Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for Cyclist01222 > Reviews

Cyclist01222's Profile

Customer Reviews: 139

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cyclist01222 "Paul" RSS Feed (Williamsburg,VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Gerber MP600 Multi-Plier, Blunt Nose, Black [07520]
Gerber MP600 Multi-Plier, Blunt Nose, Black [07520]
Price: $44.99
111 used & new from $44.60

1.0 out of 5 stars carbide cutters break, November 24, 2015
Love the tool but the carbide cutters cracked in half on the first cut.

Gerber Carbide Cutter Insert Replacements [48252]
Gerber Carbide Cutter Insert Replacements [48252]
Price: $16.06
42 used & new from $13.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Carbide cutters cracked first use, November 24, 2015
I really loved my new MP600 with replaceable carbide cutters... until I used the cutters once. They cracked in half on the first try.

Real Avid Viscera FX Fixed Blade Knife
Real Avid Viscera FX Fixed Blade Knife
Price: $25.42
4 used & new from $25.42

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought four of them!, October 22, 2015
I picked up 4 of these because of a great deal Amazon offered. Let's say less than 6 bucks each. Definitely worth 15-20. The handle is shaped properly with no hot spots at all. It fills the hand nicely. The black material seems like a hard rubber and the orange accent is more like FRN... very grippy and comfy. It came razor sharp with a strong hollow grind. Excellent jimping that works in multiple grips. Steel is about 1/8" thick and has a nice forward finger rest for tip work and skinning. A small sharpening choil is a nice touch. It's 9 1/4" long. The sheath is not worth mentioning but it will hold the knife until it starts falling apart. Recommended.

Oral-B Pulsar Medium Bristle Toothbrush , 2 Count, (Colors May Vary)
Oral-B Pulsar Medium Bristle Toothbrush , 2 Count, (Colors May Vary)
Price: $8.47
2 used & new from $8.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Duracell Batteries, June 3, 2015
I have purchased 6 of these and two came with dead Duracell AAA batteries. I took the batts out and tested in other devices and did a voltage test... dead. Once you twist the end cap off the battery is right there but you have to destroy the connection to remove it... set up this way purposely. What a shame that they do this. Great vibrating action on the ones that work though.

Buck Knives 0863BRS Selkirk Survival Knife
Buck Knives 0863BRS Selkirk Survival Knife
Offered by Great Buys & Bargains
Price: $78.95
3 used & new from $52.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife but tip is thin., May 30, 2015
Another winner from Buck! Very nice construction. The flat grind makes this one a cutter... razor sharp! The micarta scales are very nicely shaped and comfy. Comes with a solid steel pommel you can actually, well... pummel things with it. Really handsome look and shape. The plastic sheath is versatile and holds the knife very secure. Fire steel works. To be honest the blade gets a bit slim at the tip. I would rather see a bit more beef here to back up the rough and tough survival knife advertising. I mean, with care it will be fine but this does not pass the survival knife test for me. The slight tip is more suited to camp and skinning tasks than survival but don't let this stop you... this knife can still do a lot and is well worth the money.

Update 7 July 2015: After some use in camp the 420HC holds well. Makes easy feather sticks and other light/medium duty camp tasks. So far so good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Skinning !!, May 13, 2015
This is more of a preview as I just received my Buck S30V Open Season Folder. I bought this knife because I wanted something that had a traditional look with some modern, useable features. You know, a real knife with some weight and style to pull out of its leathery sheath and ready my stogie or quickly perform a task for an unprepared friend or coworker. I really don't intend to use it for skinning game as I would prefer something lighter with a better grip. This one will serve more as belt candy than a hunting knife or even common utility tasks.

When I opened the package I scanned my prize quickly to see if it would serve my stated purpose and the grin quickly spread across my face... mission accomplished. It's lovely, has the right feel and all the proper clicks, snaps and thuds... pleasurable knife walk and talk so to speak! Are you starting to see the picture here? I know a knife is supposed to be a tool and I'm sure I have a few hundred of them to accomplish such tasks but this one will fill a different purpose. Don't get me wrong, it's a very capable knife so let's start here. It is rock solid and has a thick frame. Non plastic washers (not sure if bronze at this point), solid pivot, thick grips and sturdy clip. This is what I was going for... not a lightweight so called tactical deal.

The recurve blade has a strong hollow grind and strong tip. I am not worried about stressing the tip at all. There is forefinger and thumb jimping which aides grip without tearing up your fingers... it's fine. The thumb disk is very easy to access, works flawlessly and can be removed if you prefer flipper only. The flipper is nicely placed and formed. It operates smartly as both flipper and finger guard when opened. Retention is good but my blade lists a bit to the side opposite the lock. It doesn't touch but a tweak of the pivot screw may take care of this. The edge did come scary sharp and has a nice even grind right to the tip... typical Buck work! S30V is accepted as a quality, high end knife steel that that holds an edge, sharpens easily and resists corrosion. It's a great deal at this price. The solid feel frame is lightened with some cut outs on both sides. This is where the liner lock comes in. To me, it's more of a frame lock because it is the thickest piece on that side of the handle and the knife would still function if the Dymondwood scales were removed. Either way you look at it the lock is beefy and tight but still easy to operate with one hand. The scales are nicely shaped with a slight swell. The color is rich and pleasing. The notching is more aesthetic than functional... it's fine. When I viewed pics and video of the knife I wondered about the dark material that is screwed onto the Dymondwood. I thought it might be a grippy material but I was wrong. It's actually more of a blackwashed metal. Again, more for looks and provides a strong nesting spot for the screws... they secure the handle firmly to the frame. The pocket clip is tip up, right hand only... sorry lefties. Slides easily in and out of the pocket without the sheath. There is no lanyard hole but worry not. They did provide a spacer right at the rear upper pommel area to fill this role so problem solved. This spacer works with two more nicely shaped pillars that hold the frame steady.

The knife is comfortable enough in hand but not super soft and fuzzy... after all, it is metal and wood. The grip is okay, not great in my opinion. Your experience may differ. For me, the pommel is a bit on the wide side and the forefinger grip area leaves it a bit loose up front when using a hammer grip. This is not a worry as I can adjust as needed. Besides, trimming my stogies requires no gorilla grip. Much better hold when using a thrust grip with thumb on the spine... seems more natural this way. I'm sure it would skin just fine in any hand hold.. Reverse grip is good should you need to use it. The sheath is fine. The knife slides in best tip up, clip out. It can ride vertical or horizontal on your 1.5" belt and may take a larger one. The blade shape begs the use of a ceramic rod. Learn how to use one... it will rock your world!

Okay, that's about it. Time to get my jeans on, strap this beauty to my belt and find some onlookers to impress. I hope you enjoy yours should you choose one. I recommend!

Uncle Henry 183UH Elk Hunter Full Tang Skinner Fixed Blade
Uncle Henry 183UH Elk Hunter Full Tang Skinner Fixed Blade
Price: $26.55
24 used & new from $25.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Uncle Henry!, April 23, 2015
Nice selection for under 30 bucks. I got mine from another seller before it was available on Amazon. Really a nice looking all around knife for hunting, camping and utility tasks. The nostalgic Staglon is well fitted to the the full tang and the finger grooves are actually form fitting to most hands... not crazy small or large. It is very comfy. The blade has a high flat grind with a strong edge and tip... not too delicate so some rough use is okay. The tip and edge came razor sharp! Very nice satin blade finish. Yes, 7cr17 stainless is nothing special but I have several Schrades with this steel and it is a solid performer that responds well to simple field sharpening. The brass hilt and pins are well done and secure. The tang seems to be cut into a bit at the belly as it passes through the brass hilt but construction is still very solid. The chestnut colored leather sheath is nice and holds the knife secure. I shaved some cedar and made some feathers effortlessly. Recommended!

Update 15 May 2015: After some continued utility use I really like it. The edge keeps just fine and the grip is free of hotspots. I'm really enjoying the more traditional look and feel of this knife. It's a keeper!

Ultimate Survival Technologies Folder Knife, 3.5-Inch, Glo
Ultimate Survival Technologies Folder Knife, 3.5-Inch, Glo
Price: $15.17
21 used & new from $10.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Pleased after some use !, February 26, 2015
Pleasantly surprised with the 3.5 model. Blade 3 5/8", Overall 9 3/8", 8 3/8 minus carabiner. Is actually well made, sturdy and feels good in the hand. Rubber over mold is very grippy. The serrations are the jagged, pointy type and will snag on rope and strap a bit. They are sharp though and can be made smoother as I have done. The blade opens easily and locks tightly. It is a bit thin, full flat grind and fine tip. I have no concerns with normal folder work. Teflon washers. Thumb stud is set for right handed only... not sure if it will screw off, seems tight and I don't want to break it. Pivot pin is adjustable and strong with torx head. You can choke up with forefinger right before the serrations and thumb over the ramp which gives you better use of the fine edge if needed. Normal grip is very sure with useful thumb jimping on the ramp. Carabiner is strong and simple. Yes, it does glow for a few hours as advertised. Fine edge needed a touch up. Nice choice to have hanging on your pack, gear or belt for quick and easy access. I would buy again from Amazon. Less than 15 bucks is a bargain. I got it for 10 change.

Update 3/13/15: After a few hikes and some moderate use the liner lock travels past the blade tang and jams between tang and opposite liner. It seems like the blade stop pin is very soft metal and has indented which causes the over travel of the liner lock. This may not be the case with all these knives but this is what is happening with mine. Yes, the pivot screw is tight... it does not loosen at all. Too bad because I really liked the overall feel and design of the knife.

MTECH USA XTREME MX-8108 8-Inch Fixed Stone Black Blade Knife with Black G10 Handle
Price: $20.50
9 used & new from $15.80

5.0 out of 5 stars MTECH MX-8108, February 19, 2015
This is why I don't spend a lot on knives. There is not a lot to complain about this 20 dollar knife. It came fairly sharp, evenly ground and crafted. No strange misalignment or uneven edges... it looks good. The G10 handle is comfortable and shaped well. There are no hot spots for me. A sturdy hollow grind and tip can take a beating and it performs common outdoor tasks just fine. I chopped, batoned, stabbed and shaved quite a bit of different wood materials. I thought the sheath was just fine, easily modified to suit the user. Knife alone is a hair under 7oz and the ful tang does make it handle heavy but this is not a problem for me. Enjoy it!

Colt Linerlock Smooth Knife, Black
Colt Linerlock Smooth Knife, Black
Offered by Best Service Stores
Price: $18.29
9 used & new from $16.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Get It !!, November 16, 2014
Um... Wow! This is an unexpected surprise for D2 steel. Sturdy hollow grind came scary sharp. Nice even edge, great lock up, blade centering and retention when closed. 3.2oz weight, 3.25" blade with 3" cutting edge. 7.75" overall length. Tip is sharp and comes to a good point. Smooth action with teflon washers. Smooth G10 scales offer good grip. Pocket clip is loop over deep carry style but the screw heads protrude a bit and may wear pocket edge in time. Also, the pocket clip must be removed to adjust pivot screw. The action is very smooth and simple to operate with one hand... convenient for EDC. I carved on a piece of oak for a couple hours... still razor sharp! The knife has a light feel but remains tight and sturdy after use. I can believe the D2 steel claim. Comes in a fancy box with magnetic closure and foam insert. Recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14