Profile for Serkan Okar > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 67

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Serkan Okar "movie and music connoisseur" RSS Feed (Wilmington, Delaware, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
TEA TREE OIL BALM by Chamuel (50g/2oz); 100% All Natural, Chemical Free balm! Apply topically to different areas of the body to moisturize cuticles, chapped lips, heels, elbows, and hands. Rich in Essential Vitamins & Minerals. Great for all skin types! Money-back Guarantee!
Offered by CHAMUEL Products, LLC
Price: $21.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, the best tea tree oil balm, November 14, 2014
I bought this about 3 months ago back in Aug 2014 and I love it. It does magic on my cold sores. It contains many other essential oils (lavender, jojoba, etc.), not just tea tree oil. I am shocked to see that it is currently unavailable as of today Nov 14, 2014. I hope that it will become available again at Amazon. Once you fall in love with a product, it is hard to try another one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2014 7:14 AM PST

Giant [Blu-ray]
Giant [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Elizabeth Taylor
Price: $13.89
24 used & new from $10.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware of the one-disc bluray version, July 29, 2014
This review is from: Giant [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I purchased this item on April 12, 2014 and it was the one-disc Bluray version. On the product info page, one-disc bluray version is not even listed. And only introduction by the director's son, his commentary and another special feature were available (none of the other special features that were listed on the back of the case are on the disc). Now, I wonder whether the 2-disc or 3-disc bluray editions have better picture quality. The movie is a great classic starring Rock Hudson, Elizabet Taylor and James Dean; one would expect Warner Brothers to give it a better treatment

Shogun Assassin (30th Anniversary Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
Shogun Assassin (30th Anniversary Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Tomisaburo Wakayama
Price: $14.39
28 used & new from $10.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Dubbed in English and poor remake of the original, February 27, 2013
I picked this up about a month ago due to high ratings and the low price. I found out that this is actually the abbreviated version made from the scenes from the first 2 original Japanese movie, Lone Wolf & Cub Complete [Blu-ray] which consists of 6 movies.

I have seen comments, by some fans, stating that this movie was made for the English-speaking audience; the comments were defensive arguments against the accusation of this movie being dubbed. I don't agree with those arguments because the scenes in this movie are exactly (I mean exactly) the same scenes from the original Japanese movie. This is not a movie shot from scratch for the English audience. I find this to be a cheap way of making money by editing the scenes from the first 2 original Japenese movie and by dubbing it in English.

Blu-ray quality is not even that good. Ok, so it is much better than the standard version but it is not remastered; there are very visible noise that needs to be cleaned up.

After this movie, I bough the original movie and unfortunately, I wasn't impressed by the original series either due to different reasons. There are a lot of positive comments about the Lone Wolf and Cub. Even though I agree, that the movie brings something new to the genre (a very graphic, violent Samurai picture), I found the story to be very monotonous. I also didn't like the main character, the Lone Wolf, who always had the exact same facial expression all throughout the film, and not just the first film but 6 films (in the original Japenese version).

I do agree that Quentin Tarantino probably had seen the original many times and borrowed ideas for his Kill Bill saga, and nicely paid tribute to this genre.

Das Boot (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
Das Boot (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jürgen Prochnow
Price: $13.59
30 used & new from $7.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Das Boot (Director's Cut) Blu-ray: Technically very well-made film but, February 27, 2013
Das Boot is technically very well-made film. The sound effects, sound editing, sound mixing, and the set design are fantastic. The atmosphere inside the submarine, the way the camera moves through real tight spaces, the camera angles all create a very realistic atmosphere. Unfortunately, I found the film was lacking a strong plot. All the aforementioned effects get tedious after 45 minutes or an hour without a plot. They run into enemy ships that drop bombs on them, they dive deeper, there is suspsense whether the submarine will take the pressure or if the damage is fatal, they divert, send torpedo and this scenario repeats throughout the movie and gets very repetitious.

The Director's cut is 3 hours 28 minutes long. For the reasons, I mentioned above, I think this is way too long. Although there are some changes to the course events towards the middle of the movie, I still think the movie lacks a certain energy to move the plot forward. There is commentary by the director which I find very helpful. There are no other special/bonus features. The only special feature is the director's commentary; there is no behind the scenes, or the making of featurette. There is original German audio in HD-DTS 5.1 which is fantastic. There is also English HD-DTS 5.1 audio (dubbed) but I found it very bad quality; you can hardly hear the dialogues (and the subtitles are not always consistent with the spoken language).

Overall, I think it is technically very-well made picture and definitely recommended to all world war II fans for its realistic depiction of life in a German submarine. What makes this movie special is also the fact that this is told from German perspective (there are not that many world war II movies from German perspective). And I must say the movie does a good job of showing people are just people regardless of which side they are fighting on and they are mostly victims to the circumstances of war.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 2:31 PM PST

The Goonies/ Gremlins/ Gremlins 2: The New Batch (3FE) [Blu-ray]
The Goonies/ Gremlins/ Gremlins 2: The New Batch (3FE) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Sean Astin
Price: $12.49
47 used & new from $5.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Blu-ray Triple Feature - Back to the 80s, February 25, 2013
I must confess that I had not seen The Goonies and I saw it for the first time with this purchase. The Goonies never played in the theaters in my country or aired on TV and I had not come across it on any TV channels in North America. I had heard many things about it.

Overall, I think this is a fantastic item containing all three movies which are considered to be the essential 80s entertainment. The Goonies didn't have the same effect on me as it did on many fans. Seeing it as a grownup is not the same thing as seeing as a teenager; I am sure if I had seen it as a kid, it would have had a much more different impact on me. It would be like reminiscing the childhood memory. Unfortunately, I didn't get that feeling. To me, it was an OK movie. I was never a fan of the Chinese kid (who didn't do much for me in Indiana Jones 2nd movie) ; I also didn't like the cliche jokes about the fat kid (he is always stuffing food in the beginning of the movie), and I also didn't like the way they played the deformed character Sloth; I found that creepy and sad but not funny or amusing in any way. Other than that, there are some really funny lines, memorable scenes which make this movie fun to watch (it was also amusing to see Josh Brolin so young). Watching this with commentary from the director and cast (25th anniversary commentary) was actually more fun for me than watching the movie itself. There were a lot of nice jokes and funny commentaries regarding the making of the movie.

Gremlins is as great as I remembered it, and maybe even better than I remembered it. It is very well-made, great special features, suspense and funny moments are nicely complementing each other and the original score is awesome. I can watch this again and again.

Gremlins 2: Not as great as the Gremlins. This one is more cartoonish than the first movie. But it still has a very nice pace and some new additions to the concept (for instance, the genetic lab in the building allows some newly mutated Gremlins to be produced). I wasn't amused by the seductive female Gremlin creature or by the fact that some Gremlins monsters were talking as if they were human beings.

All three movies come with feature commentaries and making-of featurettes which is a bonus. I recommend this Triple-Feature to all the fans of the 80s.

Superman: The Movie / Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut / Superman Returns [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Christopher Reeve
Price: $12.49
33 used & new from $6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Pack - Blu-ray Triple Feature, February 25, 2013
I guess I was lucky that I purchased this item recently only for $9.99. I was conflicted about getting

Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology, 1978-2006 [Blu-ray] and
Superman Complete Blu-ray Collection (5 Disc Edition) and this item.

After reading many negative reviews from even hard-core fans about the last 3 Superman movies (Superman III, Superman IV and Superman V), I decided to buy this item. I vividly remembered the details about the first two Superman movies as I watched them in my early teens and remembered enjoying them very much so I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed. And the price difference between this triple feature and the aforementioned box sets also played an important factor in my decision.

Amazon has incorrect information in the product details about this product. Actually, this product does contain lots of bonus features, feature commentaries for all three movies available in addition to making of featurettes, behind-the-story featurettes, etc. I am not sure why Amazon product page says No special features.

I had not seen Superman Returns (which I had thought to be a cheap Hollywood remake) and I saw it for the first time. My first impression wasn't great as it seemed my initial concerns were confirmed about it being a cheap remake (too much similarities to the original Superman) but as I watched it a few times, I grew to like it. It's not great but it's ok. I think the first two Superman movies makes this product a great buy (especially, the famous Richard Donner cut, the version of the Superman II as it was intended to be seen).

Diabolique (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
Diabolique (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Simone Signoret
Offered by Boothill Sales
Price: $25.74
28 used & new from $17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Diabolique - the first thriller with surprising twist at the end, February 23, 2013
Diabolique (1955) has a unique place in the history of cinema for being the first movie that pulled a shocking twist at the end. That's even before the Twilight Zone original TV series which is known for the shocking twists at the end of the episodes.

Christina is married to Michel who is a very mean guy and very abusive to Christina. Christina is also friends with Nicole, Michele's ex-mistress. Two women team up and make a diabolique plan to get rid of Michel.

My first criticism is that the obvious love triangle was censored. It is very likely that some sort of ménage à trois is going on which then turns into lesbian relationship between two female characters. In fact, if I am not mistaken, in the actual novel, it is the male and the female character that make a plan to get ride of the other female character, who is evil. Due to censorship, the original source was altered and the love triangle angle is completely removed although it is not hard to guess that there is more to the relationship depicted on the screen.

My other criticism is the lack of musical score. I think a musical score could really have helped with creating suspense.

I disagree with the criticisms about the ending. Yes, the ending is open to interpretation; there is no doubt about that. However, depending on your interpretation, it can all make sense; the movie does not betray its premise.

I recommend this movie to all fans who enjoy foreign cinema and classic movies. The cinematography, acting, and the overall style is pretty artistic and it even sets the stage for Pyscho (1960). You can learn all about the similarities between Psycho and Diabolique in the special featurette, included as Bonus Supplements. For instance, in both movies, the murder takes place in the bathroom and the bathtub places an important role in the murder.

World on a Wire (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
World on a Wire (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Klaus Löwitsch
Offered by Boothill Sales
Price: $25.72
23 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars before the Matrix, there was the World on a Wire, February 23, 2013
Based on the American science fiction novel, Simulacron-3 (1964) by Daniel F. Galouye, World on a Wire is about virtual reality, world created inside a computer program, a pre-cursor to the Matrix. I believe this is the first movie adaptation of Simulacron-3, although there have been many sci-fi movies with similar themes since then. The Thirteenth Floor (1999) is another adaptation of the same novel (oddly, 1999 is also the year for the Matrix and The Dark City, another great sci-fi movie).

World on a Wire was made in 1972 for German TV. It is made of two parts each one is aboout an hour and half long. The movie has a very distinct visual style and atmosphere; the interior shots, camera angles, the locations, actors are very 1970 German.

I like this movie a lot because of its different style but it is probably not for anyone's taste. Even though the subject matter is sci-fi, there are no spectacular special effects or action scenes which are typical of Hollywood productions. However, I think the movie overall does a pretty good job of creating an eerie atmosphere and paranoid feeling of the world not being real.

I was especially amazed by how some of the scenes and ideas seem to be pre-cursor to the Matrix. For instance, the subjects sit in a chair with wires hooked up to their heads and they get downloaded to the computer world (you may think of that as the matrix) and if they want to exit the computer world, they use a phone booth. Sounds familiar?

I also like the love affair depicted in the movie; in my opinion it works so much better than the affair between Neo and Trinity in the matrix.

I recommend this movie for any sci-fi fan who can appreciate foreign movies with unique styles even if they lack CGI and spectacular special effects.

Breathless (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
Breathless (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jean Seberg
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $50.79
21 used & new from $22.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathless Criterion Blu-ray - French New Wave Cinema, February 17, 2013
Breathless (1960) is considered to be one of the most important examples of French new wave cinema. It is the story of Michel Poiccard a young criminal who is on the run from cops and Patricia, a young American girl aspiring journalist living in Paris and working for New York Heral Tribune Newspaper.

Michelle has immature ways and care-free life style. The movie presents him as a likeable character with his eccentric ways and idiosyncrasies, most famous of which is the thing he does with his thumb over his lips. Jean-Paul Belmond truly brings the character to life. Michelle and Patricia's relationship what really makes the movie. There is a famous sequence shot in a real hotel room. The scene is famous due to its natural atmosphere shot without any lighting, and the fact that the hotel room being very crammy. I also find the dialogues between Michele and Patricia very natural. It is a mixture of sexuality, romance and love and future of a relationship - essentials of what happens between every man and woman.

But what makes the movie famous (or unique) is the "jump-cuts"; it is a real different way of editing the scenes. The entire sequence is shot, but the parts that slow down the pace are cut-out which make it look like the scene is cutoff and skips forward to the next scene. This gives the movie a unique atmosphere.

I recommend Breathless to every cinema fan, especially if you are interested in European cinema, French new wave.

Le Cercle Rouge (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
Le Cercle Rouge (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Alain Delon
Offered by Mr Moovie
Price: $99.00
17 used & new from $73.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Le Cercle Rogue Criterion Blu-ray - French Crime Drama, February 17, 2013
Le Cercle Rouge is 1970 French crime drama from famous director, Jean-Pierre Melville. Unlike the typical Hollywood crime/cop movies that are packed with fast action sequences, Le Cercle Rogue has a slow pace with focus on the relationships between characters and their motives.

The story begins with Vogel, a prisoner under the custody of Commissaire (police officer) Mattei, going on a train ride. Corey (Alain Delon) is a prisoner who is recently released from prison. He pays a visit to his boss for whom he did time. Destiny has it that Vogel and Corey's paths cross and they plan to do a jewelry store heist together. They need a third person and they get in touch with Jansen (an ex-con who is dealing with his own demons). One other important character in the story is the bar owner, Rico.

Le Cercle Rouge is a pretty good movie to get taste of French cinema of the 70s and one of the important works of Jean-Pierre Melville. I like the way the movie has minimum dialogues; it's the kind of story that can move along without too much talking. I like that approach as I think dialogues are not always necessary for a story to move forward. Although, I must admit that I like scores that set the atmosphere in scenes and unfortunately, Le Cercle Rouge also has a minimalist approach to score. It uses it quite economically, if at all.

I also think that a female character could add flavor to the story. For instance, Corey's ex-girlfriend, a love interest could somehow be brought into the story and could create a more romantic and even suspenseful atmosphere. A female love interest may sound cliche, but I think this movie could use one.

Another criticism I have is about the ending. I find that the ending is too abrupt. Even though I have watched the movie several times, I am still not sure I fully understand the connection between events and characters. I feel at a loss mostly at the end.

Overall, if you'd like to expose yourself to French cinema, this may be a good one to watch. My other recommendation would be Breathless (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray] 1960 starring Jean-Paul Belmondo also available on Criterion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7