Profile for CLynn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

CLynn RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Prisoner Within
A Prisoner Within
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Hitting and Haunting, September 14, 2014
This review is from: A Prisoner Within (Kindle Edition)
This is a unique, extremely well-written story by author JM Northrup.

It is powerful and wincingly real. Basically, it is the recounting by a woman of a torturous relationship between her and her mother. There are incidents that are shattering. There is abuse at the hands of the mother and the stepfather that are really difficult to read sometimes, it is that real.

I happen to love prequels and I would love to read a tale of the mother; if that was possible; of what shaped her and made her the way she is.

I find I cannot stop thinking about the daughter, she is so real. Well-told in the first person, this tale is that much more real in my opinion as it benefits so well from first person intimacy.

Bear in mind, this is not merely a recounting of a hellish mother and a long-suffering daughter—it is a good, psychological tale as gripping as any I have read.

JM Northrup, you penned something that will haunt me forever.

VERIFIED PURCHASE, UK

Lest We Forget: An Anthology Of Remembrance
Lest We Forget: An Anthology Of Remembrance

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerhouse of a Tribute, September 11, 2014
VERIFIED PURCHASE UK

This work by multi-published Author, Brian L. Porter (Co-Producer and screenwriter with Thunder Ball Films) is a monumental work. It is a tribute to those who served in war. Many have not returned, giving their lives for us.

Mr. Porter interviewed veterans for this work, and based on their experiences, composed poems as tributes to them. The poetry is timeless because sadly wars are. Wars fought in the 20th century are covered here in this moving work.

The very first offering, 'Kiss of Death' hit me hard. Here is a line:
"Where blood flows like a tide of tears, where oblivion is bliss, Welcome to the carnival, come, feel the bullet's kiss!"

Those heartfelt words reflect what war is. It is the kiss of death for so many.

And what of the civilians? He's remembered them in such poems as 'Blitz.'
"But never once did London's people give a thought of defeat, We'd fight them any way we could, ` til old Hitler we'd unseat."

Some lines from the poem, 'Holocaust'.
"Condemned by doctrine fuelled by hate, how many passed through Auschwitz`gate? Treblinka, Belsen, Sachsenhausen, Trains brought victims by the thousand. Innocent of any crime, But this was Europe's' darkest time."

'A Nightmare Journey'
Tells of the Warsaw Ghetto and the incredible suffering there.
War affects all of humanity--Mr. Porter salutes all those who fought and those who didn't fight but fought to survive.

The power of these poems will move anyone who reads them. Thank you Mr. Porter for writing this moving powerhouse of a tribute.

After Armageddon
After Armageddon

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Collection, August 30, 2014
This review is from: After Armageddon (Kindle Edition)
After Armageddon is a collection of stories embracing sci fi, speculative fiction, suspense, mystery and thrillers. It has something for every discerning reader.

The author of these stories is Brian L. Porter, Producer with Thunderball Films and a multi-published author.

I found the title piece to be the most unforgettable. It is a haunting and frightening piece of fiction, of what can happen and is indeed happening to our world. If that isn't enough, the author takes it one step further with a twist that is the mother of all twists. I've never read anything like it. Read it and you'll see what I mean.

From time warps, to missing choir boys and madness to a serial killer stalking the streets of Paris, there are also stories depicting a nightmare world of toxic death and disfigurement and how animals might be affected.

This wasn't just scary sci-fi, it was believable and highly original. I loved all the stories by Mr. Porter and I will stop there, because one story I was invited to contribute. So I will not review that.

There are numerous short story collections about--this one, is to be cherished.

VERIFIED PURCHASE UK

Kiss Of Life
Kiss Of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Marvelous!, July 23, 2014
This review is from: Kiss Of Life (Kindle Edition)
The sequel to Dracula Doesn’t Live Here Anymore does not disappoint.

The story is fast-paced and intriguing. It’s a clever, well-researched spin on the vampire genre. The prolific, Brian L. Porter has come up with a unique tale. There is mystery and history, love and allure and danger too and a plot that will keep you turning pages.

Alan Dexter and Christina Radaluc are journalists. They met while investigating a series of vampire murders, after which she vanished.

VERIFIED PURCHASE - UK

The book begins with Alan’s recurring dream of the Carpathian Mountains and Christina. She is there in each haunting dream, this beautiful alluring woman; this fascinating female, apparently casting a spell on him, drawing him to her. Of course he decides to find her. He is powerless not to.

I was enthralled and shocked—shocked because of the ending. Read it and see what I mean.

This is yet again another highly entertaining tale spun by the prolific Brian L. Porter. Any vampire fiction aficionados will be delighted. It’s bloody marvelous!

Purple Death
Purple Death
Price: $4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars In The Tradition of Ruth Rendell, July 5, 2014
This review is from: Purple Death (Kindle Edition)
Purple Death is a chilling suspense thriller written by veteran author, Brian L. Porter. It's gripping and well crafted. People are dying agonizing deaths by poison. It isn't long before the police realize they have a serial killer on the loose.

Detective Sean Connor and his assistant, Sergeant Lucy Clay are soon on the case. As the poisonings are occurring with frightening regularity, Connor and Clay soon find themselves on the trail of 'The Chocolate Woman.' They are relentless, yet as relentless as they are and as competent, there are surprises they could not have envisioned.

This novel is in the tradition of Ruth Rendell. The characters reminded me of hers and the jaw dropping twist as well. This is a good, engrossing crime novel, not to be missed.
5 out of 5 easily for this gem.

verified purchase Amazon UK

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense, Atmosphere and a Damned Good Story, May 27, 2014
VERIFIED PURCHASE, UK

This is a well-written suspenseful thriller that captures the mood of London during the time of the Ripper killings. The atmosphere and attention to detail was all there. I'm a stickler for research and this was researched very well. I love when an author creates another world as good as Mr. Porter has done.

The story engages the reader from the opening. This was a real person I was reading about. The dog had to go out. I loved that. This would turn out to be Detective Inspector Albert Norris who had a wife and a home and one or two problems. He would, along with Detective Sergeant Hillman, be called into investigate a series of savage murders on London's underground.

The Ripper was killing in Whitechapel and a murderer was on the loose killing young women in London's Underground could it get worse? Things are bad enough for the police with the Ripper killings, now with this there's even more pressure placed on them.

The story moves at a steady pace with twists and turns. By the way, I found the ending to be surprising!

I loved Detective Inspector Norris, I found him to be so real I felt I could sit down and speak with him. That's amazing writing.

The Cartographer
The Cartographer

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising Start to YA Adventure Series!, April 2, 2014
This review is from: The Cartographer (Kindle Edition)
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. Although, not a reader of YA fiction in any genre, I enjoyed The Cartographer. Written for the YA market, I have no doubt Craig Gaydas’ highly innovative novel will do well. The author demonstrates writing skill, originality and a great imagination. A very promising start to his series, cliffhangar and all.

Rising Storm (Fading Empires Book 1)
Rising Storm (Fading Empires Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Orwell's '1984' and Just As Interesting!, November 23, 2013
It is, too! For one thing, this is extremely timely and I loved it! Read it and you will see what I mean.

This is the future where climate change has wrecked havoc and a mega powerful corporate state calls the shots. Even the military is privatized and staffed with mercenaries. There is an oppressive police force too in place to keep order in this New Order.

I loved this: there are platforms built on top of old cities that are called Underzones. That's where the poor live. And that is also where the gangs are.

The Safezones (one thinks of gated communities) are for the rich!
What makes reading this so much fun is, I can see it happening!

This nightmare corporate police state is depicted on a grand scale and in the great sci-fi adventure mode. Yet, the style is Mr. Kane's own. This isn't just a run of the mill-futuristic action adventure yarn; there is a political statement here that is cleverly stated through the author's excellent writing.

It's fast paced, the characters are fully developed and believable. I am eagerly awaiting the rest in the series.
One more thing, in my opinion this would make one great film!

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review

The Matriarch
The Matriarch

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Original, Enticing Read!, November 9, 2013
This review is from: The Matriarch (Kindle Edition)
This review is from: The Matriarch (Kindle Edition)
verified purchase, Amazon UK

An unsolved murder...and a surprising revelation that solves the mystery, I liked that.

The heroine was strong, I cared about her. That is so important in a novel. I particularly cared as I witnessed her adjusting to her new existence. The villain was very well done, without being overdone. I found him deliciously savage! And I liked, too that everything was wrapped up nicely with no loose ends.

I really enjoyed the author's take on vampires. He's given them very interesting characteristics. The heroine for instance discovers that she will never dream again and I found this very poignant.

I like vampire fiction that depicts vampires as complex characters--where their living lives and their undead existence is developed nicely. It makes for an interesting story.

There are also ghosts and hauntings and surprises too. What more could you ask for?

Vampires Romance to Rippers an Anthology of Risque Stories
Vampires Romance to Rippers an Anthology of Risque Stories
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamy Vampire Stories, What More Could You Ask For?, November 8, 2013
There are wide-ranging bloody good vampire stories in this anthology to dazzle.
The line up is exceptional. Awakenings by S.I. Hayes and Will Van Stone Jr. is very enticing. I was so delighted, I bought the book it is an excerpt from!
The names read like a roll call of really good writers, writing in this genre.
This is a must-read.

i purchased my copy from Amazon UK and posted by review there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2013 8:35 AM PST