Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Michael Shimer > Reviews

Browse

Michael Shimer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Shimer RSS Feed (Pacific Northwest)

Celestron 21024 FirstScope Telescope
Celestron 21024 FirstScope Telescope
Price: $49.95
29 used & new from $31.20

3.0 out of 5 stars First Look, April 10, 2009
I ordered the 'scope March 30 and received it April 7. Not bad for a product which was supposed to ship at the end of April. Some damage to the outer carton thanks to FedEx, but both 'scopes (I ordered two) were undamaaged. No assembly required - just slip in one of the eye pieces and it's ready to go. The manual (one paragraph) was not needed, but a person new to astronomical telescopes will certainly want to get some better documentation. The 'scope is better than I expected for $50. It appears to be well made - the eyepieces are not really good, but what can you expect for this price. The alt/az movements are good. The alt has adjustable tension. Az is probably adjustable via the main axis nut, but I didn't mess with it - the movement is fine as-is.

Unfortunately, we have had no clear nights in the Pacific Northwest since the 'scopes arrived (what else is new). A quick test on trees about 200 meters distant resulted in good views. Note the secondary mirror does cause a dark spot if your eye is not aligned correctly.

I'm looking forward to clear skies, but the long range forecast is not good.

Mike

April 21 - OK, last night was the first clear night since I got the 'scope. I viewed Saturn, and although the 'scope short focal length means lower magnification, with the included 4mm lens (approx. 70X), the rings were visible. The 'scope handled well, and handled a large, heavy lens I have with no problems. I had my 10" dob out also, and of course the dob gave a better view, but I enjoyed using the little 'scope for scanning the sky. No moon up when I was out, so could not see how it looks. The 21024 mount is stable, and moved smoothly. I tried the included lenses, and then some better lenses from Meade and Orion. These performed better, but the included lenses are not bad for a first scope.

Mike