Profile for "The Woj" > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 475

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"The Woj" RSS Feed (Downers Grove, IL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Symphonized NRG Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic (White)
Offered by Symphonized
Price: $49.99
4 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Cost., August 21, 2014
I had a set of Audio Technica ATH-CKM55 I had been using for about a year or so. To date, they were the best buds I had until my NRG Woodies arrived. I needed an extra set so rolled the dice on the NRGs based on the reviews....I am glad I did. Better clarity, better separation and bass response compared to the AT's which cost about twice as much.
Recommended.

Space Invader
Space Invader
Price: $10.00
37 used & new from $9.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace Frehley Lead Guitar!!!!, August 19, 2014
This review is from: Space Invader (Audio CD)
If the above phrase, first yelped out by Paul Stanley back in the early 70's, is what Ace Frehley means to you, than you need to get your hands on this album. Ace is back! For most artists, the songs are the vehicle and the guitar riffs. licks and solos come along for the ride.
For me, anyway, Ace's music is just the opposite. Ace's guitar is in the driver seat and the rest of the song comes along for the ride. "Space Invader" leads off with 2 killer guitar tracks and rarely lets up on the gas. The songs are all above average with great hooks and melodies reminiscent of Ace's work with Kiss and his first solo album. Ace's vocals? Ace is Ace and I personally like his vocal work, especially the way he pronounces certain words ("Maurice" in the song "The Joker" comes to mine) with his New York monotone.
Lastly the overall sound of the album is interesting. The mix seems a bit muddy and at first it put me back; but after several listens it began to grow on me......kinda like a digital version of "Hotter Than Hell" with Ace's guitar layered and upfront in the mix.
Oh...and after several listens, try to the song "Gimme A Feelin'" out of your head. The song has been stuck in mine for the last 48 hours. It's been awhile since I've been able to say that for any Kiss related music.
All in all Ace's best "post-Kiss" solo work, just a few notches below his 70's classic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2014 10:44 PM PDT

Hush Puppies Men's Gus Oxford,Black Leather,11 M US
Hush Puppies Men's Gus Oxford,Black Leather,11 M US
Price: $76.95
15 used & new from $76.95

5.0 out of 5 stars These Top My Rockport and Nunn Bush!, August 15, 2014
Having fractured my right foot 4 times in my younger day, finding a pair of comfortable, casual work shoes is always an adventure. I have been getting Nunn Bush and Rockport shoes exclusively for the last few years. However, I felt there was a drop in quality, especially the Nunn Bush.
I came across this shoe; and based on the reviews, figured I would roll dice. I just took them out of the box. Wow! I could not be more pleased! They are light, comfortable, supportive and fit perfect. After finishing this review, I am off to buy another pair.
Recommended!

Abra Kadavar
Abra Kadavar
Price: $14.24
43 used & new from $4.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Blend Of Hard Stoner Blues Rock, July 28, 2014
This review is from: Abra Kadavar (Audio CD)
Wow....I came across this band by chance on YouTube and sure glad I did. I started collecting music when I was a wee lad back in 1972; and I am a hard rock, blues, metal head by trade...and this band incorporates all of those genres while stamping their own style on the music.
Imagine if Pentagram went stoner rather than doom. The vocals there are even very reminiscent of Pentagram's Bobby Leibling.
The music itself is straight ahead, well executed "power trio" rock with a stoner twist. My ears hear influences like Black Sabbath (da, who isn't), Pentagram, The Stooges, Budgie, early "pre-Schenker" UFO, Early Jethro Tull and even Dave Perverett era Savoy Brown. As with any rock album, there is plenty of fuzzed, tube soaked, Orange Amp guitar riffing and solos here to keep even the most dedicated Tony Iommi fan smiling. The album is perfectly produced for this band. Almost a refined demo quality. No overproduced, loudness wars, compressed, auto-tune here. The sounds is well mixed with all the instruments leveled perfectly with the vocals. This is the type of music which makes me picture my old Denon Turntable, Marantz Receiver and Cerwin-Vega speakers cranking out all those watts....keeping the roommates awake or just pissing off the neighbors.
Tough to find new bands these days who are original, but can evoke the way back machine into the early 70's hard rock without being mere copycats and sounding cliche.
Kadavar is the real deal. Check it out!

Bloody Hammers
Bloody Hammers
Price: $17.06
2 used & new from $15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Roky & Black Sabbath's Spawn Delivers, July 21, 2014
This review is from: Bloody Hammers (Audio CD)
Clued into this band while doing some random searching and linking for new doom, stoner, metal bands. Talk about feeling lucky! If Roky Erickson was raised on British 70's Heavy Metal instead of 60's Texas Psych, this would most likely be the result. There are no sound clips here, but just head over to YouTube and search for "Bloody Hammers Black Magic"...you'll hear a Roky Erickson type vocal/lyric over a Sabbath "Children Of The Grave" type riff. The entire album has a similar vibe. A heavy, rocking, sludgy offering with just the kind of dark, demonic lyrics you would expect. The singing is clear and often delivered in a spoken manner. The lyrics are intelligible which can be a rarity these days. The overall sound is clear, well mixed and has a heavy tube/analog sound. Per the liner notes, the album is "Produced, Recorded & Performed by Anders Manga". Man, this dude can really do it all and do it extremely well. My only beef, being a guitar guy, is the lack of real killer lead riffs and solos. I keep waiting for the insertion of those Tony Iommi, Wino style lead fills and they never appear. With the addition of some real killer guitar work, this would be a "for sure" 5 star sacrifice.
But I digress.....for any stoner, hard rock, doom, Black Sabbath, or Roky Erickson fan this album will definitely get more than "one spin" before it's shelved or "stored" for awhile.
Check it out!

Faster... Louder: The Dictators Best 1975-2001
Faster... Louder: The Dictators Best 1975-2001
Price: $20.34
32 used & new from $12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The Music Is What Matters..., July 20, 2014
I have been a fan of this band since 1977; and was lucky enough to see them live back in the late 80's. Arguably one of thee top all-time American Rock Bands ever (to those who respect the rock). I have all of The Dictator's albums, so I have all of these songs from those original releases. The music here is some of the best rock, punk rock, rock n' roll music ever recorded, period. If you have never heard of this band and love rock n' roll, the purchase of this album is the place to start.
However, I have no idea of the origin of the songs included here. Are they remastered? From the original tapes? Did any of the band members sanction or have any input into this release? No idea here. From what I remember, the band did not have the rights to the Manifest Destiny album, hence no songs off of it were on the great live album, "Viva Dictators". I own Manifest Destiny on vinyl, but every single digital release aka cd of it sound absolutely awful...so I have no idea what is the deal with the MD tracks here.
Anyway, this is not the most eloquent review, but I felt the need to put the word out there. Get this!
The Dictators can still save Rock And Roll!

Sweet Salvation
Sweet Salvation

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Have Done Their Best...., July 14, 2014
This review is from: Sweet Salvation (Audio CD)
Wow....what a killer album. In the days of overproduce, brick walled, auto-tuned music, it's certainly refreshing to here some real kick @ss rock 'n' roll. With this album the Last Vegas have melded the sound of Guns N' Roses, Classic Aerosmith (when they used to write all their own music) and a decent size dose of Jane's Addiction without the tripping overindulgences. The overall sound is nearly perfect with all the instruments and vocals mixed perfect. As mentioned in a previous review, Cherry's vocals are dead on, and very reminiscent of Perry Farrell at times. Being a guitar guy, the rhythm and lead work here plows, blasts and slices for the entire album. Not a bad decision in the lot. Recommended!

Shutup&Jam!
Shutup&Jam!
Price: $10.00
45 used & new from $7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Ted Best Album Since "Scream Dream"..., July 10, 2014
This review is from: Shutup&Jam! (Audio CD)
Seems someone is out to trash this album by putting out several "one star" reviews. I felt a bit compelled to post my thoughts, although for sake of "ASAP", my usual tedious attention to details and proper grammar may be absent. Cred....bought the first Ted Nugent album on vinyl back in '75. I have purchased every album since and have seen him live at least a half dozen times over the years. Ok?
With Ted, it is always about the sound. They guitar sound. The guitar sound you hear which makes you immediately reply....that's Ted! This album is Ted's signature sound through and through. The band is kick @ss and the overall production is top rate. Very similar in overall sound and production to Ted's last great guitar masterpiece, "Scream Dream". All the instruments are clear and bright with Ted's guitar right up front in the mix...where it should be. "Shutup & Jam!" has a real tube, rather than digitalized/transistor feel. Nugent has never been about introspective, deep and emotional lyrics...so you won't get that here. Ted has exchanged poontang, making pussies purr and salami legs for BBQ's, Firearms and Jammin'. Like I said, the lyrics (at least for me) have always been secondary to Ted's arsenal of guitar licks and riffs. The album rocks, rolls, funks, rhythms and blues's (sic?). My only beef is only one vocal appearance by Derek St. Holmes. Even though Ted's vocals are surprisingly good, I would have liked to hear St. Holmes on a few more tracks. Actually rating would be 4.5 stars, but decided to round it up rather than down. So if ya like old time Ted, this one is a for sure.
****The title track puzzled me at first. I knew the melody and chorus came from a old 60's tune, but it took a few listens before a bulb went on. The band who recorded the song came to me first, then the title of the track itself. If you know it, who originally wrote the song?****

Make My Day: Back To Blues
Make My Day: Back To Blues
Price: $14.63
26 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Eddie's Guitar Overshadows All!, June 29, 2014
Even in the blues guitar "format", Clarke's guitar is instantly recognizable. His solos are smooth, effortless and yes, still "fast" (at times). Most of the tracks are played at your standard blues to up-tempo blues rock pace. The exception is the instrumental, "Ethereal Blue", which could be considered a very, very distant cousin to Peter Green's "Supernatural". The vocals are really the only weak link here, lying somewhere between passable and brutal; however, Eddie's guitar consistently comes to the rescue. The rhythm section is simple and tight laying a perfect back round for Clarke's guitar. The song "Walking Too Slow" is my favorite. It could almost pass for an early Motorhead demo track. The overall sound and mix is great...no loudness wars here whatsoever.
All in all way, way better than I ever expected, hence my need to post this review.

Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Minimalist Running Shoe
Merrell Men's Mix Master 2 Minimalist Running Shoe
Price: $79.41 - $165.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain free!, June 15, 2014
Short and sweet. I am 53 years old. Between the ages of 17 and 26, I broke my right foot 4 times (most likely due to structural issues). Despite this I still continued to run and train; and still do. However, running, walking, treadmill and similar activities have been dropped due to discomfort and pain in my right foot. The Merrell shoe is the first shoe I have purchased in recent memory which has fit like it was custom made for my feet. The comfort level is awesome, yes awesome! I have been able to take up exercises which require my feet to take a bit of a "pounding" ie jogging, treadmill and walking. After I finish this review, I am off to purchase another pair.
What to take from my rant? The shoes fit to size. They do not run narrow. They are worth every cent or cash back bonus dollar.
Rock on Merrell!