Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Brian R. > Reviews

Browse

Brian R.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 658
Top Reviewer Ranking: 619

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian R. RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit - Chrome
AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit - Chrome
Price: $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of shelves. Easy to put together., June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While a little bit shorter than I was expecting, but it still holds quite a bit. I like that it has built in leveling feet, because I used this in my basement and the concrete floors are never perfectly flat. Each shelf is adjustable and even with the shorter height, I was able to position the shelves so that the bottom two shelves can each hold two paint cans stacked and still have a bit of room for comfort. That made the 3rd shelf such that it can only hold one can, and the top shelf is positioned like in the picture - all the way at the top. You really don't need any tools to put together other than maybe a rubber mallet to set the shelves and a level to help with the feet. The wire shelves themselves are also plenty sturdy, and I suspect the weight limit is more around tipping concerns than the thing falling apart.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Apple MFI Certified Lightning to USB Cable (10 Feet) by Mediabridge - Flexible TPE Cable Jacket (Black/Grey) - (Part# 30-310-BG )
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the most flexible, but it does the job., June 17, 2015
I own numerous cables from all sorts of big-name and generic companies. I like the 10' length of this cable, and as expected, it works well with my iPhone. I've had it plugged into a car USB adapter and the cable length hasn't posed any problems with charging. It's nice to be able to reach across the car with it, and it doesn't pull out if I happen to need to take a call while it's charging. I'd say the one negative is that the TPE jacket isn't as flexible as some others that I own. If you need to constanly move this cable around, this can be an annoyance, but if you're just looking for a longer cable to reach from an outlet to a table, or from the back of your PC around the desk and up to your phone/iPad, then this shouldn't be an issue. I also like that the end that goes in the phone isn't way too big like some third party cables, and that it's molded to make it easier to grip when removing either end of the cable.

I received this cable for free in order to review. I was not obligated to provide a positive review.

E-Z Ink (TM) Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Brother TN630 TN660 High Yield (1 Black Toner)
Offered by E-Z ink
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality and reliability so far, June 17, 2015
I'm always hesitant to buy third party ink or toner simply because you never know what you're going to get. Manufacturers spend a lot of time testing their inks with their printers to ensure that not only does it look good, but also that it doesn't cause lasting issues within the printer. Additionally, quality inks and toner will have consistent output not just when the tank is full, but also as it nears empty. So far, this toner has been working perfectly in my Brother multi-function laser printer. It fits perfectly within the unit itself, and has restored our prints to being crisp and even throughout the page. Unless I find some performance issues 1000 pages later, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again.

Spectrum Algebra
Spectrum Algebra
by Spectrum
Price: $8.95
55 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent summer review and next year primer, June 15, 2015
This review is from: Spectrum Algebra (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My Daughter's been doing the exercises in this book for about two weeks now. She's pretty decent at math, but is kind of worried about Algebra as she enters the 8th grade. I think most of it is that Algebra is the transition point between math that has a straighforward methodoly and math that has implied rules that aren't always apparent. So far the book has been easy enough that it's easing her into the work by reviewing what she already learned up through 7th grade. As I flip through the pages, I can see it's getting progressively harder and becomes very challenging toward the end of the summer. The answer key provides a way to check work, and she's not the type to just use the answer key to write the correct answer without understanding how the problem is solved. Since the pages are perforated, you could remove the key before handing over to your child as well. We have several workbooks from this company (one general workbook for each of our 3 kids, plus this one) and I've found them to be very good at not being too difficult that it makes doing them a real chore, but still providing at least a little bit of a challenge to ensure the kids still have to us some brain power. Back to this book, though, I'm thinking it will be a great way for my daughter to get ahead of the rest of her class for Algebra, and since she has a really busy schedule during the school year, anything we can do to give her that advantage is well worth it.

As a parent, since the book starts with easier problems and progressively gets more difficult, you can also refresh your skill as you check their work. You may need to turn to some online resources as the problems get more difficult, and the book provides some options and guidance in that regard.

Cutter 95917 Natural Insect Repellent, 6-Ounce Pump Spray
Cutter 95917 Natural Insect Repellent, 6-Ounce Pump Spray
Price: $4.97
21 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong smell and decent protection without the chemicals of traditional sprays., June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Works pretty well on my kids when they're running around the neighborhood in order to keep typical mosquitos and other bugs away. I don't know I'd necessarily go on a camping trip with this without a backup of more traditional bug spray, though. However, the "natural" ingredients in this spray gives me a bit more assurance that my kids aren't being exposed to the chemicals like DEET on a near daily basis during the summer. I'd say the only downside, which is a by-product of using this type of product, is that it has a very strong smell. After I rubbed it in on my kids, my hands smelled even after washing. While the smell isn't terrible, it is strong and different than what most people are used to. Is it any worse than the smell of Deep Woods Off? Probably not. And while it does linger, I suppose that is also a testament to the fact that it won't easily wash away or fade if your child gets wet or starts sweating. Just be prepared that this isn't the typical smelling bug spray, so it might take some getting used to.

Lynx 00030 Chock R' Dock Wheel Chock
Lynx 00030 Chock R' Dock Wheel Chock
Price: $15.81
11 used & new from $13.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Super well constructed and heavy duty., June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This chock is very well constructed and seems thicker and chunkier in person than what the pictures show. When you hold it, it has serious weight and the plastic wall are very thick. That construction combined with the triangular shapes give it serious rigidity that stands up to a lot of abuse. The size it a bit big for normal car or mini-van tires, as it has a larger radius than most tires for those vehicles, but once the tire backs onto the chock a little bit, it's not going to go anywhere.

Verbatim PRIMALLOY 3D Filament, Flexible, 1.75mm 500g Reel, White (55500)
Verbatim PRIMALLOY 3D Filament, Flexible, 1.75mm 500g Reel, White (55500)
Price: $62.04
14 used & new from $57.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Good flexibility and works in my 3D pen, June 12, 2015
So far I've used this in the 3DFormer pen. It actually works pretty well though it oozes out even after releasing the feed button. You can minimize this by pulling back on the filament near the feed end of the pen to release some of the tension. It initially comes out clear but then goes back to translucent white as it cools. For 3D pen use, it's much more difficult to draw vertically since it doesn't cool as quickly and since it tends to ooze. That said it a really unique filament that's fun to use. The pen I have is somewhat like a Bowden tube in that the drive gear is at the entrance of the pen, while the hot-end is at the opposite tip. The total length it has to travel within the tube is only 4-5 inches, so it hasn't presented a problem in that short length. I do think that since the filament has to liquify, and have the solid filament pushing on the liquid filament to force it out the nozzle, that the filament within the tube (between the hotend and the drive gear) is under some compression and this is why it oozes. When I pulled back on the filament where it enters the pen, it helped stop the unwanted oozing. I'd suspect this is part of the issue with any bowden style feed mechanism.

I have yet to put it in a 3D printer but plan to do so soon. My
Library has a makerspace with a Makerbot, Rostock max, and a Robo printer. They only allow Makerbot filament in the the Makerbot due to warranty concerns and the Robo was out for repair. I didn't push to try it in the Rostock due to the extruded design though if we have success in the Robo then they might let me try it.

One additional note - don't confuse flexibility with elasticity. When pulled hard enough, the filament will permanently deform. It's not like a rubber band that will go back to its original shape when stretched. It is flexible and will go back to its shape when bent or twisted, but cannot be stretched and expect to do the same. Also, it's not "squishy" in that you can't make a fully solid object with 100% infill and expect it to be soft. Thinner walls and more space inside will help retain more of its flexible properties that you'd expect.

I received a spool for free to evaluate and write a review. I was not obligated to provide only positive comments and I hope to update in the future with 3D printer results.

Georgie Beauty The Ultimate Lash Curler
Georgie Beauty The Ultimate Lash Curler
Price: $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No pinching and good construction, June 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Works really well for my daughter. It's a bit better constructed than the last cheap one she had as the metal is a bit thicker. The pivot points are strong and don't allow a whole lot of flex in the wrong direction. She really likes it because she says it doesn't pinch or pull her eyelashes like her old one did.

CHUCKIT CHUCKIT! ULTRA SQUEAKER BALL SMALL
CHUCKIT CHUCKIT! ULTRA SQUEAKER BALL SMALL
Price: $4.79
11 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ball, even if my dog won't fetch., May 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Really durable, bounces well and has a great squeak. Too bad my dog won't chase it - she's practically afraid of it and just stares as it rolls down the hallway. I thought maybe the squeaker would get her to want to play with it since she likes fuzzy squeaky toys. Oh well, but the ball is great.

Nerf Super Soaker Zombie Strike Splatterblast Blaster
Nerf Super Soaker Zombie Strike Splatterblast Blaster
Offered by shopWOOP!
Price: $15.70
26 used & new from $14.87

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design and very unreliable, May 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This water gun uses a dip tube to suck water out of the reservoir vs. the old style where you use the pump to pressurise the reservior. So, it only shoot when you pump the front handle, and there is no actual trigger. Since there's four nozzles shooting water, the range is medium and the nozzles disperse the water somewhat rather than shooting four smooth jets.

The real achilles heel is that the dip tube sits back by the handle, so if the water is sloshing, or even worse, you have the gun pointed downware, it only sucks air into it and you have a misfire. In my opinion, this is a really bad design. Water gun fights are mobile -you're running, ducking, and shooting at all angles. This gun isn't made for that. Anything other than standing still or firing upward, and performance and reliability is very poor.

Should a short zombie be creeping on the ground, or coming from below, you better hope you have a backup, because this gun won't shoot.

The light up reservior is a nice idea, but it's unviewable in the day. The lid for filling is a good design as it only needs a quarter turn to seal/unseal, but smaller kids used to screw tops don't always understand it. Unfortunately, it only can be closed if lined up in a single position, so while this keeps the lid lined up with the gun, it's harder to find the right spot when in a hurry from reloading.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30