my belief that National Geographic is one of the best magazines published anywhere, and head and shoulders above its few competitors.

Chiquilin Smoked Paprika Tin 2.64oz
Chiquilin Smoked Paprika Tin 2.64oz
Offered by Deals for Foodies
Price: $5.49
12 used & new from $1.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but EXPENSIVE!, April 11, 2012
This is a good-quality smoked paprika and will work well in just about any dish you need it for. BUT, the container is quite small and contains only 2.6 oz. For less than a dollar more ($.64, to be exact), you can get McCormick's version, which tastes virtually the same, and you get 8.5 oz. - which is three times as much. In addition, like the Chiquilin, the McCormick paprika is made from Spanish red peppers that are smoked over wood planks. Finally, it is available with Prime shipping, just as the Chiquilin is.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 7:51 PM PDT

Highland Sugarworks 100% Grade B Maple Syrup, 32-Ounce Jug
Highland Sugarworks 100% Grade B Maple Syrup, 32-Ounce Jug
Offered by whisperwind
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best maple syrup on the market., September 18, 2011
This is really outstanding, and far better than I expected it to be. I had read a comment in Cooks Illustrated that Grade B maple syrup has a much stronger, more pronounced flavor. I can remember as a child that my parents always bought maple syrup (rather than the imitation stuff now made from corn syrup), so I grew up with it. And I have occasionally splurged at the grocery and bought a small bottle, just as a reminder of how things used to be. However, my kids grew up with Log Cabin, Aunt Jemima, Mrs. Butterworth's, etc., which are products that have never been close to a maple tree or anything else remotely organic. However, when my kids have tried the "real stuff" they were unimpressed. But as the Cooks Illustrated article points out, most grocery store maple syrup is Grade A. So I wanted to see just how different Grade B syrup is from its better-selling sibling. Wow! I was stunned by how good that Highland Sugarworks syrup tastes - it is intense and complex, and I think far better than any syrup I have ever used. Both of my kids agree, and now refuse to touch the stuff based on corn syrup. Of course, now I have two big bottles of corn syrup-based pancake topping I bought at Costco that are not going to be consumed. Maybe I can donate them to the next Pancake Breakfast fund-raiser held at my church? But it is clear neither of my kids will be touching it, now that they have tried honest-to-God maple syrup, made the way it is supposed to be, from trees! Hats off to Highland Sugarworks - they have a real winner here, and Amazon sells it at a great price (and it is even cheaper if I sign up for periodic shipments). I am definitely a new fan!

Michelin MN-4410B Pistol Grip Tire Pressure Gauge
Michelin MN-4410B Pistol Grip Tire Pressure Gauge
Price: $10.09
3 used & new from $10.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job - but little more, August 18, 2011
This is a very basic tire pressure gauge that will show you an accurate pressure reading (if you don't take too long to check out the display) but does little else. For only a few dollars more, you can get other gauges that light up (useful at night or in dark places), that will "beep" (i.e., sound an audible signal) when the tire pressure is determined, and will remember the last pressure reading (or can remember the last reading from each of all four tires). I bought this in a moment of frugality (and because my other, better gauge was in the glove compartment of my other car, which was with my wife in another state), and it does the one job it is designed to do quite well. But I recognized almost immediately after it arrived that my moment of frugality had caused my disappointment and I should have simply purchased a duplicate of my other (and much better) gauge. If you need a basic gauge, this one is fine. But if you have had the luxury of one of the better gauges (which are also sold by Amazon), this one is unlikely leave you satisfied.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 12:21 PM PST

Bates Men's 5 Inches Ultra Lites Comp Toe Work Boot,Black,11 EW US
Bates Men's 5 Inches Ultra Lites Comp Toe Work Boot,Black,11 EW US
Price: $98.61
12 used & new from $96.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding professional-grade safety-toe tactical boots, August 14, 2011
I doubt if there is an officer in any of the military services who does not know the name Bates for shoes. They are the maker of inspection-ready Corfam-like dress shoes, and every officer and senior enlisted owns a pair. I also got to know them for their outstanding desert boots. I wore out my first set of desert boots in the Middle East, and was about to depart on another set of orders for Afghanistan when I checked in with the Supply Department to get another set. My feet, however, are quite wide, and the Supply folks were completely out of the standard government-issue desert boots in my size. "Not to worry," they said, and I was given an authorization slip that was good for any pair of desert boots in stock at the local Exchange Uniform Shop. And the folks at the Uniform Shop all recommended Bates Desert Boots (though at the time, I was unaware that Bates made a desert boot). Well, I have to tell you I am still wearing those desert boots - they stood up to everything that Afghanistan could throw at them, and are still quite serviceable.

Because of this experience with Bates boots, I did not hesitate when I needed a set of tactical boots for my civilian job. These have a composite safety toe that is as hard and protective as the steel version (and meets the same ANSI standard for toe protection), but slightly lighter in weight. The boot itself is also considerably lighter than similar full-leather boots, which makes a HUGE difference on your feet and legs after a long day of use. The side zipper makes getting them off at the end of the day much easier (which is really a plus when you are tired and sweaty and hate the thought of tugging and pulling just to remove your shoes). After five months of heavy, daily use, they show almost no noticeable wear. The sole is made with some anti-slip substance put into the rubber that really grips into pavement or concrete, even when covered with a film of water. My only complaint is that because I also have a high arch, I have had to add supplemental arch supports for daily use. All in all, of you need a great set of perfectly-fitting boots to protect your feet in hazardous environments, and intend to wear them day in and day out for long periods, this is perhaps one of the best on the market - at any price. The fact that Amazon carries them at such a relatively inexpensive price is a big plus.

GOGO Sports Headband / Sweatband, Terry Cloth Head Band - White
GOGO Sports Headband / Sweatband, Terry Cloth Head Band - White
Offered by ATAFA
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best sweatband on the market., June 17, 2011
I sweat - a LOT - and I have worn headbands for outdoor sports since my college days. In the past, I have always gravitated toward the better-quality headbands made by companies like Nike and Adidas. Sure, they are expensive (for something as simple as a headband, $10 to $15 seems like a lot), and if you need one in a hurry, you generally have to go looking for them in better sporting goods stores. A nd although colors for these brands are very limited, they look sharp, they always seem to do the job well, and they hold up better after repeated washings. Then recently, I stumbled upon the listing for these GOGO terry cloth headbands from ATFTA. They were VERY inexpensive (less than $2), and they came in 14 colors, so I thought I'd give them a try. I have to say I am impressed. They are thick, comfortable, stretch perfectly around my head (and my hat size is 8 ½), and and at 2" tall, provide more absorbent surface than either Nike or Adidas. I have worn them while playing tennis and while jogging, and they absolutely do the job every bit as well as their more-expensive competition, if not better. Plus, after 20 or so trips through the wash, they still seem as lush and absorbent as the day they arrived. I would say the time-tested quality is every bit as good as Nike or Adidas, and at the price Amazon sells them for, they are absolutely a bargain.

PC Tools Registry Mechanic 9.0
PC Tools Registry Mechanic 9.0
5 used & new from $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for cleaning up the Windows registry, September 13, 2010
I was amazed at all the errors this product found in the registry (running Windows XP with SP3). However, after Registry Mechanic cleaned up the mess that it found, that did not translate into the dramatically improved speed I anticipated, either for on-going operations or shortened boot-up time. After consulting additional reviews on various PC technical sites, I found my expectations were way out of line, and what I got was about all that realistically could be expected - from this or any similar product. For me to see true speed increases, I need to increase my PC's memory, and I am not sure it is worth the expense that would entail.

Anyway, the Amazon price was better than anywhere else I could find (including eBay), and delivery was fast and safe. All in all, this is a good product, it does an excellent job, and it is well worth the Amazon price. It is simple to use and does not require any expert knowledge by the user. Don't expect it to perform miracles, however, because if you are using it on a PC running XP, you are hampered by an old operating system running on a hardware platform that is likely out of date.

Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot
Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot
Price: $79.98 - $104.99

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING boots for hiking / everyday use., June 11, 2010
I have wide feet and somewhat high arches, which has made finding really good shoes for general wear somewhat difficult. And for that reason, I have stuck with New Balance shoes since my undergraduate days. They are well made, and have versions designed for various activities, including running, cross-training, and walking. And very importantly, they come in widths other than "medium," and provide the maximum benefit to my feet.

Recently on a trip to western North Carolina, I went hiking with a group of friends from the area. I soon found that my best New Balance shoes were not up to the task: the terrain soon overwhelmed them, and as the day went on, their ability to support my 200 lb. body failed. By the end of the day, my feet hurt so bad that I could barely walk. I was told that I absolutely needed to find a good pair of hiking boots if I was going to continue hiking.

I am one of those people who first do a lot of research before I make a new purchase, comparing features, price, availability, technical reviews, and feedback from those who have already made their choice. In the price range I was looking for, the signs all pointed to Hi-Tech. Lots of folks carried them, but Amazon's price was clearly the best. And so, tentatively, I ordered a pair.

I have now been wearing these boots for three months, and I have yet to put my New Balance back on for everyday use. I still wear business shoes to work, and the New Balance to run in, but the Hi-Tech Altitude IVs are absolutely my favorite. Why?

1. The fit was perfect from the first time I put them on. In fact, I would have to say my feet felt better in them almost immediately. The width was exactly as I needed, and the arch was just high enough to give me full support for a full day and still enable me to do everything I need.

2. They needed no "break-in period" and felt right from the first time I wore them. Even the desert boots I wore in the Middle East needed some period to adjust to my feet and to the way I walk, and the steel-toed work boots I bought from Wal-Mart still hurt my feet (after occasional wear for over a year). But these feel like an extension of my feet and skin.

3. They are waterproof, yet still allow my feet to breathe. Even my kids no longer run out of the room when I take my boots off (which used to be a regular joke around my house).

4. They seem to be wearing like iron. After three months, I cannot see any wear at all, not even negligible amounts. So I won't be buying another pair for a while.

All in all, these boots have my STRONGEST recommendation. You may find more costly boots, but I challenge you to find any that are significantly better.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 3:10 PM PDT

Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN® 6" Barber Shears with Finger Rest
Zwilling J.A. Henckels TWIN® 6" Barber Shears with Finger Rest

3.0 out of 5 stars Great price, but..., July 28, 2009
I bought these because I had grown a beard and needed a good pair of scissors to do fine trimming that is always necessary following the coarse cutting of electric clippers. These have stainless steel blades with beveled edges, which cut well but are nowhere near as smooth or accurate as scissors with curved blades. The grips for thumb and finger are coated with some type of plastic that is just textured enough to keep the scissors from slipping in one's hand. I had a beard years ago, when I was in graduate school, and then used a pair of surgical scissors to keep it neat and trimmed. Those scissors have been long gone, but it was the memory of how smoothly and accurately they cut that made me want to try these. I have several kitchen knives by Henckels, so I assumed the same quality and craftsmanship. Not so. These are not bad, and are no doubt a bargain considering the price, but they probably belong in the lower end of the overall quality spectrum for beard trimming scissors or barber scissors. My biggest complaint is that the blades are just too thick to do the fine work I wanted them for. Both blades, at the tip, have a combined thickness of slightly more than 1/4 inch, which makes it impossible to clip single hairs or do fine shaping around the mouth. The scissors are fine for overall shaping, but if you are looking for sometime that will help with fine trimming, keep looking.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2010 4:26 AM PDT