ARRAY(0xa57cd780)

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Carter "One Eyed Pyrate" RSS Feed

32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
Price: $79.88
27 used & new from $65.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says it is., January 6, 2013
This is a 32 GB memory card for the PlayStation Vita. It actually has just over 29 GB of free space after formatting and all the system information. Still, best deal for the insane amount of money Sony charges for their proprietary memory. If you can get it on sale, like I did, it's worth it for a more reasonable price, but Sony really shouldn't be charging more than $60 for this 32 GB card. I can get a 500 GB hard drive for my PS3 for almost half of the retail value of this card. So, it works fine, it's great having the storage, and if Sony would drop the price to a more reasonable price range, it would be a five star review.

Pokemon SoulSilver Version
Pokemon SoulSilver Version
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $104.99
72 used & new from $42.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years ago..., March 14, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, so I've been playing Pokemon games since the original Red and Blue here in the US. The Gold/Silver/Crystal trio were, and still are, my favorite of the series (Crystal obviously being the best, since it was for the Game Boy Color and it had a load more stuff in it). These remakes are very much a welcome thing, as they've used the engine from Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and the experience has been brought up to date. All sorts of new things to do, having any Pokemon of your choice follow you around is pretty neat, though not a selling point, loads of extras (you can catch most Pokemon in the series in these two remakes, as a way to try to phase out the GBA games/slot on the DS Lite and move on to the DSi and DSi XL), and the fact that this game has much more length than the average Pokemon game (you go to the Johto region for the 8 badges there, then you head to Kanto for the 8 badges there, 16 total), this is a very nice package deal. The Pokewalker, while, again, not a selling point, is a really neat addition as well. Catching Pokemon on the run, walking and gaining EXP for the Pokemon of your choice is a really cool addition. I go on almost daily walks with my dog, so the Pokewalker is a really cool addition for me personally, cause now I can take my Pokemon with me and level up while I walk. All of the additions (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, three sets of starter pokemon obtainable in one game, Pokeathalon, Global Trade, etc.) make for a lengthy quest, and the ammount of time you can spend playing these games if you truly know the ins and outs of leveling, EV training, natures and whatnot, you can truly have a game that you can and will play for years. If you're not a fan of Pokemon, or have never picked up one of the games, this is a perfect game to get you going. Lots of fun, amazing ammount of time to spend doing all the things there are to do. And, if you have what it takes to get all of the 493 (staggering, isn't it? I remember how stoked I was when I finally got all 151 on the original Red) Pokemon, you truly... have more patience than me. None the less, it's a lot of fun, being able to trade and battle just add more, and the new Pokewalker all add up to a very great deal for your money. It's been ten years since Gold and Silver hit the shelves, and this is an amazing reawakening for those games.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 2:38 PM PDT

Dissidia Final Fantasy - Sony PSP
Dissidia Final Fantasy - Sony PSP
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $18.85
99 used & new from $3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked, can't stop playing., August 27, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, so this game is indeed one of the finer games on the PSP, and with the slew of unlockables, story, different arcade modes, and multi-player, it's a game that one could happily spend hours upon hours playing.

The battle system is a little odd, as it's not a typical fighter. More of a action game, with fighting and RPG elements tied all together very nicely. It takes a few minutes to understand how everything works together in battle, but once you get the hang of it, you just keep getting better and better, and the battles become more and more enjoyable.

The story mode, admittedly, is actually kind of weak, for a Final Fantasy title (at least, every Final Fantasy before IX had a good story). I enjoy the story, personally, but it's not full of surprises, or played out in the greatest fashion. It's decent, but it could have been so much better. That, and the voice acting for some characters is a bit sad. It's almost embarrassing to listen to sometimes. But there are quite a few characters whose American voice overs were done perfectly (Sephiroth and Kefka come to mind).

The customization of your characters is un-effing-believable. None of the equipment you use will change your character's appearance, but the amount of weapons, accessories, equipment, summons and abilities you can learn, gain, create and buy are very nearly endless. Especially with the multi-player items you get just from battling. In that same field, there's a calendar system in the game that will give you rewards based on what day you play. By unlocking more bonuses through the catalog in the game, you can make these days occur more often, and yield much greater rewards.

The multi-player is 50/50, in my opinion. Yes, it's very, very nice, it works really well, and the rewards can be unique, but it's only Ad-hoc. There's no online multi-player, which is really disappointing. While my cousin and I played, we experienced a bit of lag, but it was hardly noticeable at all. Very slight, and it didn't ruin the battle, or the experience. It's quite a bit of fun, so if you have or get this game, find someone else who does too. The ability to handicap the level so it's an even match makes it much nicer as well, so that you can fight someone brand new to the game, without them having to spend hours leveling up first.

Arcade mode was a unique addition to the American version, and while it's a lot of fun, it's straight forward, with pre-set characters. No customization here. So, it gets old pretty quickly. However, since you initially only have access to the heroes (you have to unlock the villains via the catalog), this is a good place to go to get some practice with all the characters, as all 20 of the main characters are available to play right off the bat in Arcade mode.

Unlockables in this game seem endless. When you unlock new characters or items, more appear to unlock. As you progress through the game, you get random items and rewards, and more items appear for you to unlock through the catalog. The museum allows you to see all sorts of Final Fantasy info on characters, and, once you unlock it, the replay editor is here, allowing you to go back over battles you've fought and saved the replay for, and allows you to edit them, save them to AVI, and import them to your computer.

Over all, this game is an amazing package, and the only things that really hold it back from perfection are a few poor choices, and poor voice acting. Now, I admit that I'm a Final Fantasy fan, and this game is definitely a present for all the die-hard fans of the series, but the way the game plays, anyone who's a fan of action, fighting or RPG genre of gaming can enjoy this game for months to come. I cannot recommend this game enough. It's worth every penny.

Overall: 9.5 out of 10

Positivies:
+Amazing cast of fan favorites
+Unbelievable customization
+Almost unending unlockables
+Fantastic battle system that just gets better as you play
+Really great Ad-hoc battles
+Easily able to sink 100+ hours into this game
+Accessable to almost any gamer

Negatives:
-No online multi-player
-Story is a bit weak, but playable
-Voice overs are, more often than not, disappointing
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 9:23 AM PST

Wii
Wii
385 used & new from $47.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's get back to fun, the way games should be., January 25, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii (Video Game)
Okay, first I'd like to address an issue that's been driving me insane for a long time: Why should a video game system be an entire media center? If I want to listen to music or watch movies, I'll watch them on a DVD player or listen to them on my stereo. I buy gaming systems to play video games. That being said, let's move on.

This system is put together beautifully. The graphics may not be up to par with Xbox 360 and PS3, but who cares? I've played all three systems, and the only one that caught me because of enjoyability was the Wii. I got mine on day one, have had no problems, and I can't stop playing.

The games themselves are simple enough that even my grandmother could play, but they're fun. They get you moving, they get you excited, and you have a great time playing. Wii Sports, although graphically simplistic and easy to play, is hours of fun. My best friend and his wife play bowling with my girlfriend and me all the time.

The ability to create Miis (custom avatars you can use in specific games) just makes the game that much more amusing. It's fun to see an on-screen look alike of yourself throwing a base ball at your friend's on-screen bat. Plus, you can get creative. I have a Mii of my dog on there, and it doesn't look too bad, if I do say so myself.

Game Cube compatability is fantastic. I love that they added this feature, because I had no second thoughts about getting rid of mine. That took fifty bucks off the price of the system right there. The only downfall, I wish that Nintendo had made the Game Cube games compatable with the Wii's classic controller. I like that controller's set up much more than the Game Cube's.

The Virtual console is just genious. My personal favorite system of all time is the Super Nintendo, and being able to play NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafix-16 games all on this system are fantastic. There are only two downfalls to this, one being they only release a few games every week, and I mean a very few (last week it was four games, none really worth while, and this week it was only one, but it was Zelda: A Link to the Past, so I was fine with that), and the second is that you do have to pay for them. If you're like me, and you still have your older systems, you really don't feel like paying five to ten dollars for games that you already have. Still, the prices for these games aren't through the roof, and some of them are definetly worth it.

This system has free internet service. Yes, it's free. It's all wireless, too. If you're not like me, and you don't already have a wireless network in your home, you can easily buy the computer "piggy-back" device for the DS. The Wii is compatable with that, and it works the same, for a fraction of the cost of a wireless router. It has a downloadable internet browser, auto update info for free services such as the Weather Channel, News Channel (yet to be updated or available), it keeps track of your game play time for each day you play, easy to use, easy to navigate, and since it's Nintendo, you know the system will be quality and will keep on working.

Sony may have amazing graphics, but they have horrible customer service, and they have a history of unethical business practice and an overall crappy attitude, not to mention they use faulty hardware on a regular basis, so it will save them money. Xbox 360, yeah, it's a really pretty system, and I wouldn't mind owning one in the future, once I won't have to take out a loan to get one. That, and I don't think I trust either Microsoft or Sony until they've had at least a few years to work out the bugs on their hardware so I won't have to be running to them with a broken system every other month. Nintendo, however, has always had amazing customer service, incredible hardware that works until time's end (I still have my original NES from 20 years ago and it still works like the day I got it), and above all, it's got games that are made how they're supposed to be. Fun! If you want enjoyability, this system is the right one for you.