Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Cyclist01222 > Reviews

Browse

Cyclist01222's Profile

Customer Reviews: 142

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cyclist01222 "Paul" RSS Feed (Williamsburg,VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Puma IP Catamount Tracker Olive Wood Handle Knife
Puma IP Catamount Tracker Olive Wood Handle Knife
Offered by TheJungleStore
Price: $137.96
3 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Puma and Spain !, May 18, 2016
Very nice piece. Mine came from a different seller and fit and finish was excellent. The blade has a slight hollow yet strong grind that carries good thickness to the tip for strength. Love the clip point. This is my 3rd Puma with 440c and they all seem to be heat treated very well. This came sharp but shy of crazy hair popping sharp. The edge is nicely cut and symmetrical so it only needed a little stropping. The olive wood is beautiful, hard and comfortable to grip, even reverse grip. Good choice for all types of carving. The spine has a nice edge to scrape a firesteel. The leather sheath smells like new shoes... love it! Holds the knife perfectly. Recommended for hunting, bushcraft, woodcraft, camping. EDC and hiking.

Boker Arbolito 02BA351H Hunter Stag Fixed Blade Knife with 4-3/4 in. N695 Steel Blade
Price: $104.97
3 used & new from $103.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous but requires sharpening, April 18, 2016
This knife is absolutely gorgeous! No disappointment there. The stag scales are beautiful and distinctive... mine are nice and thick which I like. Knife and sheath make a stunning package... smells like new leather shoes, love it. Seems to be good quality all around. Good strong tip, nice satin finish. really a looker, well built... 5 stars for all this. But... okay, Boker is a knife company and knives are made to cut. In order to cut, a knife needs to have a cutting edge. Mine is basically, well... square. Now, this isn't such a problem for me because I happen to know how to sharpen a knife but it's just kinda sad that Boker would let a knife like this leave the factory. It's sort of like selling someone a car tire with a hole in it. Just beware if you are expecting your item to cut something after removing from the box. I almost gave an overall 2 star but the beauty has me in a trance so it's getting a 3.

Update after sharpening: 4/22/16... sing it to yourself
At first, I was afraid... I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never sharpen without oil by my side. But then I spent so many hours thinking keep the angle straight... and it grew sharp. And it cut through paper strong, and then I honed... back and forth. I just rubbed polish in the metal with that leather not the cloth. I should have used an emery pad... I should have rubbed a little hard, If I had known for just one second I would have used a grinding wheel... go on now cut, that paper clean...

Okay, seriously it was a bear to sharpen... very hard steel. I did use ceramic stones, then hand held ceramic stone, then the strop with green compound. Scary, scary sharp now with a wonderful convexed edge. Still needs more stropping and polishing to finish it off. I will leave my rating at a 3 because this work should have been done before sent to market.

Panasonic MC-UG471 Bag Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Panasonic MC-UG471 Bag Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Price: $104.27
136 used & new from $95.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Well Built High Value, April 1, 2016
So I read all the negative comments about tipping and sucking up the rug but mine does not do this at all. It glides over my carpet and with some common sense will not tip when using the hose attachments. It isn't super quiet but doesn't have that high pitched whine like in a cheap dirt devil... much more comfy on the ears. Ah, the suction... don't put the hose end over your eyeball unless you want to pull it from your head lol. This thing could suck the socialism right out of the Obama administration which would be no easy task. If you like solid built good working equipment at a bargain price stop looking and get this thing.

Gerber MP600 Multi-Plier, Blunt Nose, Black [07520]
Gerber MP600 Multi-Plier, Blunt Nose, Black [07520]
Price: $46.48
109 used & new from $43.40

1.0 out of 5 stars carbide cutters break, November 24, 2015
Love the tool but the carbide cutters cracked in half on the first cut.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2015 1:43 AM PST

Gerber Carbide Cutter Insert Replacements [48252]
Gerber Carbide Cutter Insert Replacements [48252]
Price: $15.28
40 used & new from $11.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Carbide cutters cracked first use, November 24, 2015
I really loved my new MP600 with replaceable carbide cutters... until I used the cutters once. They cracked in half on the first try.

Real Avid Viscera FX Fixed Blade Knife
Real Avid Viscera FX Fixed Blade Knife
Price: $22.82
5 used & new from $22.82

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought four of them!, October 22, 2015
I picked up 4 of these because of a great deal Amazon offered. Let's say less than 6 bucks each. Definitely worth 15-20. The handle is shaped properly with no hot spots at all. It fills the hand nicely. The black material seems like a hard rubber and the orange accent is more like FRN... very grippy and comfy. It came razor sharp with a strong hollow grind. Excellent jimping that works in multiple grips. Steel is about 1/8" thick and has a nice forward finger rest for tip work and skinning. A small sharpening choil is a nice touch. It's 9 1/4" long. The sheath is not worth mentioning but it will hold the knife until it starts falling apart. Recommended.

Oral-B Pulsar Medium Bristle Toothbrush , 2 Count, (Colors May Vary)
Oral-B Pulsar Medium Bristle Toothbrush , 2 Count, (Colors May Vary)
Price: $9.47
2 used & new from $9.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Duracell Batteries, June 3, 2015
I have purchased 6 of these and two came with dead Duracell AAA batteries. I took the batts out and tested in other devices and did a voltage test... dead. Once you twist the end cap off the battery is right there but you have to destroy the connection to remove it... set up this way purposely. What a shame that they do this. Great vibrating action on the ones that work though.

Buck Knives 0863BRS Selkirk Survival Knife
Buck Knives 0863BRS Selkirk Survival Knife
Price: $43.36
59 used & new from $43.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife but tip is thin., May 30, 2015
Another winner from Buck! Very nice construction. The full flat grind makes this one a cutter... razor sharp! Nice sharpening choil. The micarta scales are very nicely shaped and comfy. Comes with a solid steel pommel you can actually, well... pummel things with it. Really handsome look and shape. The plastic sheath is versatile and holds the knife very secure. Fire steel works and the whistle really blows. To be honest the blade gets a bit slim at the tip. I would rather see a bit more beef here to back up the rough and tough survival knife advertising. I mean, with care it will be fine but this does not pass the survival knife test for me. The slight tip is more suited to camp and skinning tasks than survival but don't let this stop you... this knife can still do a lot and is well worth the money.

Update 7 July 2015: After some use in camp the 420HC holds well. Makes easy feather sticks and other light/medium duty camp tasks. So far so good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Skinning !!, May 13, 2015
This is more of a preview as I just received my Buck S30V Open Season Folder. I bought this knife because I wanted something that had a traditional look with some modern, useable features. You know, a real knife with some weight and style to pull out of its leathery sheath and ready my stogie or quickly perform a task for an unprepared friend or coworker. I really don't intend to use it for skinning game as I would prefer something lighter with a better grip. This one will serve more as belt candy than a hunting knife or even common utility tasks.

When I opened the package I scanned my prize quickly to see if it would serve my stated purpose and the grin quickly spread across my face... mission accomplished. It's lovely, has the right feel and all the proper clicks, snaps and thuds... pleasurable knife walk and talk so to speak! Are you starting to see the picture here? I know a knife is supposed to be a tool and I'm sure I have a few hundred of them to accomplish such tasks but this one will fill a different purpose. Don't get me wrong, it's a very capable knife so let's start here. It is rock solid and has a thick frame. Non plastic washers (not sure if bronze at this point), solid pivot, thick grips and sturdy clip. This is what I was going for... not a lightweight so called tactical deal.

The recurve blade has a strong hollow grind and strong tip. I am not worried about stressing the tip at all. There is forefinger and thumb jimping which aides grip without tearing up your fingers... it's fine. The thumb disk is very easy to access, works flawlessly and can be removed if you prefer flipper only. The flipper is nicely placed and formed. It operates smartly as both flipper and finger guard when opened. Retention is good but my blade lists a bit to the side opposite the lock. It doesn't touch but a tweak of the pivot screw may take care of this. The edge did come scary sharp and has a nice even grind right to the tip... typical Buck work! S30V is accepted as a quality, high end knife steel that that holds an edge, sharpens easily and resists corrosion. It's a great deal at this price. The solid feel frame is lightened with some cut outs on both sides. This is where the liner lock comes in. To me, it's more of a frame lock because it is the thickest piece on that side of the handle and the knife would still function if the Dymondwood scales were removed. Either way you look at it the lock is beefy and tight but still easy to operate with one hand. The scales are nicely shaped with a slight swell. The color is rich and pleasing. The notching is more aesthetic than functional... it's fine. When I viewed pics and video of the knife I wondered about the dark material that is screwed onto the Dymondwood. I thought it might be a grippy material but I was wrong. It's actually more of a blackwashed metal. Again, more for looks and provides a strong nesting spot for the screws... they secure the handle firmly to the frame. The pocket clip is tip up, right hand only... sorry lefties. Slides easily in and out of the pocket without the sheath. There is no lanyard hole but worry not. They did provide a spacer right at the rear upper pommel area to fill this role so problem solved. This spacer works with two more nicely shaped pillars that hold the frame steady.

The knife is comfortable enough in hand but not super soft and fuzzy... after all, it is metal and wood. The grip is okay, not great in my opinion. Your experience may differ. For me, the pommel is a bit on the wide side and the forefinger grip area leaves it a bit loose up front when using a hammer grip. This is not a worry as I can adjust as needed. Besides, trimming my stogies requires no gorilla grip. Much better hold when using a thrust grip with thumb on the spine... seems more natural this way. I'm sure it would skin just fine in any hand hold.. Reverse grip is good should you need to use it. The sheath is fine. The knife slides in best tip up, clip out. It can ride vertical or horizontal on your 1.5" belt and may take a larger one. The blade shape begs the use of a ceramic rod. Learn how to use one... it will rock your world!

Okay, that's about it. Time to get my jeans on, strap this beauty to my belt and find some onlookers to impress. I hope you enjoy yours should you choose one. I recommend!

Uncle Henry 183UH Elk Hunter Full Tang Skinner Fixed Blade
Uncle Henry 183UH Elk Hunter Full Tang Skinner Fixed Blade
Price: $26.73
45 used & new from $24.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Uncle Henry!, April 23, 2015
Nice selection for under 30 bucks. I got mine from another seller before it was available on Amazon. Really a nice looking all around knife for hunting, camping and utility tasks. The nostalgic Staglon is well fitted to the the full tang and the finger grooves are actually form fitting to most hands... not crazy small or large. It is very comfy. The blade has a high flat grind with a strong edge and tip... not too delicate so some rough use is okay. The tip and edge came razor sharp! Very nice satin blade finish. Yes, 7cr17 stainless is nothing special but I have several Schrades with this steel and it is a solid performer that responds well to simple field sharpening. The brass hilt and pins are well done and secure. The tang seems to be cut into a bit at the belly as it passes through the brass hilt but construction is still very solid. The chestnut colored leather sheath is nice and holds the knife secure. I shaved some cedar and made some feathers effortlessly. Recommended!

Update 15 May 2015: After some continued utility use I really like it. The edge keeps just fine and the grip is free of hotspots. I'm really enjoying the more traditional look and feel of this knife. It's a keeper!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15