Profile for Daniel G. Lebryk > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel G. Lebryk RSS Feed (Chicago)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Beessential Dead Sea Mud Soap - 5 Oz. Net Wt.
Beessential Dead Sea Mud Soap - 5 Oz. Net Wt.
Offered by Beesential
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mud? Soap? What? How Do You Get Clean With Mud?, January 22, 2015
Mud soap sounds like all the wrong thing - isn't soap supposed to get dirt / mud off your body? Well this mud soap is something super special that I really love. No soap isn't supposed to get you excited, or be happy to use it. This soap is different.

The soap lathers so easily. Most of the artisanal soaps smell good, look pretty, and then are impossible to use. I rubbed this on my wet wash cloth and got a soft quick lather. Not many soaps act like that - not even Dove. And then I used this on my face. That soft lather felt so good. Rinsing left my skin feeling smooth and soft - certainly clean.

Hey, it didn't make my wash cloth all muddy either. That's a bonus.

The soap has very little odor, maybe a tiny bit of earthiness, but essentially fragrance free. That's a good thing for mud soap.

The ingredients are something special - simple and good. Saponified oils of: Olive, palm, coconut oil, shea butter babassu (whatever the heck babassu is), beeswax, and castor. And the last ingredient - Dead Sea Mud.

Oh the best part of this soap - it comes in a simple cardboard box. Absolutely no plastic. I love that. Simple classic fabulous design. When soap is well made, there is no need to cover it in plastic.

I was provided a review sample.

EcoJeannie ZT0003 Professional Hand Held Cheese Grater Lemon Zester for Slicing, Heavy Duty, Commercial Grade, Non-Slip Easy-Grip Handle, High Quality Stainless Steel
Offered by Arrow Industries Inc
Price: $26.99
3 used & new from $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, January 22, 2015
Length:: 0:07 Mins

Shaved cheese, chocolate, or butter - that's what this great kitchen tool does. This makes some gorgeous curls of product. I love this grater so much. I've never really seen anything quite like this. Those little slots are the secret.

The whole thing can go in the dishwasher. The soft handle feels good in my hand. It cuts smoothly and cleanly without requiring too much pressure on the pull stroke.

This does make a bit of a mess unless you use a big plate or bowl to catch the curls. I found it was easier, and maybe a little safer to hold the cheese in my hand and then pull the grater over toward me.

I was provided a review sample.

NomNom Delights Gourmet Caramel Candy 24 Piece Box Individually Wrapped & Handmade with Real Butter & Gluten Free (Original)
Offered by ShopTivia!
Price: $19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Do You Have To Taste So Darn Good???, January 22, 2015
Oh these are sooooo goooooodd. Why in the world do I have these?

These are creamy smooth with absolute fabulous mouthfeel. They melt slowly in my mouth. At room temperature they are soft and cut easily with a knife. Who ever thought cutting a caramel with a knife would be important. Well, yeah, it is - each candy is big and the whole thing won't fit in my mouth (well it does, but I can't talk for 5 minutes while I'm trying to eat it). Cutting a small slice off is the perfect way to eat these (butter knife - no need for a sharp knife). At colder temperatures - like refrigerator, they are firm.

They say handmade on the plastic box - they are irregular enough that I'm guessing somebody is wrapping these by hand. I'll believe totally handmade in small batches if I saw a video.

Caramel has no business tasting this good. Not in a million years. The butter and milk flavor is so impressive in these. Those little square caramels you buy from that great big corporation around Halloween - these are 5 million times better. I've tasted those little square caramels fresh off the production line - they're better. If you could eat those fresh off the line, I'd say the NomNoms are only 1 million times better.

This doesn't look like a lot of caramel - it is a ton though. Cutting slices off spreads out the flavor for much longer.

Oh these are amazing. The ingredient line is called out in the product description. It is made from good things.

I was provided a review sample.

Aldecoa Nespresso Coffee Capsules, Intense, 10 Count (Pack of 4)
Aldecoa Nespresso Coffee Capsules, Intense, 10 Count (Pack of 4)
Offered by C4 Coffee and Tea shop
Price: $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good - Money Saver versus Nespresso, January 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 0:21 Mins

Nespresso compatible capsules have been around Europe for a quite a few years - somebody got the great idea to make these popular in Europe capsules for less money than Nespresso charges. About two years ago that company tried to import those capsules into the US. They met with about the same lack of success in the US. The espresso just wasn't nearly as good and the price difference wasn't big enough to warrant buying the alternatives.

Nespresso also kind of declared war in Europe by manufacturing machines that would bypass the plastic compatible capsules.

Fast forward to today; Aldecoa is now trying the same thing in the United States. The espresso is a little better and the price difference is $0.13 per capsule ($0.70 for genuine Nespresso versus $0.57 for these). Is it worth the savings?

I think these are good capsules; they haven't swayed me away from the genuine article. I'll continue to buy Nespresso capsules.

The espresso is pretty good - it is a little thinner than an equivalent intense Nespresso - Arpeggio comes to mind. The crema isn't nearly as thick and the flavor is just a little more watered down. The Aldecoa is less complex. For a basic cup, it's not bad. Still way better than the earlier compatible attempt.

The problem is sealing the capsule. The Aldecoa capsules are made of plastic with a foil cap. Nespresso capsules are hermetically sealed aluminum all around. When I opened the foil coated plastic package of the Aldecoa capsules, I was met with the wonderful smell of coffee. What a fabulous aroma. Well that's a super-bad thing. That means the minute I opened the plastic bag, the capsules were now degrading, losing flavor. If I can smell the coffee, it is losing flavor that should go in the cup, not the air. Because Nespresso uses aluminum, there is never a smell of coffee until after the cup has been brewed.

I do like the cardboard box that doubles as a dispenser for the capsules. Aldecoa did a fantastic job on that design.

The other problem with the plastic capsules - they cannot be recycled. Nespresso now does a full recycling program for their capsules. I can collect used capsules in a green Nespresso bag and take them to any Nespresso store or Sur La Table for recycling. If those are far away, I can order a free plastic bag from Nespresso and drop the full bag off at UPS for recycling. I like that a lot. Even though there isn't a lot of aluminum in the capsules, it is reused, not going to landfill. These plastic capsules have to go to landfill - they cannot be recycled no matter the type of plastic - the coffee inside precludes that (well I guess you could empty and rinse the capsule, but that is a major pain in the rear).

Some people might find the $0.13 savings a benefit. All things considered, I'll stick with Nespresso's capsules, even though the Aldecoa are pretty good.

Aurum Cables Cat6 Snagless Network Ethernet Patch Cable - 5 Pack - White - 1.5 Feet
Offered by CABLE-MIX
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cables, January 22, 2015
Ethernet cables a commodity item that pretty much works or doesn't work. These Aurum cables are nice. 1.5 feet is short, and can be a useful size, especially for patch panels.

Aurum includes a great bonus package of wire ties - I love the multiple colors. A person can never have too many wire or zip ties.

These are well built cables. The ends are molded on tightly. The snagless portion (the white flap over the clear tab) works as it should. The connectors are the right size.

I love the packaging - a simple plastic bag. There is no need to package these in needless cardboard and blister packs. These are simple cables that don't require a bunch of nonsense packaging.

Westmark Germany "Niro" Swivel Peeler With Hanging Hole
Westmark Germany "Niro" Swivel Peeler With Hanging Hole
Offered by Home Fashions
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School Great, January 22, 2015
There are two types of peelers, harp and something more like a knife. This is the knife style peeler. You grab the peeler at the handle, just like a knife and move it around the thing you want to peel. I like how much control this peeler gives me. Harp peelers are the big wide U shaped handle that you hold more in your fist and drag the peeler.

This is one super tough peeler. The blade is very sharp. I was able to make orange peel garnishes for drinks easily with this. A lot of peelers are unhappy with oranges.

The big shark fin on the peeler is a sharpened blade for removing potato eyes or other things you find while peeling.

This fits in my hand perfectly. I have put it in the top rack of my dishwasher with no problems.

This is a great solid basic peeler.

I was provided a review sample.

Woder Survival Water Filter Bottle w High Performance Ionic Filtration System - 100Gal Cartridge Capacily - Made in USA - 24oz. BPA Free Bottle w Flip-Top Lid and Sipping Straw - EPA Approved in Accordance w ANSI / NSF - Filters Toxic chemicals, Heavy Metals, Microbiological and Bacteriostatic
Offered by Shefi
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Water Bottle, January 22, 2015
Survival water filter - well that might be a use for this bottle. I think it is a lot more useful than that. This water filter gets rid of nasty taste in tap water. I just spent a weekend in a hotel in Indianapolis that had the nastiest tasting water in the world - it was softened water that I didn't want to drink. This bottle is the perfect thing to solve that problem. I've also stayed at places with well water that has a bad sulfur odor to it - this removes that smell completely.

I will trust that the bacteria removal is true. I don't have access to a micro lab to test the claim. There is every reason on the world to believe the filter works.

If you'd like neutral tasting water, this is the water bottle for you. This is far better than using a Brita water filter. The problem with Brita pitchers - all the chlorine is removed from the water. That means water without an anti-mold or bacterial agent is sitting in a pitcher. Over time, algae and mold can grow in those pitchers. With this water bottle, pure water is created on demand. It never sits around without chlorine in the water waiting for things to grow.

The other side of Brita filters; they are simply an activated charcoal filter that removes odors and flavors. The filter in this bottle is an ion exchange product and a microbiological filter. That means it removes far more contaminants. This is a far better filter.

For the first use, discard the first cup of water. The filter needs to be flushed for the very first use.

It is a little different to drink from this bottle. You have to squeeze the bottle and suck a bit on the straw. The filter requires some pressure to work. After you've squeezed out some water, releasing the bottle doesn't make a bunch of bubbling noise. They have a brilliant relief valve that makes no noise.

The blue color is pretty. The filter does take up room inside the bottle, so it isn't a huge water bottle.

The great news - you really don't have to haul water if you are hiking. Because the filter is rated for impurities and bacteria, you can get water from an outdoor faucet or stream. It is nice to grab water on the go instead of hauling it around.

The black cap rotates to pinch off and seal the silicone drinking straw. It flips up easily for drinking.

The capacity of 100 gallons of municipal water or 25 gallons of common outdoor water sources seems very reasonable for a water bottle.

I was provided a review sample.

Chafon Multifuntional Hunting Camping Pocket Knife LED Flashlight - Auto Glass Safety Emergency Hammer-Seatbelt Cutter-Great Christmas Gift(Black)
Offered by ChafonDirect
Price: $18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, January 22, 2015
This is a pretty good multi-tool device. The flashlight is good, a couple of the tools are nice, and the car window breaking tool is excellent. There are a few things that aren't top notch. The tool seems like the kind of thing you get for free bonus points.

I had a lot of trouble putting in the batteries. This uses three AAA batteries that aren't included. Those batteries are inserted in a carrier that has to be inserted exactly right into the flashlight. A clip fell out of the holder and it wasn't clear which end went up. Removing the battery holder full of batteries was difficult.

The switch to turn on the flashlight or the red light is too easy to move. It was easy to turn the flashlight on accidently.

This is a big device, maybe a bit bigger than necessary. The multi-tool Swiss Army style deal at the rear is pretty useful. Some of the tools are hard to pull out. The pliers are pretty small. The flat head screwdriver is rounded off and the Philips head screwdriver is for a kind of non-standard size, more like size 0 than the more common 2.

The window breaking cone is the nicest thing on the tool. That tool hides away in a positive fashion. The button to release it takes a healthy deliberate press. In order to break a window, simply swing the tool at the window hard. The window will shatter and drop not sharp bits of glass.

Watch Box 3 Mens Black Leather Display Pmma Top Jewelry Case Organizer
Watch Box 3 Mens Black Leather Display Pmma Top Jewelry Case Organizer
Offered by My mysterious
Price: $29.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, January 20, 2015
What a beautiful small box. The box is designed to display watches, and it does a remarkable great job at that. This is so much more than a box to just display watches.

The box is finished in shiny black PU leather with white stitching. PU leather is traditional cow hide that has been covered with polyurethane finish for texture and color. PU leather looks good, has a soft feeling, and wears reasonably well. The interior is ivory colored flocking on cardboard. The three watch pillows are covered with the same flocking on cloth. The silver catch on the front is magnetic, so it is easy to open and close the case.

The two dividers can be removed from the box - so this could be used as a beautiful single compartment box.

I was provided a review sample.

EcoJeannie CK0001 6-Inch Advanced Ceramic Blade Professional Chef's Knife with Plastic Cover, 13.7 by 13.7 by 5-Inch, Coffee
Price: $20.16
3 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So Great, January 20, 2015
This is the latest generation of ceramic knives. The blade on this knife is about the thickness of a steel blade, it is much lighter, and can maintain sharpness longer without constant maintenance.

I really love this knife. I have big hands and like big heavy knives, little light knives make me mad. I fell in love with this knife. One big deal for me is cutting pizzas. Ceramic knives can't do that very well - this one is perfect for that job.

The handle is soft matte material that feels great in my hand. The blade is tall. Some of the new generation ceramic blades aren't very sharp - this one is razor sharp. Cutting tomatoes was easy.

The old ceramic blades were so fragile and thin. I never felt comfortable using them. I like how this feels like my steel knives.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20