Profile for Dave Adams > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dave Adams RSS Feed (Provo, UT)

Tchaikovsky: La Dame de Pique
Tchaikovsky: La Dame de Pique
Offered by Izabella'sBooks
Price: $49.99
4 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise in Vienna!, February 1, 2000
My wife and I had the opportunity to see Placido Domingo in Pique Dame at the Statsoper in Vienna summer 99'. What a fabulous performance. I can't speak for this recording, but the opera itself was magnificient. It made me re-evaluate my view on the Russian composer. I always saw him as a popular composer for the masses. This score establishes him in my mind as a composer of more depth. A solid, complete opera for fans of opera. All neophytes, check out a three tenors performance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2012 1:23 PM PST

My Antonia
My Antonia
by Willa Cather
Price: $7.67
513 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read a finer book please tell me., February 1, 2000
This review is from: My Antonia (Paperback)
I read My Antonia in High School (NFHS 10 years ago) and I have been searching for a finer book ever since. To begin with, I love the pacing Cather uses; Antonia is epic in scope. Additionaly, I have never found a better narrator in literature. Jim combines the superficial characteristics of a man, with the sensitivity of a feminine soul. This provides the balance necessary for the theme of unrequited love between Jim and Antonia. To clarify, the romantic theme is not the typical Romeo and Juliet romance. Indeed, the relationship between them is much more powerful and more satisfying. The tone of this novel draws the reader in immediately, expressed in the beautiful prose that Cather is so capable of. I have read good novels by great writers (Dillard, Maclean)that never manage to match the sense of place and time in My Antonia. It should be noted that these authors (including Cather herself) often imitated the style of My Antonia with some success. Bottom line: if you are a John Grisham devotee, you might consider something else. If you are in the mood to search the deep things of the soul with literature of classic stature, give My Antonia a chance.

Lunapark
Lunapark
37 used & new from $0.17

5.0 out of 5 stars "The best rock band no one has ever heard of.", April 7, 1999
This review is from: Lunapark (Audio CD)
That's what Rolling Stone calls Luna. I call it art-pop genius. This band is the best thing since the Pixies although it has much less of an edge. I saw Dean Wareham and "Galaxy" (his earlier incarnation) open for Cocteau Twins in 1991 and while the band didn't make an immediated impression, I remembered the performance. With Luna, Wareham has perfected his act. From the driving Slash Your Tires, to the hard pop Time to Quit, this album will stick to your ribs but still leave you hungry for more. Happy Listening!