Profile for "The Woj" > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 478

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"The Woj" RSS Feed (Downers Grove, IL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ShutUp&Jam!
ShutUp&Jam!
Price: $11.99
57 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Ted Best Album Since "Scream Dream"..., July 10, 2014
This review is from: ShutUp&Jam! (Audio CD)
Seems someone is out to trash this album by putting out several "one star" reviews. I felt a bit compelled to post my thoughts, although for sake of "ASAP", my usual tedious attention to details and proper grammar may be absent. Cred....bought the first Ted Nugent album on vinyl back in '75. I have purchased every album since and have seen him live at least a half dozen times over the years. Ok?
With Ted, it is always about the sound. They guitar sound. The guitar sound you hear which makes you immediately reply....that's Ted! This album is Ted's signature sound through and through. The band is kick @ss and the overall production is top rate. Very similar in overall sound and production to Ted's last great guitar masterpiece, "Scream Dream". All the instruments are clear and bright with Ted's guitar right up front in the mix...where it should be. "Shutup & Jam!" has a real tube, rather than digitalized/transistor feel. Nugent has never been about introspective, deep and emotional lyrics...so you won't get that here. Ted has exchanged poontang, making pussies purr and salami legs for BBQ's, Firearms and Jammin'. Like I said, the lyrics (at least for me) have always been secondary to Ted's arsenal of guitar licks and riffs. The album rocks, rolls, funks, rhythms and blues's (sic?). My only beef is only one vocal appearance by Derek St. Holmes. Even though Ted's vocals are surprisingly good, I would have liked to hear St. Holmes on a few more tracks. Actually rating would be 4.5 stars, but decided to round it up rather than down. So if ya like old time Ted, this one is a for sure.
****The title track puzzled me at first. I knew the melody and chorus came from a old 60's tune, but it took a few listens before a bulb went on. The band who recorded the song came to me first, then the title of the track itself. If you know it, who originally wrote the song?****

Make My Day: Back To Blues
Make My Day: Back To Blues
Price: $16.62
25 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Eddie's Guitar Overshadows All!, June 29, 2014
Even in the blues guitar "format", Clarke's guitar is instantly recognizable. His solos are smooth, effortless and yes, still "fast" (at times). Most of the tracks are played at your standard blues to up-tempo blues rock pace. The exception is the instrumental, "Ethereal Blue", which could be considered a very, very distant cousin to Peter Green's "Supernatural". The vocals are really the only weak link here, lying somewhere between passable and brutal; however, Eddie's guitar consistently comes to the rescue. The rhythm section is simple and tight laying a perfect back round for Clarke's guitar. The song "Walking Too Slow" is my favorite. It could almost pass for an early Motorhead demo track. The overall sound and mix is great...no loudness wars here whatsoever.
All in all way, way better than I ever expected, hence my need to post this review.

Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Minimalist Running Shoe
Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Minimalist Running Shoe
Price: $79.00 - $119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain free!, June 15, 2014
Short and sweet. I am 53 years old. Between the ages of 17 and 26, I broke my right foot 4 times (most likely due to structural issues). Despite this I still continued to run and train; and still do. However, running, walking, treadmill and similar activities have been dropped due to discomfort and pain in my right foot. The Merrell shoe is the first shoe I have purchased in recent memory which has fit like it was custom made for my feet. The comfort level is awesome, yes awesome! I have been able to take up exercises which require my feet to take a bit of a "pounding" ie jogging, treadmill and walking. After I finish this review, I am off to purchase another pair.
What to take from my rant? The shoes fit to size. They do not run narrow. They are worth every cent or cash back bonus dollar.
Rock on Merrell!

Metal Clone X - Metal Clone X [Japan CD] AVCH-78029
Metal Clone X - Metal Clone X [Japan CD] AVCH-78029
30 used & new from $11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Friedman's Heaviest Effort?, April 25, 2014
I don't really care for the growling, brutal, grunting metal vocals....just not my frosty mug of brew. The vocals on this album are rough, gruff, and growling; however, they are sung in Japanese. I can't put my finger on it, but they just sound flat out sound cool. They seem to blend in and flow with the music almost like they are another instrument in the band. Now, you add Marty Friedman's slashing, ripping and whirling fretwork and you have one "awesome" metal album. Arguably some of Marty's heaviest work, but not at the expense of being melodic. I got this after seeing Marty on "That Metal Show" and am happy I did.
If you have enjoyed any of Friedman's past work, this is a "doh" no brainer.

Ultralive Ballisticrock [2 CD/DVD Deluxe Edition][Explicit]
Ultralive Ballisticrock [2 CD/DVD Deluxe Edition][Explicit]
Price: $14.48
47 used & new from $7.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Ted's Best Live Effort Since "Double Live Gonzo", November 3, 2013
First, this review is mainly about the cds and the music. I have not even cued up the dvd yet. But for $15, I consider the dvd a huge bonus making this package pretty much a "must have". Second I have been a fan since I bought "Tooth, Fang, & Claw" on vinyl back in '74.
So I have some "cred" regarding Uncle Ted.

Ok, here we go....
Ted has almost as many, if not more live recordings, than he does studio albums. Yes, he does rely almost exclusively on his "back catalog". Yes, his voice is not what it once was. But at 63 years of age, Ted and his band can wipe most bands 1/3 their age off the stage......literally, figuratively, spiritually and physically. Unlike several past live efforts, Ted has Derek St. Holmes back on board. While Ted has underplayed Derek's importance over the years, fans know how important Derek is to Ted's "classic" sound. Derek's presence is what really makes this recording stand out.
Not much more to write about the songs, since most are considered "oldies"; and are familiar with most listeners. I will say they are delivered with a ferocity, competence and attitude missing from many of Ted's past live efforts. The sound quality is fantastic and the mix is excellent.
I do wish Ted would turn up Derek's guitar in the mix though. Derek is an above average player and letting us hear his guitar would definitely help round out the sound. Ted's playing is pretty much spot on throughout, although in some songs, like "Fred Bear", he lacks a bit of restraint; and attempts to play at a speed a bit outside of his extensive skill set. But I digress and nit pick.

My only beef, or should I say venison, is not so much Ted's political rants, but lack of new material. I find Ted's between song chatter and guitar riffing one of the benefits of his live experience. Ted's rants are entertaining, informative and often hilarious. But, if you are going to rant and rave with such intensity and frequency, use the content for lyrics to new songs! C'mon Uncle Ted! You can do better than one average mid-tempo rocker, repeating the lyrics "I Still Believe" over & over & over & over & over again ad nauseam, almost forcing the listener to hit forward button. Finally, the previously mentioned "Fred Bear". I may be in the minority, but can Ted consider put his "spirit" to rest? Maybe it is just the version on this recording? Ted's playing is way out of control on this recording of "Fred Bear" and not in a good way. But hey, maybe it is just me? If you have any comments, feel free to flame away.

So if you are an Uncle Ted fan, this is a most worthy purchase. Arguably his second best live effort behind "Double Live Gonzo".
So "add to cart" and get ready to crank up those speakers....ear buds will not do this album justice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2013 12:59 PM PST

Sometimes Ya Gotta
Sometimes Ya Gotta
7 used & new from $12.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Bit Country, Lot A Rock N' Roll, October 14, 2013
This review is from: Sometimes Ya Gotta (Audio CD)
Warner Hodges from Jason & The Scorchers and Dan Baird from the Georgia Satellites on guitar....need I say more?
Imagine an alchemy of those two bands with a hot, growling female on lead vocals. Got it? Get it!
'Nuff said.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pagoda, 10-Pound Case
Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pagoda, 10-Pound Case
Offered by FoodserviceDirect Inc.
Price: $52.25
11 used & new from $50.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Got A Bad Batch, Maybe "Seconds"?, March 19, 2013
We usually buy this product from our local Fruitful Yield store. When we saw the price here on Amazon, we decided to get the bulk package. Maybe it was the "batch" we got, but it was more dry, cracked and delicate than what we were used to out of the box. Even with slight under cooking, more pieces crumbled apart than stayed whole. Anyone who has used this product before knows what I am saying. We even compared the uncooked pasta to some from a box we had on the shelf and it was more pale in color and dry/cracked in texture. For the few dollars we saved, was not worth it. I would even to as far to say I suspect second hand stock being sold through Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2013 7:02 AM PDT

Live / If I Weren't So Romantic I'd Shoot You
Live / If I Weren't So Romantic I'd Shoot You
Price: $13.99
44 used & new from $9.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Half & Half, March 19, 2013
Can not argue with the music. My only reason for posting this review is to "warn' potential buyers the sound on the "Live" album is absolutely brutal (for today's "digital age"). Fair sound at best with little if any instrument separation. It sounds as if someone recorded the vinyl album to an old 8-Track then sent it over to BGO for this release. Way below what one would expect based on other BGO releases.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Great & Minimal Shrinkage, March 19, 2013
Great looking and fitting shirt. Have worn, washed and tumble dried on low about four times with minimal if any shrinkage. A bit steep in price for a one color print, but this one is just too plain cool to really have issues over.
If ya want it, just get it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Washings & Now A Size Large., March 19, 2013
This was a really nice shirt for about 2 wears. After washing in cold water twice and only one trip to the delicate dryer cycle, this has now become just about the right size for my teenage daughter. It is not 100% cotton and still shrunk down two sizes due to poor quality. And before anyone jumps on me about the dryer, I have about 100 other T-Shirts (in my "collection")getting the same treatment and only those of extremely poor quality shrink so much. This one shrunk after only one wash even without the dryer. My advice is to avoid or order 4 sizes too big.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20