Profile for Cyclist01222 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 134

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cyclist01222 "Paul" RSS Feed (Williamsburg,VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Skinning !!, May 13, 2015
This is more of a preview as I just received my Buck S30V Open Season Folder. I bought this knife because I wanted something that had a traditional look with some modern, useable features. You know, a real knife with some weight and style to pull out of its leathery sheath and ready my stogie or quickly perform a task for an unprepared friend or coworker. I really don't intend to use it for skinning game as I would prefer something lighter with a better grip. This one will serve more as belt candy than a hunting knife or even common utility tasks.

When I opened the package I scanned my prize quickly to see if it would serve my stated purpose and the grin quickly spread across my face... mission accomplished. It's lovely, has the right feel and all the proper clicks, snaps and thuds... pleasurable knife walk and talk so to speak! Are you starting to see the picture here? I know a knife is supposed to be a tool and I'm sure I have a few hundred of them to accomplish such tasks but this one will fill a different purpose. Don't get me wrong, it's a very capable knife so let's start here. It is rock solid and has a thick frame. Non plastic washers (not sure if bronze at this point), solid pivot, thick grips and sturdy clip. This is what I was going for... not a lightweight so called tactical deal.

The recurve blade has a strong hollow grind and strong tip. I am not worried about stressing the tip at all. There is forefinger and thumb jimping which aides grip without tearing up your fingers... it's fine. The thumb disk is very easy to access, works flawlessly and can be removed if you prefer flipper only. The flipper is nicely placed and formed. It operates smartly as both flipper and finger guard when opened. Retention is good but my blade lists a bit to the side opposite the lock. It doesn't touch but a tweak of the pivot screw may take care of this. The edge did come scary sharp and has a nice even grind right to the tip... typical Buck work! S30V is accepted as a quality, high end knife steel that that holds an edge, sharpens easily and resists corrosion. It's a great deal at this price. The solid feel frame is lightened with some cut outs on both sides. This is where the liner lock comes in. To me, it's more of a frame lock because it is the thickest piece on that side of the handle and the knife would still function if the Dymondwood scales were removed. Either way you look at it the lock is beefy and tight but still easy to operate with one hand. The scales are nicely shaped with a slight swell. The color is rich and pleasing. The notching is more aesthetic than functional... it's fine. When I viewed pics and video of the knife I wondered about the dark material that is screwed onto the Dymondwood. I thought it might be a grippy material but I was wrong. It's actually more of a blackwashed metal. Again, more for looks and provides a strong nesting spot for the screws... they secure the handle firmly to the frame. The pocket clip is tip up, right hand only... sorry lefties. Slides easily in and out of the pocket without the sheath. There is no lanyard hole but worry not. They did provide a spacer right at the rear upper pommel area to fill this role so problem solved. This spacer works with two more nicely shaped pillars that hold the frame steady.

The knife is comfortable enough in hand but not super soft and fuzzy... after all, it is metal and wood. The grip is okay, not great in my opinion. Your experience may differ. For me, the pommel is a bit on the wide side and the forefinger grip area leaves it a bit loose up front when using a hammer grip. This is not a worry as I can adjust as needed. Besides, trimming my stogies requires no gorilla grip. Much better hold when using a thrust grip with thumb on the spine... seems more natural this way. I'm sure it would skin just fine in any hand hold.. Reverse grip is good should you need to use it. The sheath is fine. The knife slides in best tip up, clip out. It can ride vertical or horizontal on your 1.5" belt and may take a larger one. The blade shape begs the use of a ceramic rod. Learn how to use one... it will rock your world!

Okay, that's about it. Time to get my jeans on, strap this beauty to my belt and find some onlookers to impress. I hope you enjoy yours should you choose one. I recommend!

Uncle Henry 183UH Elk Hunter Full Tang Skinner Fixed Blade
Uncle Henry 183UH Elk Hunter Full Tang Skinner Fixed Blade
Price: $29.76
10 used & new from $29.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Uncle Henry!, April 23, 2015
Nice selection for under 30 bucks. I got mine from another seller before it was available on Amazon. Really a nice looking all around knife for hunting, camping and utility tasks. The nostalgic Staglon is well fitted to the the full tang and the finger grooves are actually form fitting to most hands... not crazy small or large. It is very comfy. The blade has a high flat grind with a strong edge and tip... not too delicate so some rough use is okay. The tip and edge came razor sharp! Very nice satin blade finish. Yes, 7cr17 stainless is nothing special but I have several Schrades with this steel and it is a solid performer that responds well to simple field sharpening. The brass hilt and pins are well done and secure. The tang seems to be cut into a bit at the belly as it passes through the brass hilt but construction is still very solid. The chestnut colored leather sheath is nice and holds the knife secure. I shaved some cedar and made some feathers effortlessly. Recommended!

Update 15 May 2015: After some continued utility use I really like it. The edge keeps just fine and the grip is free of hotspots. I'm really enjoying the more traditional look and feel of this knife. It's a keeper!

Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Folder Knife, 3.5-Inch, Glo
Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Folder Knife, 3.5-Inch, Glo
Price: Click here to see our price
7 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Pleased after some use !, February 26, 2015
Pleasantly surprised with the 3.5 model. Blade 3 5/8", Overall 9 3/8", 8 3/8 minus carabiner. Is actually well made, sturdy and feels good in the hand. Rubber over mold is very grippy. The serrations are the jagged, pointy type and will snag on rope and strap a bit. They are sharp though and can be made smoother as I have done. The blade opens easily and locks tightly. It is a bit thin, full flat grind and fine tip. I have no concerns with normal folder work. Teflon washers. Thumb stud is set for right handed only... not sure if it will screw off, seems tight and I don't want to break it. Pivot pin is adjustable and strong with torx head. You can choke up with forefinger right before the serrations and thumb over the ramp which gives you better use of the fine edge if needed. Normal grip is very sure with useful thumb jimping on the ramp. Carabiner is strong and simple. Yes, it does glow for a few hours as advertised. Fine edge needed a touch up. Nice choice to have hanging on your pack, gear or belt for quick and easy access. I would buy again from Amazon. Less than 15 bucks is a bargain. I got it for 10 change.

Update 3/13/15: After a few hikes and some moderate use the liner lock travels past the blade tang and jams between tang and opposite liner. It seems like the blade stop pin is very soft metal and has indented which causes the over travel of the liner lock. This may not be the case with all these knives but this is what is happening with mine. Yes, the pivot screw is tight... it does not loosen at all. Too bad because I really liked the overall feel and design of the knife.

MTECH USA XTREME MX-8108 8-Inch Fixed Stone Black Blade Knife with Black G10 Handle
Price: $20.76
5 used & new from $15.80

5.0 out of 5 stars MTECH MX-8108, February 19, 2015
This is why I don't spend a lot on knives. There is not a lot to complain about this 20 dollar knife. It came fairly sharp, evenly ground and crafted. No strange misalignment or uneven edges... it looks good. The G10 handle is comfortable and shaped well. There are no hot spots for me. A sturdy hollow grind and tip can take a beating and it performs common outdoor tasks just fine. I chopped, batoned, stabbed and shaved quite a bit of different wood materials. I thought the sheath was just fine, easily modified to suit the user. Knife alone is a hair under 7oz and the ful tang does make it handle heavy but this is not a problem for me. Enjoy it!

Colt Linerlock 4.5in closed Folding Knife, 3.25in, D2 Tool Steel Blade, Black Smooth G10 CT591
Offered by KnifeCountryUSA
Price: $19.80
6 used & new from $17.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Get It !!, November 16, 2014
Um... Wow! This is an unexpected surprise for D2 steel. Sturdy hollow grind came scary sharp. Nice even edge, great lock up, blade centering and retention when closed. 3.2oz weight, 3.25" blade with 3" cutting edge. 7.75" overall length. Tip is sharp and comes to a good point. Smooth action with teflon washers. Smooth G10 scales offer good grip. Pocket clip is loop over deep carry style but the screw heads protrude a bit and may wear pocket edge in time. Also, the pocket clip must be removed to adjust pivot screw. The action is very smooth and simple to operate with one hand... convenient for EDC. I carved on a piece of oak for a couple hours... still razor sharp! The knife has a light feel but remains tight and sturdy after use. I can believe the D2 steel claim. Comes in a fancy box with magnetic closure and foam insert. Recommended!

Rough Rider Fixed Blade Knife BS013575-9.5""
Rough Rider Fixed Blade Knife BS013575-9.5""

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Design but Steel is too Hard, November 16, 2014
Got mine from seller on Ebay. I really like the design and the burlwood is beautiful. Very comfy and secure grip! There is a gap on the forward right side of the spacer like it separated... no big deal though as this is a minor cosmetic error. The worse news is the unevenly ground and blunt edge that seems to be over hardened... even my diamond sharpener has a hard time cutting anything. Hopefully I will be able to grind it down to softer steel. I have many other Rough Rider knives and their 440a stainless has always been excellent before this knife. Once I get an edge it should be good. The sheath needs a plastic liner... the knife will eventually cut through.

Update 2/26/15: I did find an edge after some work with a diamond then ceramic stone. Not bad.

Schrade SCH106 G10 Clip Folder Knife
Schrade SCH106 G10 Clip Folder Knife
Offered by KNIFE PORT
Price: $12.99
19 used & new from $10.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, October 3, 2014
Not bad EDC for 12 bucks but not one you will pull out to impress the boys. Nice feel G10 scales. May be a bit small for larger hands but I can get all 4 fingers on board. Sturdy tip, edge and slight hollow grind on this Chinese bead blast 440b equivalent. Smooth action and solid liner lock up. Deep carry pocket clip. Thumb and butt jimping with moderate grip. Paracord will not fit through tiny lanyard hole. Very light, low budget choice... recommended.

Elite Tactical US Marines M-1021GN Fixed Blade Knife, 12-Inch, Green
Elite Tactical US Marines M-1021GN Fixed Blade Knife, 12-Inch, Green
Price: $35.96
5 used & new from $34.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Value !!, August 17, 2014
Very nice RAT7/ESEE6 look alike in 440c stainless by Master Cutlery... the makers of M-Tech I believe. 440c is stamped on the blade I received. The 6 3/8" blade with 5 3/4" cutting edge came utility sharp. The full flat grind has a fairly hefty relief edge which makes this a good rough use tool. The edge grind came very symmetrical... nicely done. The blade is about 3/16" thick and tapers to a strong and even point. The PTFE coating is durable with some minor imperfections. After some short use it wears well. Thumb jimping is comfortable while adding some traction. The green G10 scales are nicely shaped with rounded edges and light/medium traction. The grip is comfortable but would be improved with a bit less belly. The sheath is very RAT like and can be modified to your liking... it's serviceable. I'm impressed with the high value here. Seems like the green and black handle models have a fine edge while the orange and micarta come with partial serrations only.

Lansky LKN111 Mikkel Willumsen Responder Quick Action Knife
Lansky LKN111 Mikkel Willumsen Responder Quick Action Knife
Price: $16.27
26 used & new from $12.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Custom Looks Discount Price !!, June 23, 2014
I think Willumsen and Lansky achieved what they set out to do... offer an affordable, custom look knife that will wear like a tank and turn a few heads. They succeeded! Neither of them are afraid of weight which is a refreshing change. This knife looks and feels aggressive. The thick and wide 440c blade finishes with a strong, stone washed hollow grind and wears a brushed satin flat... nice combo. Those are not thumb studs but blades stops. The knife is opened with the flipper or cool looking thumb hole. The black and green nylon scales are nicely fitted and provide decent grip. Thumb jimping is smooth and decorative but does increase grip also. Back spacer finishes with a glass breaker/lanyard hole and looks cool. Right hand carry deep pocket clip for tip up or down option. Rock solid liner lock and good closed retention. Blade centering is good even with nylon washers. Is it sharp?... umm, Lansky's name is on it!

The only gripe I have is the fit and comfort in hand with conventional grip... thumb wrapped around the handle. It's okay but not super comfy for me. My hand fights for more forward grip as my index finger struggles against the flipper/guard so I have to make adjustments. Large to XLarge hands may have more of a problem. It's much better with thumb on spine as this naturally moves your grip back. You can choke up on the forward side of the flipper if need be and reverse grip seems to be just fine. This knife is quite useable and I recommend it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2014 7:37 PM PST

Ontario 8904 Joe Pardue Utiliac Folding Knife (Black)
Ontario 8904 Joe Pardue Utiliac Folding Knife (Black)
Price: $21.50
24 used & new from $21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars SICK, WILD, CRAZY VALUE !!!, June 19, 2014
I have about 70 folders and this one sits at the top of the pile when it comes to crazy good value and super sick quality. I had to double take when I released it from it's cardboard rest and first thought that I must have received some sort of special top secret prototype that accidentally made it's way to my address. I'm convinced that Joe Pardue (whoever he is) reached his point of self actualization and has dedicated the rest of his life to releasing smiles of joy to all those who will come... the pied piper of knife addicts! But I digress...

This knife functions flawlessly and puts to shame many knives that are many times the price. Lock up is rock solid. Action is silky smooth. Steel is finely milled and honed. Grip is steadfast. Styling is pleasing to the eye... need I go further? Look, don't even hesitate on this one... no need to think about it. just stick it in your cart and hit the check out button. There is no way you will possibly regret it... I'm serious, go ahead... do it already! Recommended by a diseased knife sicko!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14