Profile for FatChickDancing > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 284

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

FatChickDancing RSS Feed (FL United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotts Turf Builder Zoysia Grass Seed & Mulch
Scotts Turf Builder Zoysia Grass Seed & Mulch
Price: $31.19
6 used & new from $30.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Great So Far, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this product, so my expectations were not large. But it appears that I live in the perfect environment for this type of grass -- a lot of hot weather and rain for much of the year. It was easy to spread with a hand broadcaster, and it came up quickly. I couldn't delay my review to report on how good it does against weeds, but other folks I've talked to in this area tell me it takes a long while for Zoysia to completely choke them out, and once it does, it keeps them out well. Not able to see this for my own eyes yet, I'm holding back a star. Scotts claims the product blocks weeds, and I want to make sure it does so on my lawn before getting all jolly five-starred about it.

Calvin Klein euphoria for Men Eau de Toilette, 1 fl. oz.
Calvin Klein euphoria for Men Eau de Toilette, 1 fl. oz.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dysphoria, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have enjoyed Calvin Klein fragrances in the past and was looking forward to this one, perhaps as a present for someone special. Good thing I tried it out first. The top note from the first spritz smelled like vetiver or linolool, and I'm not a fan. The follow up note was citrus, and I was almost forgiving, but then it became an olfactory monster which I can only describe as dysphoric. Extremely irritating. No matter what pheromones a man might be sporting, I can't conceive of this fragrance helping me to enjoy his presence at all. I wafted a sample sprayed on cardboard under my male cat's nose and he winced and ran off. Perhaps I can use it in the garden and gain the same results with the squirrels.

Stanley ATS-106 TV Top Shelf-Small Size, 6-Inch Width
Stanley ATS-106 TV Top Shelf-Small Size, 6-Inch Width
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Found Space for Speakers, DVDs, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What a neat little portable shelf by Stanley. It was hard to tell from the photo just how it would mount, but there's an overhang edge about a quarter of an inch long which you fit over the top front edge of your flat screen TV. The rubberized tip on the bottom of the brace bar you bend towards the back wall of the TV until it rests against it while at the same time presenting an even surface along the top. Once you play with the angles a bit you see how it works. It's very easy. Then you lock that position in place with a pull-in tab and bam! You've got a new shelf. Want to move it to the other end? Just lift it up and set it back down. You don't have to change the angle of the brace bar unless the contour of the back of your set varies. It's a great size for a Bose tweeter. I received two shelves and I tried them out on the large 42" set as well as my 18".
I was pleased to find included a thin rubberized mat for each shelf, which has small holes for air flow. My household only has the one set of Bose speakers, but I'm thinking of getting a separate pair of these shelves for the set that's used primarily for the blueray/DVD. One side can sport a stack of next to be watched, while the other will have the recently seen. Very sturdy and well crafted items.

Selling Your House: Nolo's Essential Guide
Selling Your House: Nolo's Essential Guide
by Ilona Bray J.D.
Price: $18.62
43 used & new from $15.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep Calm and Carry this Book, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book has already helped me to help a friend to understand some of the processes involved in real estate transactions. It is written clearly, though because there are so many variations to real estate law throughout the land, it can't completely advise. I liken it to trying to describe an elephant in the dark by touch alone. It gets 4 stars for the architecture through which to navigate, but to me, a lot of the advice seemed like just common sense, like accepting the offer that will best close escrow instead of just taking the highest offer.

For all you newbies out there, this could be a 5 star book. It categorizes well, follows a logical process, offers the opinions of experts in the field of real estate selling, as well as reactions of actual sellers. The calm, cool logic with which it communicates is, itself, a bonus, to keep sellers focused on each new step and not let the stress of the situation get to them. Heck, even for those of us who have been through this situation more than once, it can serve as a life preserver to refer back to, so we don't also sink under the stress. Sometimes you just want simple words and simple ideas to reflect upon.

OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Crisper Filter, One Pack
OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Crisper Filter, One Pack
Price: $5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Performance, Surprising in an OXO Product, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wish I could give this more stars, because I usually love OXO products. But in this case, I was astonished to find that the fresh organic kale, I'd purchased just a few days prior, had gone bad. A few more items seemed to show accelerated aging - not at all what I expected. I quickly had to make a large soup to use the items up.
Sorry, but my vegetable drawer does much better at preserving produce by itself, or in the humid summer, with an open box of baking soda. I realize the item is low cost, but my organic veggies are very expensive. I was hoping for better results.

Hill's Ideal Balance Crafted Grain Free Herbed Chicken and Chickpeas Recipe Dry Dog Food Bag, 3.3-Pound
Price: $14.07

2.0 out of 5 stars My Cats Said No, April 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got to try out Hill's Crafted Seared Tuna on my cats and they loved every kibble and had no bad effects. So when I was offered this version, I jumped at the chance to offer them the chicken variety. They don't like it.
At first, the male was eager to snorf some down. I tried the little sample dish I'd tried before, but these kibble are a lot different from the tuna variety. They're twice as big, a bland beige color, and the smell was off-putting to my nose. But Bynx waded in there and lapped/crunched his way through about ten of the pale objects, just to keep the female from getting any. A little later, he was lying on his cat mat by the window looking discontent in a unique way to the other hundred expressions of discontent he can muster. He was grouchy all day. I put out about 5 of the nuggets for the female, and she only ate 2 and left the other three. Then she drank a bunch of water, and seemed to go over and loom over the male, as though laughing at him for being so stupid. (Anthropomorphizing? Maybe. I pay very close attention to my kitties when trying new food on them.)
To be fair, in the product reviews for the seared tuna, a reviewer claimed her experience was that the chicken was better received by her cat(s) and she only gave a fair rating to to tuna. So, just as people, cats have varied tastes.
I must say that the tuna kibbles were not only lots smaller, but of varied shapes that made it easy for the cats to lick up and then find the edges of so they could crunch them up well. Plus, they wanted that food even before I pulled it from the box and ate every last kibble. Each day, they look in the cat bowl and then up at me with disappointment that I haven't gotten another bag of the tuna for them.
My cats are Bengal/Mao mixed American short hairs, 6 years old, and are not allow past their immense screened back porch, if that helps you in your decision. I have a friend who's feeding ferals and wants to work some of this chicken into their less nutritious food so it won't go to waste. I wanted to give this product 3 stars, but then I found the volume of cat hurl behind that cat bed by the window, all of it pale and mealy. So 2.

The Sunlit Night
The Sunlit Night
by Dinerstein Rebecca
Price: $19.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of Consideration, April 8, 2015
This review is from: The Sunlit Night (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The most delightful thing about this book for me is where New York City glib angst meets Norse stoic terseness. Much of the characters' interaction was entertaining as a result. In many respects, these two types of cultures just don't get each other, even if physically and emotionally attracted. Thus, there are a lot of mis-connects in their relationships, some of which move the plot forward. Some cause the reader to pause in bewilderment along with the characters.
Other reviewers have described the plot already, and I noticed one commenter said that this didn't convince him as to why he should read the book. Other than its being well written, what this story does is to create a range of mental/emotional viewpoints and then swing between them in such a way as to let the reader gauge his or her own comfort zone along that vast pendulum sweep. In short, it seriously teaches you more about yourself. Ultimately, isn't this why we mostly read about other peoples' lives? That, and to be entertained, which this book also gives in ample supply.
There's a lot of existentialism to be found: "What does it matter if you do what you love, if what you love doesn't matter?" It's a novel, a.k.a. it will bring something new into your thoughts that will be worthwhile to consider.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 12:11 PM PDT

The Woman Who Stole My Life: A Novel
The Woman Who Stole My Life: A Novel
by Marian Keyes
Price: $20.48

5.0 out of 5 stars The Woman Who'll Steal Your Attention, March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For all the writers and would-be published novelists out there, this is an interesting and sometimes hilarious story about the process. It chronicles someone who is basically not a writer, per se, but through unusual circumstances has a book published and then gets swept up in the wild business of book promotion, New York traditional style.
One of my favorite parts is where the main character, Stella, is trying day after day to write a second book and after sitting at her keyboard for long periods of time, can only manage one word, and I can't repeat that here. She deals with many women's issues like, surly teenagers, loser husband who becomes ex-husband, auto accident, terrible illness, blooming romance, bitter girlfriends, financial woes, a weight-loss-resistant belly, and major betrayals. I managed to finish the book in one day of marathon reading, so at no point did the action dip to wanting to set the story aside.
The title is appropriate on several levels, which I won't reveal, but which is one of the many special treats you will discover in reading this book.

Hill's Ideal Balance Crafted Seared Tuna, Barley and Peas Recipe Dry Cat Food Bag, 2-Pound
Price: $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Input, Less Smelly Output, March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My two cats went crazy for this even before I could get it unpacked from the shipping box! I did little samples at first, which disappeared. No ill effects or wretchings. So I added a little to their other dry food - Blue Buffalo's Wilderness Trout. They seemed upset with me that they had to include their "old" food along with ingesting this new and exciting stuff. Previously, they'd thought the trout to be the cat's meow.
I went back to giving them little treat bowls - one for each, to avoid warfare. This went on for a couple more days and while I didn't notice any detrimental effects I did discover something rather nice for the household.
Not only weren't they barfing up, their cat boxes became less reminiscent of a toxic waste dump. Ordinarily, my female's litter box has to be cleaned in a well-ventilated spot in order not to pass out from the stench. But this new food has simmered that down, yet output and stool formation remains consistent as before. The cats are coming up on 7 years old, and they're indoor cats only, so their immune systems are pretty fine.
I've had to mix the remainder of the bag with their former food whilst I find a way to order more, (out of stock at Amazon, presently) or risk the wrath of unsatisfied kitties - and I'm sure you all know what that is like. Guess we're all hooked on this new product.

Ortho Bug-Geta Snail and Slug Killer, 6-Pound
Ortho Bug-Geta Snail and Slug Killer, 6-Pound
Price: $16.99
7 used & new from $16.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use and Effective, March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I waited until we were going to get a lot of rain before putting down these granules, first, to see if it would still work after the rain, but second, in case it stank really bad, in which case the rain would hopefully diminish the stench. I needn't have been concerned. It works like a charm and the odor is slight and dissipates.
It was kind of a Night of the Living Dead scenario at first, as I had no idea just how many of these slimy things were lurking around my house until I looked out the next day and found all these corpses lying around. Creeps me out a little, as I dislike killing anything off. But having a vegetable garden, herb garden, and potted blooming plants on my front porch may have upset the balance of nature around here and drawn them from miles around. At some point, one must stake one's claim to be able to grow one's own food and enjoy beauty at one's doorstep.
There's no lack of birds or other wildlife since using the product, thankfully. There's plenty of product to last all growing season in this 6 lb bag. I found dispensing easy, too. Just hold the bag against my body with one arm and use that hand to stabilize the cap while unscrewing with the other hand - sort of like working a bagpipe. Glad to see Ortho using selective green ingredients.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20