Profile for Armando N. Roman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 814

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Armando N. Roman RSS Feed (Hillsboro, OR)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Super [Blu-ray]
Super [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Rainn Wilson
Price: $14.76
50 used & new from $7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars You see? One person -can- make a difference! *wrench to face*, July 29, 2014
This review is from: Super [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I like comic books, but I've never been into superheroes for some reason. Superhero movies aren't something I'm interested in either, even the ones everyone praises (like The Avengers or Spider-Man 2) don't do anything for me. Oddly enough, it's the more realistic comic book movies that I like, such as A History of Violence. Super has been in my queue for about 2 years now and I finally watched it a few minutes ago. Boy was I surprised! The movie had me from beginning to end, never slowed down, and didn't pull any punches when it came to the action. What initially interested me was that I heard Super was "dark and gritty" but still fun with some good comedy elements. Having finished watching it, I don't think there's anything dark or gritty- it's just a more realistic superhero movie than anything else out there. If you've seen Kick-Ass, Super is a lot like it, only more harsh and in touch with reality. No goofy bazooka scenes here!

Frank is a middle-aged man who wakes up one day to find that his wife has left. The two were happily married for the most part, and there were no signs of the relationship being on the rocks. She had been doing well with her drug and alcohol problem (more or less) and one day, she's just gone. Even her clothes are gone from the closet. Frank figures out that it's a guy who just a few days before, had come over looking for her. A cheery guy named Jaques, who's actually pretty nice…but is the head of a mob. After following him around, Frank sees his wife with Jacques, and she's not in good shape- she's been drugged. After being beaten up by Jacques' men, Frank sets forth to save his wife…to be a super hero. He makes the costume, comes up with the name The Crimson Bolt, and tries to stop a drug deal. Things don't go in his favor, so he starts doing research on other superheroes by reading comic books he's recommended by Libby, a peppy young girl who works at the comic shop. For a guy like Frank, it's going to take a lot to take down a mob boss, let alone infiltrate their base. He'll need some practice with other crimes first.

Where Kick-Ass was fairly realistic, it was still a more upbeat superhero movie with Hit-Girl being practically invincible, single handedly taking out groups of bad guys, while Kick-Ass himself was goofy and learned things the hard way while trying to do the right thing. I'm not saying it was a happy movie by any means, but compared to Super, it may as well be an after-school special. Apart from some less than average work on the police's part to find out who The Crimson Bolt is, I could see this being exactly what would happen if a middle aged dude tried to be a hero. Frank has been passive, allowing things to just happen most of his life, and now finally decides to make a change. He actually goes too far a few times though. One scene has him bashing in someone's forehead with a wrench just for cutting in line at a theater, then going and smacking an innocent woman in the head too. I kept waiting for the scene to cut to him waking up in bed. Nope- he actually did it! Is it wrong to say that, despite this, I was still cheering for the guy? Probably. Frank is a conflicted hero when it comes down to it. He'll go and do something insane like hitting the woman, then later on refuse to do something because he says it's inappropriate.

All of the actors did great, even Ellen Page who I've found annoying in every movie I've seen her in up until this point, aside from Hard Candy. That's probably due to good writers giving her good dialogue instead of trying to come up with lines that they think a young girl would say (Juno, I'm looking' at you). Action scenes were perfectly done, with some pretty gruesome kills using practical effects. And I gotta mention the soundtrack, which had some memorable songs that I'll be getting soon.

I was debating on giving Super five stars instead of four, but two little things bugged me, reducing the score, and if I could, I'd give it 4.5 stars. The movie goes a long time before using Adam West Baman-esque sound effect text, and when it happens, it seems forced or out of place. The movie has its own sense of humor, then a "BLAM!" pops up all of a sudden. Had they done that a couple times more, it'd be fine. But they do it only two or three times, making it weird when it does happen. The other thing is a weird CG tentacle scene that, again, seems out of place, even if I got what they were going for. As it is though, I love Super and recommend it to anyone who's sick of the usual superhero movie. It's funny, has a good plot and cast, and doesn't try to be anything that it isn't.

Ever After High Thronecoming Briar Beauty Doll and Furniture Set
Ever After High Thronecoming Briar Beauty Doll and Furniture Set
Price: $49.99
7 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly well-designed playset for an up and coming line!, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Doll playsets aren't something my daughter's a big fan of, but every now and then there's something she'll see that gets her really excited. Not that long ago it was the Monster High school playset, which she still uses to this day, though I personally wasn't happy with the quality. Lots of wobbling, shoddy construction…it was just a big mess for being priced at one Benjamin. This Ever After High Briar Beauty doll and furniture set is a nice step up from that playset, and coming with a doll is always a big plus.

You really gotta hand it to whoever designed this thing, as having it close to resemble a story book, complete with window for Briar Beauty in the book's spine is a great idea. When you open it up, there's a "page" to divide Briar's dorm room and the dance hall. As if this weren't good enough, the back of the dance hall area is a nice outdoor scene for an extra scenario for the dolls to play in. A big complaint about this playset is that a bit of the material is made up of thin cardboard. I have to agree that it's pretty lame, and it's the main reason I took a star off of the rating. Luckily, there's a decent amount of "real" furniture like the bed, chair and table. Everything looks great and should hold up for a while with regular use.

Briar Beauty is beautiful (go figure) and is an excellent take on Sleeping Beauty. I could write up another review just on the doll alone, but I'll be brief here. She has a nice pink dress, with plastic thorns going around the top that connect to her belt, and a thorn print on the bottom of the dress. Even her shoes have thorns on them! She even has black gloves with a pink ring to add a bit more to the outfit, though the gloves aren't removable. Briar also has pink unicorn rocking horse earrings.

Assembly only took about 15-20 minutes, and we encountered one little problem when putting the stairs together- one of the sides was the same as the other! So…the stairs didn't get built as a result, since you need both pieces, not two of the same side. Hopefully you won't have this issue.

My daughter was very happy when I surprised her with this. I can't see any girl who's a fan of Monster High or Ever After High not liking this set. It may be a bit spends for something with so much cardboard, so I'd wait around until it goes on sale before picking it up. It'd still make for a great birthday present if you don't want to wait.

Ever After High Thronecoming Raven Queen Doll
Ever After High Thronecoming Raven Queen Doll
Price: $24.99
13 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let her near any mirrors., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Now here's a girl who looks like she'd fit right in at Monster High! She is, after all, the daughter of the Evil Queen- it even says so on the box! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) for her, she's attending Ever After High. This is the second doll from the Ever After High series I've gotten for my daughter, and it was actually the #1 doll she wanted. My daughter is a huge Monster High fan, and I can see why she wanted this one so badly now after seeing it in person. This is yet another beautiful doll in the series, helping the line get off to a good start. If these early dolls look this good, I can only imagine how great the variants, if any are made, will turn out.

Raven Queen comes in a stunning black and purple dress that looks like something a singer in a metal opera would wear. It has three layers: the first which covers her body and right hip, a second layer that goes down to the tops of her shoes, and the final layer that coves her feet up. Each layer is different and has a lot of glitter to add a bit of a magic. I really like how the first section of her dress isn't centered, and looks crooked at first, before you realize they went for a more unique look to it. The rest of her outfit is made up of long black earrings, a beautiful jewel in her hair, giant silver bow/collar with a purple brooch, silver bracelets and purple/silver shoes with little spikes on them. Raven's makeup matches the outfit as well, with little purple and silver diamonds around her eyes. It's hard to say anything bad about the doll's design, as she's just plain beautiful. This looks like one of the Drop Dead Gorgeous Monster High dolls where they're made up to look prettier than usual.

Raven has the usual articulation you'd expect from the MH dolls, since this is the same body, and the same one the Ever After High girls now use as well. You can move her head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, upper legs and knees around. I said this in my review of C.A. Cupid the other day, and it rings true here as well- these bodies seem to be a bit sturdier than the Monster High dolls, with less loose joints. Maybe the body is just getting better quality control, but it's a very welcome change. Finally, Ms. Queen comes with a little mask, purse and stand. And just like with C.A. Cupid, I couldn't get Raven to hold the mask up near her face no matter how hard I tried. My daughter doesn't really care, though if your child does, you can always improvise and use the clear bands she comes with around her hands and hair to keep it up.

I don't have any complaints about this doll. The body can keep a pose, the dress is fantastic, she comes with the accessories you'd expect, and the price is about right for something this fancy. This will be an interesting line to watch over the next year or two and see where they go with it. Will it get to be as big as Monster High? I doubt it, but it's a welcome addition.

Logitech Multimedia Speakers Z213 (2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer)
Logitech Multimedia Speakers Z213 (2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer)
Price: $29.99
30 used & new from $29.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Less bass than The Doors, but still good!, July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For those times when you need a little boost for a good price, the Logitech Z213 speakers are here for you. I tried them out with my iMac, which was easy to set up. Sure, there are long cords that can get tangled but it's no hassle. Once things were up and running, I tested out a few tracks on iTunes and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of these "cheap" speakers. They sound a lot better than a few others I've tried in the last couple of months that were twice as much! I also appreciate the small size, making it easy to put them wherever I need to.

The only real cons to speak of are little things, aside from the bass not being as strong as I'd like. You can adjust it via a knob in the back, but it never really seemed to increase by that much no matter how much I turned it up. As others have pointed out, having the knob on the back makes it hard to reach if you have limited desk space, though it all depends on the area -you- put these on.

I'd recommend these speakers for anyone with a computer that needs a small upgrade, but nothing major for gaming or watching movies UNLESS it's in a small room. Watching videos online or editing audio would be the best time for these! They're also great to use with a tablet if you want some fuller audio.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Raphael
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Raphael
Offered by Great Price Fast Service
Price: $14.67
72 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This ain't the wise-crackin' Raph from the early 90s., July 25, 2014
What can be said about the Ninja Turtles at this point? They've returned from the shadows and brought with them a great new kid's show that I personally like even better than the original that most of us are familiar with. Someone who's changed a lot since the old cartoon is Raphael, the tough guy of the group. He was basically the Wolverine of the group in the comics, but when the cartoon came around, he became the wise-guy with a mouth. Let's just say that this new Raph would mop the floor with the old one if they ever met. That's one of the reasons my daughter isn't exactly a fan of his- the dude has no problem smacking some sense into Mikey (her favorite) every now and then.

Everyone knows that Raph's the tough guy of the group, and this figure finally gives him the respect he deserves. He bares his teeth and even has a big cut going down the front of his shell, showing that he's been in some big fights over the years. All of the turtles are sculpted slightly differently from one another, but none of them have a battle scar like this. Raph is about the same size as Leo, shorter than Don but taller than Mikey. This is a really great looking figure, and my second favorite of the group. He just plain looks like he's ready to start knocking heads. Raph is painted nicely too, with a forest green skin color and olive green shell. You can store his weapons in the back of his belt, just like the others, and of course he comes with another little extra weapon set. These include throwing stars, hook swords and even sai with two prongs instead of three. You've got some good display options with this guy!

Articulation-wise, once again, he's the same as his brothers. His head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, upper legs and knees can all be posed. All of the weapons he comes with can be held perfectly too, and he stands up without any problems as well.

I'm really happy with how these new TMNT figures are coming along. Great articulation, great sculpts and paint work, and they're not overpriced like a few other toy lines at the moment. Get them while the first wave of figures is still around before we start getting alternate versions like we did in the early 90s.

Ever After High Thronecoming C.A. Cupid Doll
Ever After High Thronecoming C.A. Cupid Doll
Price: $24.99
40 used & new from $24.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Resurrected and looking better than ever!, July 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like a lot of girls, my daughter adores the Monster High dolls. She's built up quite a class over the last couple of years, and while she's into a lot of other things now, she still gasps whenever she sees a new one that she likes. When she saw the Ever After High dolls, she didn't seem as thrilled, but they've quickly grown on her as new ones came out. C.A. Cupid is the first one she got, partially because she loved the Monster High version so much. Of the two versions, she likes this one better, and I gotta agree- they knocked it out of the park with this design.

C.A. Cupid looks a lot healthier this time around, and sports a gorgeous dress. It looks great in the stock image, but you have to see it in person in order to really see how much went into it. It's hard to believe that they're only charging the regular price for her! The lower portion of the dress has 4 layers to it, with a lot of glitter and sparkles. It stays on via velcro at the back, as usual, and doesn't restrict movement on her legs. This thing must've been a pain for workers in the factory. Up top, Cupid has wing earrings with little hearts attached, a black necklace that her wings are connected to, and two bracelets- one with two pink roses on it. Finally, she has some killer sandal-boot things that I'm sure Cleo from Monster High would love to get a hold of, as they look like they came straight from her wardrobe.

The wings are well-sculpted and I like that they didn't make them plain- they form a heart at the bottom with how they come together, adding an extra nice touch to Cupid's love theme. Hearts are all over the place, from the wings, to the dress and even her makeup. Cupid also comes with a purse, mask and standard Ever After High stand. The purse is pretty simple and goes along with her look perfectly, while the mask is just plain cool. It features two winged horses and a lot of little dots. It can be held in either hand, but getting it to stay up over her face doesn't seem to work out.

You get the standard articulation here- head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, upper legs and knees. What's weird to me is that this doll seems to be more durable than your average Monster High doll. Maybe there's irony there since these are the "alive" counterparts. Anyone who's had a Monster High doll knows that the limbs are pretty skinny most of the times, and can feel like they'll break if you're not too careful. Here with C.A. Cupid, everything is stiff and poses into place perfectly. Maybe they're just doing better with the joints now. It seems to be the exact same body as the average MH doll though!

My daughter is more than happy with this doll, and I was surprised by how great it turned out. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of these girls around very soon. I just hope the Monster High ladies don't treat them as a rival school...

Rose-Gold Flashed Silver Diamond and Morganite Ring (0.1cttw, G-H Color, I2-I3 Clarity), Size 7
Price: $58.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Yukon Cornelius write a song about rose gold?, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
(This is the first time I've reviewed any kind of jewelry that wasn't a watch, so I'm not too sure how to go about this one apart form the obvious things.)

Rose gold is a color I haven't seen much of when it comes to jewelry. I always see yellow gold and white gold, but this looks more like a brass than anything. It's not an ugly color by any means- just not something I'd get someone as a gift unless it was their preference. It looks fine, and with the ring's design, it's all you're going to see for the most part, since it's so small and the diamonds are so tiny. Really, when worn, it looks like a copper ring with a lot of little sparkles on top. The morganite stone is a light pink color that, at times, seems to look a lot like the rose gold of the ring.

I was surprised to see that this ring came shipped in a small Ziploc bag…in a bubble mailer. Keep that in mind if you order this ring. The info above does say that it comes in a "deluxe small box", like most rings would, but that wasn't the case for me or the other reviewers.

Had the price not dropped by 2/3 recently, I would've given the ring 3 stars. But at the current price, it's more than a fair deal. It'd be a nice small gift for someone special, or yourself :p.

Fisher-Price Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Lights and Sounds Trike Ride On
Offered by ToysOnline
Price: $76.58
4 used & new from $76.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Now your little dude or dudette can make pizza runs with you!, July 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I remember having a Big Bird big wheel when I was little. I thought I was the baddest dude when cruising on that thing through the neighborhood. We didn't have many options when it came to trikes and big wheels in the mid-/ate 80s, but you can bet that if this thing had been around back then, that I would've lost my mind. The TMNT tricycle is one of the coolest things you could get any 2-5 year old. It has it all: adjustable seat, lights, sounds, stickers and that stylin' green and blue color scheme.

Putting together the trike can take as little as 25 minutes, and all you'll need is a screwdriver and a hammer. It's surprisingly easy, and when you're assembling everything, you get a good feel for the trike. It's not flimsy or cheap- this thing can definitely last a long time. The key feature on this trike is the adjustable seat. You can move it forward for littler kids, making it ride like a normal trike, or have the seat back like in the stock picture above, making it ride like your standard big wheel. This makes it great for young kids who want to hold onto it as they grow up over a few years since you won't have to buy a new trike when they get taller. The tricycle was tested on various types of terrain and the only thing it didn't do so well on was carpet.

At the current price, you're getting an absolute steal. I was very surprised by how well-built and maneuverable this thing is.

Lifecharge Juicypack 16800 Mah Portable Charger Dual USB External Battery Power Pack for Iphone 5s, 5c, 4, 4s, Ipad Air, Galaxy S5, S4,s3, Note 3, Note 2,nexus 4, HTC One, One 2 (M8), Motorola Droid, Moto X, Smartpohnes, Tablets, Samsung Phones, Lg Phones, Go Pro and Other Usb-charged Devices (Note- Apple Cables Not Included) Output 2.1amp - 365 Days Lifecharge Warranty (Black)
2 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More useful than a pack of Juicy Fruit., July 20, 2014
Sometimes just having a charger cable for your phone or tablet just doesn't cut it. You aren't always near a wall socket or something else that can charge it, and if there's an emergency or you need to get something done, the situation seems hopeless. With a reliable external battery though, you're all set, and that's exactly what the Lifecharge Juicypack is. This is the first external battery I've used, and I've been impressed with how it's performed so far. The only device I've used with it is my Samsung S4 Mini, which went from 8% to 100% in a little over two hours. That's a huge difference from when I charge it through my computer, that's for sure.

I'll be honest and tell you right now that I don't understand what all the numbers associated with this thing stand for. 16800mAh seems to be at the top of its game though. The charger features two USB ports: 1amp and 2.1amp. According to the instructions, one's for tablets and the other's for phones. Between the ports is a micro USB cable port for you to charge the unit itself. Also included on the same side as the ports is a little LED flashlight, activated by pressing the power button twice. It's not that strong, but still has its use like trying to find ports on a computer in a dark area or something.

The LED display on the charger is great, and shows you how much power is left in the unit. This thing takes a while to charge. Right out of the box it was at 68%. I had it charging through a computer for 2 hours and saw that it was at 75%. Fully charging it once it's reached zero is going to take some time.

Size-wise, the Juicypack is great. It's just 12 ounces, and isn't much bigger than the average phone. It's well-built and solid. The only concern I have is that mine was brand new, yet had scuffs all over the metallic border around the LED display. Maybe I just somehow got a refurbished one? It's also worth noting that you'll get over 500 recharge cycles with the unit. It might not sound like -that- much, but it's more than enough since, if you're like most people, you'll be charging your device the regular way. Don't use this just because it's convenient!

All in all, I highly recommend this battery to anyone who's going to be going on a trip somewhere as an emergency backup option, or just to have in your car just in case. It's just a few bucks more than the standard version that doesn't have the display screen, so why not spend the extra money?

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge: "Only a Poor Old Man" (Vol. 12)  (The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library)
Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge: "Only a Poor Old Man" (Vol. 12) (The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library)
by Carl Barks
Price: $22.67
61 used & new from $16.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of it! Three cubic acres of fish!, July 18, 2014
Only in the last couple of years have I started reading Uncle Scrooge comics. Of course I grew up with DuckTales when I was a kid, and dreamed of going on adventures just like Scrooge and his nephews. For some reason, finding Disney comics was difficult, so I never really got a chance to read the original stories that DuckTales was inspired by. A few years ago I read through Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, and absolutely loved it. It became my favorite comic/graphic novel/whatever you want to call it ever. It only made sense to read the stories by Carl Barks as well. He created Scrooge after all!

This hardcover collection compiles a ton of the earliest Uncle Scrooge stories by Carl Barks and includes some fantastic notes at the end, as well as an introduction by George Lucas. Whatever you think of the guy now, post-prequels, he gives a one page introduction that gives an insight as to just how great these stories were when they were first published, and how they still hold up today. He's right. Every story in this book is a keeper, and I know I'll be getting the other collections over time.

The stories contained within are already listed here on the product page, so I'll just go over a few of my favorites. The first story, Only a Poor Old Man, was such a fascinating read and a perfect way to introduce the character if you don't know anything about him. Uncle Scrooge, worried about his money being stolen, decides to hide all of it in a lake. As buffoonish as the Beagle Boys may be, they do something ingenious to recover the money- send in trained Cormorant birds to dive in and scoop it up! Rarely do I laugh out loud when reading or watching something, but here, I was in stitches. Of all the possible ways to recover money from the bottom of a lake, I would've never expected that.

Back to the Klondike introduces a special someone who makes several appearances throughout Don Rosa's stories- Glittering Goldie. Scrooge and his nephews head back to where he struck it big when he was much younger, only to be shot at and get chased off by a bear. We see a very kind side of Scrooge at the story's resolution where he does something incredibly generous while playing it off as a kind of accident.

Somethin' Fishy Here is just a few pages, but a very silly story where Donald tricks Scrooge into thinking that fish has become the new currency.

The Horse-Radish Treasure is one of my top two favorites- Scrooge is on the verge of losing his entire fortune to a man who's related to someone who didn't get a shipment of horse-radish from a relative of Scrooge's a long, long time ago. He still has the contract, and unless Scrooge is able to recover the cargo very soon, he obtains the fortune. This story has Scrooge and his nephews (of course) thrown into a deadly storm at sea, and puts them into one dangerous situation after another when a certain someone gets involved to make sure they don't get the horse-radish.

The Secret of Atlantis was one for the ages too. Scrooge, determined to make just a couple of cents back that Donald won from him, gets rid of every single quarter with a specific year except one that he has. He dumps them all into the ocean, and after losing his own quarter, dives down with Donald to recover a couple. It turns out that they sank deep down to the city of Atlantis, where mer-people take them prisoner, for better or worse.

Also included are a bunch of single page stories that'll at least make you smile. My favorite being one where Scrooge learns ballet and gracefully leaps over people asking for money.

I absolutely love this book. The presentation is top notch, and the inclusion of notes at the end really fills it out, letting you in on some cool info, like panels that were cut out. Can you believe the original story for Back to the Klondike cut out nearly a whole page because the publisher found Scrooge's behavior "unchivalrous"?

This collection is nothing short of a masterpiece, and a must for any fan of the world's richest duck.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20