Profile for Brian R. > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 411

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian R. RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ivation Universal Wireless Car Bluetooth FM Radio Transmitter Car Kit with USB Adapter - Wirelessly Stream Audio or Phone Calls from Your Phone to your Cars Speakers - Connects to your Phone via Bluetooth and Connects to your Car via your Chosen FM Channel
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $36.99
2 used & new from $36.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A really well-thought out and functional device for those of us with modern phones and ancient car stereos!, January 30, 2015
This is a really slick device. It bridges your phone to your radio without any wires at all. Simply connect it to your phone via bluetooth and to your radio via FM station. Additionally, the FM transmitter has its own internal battery and can disconnect from the flexible arm.

The FM transmitter can be set to any frequency in 0.1 increments, which was more resolution than my radio's tuner. It outputs a pretty strong signal (instructions say up to 5m). The only time I got static was if another FM station overpowered it on the exact frequency I was using. I had this problem a couple times as I drove. I'd find a station that was all static, plus static on the stations on either side of it. But, during my drive a station would come into range and cause some static. This only happened with stations that became very clear on the exact frequency I was using, so I don't consider it a problem with the device, but rather with the station I chose. Long story short, you'll need to experiment a bit to find a clear station that stays clear for a regular commute, and for longer drives, you may need to adjust it from time to time. With a clear station, I was able to have the transmitter in the back seat, and even enclosed in my center console without any issues with reception. Again, the fact that it can be used via the internal battery for up to 2.5 hours allows this to be an option.

Adjusting the station is very easy via the lower silver ring (to the left of the display). Simply twist it and it changes. A small bump or twist wakes it up, then you twist it more to adjust. This prevents accidentally adjusting it.

The Wider silver part adjusts the volume of the FM transmitter. I found that with my phone volume at 100% and the transmitter volume at its highest setting, the audio was slightly softer than a strong radio station. The blue ring just below this is the indicator light, where orange is charging, solid blue is connected via bluetooth.

The top of the unit has a multifunction button. Holding it in turns it off/on. A single press will pause/play music or answer/hang-up a call.
There's also skip buttons to the left of the display.

The FM transmitter attaches to the flexible neck via a very strong magnet. It works really well! Also, since the connection is cylindrical, they've made grooves in the connector to keep it from rotating while driving and allow you to position it at any point for clear viewing of the display. This lets you put the gooseneck in any position and still be able to see the display.

The lighter plug also has rubber spots to help hold it in place even at odd angles. This is useful for me, since I have to have the gooseneck pointing sideways rather than upwards like in the product picture.

The USB port is LED lit and has a 1A charging rate.

About the only criticism I have is with some of the dials, in that they have some resistance or slight grinding. It's very small, but I'd prefer they operate completely smoothly.

Dorman Hardware 4-9845 Peggable Wire Basket Set, 3-Pack
Dorman Hardware 4-9845 Peggable Wire Basket Set, 3-Pack
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit my 1/4" pegboard, January 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These don't fit my pegboards. The upper part fits fine into the pegboard, but then as I rotate and lower the basket into place the lower set of posts hits against the board instead of lining up with the holes. This isn't so bad with the largest basket, but it makes the smallest one completely unusable. Otherwise I like the coating on them and the size.

SKLZ Double Double 2-in-1 Shooting and Rebounding Basketball Trainer
SKLZ Double Double 2-in-1 Shooting and Rebounding Basketball Trainer
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is really sturdy and keeps the characteristics of the ball hitting metal, January 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This thing is really sturdy and keeps the characteristics of the ball hitting metal. I say that because I also have a rubber rim-reducer and the thing I never liked about it was that it deadened the ball impact, plus it sat higher. With this one, the only change to the rim are the four small attachment points. Plus with this one, you can attach the rebound trainer, so it's more versatile.

Dorman Hardware 4-9820 Peghooks, Value-Pack, 28-Piece
Dorman Hardware 4-9820 Peghooks, Value-Pack, 28-Piece
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a pretty good assortment to get you started, January 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty good assortment to get you started. The quality seemed similar to that of the hooks I found at Big Lots, but I got those so long ago, I'm not sure how the price actually compares. My suggestion would be to decide based on price, as there's nothing particularly different about these hooks.

Chemical Guys SPI66316 InnerClean Interior Quick Detailer and Protectant - 16 oz.
Offered by NY Detailing
Price: $13.00
2 used & new from $12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it did a pretty good job, January 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this throughout my car yesterday. I thought it did a pretty good job, and I was glad to have a cleaner made specifically for cars vs using some sort of household cleaner. I'd say it worked just about as well as any household cleaner, but left the dash and vinyl better protected. It got out most light scuff marks from shoes, grubby hands, and did great at lifting out stuff from cupholders and other crevices.

I wasn't too thrilled with the yellow color, but I haven't noticed any staining of fabric. The other plus is that while it kind of smelled like coconut while using it, the next day I didn't really notice any strong lingering smell. It also left the dash and vinyl with a nice satin shine. It didn't feel too heavy or greasy on things like the smoother black trim, either.

Using a cloth, it didn't lift out deeper dirt in the mottled crevices around heavily used areas, nor did it touch some of the darker scuff marks from shoes. I'd suspect using a soft brush would gather better results. I usually use Meguiar's Natural Shine, and this cleaned better, gave a similar appearance after using, and I didn't feel the need to follow up with the Meguair's.

Disney Frozen Hairstyles: Inspired By Anna and Elsa
Disney Frozen Hairstyles: Inspired By Anna and Elsa
by Theodora Mjoll Skuladottir Jack
Price: $9.77
24 used & new from $5.76

4.0 out of 5 stars she still really liked a lot of the styles in this book, January 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter loves to braid her hair, even at 13. So while she's a bit old to replicate Anna and Elsa, she still really liked a lot of the styles in this book. They gave pretty detailed instructions and she liked that they started off with some easier ones. She said some of them required longer hair than she had, and while she could do most of them herself, there were some that kind of need someone else to do them to you (or at least it would be a lot easier that way).

From a parent's perspective, it had a lot of great pictures as well as illustrations of each step and there were enough varieties of styles that most girls should be able to find several that they really like and probably haven't seen before. In addition to all the styles shown in the movie, there's plenty more.

VELCRO Brand  - Sticky Back for Fabrics: No sewing needed - 24" x 3/4" Tape - White
VELCRO Brand - Sticky Back for Fabrics: No sewing needed - 24" x 3/4" Tape - White
Price: $8.54
12 used & new from $5.03

2.0 out of 5 stars The velcro was a bit thicker and less flexible than ..., January 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The velcro was a bit thicker and less flexible than I thought it would be. I really thought this would be a different type of velcro, or that it would be on a super-flexible backing, as it advertised itself as not being visible or affecting how clothing looks with it. I don't find that to be true - it's simply normal veclro with a sticky backing made to adhere to fabrics.

Focusrite iTrack Pocket Portable Stereo Microphone and Guitar Input for iPhone Video Creation and Sharing
Price: $99.99
10 used & new from $89.95

4.0 out of 5 stars it does work pretty well and provides nice sound from the two microphones, January 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What you don't see in the product picture is that you actually plug this thing in to the lightning connector of your phone. The phone fits where the red piece is on top, which has a pre-made groove in it. Unfortunately, it's not wide enough to accommodate a case of any sort of thickness. Those things aside, it does work pretty well and provides nice sound from the two microphones. It's nice to have stereo mics, but realistically, you're probably not going to be recording anything that would benefit from stereo pickup. Plus, since your phone camera sits to one end of the phone, to center yourself in the picture, you're really going to be slightly closer to one side than the other. To combat this, you can also plug your guitar's jack directly into it, if that fits with what you're going to record. Anyways, it works well, is well made, but given the single connector type, lack of space to accommodate a phone in a case, I wonder about shelling out the cash for this as it may be obsolete when apple decides to change the lightning cable.

LeapFrog LeapTV Sports! Educational, Active Video Game
LeapFrog LeapTV Sports! Educational, Active Video Game
Price: $22.49
29 used & new from $10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I've seen much better learning games and don't feel this is unique or all that helpful., January 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The sensor is hard to deal with unless you have a lot of light near the front of your TV. It's also hard to get the right position so that you're considered the right distance away. But, then when you're the right distance away, it wants you to move really far to the left and right to actually play the games.

I also found the software just doesn't seem to be programmed well. It seemed to have bugs such that when you try to select an option it kicks you out to the previous menu.

Also, as for educational, some activities really phone it in. I don't consider being asked to answer a math question, and only then get to play a mini-game for a few minutes really integrating learning with fun. Not all activities were this bad - some had you making matches or doing math problems while playing, but even for me as an adult, it was sometimes hard to focus on the parts of the screen that you need to watch to solve the problem, but meanwhile the actual action is occurring on a different part of the screen.

LeapFrog LeapTV Dance and Learn Educational, Active Video Game
LeapFrog LeapTV Dance and Learn Educational, Active Video Game
Price: $21.99
26 used & new from $17.40

3.0 out of 5 stars I found this game very frustrating since the movement sensor ..., January 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found this game very frustrating since the movement sensor needs so much light to function properly. In our living room, there's no lights near the TV, and most of the room light ends up behind or to the side of my kids. The sensor can't deal with this and unless it's the middle of the day, they can't even play the game.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20