Profile for Brian R. > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 548

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian R. RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Commercial Cool WPAC12RPZ 12000 BTU Portable 3-in-1 AC/Dehumidifier/Fan, Platinum
Price: $327.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but it's loud and isn't all that great of a dehumidifier compared to traditional ones., June 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, my unit was somewhat damaged during shipping which really surprised me. The thing was triple boxed: the innermost package had a top and bottom plate on the unit with a fairly decent air gap around the sides. Then came a box around that, followed by another box around that box, and a third wrapping of cardboard as well. But, when I opened it, the left side of the unit had a gap, screws had popped out of the housing, and it was obvious this was from trauma vs. just not being put together in the first place.

Well, even so, it still works well. I've mainly been using this in its capacity as a dehumidifier, and in that respect it's a bit odd in how it operates vs. other dehumidifiers. First off, it doesn't have a reservior that can be removed and dumped. The only way to drain it is via the two drain ports. The lower drain port is only for catching A/C condensation, so the upper port is the one for dehumidification. I don't like how this upper port is only stoppered by a rubber piece that friction fits. There's no threads for capping it. I once made the mistake of somehow knocking it loose or something, then letting it run. The next morning I had a carpet puddle. I won't hold that against the unit, since that was my error in not properly checking it. But what I don't like about this setup is that any time I want to empty the unit, I need to wheel it outside or to a place with a floor drain, or maybe even a toilet. For the lower drain for the A/C condensation, you don't have much choice other than outside or a floor drain. The inability to remove a reservior could be a deterrent for some applications.

Secondly, on dehumidification, there's no way to select or modify the fan speed, and despite the product description, I found the high setting it chose for itself to be pretty loud and it moves a lot of air. This air comes out both the front and back of the unit, and frankly it seemed to me like it was using the a/c feature because the air coming out of the front was very cold and out the back it was hot. Measuring with a thermometer/humidy device, there was around a 20-30 degree differential between the two sides. This is the next point - that differential will heat a room if not venting to the outside, which for dehumidification only seems like overkill. My first use was in a small enclosed office where I store photos and other moisture sensitive items. The next day this room that normally stays in the mid to upper sixties (it's in my basement) was near 80 degrees.

As for venting, while it comes with a window adapter and flexible hose, it's questionable how exactly you'd use this in a garage or room with no windows. Not venting, my use showed a significant increase in room temperature, and for a/c use would only be even worse, as all that hot air has to go somewhere. For garages and rooms like my office that only have door entries, you'll have to think how you'll exhaust the hot air from the rear of this thing first.

Nerf Super Soaker FlashFlood Blaster
Nerf Super Soaker FlashFlood Blaster
Price: $15.99
6 used & new from $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars H These new super soakers don't use the old method of pressurizing the ..., June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Combo pump water stream and pool shooter draw system. Reservoir holds only four full draws for the pool shooter style of shooting. H

These new super soakers don't use the old method of pressurizing the water reservoir but rely on dip tubes to draw water. Luckily this one's tube ends near the handle fill cap so it can still shoot even as the water is getting low.

Works better on level than zombie strike but still won't shoot pointed downward. This is the main drawback of these guns - you must always keep it level or pointed slightly upward.

Overall an ok gun but nothing outstanding. The water runs out pretty quickly and the tube draw mechanism is slow and uses a lot of water. It's also kind of hard for smaller kids to use easily.

ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you find the stuff clogging up your Kindle!, June 23, 2015
This review is from: ES File Explorer (App)
Awesome app for our kids' Kindle Fires. They were always running out of space and the built-in features of the Kindle aren't 100% effective for showing you see where that space is being used. I was able to delete a bunch of orphaned app data, photos, videos, etc, and then I found the real culprit - about 2-3 dozen Minecraft worlds! Those don't seem to factor into the space being used by the app within the Kindle's space usage calculations. Rather than risk deleting those worlds myself and have the mincraft block sky falling in when my kids find their favorite worlds deleted, I pointed out they needed to delete the worlds they no longer use. Now they have more space to be able to install other apps and I don't need to do a daily ritual of helping them delete something to install a new app.

Captive Cables - Cable Management Sleeve [4 Pack] - Cord Management System for PC / TV / Home Entertainment
Offered by Otley Creations Limited
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best used for bundles of 3-8 cables all travelling to & from the same general locations., June 21, 2015
When it comes to cable management, there's plenty of options. Things like wire ties and velcro wraps are great for being able to secure cables to other objects as well as bundling them with each other. Spiral sleeves keep wires contained along the length of the cables, and like ties, allow you to have cables enter/exit at any point along the wire run. The down side to both of those is that it's cumbersome to get cables in or out because you have to unwrap or unravel the ties or wrap. This product provides an easy to use zipper and completely hides the cables, but it sacrifices the ability to customize the length of the wrap and the flexibility of bringing other cables into or out of the bundle at any location. Because of this, these are best used when you have a good number of cables that will be free-hanging (not attached to a desk, etc), and will all be travelling to and from the same location. I used these in a couple locations and found that for 1-2 wires the sleeves were much more bulkely and didn't add a whole lot of organization. But, when bundling more than that, it helped contain them and generally didn't take much more space than the free hanging wires when not bundled. One exception is for visible wire runs against a baseboard - for this situation, while the sleeve is bigger in size than the wires, the black color helps to conceal different colored wires, white stripes on the wires, etc. Obviously, for longer runs, you need more than one sleeve and it's unfortunate they can't be attached or fastened together if desired. Lastly, working with a zipper and a bundle of wires in a confined, dark location like under a desk can be a challenge. So, if you plan on adding/removing cables often, these might not be the best choice unless you have clear access with both arms and hands. Overall, this is a well-made product that has its advantages and disadvantages depending on your specific situation.

I received a free sample of this product. I was not obligated to provide a positive review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - 4 Piece Set (Small, Medium, Large, and Slim)
AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - 4 Piece Set (Small, Medium, Large, and Slim)
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes they are basic, and functional, too., June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used these for my son's camping trip with Scouts. They pack everything in plastic totes, so it usually comes back a one big mixed ball of clothes, sleeping bag, toiletries, and mud. These really helped organize his clothes and while stuff still came back all mixed up, at least the clean clothes were still in the cubes. The cubes didn't protect against him throwing wet stuff along side them (since they're mesh), but it was still way better than usual. The only reason I kept one star off is for the zippers. I felt they weren't the greatest quality or easiest to use. Since the cubes are lightweight and flexible, this really places more importance on having quality zippers. These ones aren't the cheapest, but they're barely mid-grade. This causes some sticking and friction, which when paired with the lightweight mesh and nylon can sometimes be a hassle. On the bright side, after unloading everything into the washer, these went in, too. Following up with the dryer, they came out in tact and without any tearing or other damage. I'm glad to have these and while I wouldn't place these as "premium" compared to other brands, I think they at least live up to their "basic" moniker.

Zillionz Talking Cash Register - Blue
Zillionz Talking Cash Register - Blue
Price: $39.99
11 used & new from $26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not the very best, but still better than most, June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 7 year old loves this cash register. The play factor is great with the mic, credit card and working scanner. As a parent, there's a few things I wish were done a bit better.

As for its function, it only performs basic add/subtract functions rather than real cash register functions like creating a total, inputting how much the person paid, then showing change due.

The mic volume isn't adjustable, and while that's sometimes good, it's actually a bit too low. You have to have your mouth right next to it in order for it to pick up your voice, and then your own voice is almost louder than the mic.

The scanner works, but only if it's lined up correctly. If you try to scan real barcode, it usually defaults to saying $4.99. It works by having 3 LEDs that look for a thin or thick black line, which then controls how much light goes into the corresponding three sensors.

The drawer works, but sometimes takes a really firm press of the button to work right. The drawer dividers are bigger than real money, so there's three spots for bills and four for change - plenty enough for any lemonade stand.

As compared to other registers, we've had better and worse. The learning resources was probably the most durable, while other ones that had a nicer mic didn't have the real scanner. So this one sits kind of in the middle, but it's fine for what it is and our son likes it.

AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit - Chrome
AmazonBasics 4-Shelf Shelving Unit - Chrome
Price: $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of shelves. Easy to put together., June 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While a little bit shorter than I was expecting, but it still holds quite a bit. I like that it has built in leveling feet, because I used this in my basement and the concrete floors are never perfectly flat. Each shelf is adjustable and even with the shorter height, I was able to position the shelves so that the bottom two shelves can each hold two paint cans stacked and still have a bit of room for comfort. That made the 3rd shelf such that it can only hold one can, and the top shelf is positioned like in the picture - all the way at the top. You really don't need any tools to put together other than maybe a rubber mallet to set the shelves and a level to help with the feet. The wire shelves themselves are also plenty sturdy, and I suspect the weight limit is more around tipping concerns than the thing falling apart.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Apple MFI Certified Lightning to USB Cable (10 Feet) by Mediabridge - Flexible TPE Cable Jacket (Black/Grey)
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the most flexible, but it does the job., June 17, 2015
I own numerous cables from all sorts of big-name and generic companies. I like the 10' length of this cable, and as expected, it works well with my iPhone. I've had it plugged into a car USB adapter and the cable length hasn't posed any problems with charging. It's nice to be able to reach across the car with it, and it doesn't pull out if I happen to need to take a call while it's charging. I'd say the one negative is that the TPE jacket isn't as flexible as some others that I own. If you need to constanly move this cable around, this can be an annoyance, but if you're just looking for a longer cable to reach from an outlet to a table, or from the back of your PC around the desk and up to your phone/iPad, then this shouldn't be an issue. I also like that the end that goes in the phone isn't way too big like some third party cables, and that it's molded to make it easier to grip when removing either end of the cable.

I received this cable for free in order to review. I was not obligated to provide a positive review.

E-Z Ink (TM) Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Brother TN630 TN660 High Yield (1 Black Toner) Compatible With DCP-L2520DW DCP-L2540DW HL-L2300D HL-L2360DW HL-L2320D HL-L2380DW HL-L2340DW MFC-L2700DW MFC-L2720DW MFC-L2740DW Printer
Offered by E-z ink
Price: $14.90
2 used & new from $14.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality and reliability so far, June 17, 2015
I'm always hesitant to buy third party ink or toner simply because you never know what you're going to get. Manufacturers spend a lot of time testing their inks with their printers to ensure that not only does it look good, but also that it doesn't cause lasting issues within the printer. Additionally, quality inks and toner will have consistent output not just when the tank is full, but also as it nears empty. So far, this toner has been working perfectly in my Brother multi-function laser printer. It fits perfectly within the unit itself, and has restored our prints to being crisp and even throughout the page. Unless I find some performance issues 1000 pages later, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again.

Spectrum Algebra
Spectrum Algebra
by Spectrum
Price: $9.25
35 used & new from $6.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent summer review and next year primer, June 15, 2015
This review is from: Spectrum Algebra (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My Daughter's been doing the exercises in this book for about two weeks now. She's pretty decent at math, but is kind of worried about Algebra as she enters the 8th grade. I think most of it is that Algebra is the transition point between math that has a straighforward methodoly and math that has implied rules that aren't always apparent. So far the book has been easy enough that it's easing her into the work by reviewing what she already learned up through 7th grade. As I flip through the pages, I can see it's getting progressively harder and becomes very challenging toward the end of the summer. The answer key provides a way to check work, and she's not the type to just use the answer key to write the correct answer without understanding how the problem is solved. Since the pages are perforated, you could remove the key before handing over to your child as well. We have several workbooks from this company (one general workbook for each of our 3 kids, plus this one) and I've found them to be very good at not being too difficult that it makes doing them a real chore, but still providing at least a little bit of a challenge to ensure the kids still have to us some brain power. Back to this book, though, I'm thinking it will be a great way for my daughter to get ahead of the rest of her class for Algebra, and since she has a really busy schedule during the school year, anything we can do to give her that advantage is well worth it.

As a parent, since the book starts with easier problems and progressively gets more difficult, you can also refresh your skill as you check their work. You may need to turn to some online resources as the problems get more difficult, and the book provides some options and guidance in that regard.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20