Profile for FlamingoGirl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

FlamingoGirl "MRZ" RSS Feed (Virginia)

Page: 1 | 2
Gala
Gala
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, January 11, 2015
This review is from: Gala (Kindle Edition)
A good enjoyable read with an interesting plot, anyone that likes a nice, clean love story will enjoy this. Though set in the future about 40 years the story isn't really very "sci fi", and that would be my only small complaint. I rather wish that aspect had been fleshed out more. I'd have loved to know more about what supposedly happened to destroy our world and lead to the New West/TriState set up. Fleshing out that, as well as Gala's life/emotions/thoughts etc during her marriage and days in New West would have made for more depth within the story. Also the dialogue felt a bit sparse and sometimes a little stiff and formal. Still, I found the characters likeable and relateable and enjoyed the premise of the novel. It was a good read for a Saturday afternoon. I look forward to reading more by this author in the future.

Glastonbury: A Novel of the Holy Grail
Glastonbury: A Novel of the Holy Grail
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly satisfying and inspiring read!, November 28, 2014
I'm a big fan of historical fiction and this book delivers. It's a beautifully written book about the spread of Christianity through England focused on Glastonbury (obviously,lol). Despite the book's religious focus it is never preachy and the religious beliefs/quotes feel very organic to the story. You quickly come to care about each character and I found each story to be very inspiring. None of the characters are perfect but all come to God in their own way. As a spiritual but non religious person this book actually made me examine my own faith and deepened my own feelings about the Devine. I wasn't expecting that at all as I tend to be a bit jaded. I really liked this book and will reread it again in future. If you like historical fiction, christian fiction, or just meaty well written books you can not go wrong with this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2014 8:53 AM PST

Victorian Secrets: What a Corset Taught Me about the Past, the Present, and Myself
Price: $12.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject but disappointing read, April 12, 2014
I was really excited when I read of this book in an article i found online and I immediately bought it on my Kindle without even bothering to read the sample first as I usually do. I love history, particularly Victorian, and am enamored with corsets. How could I go wrong with a book about a woman who falls in love with wearing corsets? Unfortunately this book did fall flat with me mainly because the author came across, to me, as snarky, pompous, and generally self-righteous. In every single chapter it seems she says something rude about someone else's looks, intelligence, manners etc. and yet writes about being irritated and offended by other people judging her looks & lifestyle choices. She comes off quite smug in her own superiority. I sincerely hope that her writing voice is not a true representation of her real life personality but unfortunately I couldn't get past thinking that she often came off sounding haughty, judgmental and arrogant. The storyline itself wasn't really what I expected either. I expected to read more detail about adjusting to wearing a corset full time. I couldn't have cared less to read about her broken foot, relationship with her mother, or the repeated anecdotes about being irritated by people(usually dumpy, over the hill, ignoramuses with posture similar to apes; to borrow some of her descriptions ) who had annoyed her by asking silly questions. I think it could have been a much more interesting and informative read if the author had climbed down from her high horse and really tried to engage the reader and draw them into her love for corsetry and the Victorian era. This book fell very short of my excited expectations.

The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (The Gresham Chronicles Book #2)
The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (The Gresham Chronicles Book #2)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, uplifting and enjoyable read, August 25, 2013
Reminiscent of Jan Karon's Mitford series but set in the late 1800's in England, this is a very lovely story entwining several plot lines revolving around the inhabitants of a small English country town and it's Vicar. It's a wholesome christian story but not preachy at all. it's the second in a series but could easily be read without having to read it's successor, though I also highly recommend that book too. (The widow of Larkspur Inn). I plan to start the next book in this series ASAP and will look forward to reading any other books written by this author!!

City of a Thousand Gods; The Story of Noah's Daughter-in-Law
City of a Thousand Gods; The Story of Noah's Daughter-in-Law
Price: $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent plot, characters that pull you in, November 30, 2012
This is the first biblically based fictional novel I've read and I have to say I loved it. The only reason I gave 4 stars instead of five was because the author's dialogue and occasional descriptions throughout the book weren't in keeping with the time period & were very modern sounding which pulled me out of the story somewhat. An example that comes to mind was when one of the sons of Noah taled about hobbling a camel and said the camel was still able to boogie, another was in describing how Atarah got dressed referring to her distracted state as Zombie like. There were other times, particularly when characters talked to eachother that the dialogue was just too modern sounding. Honestly though that was my only complaint with this book and overall it was excellent. The storyline really caught and held my attention to the point that I couldn't put it down. The characters felt real, with both good and bad qualities that brought them to life. I'm still, days later, touched by the whole Gadreel aspect of the storyline. The author brought the world before the flood to life and I found myself fascinated. Noah and his family left me wanting to know more. I truly hope this author does a second novel about Atarah & Shem and the rebuilding after the flood. The author has an excellent writing style and ability to immerse the reader into her world. There is a lot of depth to this book and particularly in the character and plot development. Well worth buying and reading more than once!!

Balboa Baby Adjustable Sling by Dr. Sears - Flower
Balboa Baby Adjustable Sling by Dr. Sears - Flower

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely my fav baby product, November 24, 2012
I adored this baby sling and wore it daily with both of my children. My first daughter practically lived in it and during her first few months this sling kept me sane because it was the ONLY thing that would soothe her during her colicky times. I carried her in it until she was 18 months and only moved her out of it because her newborn brother needed it. She occasionally wanted to be carried in it even after she turned two! It's a great product and the only baby product I bought that I truly wouldn't have wanted to do without.

Britax Boulevard 65 TSIP Convertible Car Seat, Shannon
Britax Boulevard 65 TSIP Convertible Car Seat, Shannon

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great car seat, November 24, 2012
We found this a bit time consuming to install but overall love the seat which seems extremely safe and comfortable. We chose the purple and yellow flower pattern & loved how bright and cheerful it looked.

Little Women (Sterling Unabridged Classics)
Little Women (Sterling Unabridged Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favorite book, November 24, 2012
I got this for free for reading on my Kindle and I just LOVE being able to read it whenever the mood strikes, wherever I may be. I own several hardback copies of this book and generally reread it every year or two but now that it's on my kindle I find myself reading a chapter or two whenever I have ime to kill. Love this classic story!!

SSG Mane Event Glove - Mens Universal 8/9
SSG Mane Event Glove - Mens Universal 8/9
Offered by Saddles N' Stuff
Price: $18.00
3 used & new from $18.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Much too tight, November 24, 2012
This review is from: SSG Mane Event Gloves (Misc.)
I bought these for my husband in the size that should have fit him but they were so tight even I couldn't wear them. Seemed to be well made and looked very nice but I'd suggest buying a size or two bigger than you think you will need.

The Complete Thin Man Collection (The Thin Man / After the Thin Man / Another Thin Man / Shadow of the Thin Man / The Thin Man Goes Home / Song of the Thin Man / Alias Nick and Nora)
DVD ~ William Powell
Offered by kylakins
Price: $36.99
15 used & new from $28.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful classic movie collection, November 24, 2012
Great dialogue, charming & funny lead characters, wonderfully acted by two sublime silver screen actors. What more could you want?

Page: 1 | 2