Profile for barry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 898

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

barry RSS Feed (Boston, MA United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
It Was Me All Along: A Memoir
It Was Me All Along: A Memoir
by Andie Mitchell
Price: $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching memoir with minimal helpful insight, October 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
More memoirs like this need to be written. Having issues with food, eating to escape, dealing with being overweight are issues known by far too many including me. There is no clear cut easy solution. The problem is of course more psychological and for most, again including me, the problems stem from way back in childhood. I jumped at the chance to read this book by a writer sharing her similar journey. And Andie Mitchell does so with wit, humor and gains inner strength within due to her journey.

Sadly I think much is left out that would help the core audience of this book, mainly those on the same journey she's traveled. She speaks of the abuse from her father and mother but tends to leave out the full emotional impact. Being a fat kid in school and adult in life is a cruelty in itself and she didn't address that. She also tossed out many things like eat less, move more as if they were the real solutions. Her book is moreso about the positive things of her journey and the revelations she achieved. Sadly the journey is long and tenuous and one that needs to definitely not be judged as to how one travels it. I am at the point in my life now where with much therapy, inner work and growth I can deal more with understanding why I eat and what I eat and also am on a more positive than negative journey as she is. But at times we all fall back into the comfort we know. That is ok and again needs to not be judged.

I sadly think as well that when she wrote of the huge amounts of food she ate she glorified in it. It made readers who weren't exactly like her able to feel different. Binge eating, eating a lot throughout the whole day - whatever your pattern - issues with food are just that. I think she had even more of an impactful story to tell and chose to share the pieces that would help her narrative come across as witty and full of character rather than full disclosure of what this journey and issue is really like. I think for those who haven't suffered the same fate this book might be more endearing but for those of us fellow sufferers it will leave most wanting more.

Flash Furniture High Back Black Leather Executive Office Chair with Triple Paddle Control
Price: $161.86
24 used & new from $148.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Budget chair not meant for the plus size, October 21, 2014
I had high hopes for this chair. I loved all its features and it was easy to put together. But sadly upon my first time sitting on it I knew it was a poorly constructed chair. The weight limit for this chair is 250 pounds and I weigh 247. It should have been fine or if anything shown wear by my weight over time. The padding is very thin and the faux leather not soft at all. First problem, with the back of the chair set at the lowest level which put the lumbar where it needed to be the chair didn't even reach my shoulders and I am only 6 feet. It's easy to raise the back. There is a knob you turn and you lift the back up. It is held in place by an extension piece of metal that fits into the base. I raised it to its highest level, tightened it securely and when I leaned back it strained and creaked terribly and that was without major pressure. And at that position the lumbar was useless as well. When I used the level to adjust the tilt of the top of the chair it would also creak as if about to break.

I liked all the features it had but none of them made me comfortable. Being able to adjust the tilt of the chair seat is good but the cushion is so hard that any comfort is difficult. I kept the chair for a week - why I do not know. I was waiting for some miracle to make it miraculously comfortable and also didn't want the burden of taking it apart to return it. This chair is indeed a budget chair and that is fine. For all the features you get it is to be expected. But when it is advertised as holding weight of 250 pounds it should be able to work flawlessly under that weight and I can honestly say had I kept it it would have only been a matter of time till the back snapped off and the whole thing fell apart. Also, sadly, the only comfortable position I found was a hard spot on the back that at least kept my spine from hurting. Very sad.

I am sharing all this for there are a lot of questions about the weight it handles and how it functions. Hopefully this review and my experience will help people. For those shorter than me and not as heavy just acknowledge the chair is a budget chair and it may work out fine for you. For me, I am forever grateful for Amazon's return policy.

OXO Good Grips Plastic Measuring Cups, 6-Piece, White
OXO Good Grips Plastic Measuring Cups, 6-Piece, White
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great measuring cups, October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are really great measuring cups at a great price. OXO takes a simple products - measuring cups - and makes them as user friendly as possible. They are made of very durable plastic and the handles are also strong. The biggest plus is how they click together for easy storage. Just snap off the one(s) you need to use and then easily snap them back when done. The slip grips on the handle of each cup make usage simple and easy and due to the quality the handle will not bend at all whether measuring out liquids or solids.

Each cup also has its size - 1 cup down to 1/4 cup - clearly printed on the cup side and highlighted in a bright color thus ensuring it is very easy to differentiate each cup. The scraper attached on top is a great addition for leveling off solids such as sugar, flour, etc. to make sure the very correct amount is being added to any recipe. These measuring cups are modern, take up little space due to the snap feature and are really a product that will bring some definite ease to any cook. Highly recommend.

The One & Only - Expanded Edition
The One & Only - Expanded Edition
Price: $15.20
9 used & new from $14.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Another quality Gladys Knight & The Pips release beautifully remastered, September 21, 2014
Released in 1978 this was the last album by Gladys Knight & The Pips on the Buddah label. While not up there with IMAGINATION and I FEEL A SONG as being the groups best it is still a superior album with some great tracks. Gladys does some takes on SORRY DOESN'T ALWAYS MAKE IT RIGHT and ALL THE TIME, both songs associated with other artists and makes them her own with her range and unique vocal styling. Both are great ballads and blend in perfectly with the uptempo IT'S A BETTER THAN GOOD TIME, COME BACK AND FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED and SAVED BY THE GRACE OF YOUR LOVE. BUTTERFLY, THE ONE AND ONLY and WHAT IF I SHOULD EVER NEED YOU are all solid ballads that showcase the true emotional impact the group had with their material.

Funky Town Grooves puts the album on cd beautifully remastered, with extensive liner notes and also with 7 bonus tracks. Often with bonus tracks some are just filler but here all really add to the musical magic on this cd. Highlights in the bonus tracks are the ballad I'M STILL CAUGHT UP WITH YOU and the awesome extended versions of the uptempo IT'S A BETTER THAN GOOD TIME which runs 12 minutes and SAVED BY THE GRACE OF YOUR LOVE which runs 9. This cd showcases the group at all their potential and illustrates that even with songs that were not their greatest hits their music soared with, passion, intensity and pure artistry. This cd is a must have for fans of the group as well as soul/r&b purists. Highly recommend.

I Feel a Song - Expanded Edition
I Feel a Song - Expanded Edition
5 used & new from $75.60

5.0 out of 5 stars My very favorite Gladys Knight & The Pips album beautifully remastered, September 21, 2014
In the early 70s Gladys Knight & The Pips moved to the Buddah label and this was their third release on that label. Many thought the first Buddah release IMAGINATION was the best for it had solid tracks and the infamous MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA. For me the album I FEEL A SONG is just a little better and is almost perfection with its mix of varying styles of music and superb performances by both Gladys and those Pips. The title track is a soaring uplifting song that is one of their all time best. LOVE FINDS ITS OWN WAY, THE NEED TO BE and TENDERNESS IS HIS WAY are high quality heartfelt ballads with SECONDS being a true slow sensual urban r&b track that really showed off Gladys' vocals. THE GOING UPS AND THE COMING DOWNS and BETTER YOU GO YOUR WAY are both solid funk jams with the whole group in their majestic prime. These tracks alone would make this a stellar album but then we have Gladys Knights majestic version of THE WAY WE WERE with a very emotional intro TRY TO REMEMBER. A legendary track.

Funky Town Grooves has done an amazing job here with gorgeous remastering and extensive liner notes. And there are 8 bonus tracks including many songs from the soundtrack to CLAUDINE. Among them are the gorgeous THE MAKING OF YOU and the jamming HOLD ON. The standout in the bonus tracks is the classic track MAKE YOURS A HAPPY HOME. This cd shows Gladys Knight & The Pips at their very best and all tracks are sublime. This is a must have for fans of the group as well as r&b/soul purists. Highly recommend this cd.

Sony MDREX58V/BLK EX Series Earbud Headphones
Sony MDREX58V/BLK EX Series Earbud Headphones
Offered by Direct Distributor
Price: $17.00
49 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great volume control headphones, September 20, 2014
I was in search high and low for a pair of earbud headphones with volume control. My mp3 player at its highest volume doesn't get loud enough so added volume control was what I needed. I tried Skull Candy and another brand that was rather expensive before giving these Sony EX series headphones a try. And finally I found all I was looking for and more. I was not expecting much due to the price but these headphones are of superb quality and made for long durability while providing much better sound than more expensive ones I had tried. The set comes with three sizes of earbuds and when you find the ones best for you they will work great. I find them to be very effective with outside noise isolation leaving only the music coming into my ears. The sound quality really is incredible with the EX Series headphones with great bass. What I like the most is that the directions clearly explain how to put the earbuds correctly on the headphones. If not on correctly sound quality will definitely be affected as the directions clearly state. I love the slight angular position of the earbuds and find that it helps them stay more firmly in the ear canal. And the very important volume control works great and when set correctly with your music source provides a strong variance in volume.

I could go on and on but bottom line these are excellent volume control eabud headphones that provide superb sound quality, are very well made for longevity and awesome listening pleasure. Don't let the low price fool you. And the reviews that say they didn't work well or broke make no sense to me. The directions clearly explain everything. They are solidly built and if used correctly there will be no problems at all. Highly recommended.

Charmin Basic Toilet Paper 36 Huge Rolls
Charmin Basic Toilet Paper 36 Huge Rolls

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 1 ply tissue even when compared with Scott, September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was curious to try this product. I prefer 1 ply toilet paper and my brand of choice is Scott tissue. I know this Charmin Basic gives all its guarantees and bonuses when being compared to leading bargain brands. Scott is the #1 name brand for this type of product - the 1 ply tissue - and has 1000 sheets per roll. This Charmin Basic has 385 1 ply sheets per roll. Well, even with the less sheets, I say this product is not just better than generic brands but is a great rival to Scott tissue as well. Though only 1 ply this Charmin tissue is very durable while still being soft. It must be the duraflex texture it states it has. I need less sheets in comparison to Scott which is nice. This product is soft without being too cushiony which I don't like. This Scott tissue believer may just be switching brands! Charmin Basic is an excellent 1 ply tissue.

Five Star 7-Pocket Customizable Expanding File, 13.75 x 10.75 Inches, Red (72705)
Price: $18.23
3 used & new from $12.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful durable product, September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 7 pocket expanding file is a great product - extremely durable made of plastic and very strong nylon built to last. I love that the brand is Five Star for that is the rating this product truly deserves. It is definitely multifunctional and can be used by kids, students and adults alike. I myself, an adult, use it to store the documents that are in my 7 most important files in my filing cabinet. Now they are quickly at hand and in a case that can be zipped up and efficiently taken wherever I need the info .

It is important to note that everything about how this is made is the highest grade. The 7 file pockets go deep , each file is separated by strong plastic and the whole file kit expands very wide. You can keep it slim with minimal items or fill it to the brim where even at its fullest capacity the zipper still firmly holds everything in place The pull up reminder tabs or labels are great and can be set at whatever level you like them. The front is clear plastic and you can choose whatever you want in there to be the front of your file folder.

I could go on and on which is something I wouldn't usually do over an office or school product but it is rare and indeed great to see a product live up to what it says it does and to be made of the finest quality products for long lasting durability. Final note - this folder is also waterproof so there is never a need to worry about damaging it. Highly recommend.

Case Star ® Black Color Rectangle Shaped Hard Earphone Headset EVA Case for MP3/MP4 Bluetooth Earphone Earbuds with Mesh Pocket, Zipper Enclosure, and Durable Exterior+ Case Star Velvet Bag (Rectangle Earphone Case - Green)
Offered by RainBow Atech
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful earphone case, September 14, 2014
What a deal this case was. I have an mp3 player and use earbud headphones with a volume control. I got tired of always having to untangle the cord between uses so I began wrapping it around the mp3 player. Eventually I wore out the wires - my own fault. This case is a life saver. Got a new set of the same earphones and this great case for protection. This rectangle one is of perfect size to fit the player as well as the headphones. The case is sturdy and solid and inside one side is a mesh pouch. That is where I store the mp3 player and then I gently wrap the earbud wires together and place them in. Then it easily zips up. No more tangles, never a worry it might get damaged or wet when not in use. And I love the green color I got. I love it when I find helpful things like this that solve minor problems that turn into a headache. Highly recommend this earphone headset case. A simple purchase of high quality that will make storage of your mp3 player simple and worry free.

Please Like Me Season 1 [HD]
Please Like Me Season 1 [HD]
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show, September 14, 2014
Josh Thomas is a genius! I found out about this show from a rave review in Entertainment Weekly and saw that the second season was soon starting on the Pivot network. I was able to see one episode from season 1 and was so enchanted that I quickly purchased the HD version from Amazon. Only praise can be given to this show. Heartwarming, hilarious, inventive, real, topical are just a few to begin. Josh Thomas is an Australian comic and he brings his unique comic style to series form playing a variation of himself. The show is based on his actual life, he is the writer and I find his comedic stlye hilarious and one of a kind. I cannot recommend this series enough. A believable show about real people that touches on real issues with wit and humanity. One of the best shows currently on tv!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20