Profile for Brian R. > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 473

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian R. RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins with Omega 3 Fish Oil and Vitamin D Diet Supplement, 120 Count
Price: $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't taste good, don't smell good, and you have to eat 4, April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If your kids like old-fashioned gum drops (really chewy with an indistinct over-sweet taste, topped with sugar crystals), they might be able to tolerate these -- if they also don't mind the odd smell. On top of that, a kid's serving is four gummies. Most every other vitamin only uses two to get the RDA, so if your kids don't end up liking these, then it's going to be tough to get them to down four of them.

Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Quality All-Purpose Mix, 20-Pound (Not for sale in Louisiana)
Price: $29.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but expect to use more than recommended., April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overseeding was ok, but not great even though I did it just before we got a week of rain and mild temperatures. I've gone back over the more bare spots by hand and have now used the entire bag on a <5,000 square foot lot. I'm hoping for better and denser germination from that second pass on just the trouble areas. The coating is ok, but it basically looks like they just coated it with some peat moss, so nothing special and certainly not enough to really make all that much difference in real applications. Plus it creates a lot of dust at the bottom of the bag.

Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X8
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X8
Price: $79.99
20 used & new from $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for home use, though not the best for speed and overall power of editing and productivity., April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used a lot of different video editing packages, and this one is fairly standard. I like it a bit better than Pinnacle Studio or Elements, but it's not as fast as something like Edius or Lightworks, particularly in terms of real-time previews and being able to actively edit video without having to constantly try to re-render the timeline.

The layout and controls are cleaner and a bit more intuitive than Pinnacle, though complete beginners won't find it as easy as something like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie. The out put and file formatting is also easier and pretty flexible with decent results. I did find it a bit odd in that using the arrow keys skipped clips rather than scrubbing the timeline, and cutting clips wasn't as straightforward. Add to that that menu items don't show the keyboard shortcuts, so you'll need to refer to the manual to get up to speed.

For home movies, exporting youtube videos and the like, it's fine. Transitions and menu items, DVD/BD formatting and all that make it an easy all-in-one package. Lightworks and Edius are much harder to learn, have less options, and are considerably more expensive if you want all the same features, however they offer better stability, performance and professional/semi-pro features.

Datacolor S5P100 Spyder5PRO
Datacolor S5P100 Spyder5PRO
Price: $189.00
8 used & new from $180.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure if this really did a whole lot for me., April 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was very easy to set up, though be sure to note the web address included in the package, because I couldn't find the download link directly from their site. Once the software was downloaded and registered, it installed easily. Running it, it tries to identify your specific monitor. It couldn't identify mine, as it's a fairly old Envision flat screen, so I just had to use the generic drivers.

The software shows you where to hang the puck, but first has you place it on your desk to take an ambient lighting measurement. Once it runs through the calibration, it had me try to increase the brightness of my monitor manually using my monitor's built in settings. I couldn't adjust it to the "optimal" brightness - my monitor wouldn't go that high. I'm not sure if it's just that my monitor has lost brightness over the years or if it wasn't reading correctly.

Overall, the colors didn't seem to get modified too much, but with the extra brightness shadow detail was increased. That said, my initial impression is that the brightness seems too high (and I did the calibration at night with no other room lights on). It didn't ask me to make any other adjustments. So, I'm trying to give my eyes a couple weeks to adjust, but I'm not seeing a huge difference other than just raising the brightness more than I like, but not near what it wanted me to do.

I'm also planning to perform a calibration on my son's laptop, which is newer to see how well it does there. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm able to calibrate my daughter's chrombook or any of our TVs or projector with this device. I know the model up from this one advertises compabibility with projectors, but not sure of TVs. Also, I don't believe the ambient light sensor stays attaches to provide real-time adjustment due to changing conditions. The re-calibration process is only supposed to take a few minutes, so from that aspect, if doing something demanding and in different lighting, it's not too hard to re-calibrate as needed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2015 11:37 PM PDT

All Clad Textiles Heavyweight 100-Percent Cotton Twill and Silicone Pot Holder, Pewter
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Too big and awkward to use., April 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While this is a quality item and stands up to heat really well, I don't like how big it is. A lot of times when pulling a pan out of the oven, I found it awkward to use this thing because it's so big. When using lengthwise it it too big to grip something at the edges of the holder and so it falls into whatever is on the pan. It not easy to use oriented the other way because the silicone grips don't bend as easily. I also found it too big to use on hot handles of things like a cast iron pan. I think I like it best as a hot pad to set a large pan on top of so that it doesn't sit directly on the counter.

Sentey® Gaming Headset 7.1 Virtual with Vibration Arches Headphones Intelligent Vibration System 4d Experience Bass Headband In-line Control Lightweight Adaptive Comfort Headband Pc Computer H.p Headphone Gaming Headset USB 2.0 Connector Digital Surround Sound with Braided 2 Meters Cable (Black) Gs-4730
Offered by Sentey
Price: $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected but not perfect., April 5, 2015
This is one of the most comfortable headsets I've owned. Also, it automatically adjusts to your size as you put it on - no click-click adjustment, just smooth sliding onto your head at whatever size is needed. The ear cups completely cover your ear and do a decent job of minimizing outside noise. They didn't have as much bass as I thought they would since they advertise a "built-in vibration unit". That said, there is a button on the in-line control to turn it off/on but no indicator light. I wasn't able to get the drivers to install off the mini-cd, so I'm not sure if that's only something that works with their drivers. Additionally, I couldn't really assess the 7.1 surround since I didn't have the drivers installed. Typically, I don't use these for surround sound, though. I am on Windows Vista and the CD only had XP, Win7, and Win8 drivers. I couldn't find any drivers at all on their website.

Otherwise, the sound is decent and the microphone is position-able and also rotates up and out of the way. The mic can be turned on/off through the in-line control and has a red inidicator light at the tip of the microphone. The volume control is really bigger than it needs to be and I'd prefer it to be a bit smaller.

The braided cord is very flexible and durable, but I also wish it has the regular style jacks instead of USB only. So while this might not be the ideal headset for me, and the packaging and brand might make it seem like a cheap product, it's actually pretty good for the money, in my opinion.

I received this product for free in order to review it.

Sentey Bluetooth Speaker B-trek S2 Plus Ls-4066 / Black 6 Hours Battery - Built-in Mic for Hands Free Speakerphone - 10 Meter - 33 Foot Range - Rechargeable & Removable Lithium Ion Battery - Wireless - Mini Size - AUX Line in & Microsd Card Slot Allows Audio Music Playback

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitting for the price and size., April 5, 2015
Decent sound for the size and price. It's also nice to be able to put a micro-SD card directly into it. I also like that it has a physical sliding power switch rather than a button. The only part I don't like is the buttons for the volume control and skipping tracks because you have to hold them down to adjust the volume. Also, I felt like they were reversed with the volume up button on the left and volume down on the right. You can get used to this, or just leave it at max and use your phone to adjust it. I don't plan to use it as a speakerphone, so I didn't test that. As for volume, it gets higher than your phone and sounds a bit better, but it's not going to fill a noisy environment or give you any sort of bass. But for the price and size, it's about what I'd expect.

I received this product for free in order to review it.

Boogie Board 8.5-Inch LCD Writing Tablet, Cyan (PT01085CYA0002)
Boogie Board 8.5-Inch LCD Writing Tablet, Cyan (PT01085CYA0002)
Price: $23.13
49 used & new from $12.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and useful, March 31, 2015
First off, I only paid $5 for this on a deal. When we first used it we dropped it and that corner of the screen had a light haze. Over time, it went away, so from a durability standpoint, it's excellent. Of course you can't save anything you write, but for quick notes it's great. I wish the adhesive magnets stuck better, but not too big a deal.

Toyota Sienna Replacement Hubcaps 16" New Set of 4
Toyota Sienna Replacement Hubcaps 16" New Set of 4
Offered by Custom Auto Crews
Price: $59.20
2 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighter duty and not an exact match, but inexpensive and they work, March 31, 2015
Much thinner than OEM. Plastic is much more flexible and they don't lock in nearly as tight, but I've not had one pop off. Plus, I got a set of 4 for the price of 1 OEM version. Color is a bit lighter than the original and it doesn't have the Toyota logo, so I just replaced all 4. I had one damaged in shipment but the seller sent me another for free.

Whirlpool 279834 Valve Coil for Dryer
Whirlpool 279834 Valve Coil for Dryer
Offered by HVACR Tools
Price: $9.06
26 used & new from $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars These worked but were slightly out of spec per the service manual., March 31, 2015
First off, these did fix my dryer. It wasn't heating properly and I'd just replaced the ignitor, rollers, belt, and pulley. I wasn't sure if it was a sensor, bad felt seals affecting airflow, or these coils. My first clue was that the ignitor would glow but gas wouldn't always come out. I found the service manual online, and it said to test the resistance across the tabs on each coil. It said terminals 1&2 should be 1365 Ohms +/- 25, terminals 1&3 at 560 +/- 25, and terminals 4&5 at 1220 +/- 25. The coil with two tabs has terminals 4 & 5. The coil with three tabs has 1, 2, & 3.

My existing coils tested at 1405, 578, and 1323. Therefore I knew they were out of tolerance. I tested these new coils before installing and they tested at 1389, 573, and 1295. Technically, Terminals 1 & 2 were *barely* in spec and terminals 4&5 were out of spec. Regardless, I installed them and they worked. The dryer is now consistently firing up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20