Profile for Armando N. Roman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1075

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Armando N. Roman RSS Feed (Hillsboro, OR)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Five Star Locker Magnetic Dry-Erase Board + Locker Push Pin Board, 6 x 8 Inches, Red (73543)
Price: $11.56

4.0 out of 5 stars They still have lockers in school?, July 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's on the small side, since it's a locker dry erase board, but the top half has enough room for students to write down important messages or reminders. I got out of high school in 2003, so I don't know if kids these days just put all school-related reminders in their phones to pop up as notifications, but if they use their lockers regularly, this would be a useful thing to have. "Test in history today" or "library books due" or "eat a mint before saying hi to Nikki".

The bottom half of the board has a bunch of circles cut out in it, exposing the foam backing so you can stick the included pins in it. Pin pieces of paper to these as reminders, as shown in the stock image, and you'll be set. Heck, you can pin whatever you want to this thing. Pictures, snacks, you name it. You may want to get your own pins though, since these are on the stubby side. The back of the board has a big magnet on it that lets it stay attached to metal surfaces easily. The marker even has a little eraser to properly wipe off whatever you write on it.

All in all, it's a nice thing to have in your locker. It can be used for other things too, like the refrigerator, and still be useful. I just think they could've gotten rid of two or three rows of the dots for posting notes to give you a little more room to write or draw.

Sentinel Pro FMC120P 12-Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder
Sentinel Pro FMC120P 12-Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shredder worthy to lead the Foot Clan., July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Who doesn't like to shred paper? Whether it's important documents that you printed out from AshleyMadison that you need to get rid of, or a vegan recipe you don't want your TapOut shirt-wearing friends to see, this little shredder is going to get the job done in style.

The big bin that you'll probably be using the most is able to hold a good amount of paper before (5 pounds) you need to empty it. You'll know when it's time, if it's not already obvious, thanks to an indicator that lets you know when it's full. There's even a smaller bin for cds/dvds and credit cards. If only this had been around 10+ years ago when AOL was sending out free trial discs by the hour. This section takes out discs and cards like they're going out of style (well, discs already are). If you get too shred-happy, there's an overheating indicator to let you know that it's time to take a break and wait a bit before going nuts again. In addition to these, the shredder also has reverse mode and can cross cut. Unless you have an identity thief with a lot of time on his hands snooping around your trash, there's nothing to worry about when you throw away the paper.

One of the most important features for some will be that the shredder is pretty quiet. I still remember shredders in the early 90s that had the most unpleasant screeching sound, like a robot that just read the Necronomicon. If you have a sleeping baby in the same room, it's unlikely that this is gonna wake them up.

Amazon still hasn't put up a price for this, but Sentinel Pro's other shredders are on the spendy side. With what this can all do, I'd say it's worth it.

Candy Land Disney Princess Edition Game Board Game
Candy Land Disney Princess Edition Game Board Game
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You gotta admit, Rapunzel's smile IS a bit off., July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Candy Land is one of the only board games I had when I was a kid, and I loved playing it. Our elementary school library even had it, along with some other board games, and this was one of my favorites even with the others available. It's simple, fun for two or more players, and you can get the rules down without going through pages of instructions. Pick a character, draw a card from the deck, and move to whatever colored square you get. If you get two squares, you move two spaces of that color. Make it to the castle at the end and you win! Along the path there are several traps that either cause you to lose a turn, or go back to another part of the map. You can also luck out and draw a special character card and jump to another spot on the map, going from the beginning to near the end if you get a good one. But that can also backfire and send you back to a space near the beginning when you're already almost to the castle!

I got the game again a few years ago to play with my daughter and she loved it just as much as I did. When I showed her this new Disney Princess version, I asked her if she was interested, although I had my doubts since she's always been into the villains and isn't a big fan of the Princesses brand. She was only interested because she thought the way they drew Rapunzel's face on the box was funny, so I went with it. As expected, this version of Candy Land plays exactly like any other. You have Cinderella, Rapunzel and Ariel as the game pieces, the board which has a Disney theme, and a deck of cards. If you've played Candy Land before, you'll get into this one without any setbacks. The only difference I noticed is that there weren't any "lose a turn" spaces. I guess they wanted to keep this one as positive as possible.

The only slightly negative thing to point out is that there are only three character pieces. Previous versions of the game I've owned had four pieces, letting four people play. At the same time, it's not -that- big of a deal because with the old version of the game, my daughter and I would just use small toys instead of the gingerbread men. Sometimes we'd use Gizmo and Stripe from Gremlins, other times we'd use Littlest Pet Shop pets. Chances are if your child is a fan of Disney Princesses, they'll have a few small toys they can use as an extra or alternate game piece.

This is still a nice take on the classic, though I think they could've done a little more with it. At the current price, it's not a bad deal and is always a hit with young kids. Hopefully they do another one with the Disney Villains, or different Princesses. Even if some aren't technically "princesses", let's see Mulan, Esmeralda, Pocahontas and others!

Fisher-Price Imaginext Power Rangers Morphing Megazord Toy
Fisher-Price Imaginext Power Rangers Morphing Megazord Toy
Price: $59.99
9 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars When do we get a little King Sphinx for it to fight?, July 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I seem to say it every couple of months, but it's true most of the time- the cool stuff always comes out when I'm an adult! I remember having the original Megazord when it came out in the mid-90s and being slightly disappointed by how small it was. This one may be aimed at younger kids, but it dwarfs that sucker big time. If you have a little Power Ranger fan in your life, this is sure to be a big hit with them. Heck, it'll probably even surprise fans that are in their 30s or 40s now. I wasn't expecting it to be this big when it arrived, and it didn't disappoint in the fun category either.

The Megazord has some articulation to it. You can move the head, shoulders, elbows, waist and legs. The eyes light up when you move the head around too. It also has all kinds of things it can do when you place a Ranger on the red discs located on the body. When you put the Ranger in the slot, you can swivel them side to side and activate one of the features. The saber tooth tiger leg can open its mouth and store figures, the triceratops one shoots missiles that actually goes about 3 feet, and the pterodactyl chest opens up to reveal another area to put a Ranger on. The chest also shoots two missiles, and if you put a Ranger in the appropriate spot, the Power Coins will shoot out. Opening the chest also causes the Megazord's eyes to light up. The entire backside of the Megazord is "open". You can put Rangers in the head and in the little command area which just happens to be the Megazord's caboose. They even included a picture of Zordon in here! Finally, the back of the triceratops leg features an elevator that you can move up to the command area, and the saber tooth tiger leg can be used as a prison since it has a cage door.

Also included in the box are 7 projectiles and 6 Power Coins (the five original Rangers' coins plus the Green Ranger's). Both the Red and Black Ranger have articulated arms and legs that can move around, but they don't have the Green Ranger's shield/armor as advertised. You can see this in the stock image above, so it must be an old prototype shot, or they forgot to include it with the first wave of these.

Overall this thing is insane for the price. You get a huge Megazord, two Rangers, and it serves as a playset in addition to being a giant robot that can fight off Rita's minions. It'd be nice if they included the other Rangers just to make it more complete, and the sword too. Still, I can't hold that against it because of how huge it is.

Zensah Camo Compression Leg Sleeves - Running Leg Sleeves - Shin Splints - Leg Sleeves for Basketball, Running, Jogging, Working Out, Tennis, Travel - Reduce Leg Cramping
Price: $35.30
7 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Disguise half of your legs from enemies while you make your move., July 22, 2015
When I first saw people wearing compression sleeves, be it on their arms or legs, I thought it was dumb. Like, why don’t you just wear a long sleeve shirt or get compression pants? Well, after trying out compression pants and realizing that they don’t leave much to the imagination in a specific area, I can understand now. Get a good pair of shorts, slip these guys on and you’ll be enjoying a more comfortable experience than if you didn’t have them on. I don’t know how to put it other than that my legs just plain feel better while wearing these when I run. It’s not all in my head either, as I always go into things like this with a neutral mindset, not expecting any benefit and not doubting it either.

If you can’t see the sizing chart, it’s as follows:

XS/S: Calf Size: 9.5" - 12.5" Height: 5'3" and below
S/M: Calf Size: 12.5" - 15" Height: 5'4" - 5'10"
L/XL: Calf Size: 15" and up Height: 5'11" and up

I’m 5’11” but I have a small build (155lbs), so I thought I would need an S/M size. The manufacturer suggested I go with L/XL. I’m glad they made that recommendation, as these things fit my legs perfectly. They’re snug but not nun-tight. The sleeves go from just below my knee to about where the instep on my foot starts. Getting them on was easy, and they stay put without bunching up or coming down. I’ve worn these while running and while practicing kicks and knee attacks. They felt great and didn’t irritate my skin or anything. I tried them on before shaving my legs and they felt good, but things were better after shaving.

These are a great thing to have for running or any other sports you do. They’ll be a great help in the fall and winter when it gets much colder, and since I do most of my running in the early morning. I got them in the snow color and it looks awesome, though I wouldn’t mind rocking the electric purple or magenta.

Machine wash cold, hang dry and they should last you a long time as long as you take care of them.

Playskool Heroes Star Wars Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon and Figures
Playskool Heroes Star Wars Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon and Figures
Price: $39.88
3 used & new from $39.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Woah, there aren't any green screens inside this thing!, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Millennium Falcon is way bigger than I expected, with plenty of room for the Galactic Heroes figures. Everything is sturdy and safe for kids to play with- there are no hazards to worry about here! It opens up in clam shell fashion and even features a handle for kids to make it "fly". I was surprised by some features like the secret compartment, which R2 can fit in. Even in this scale, the Falcon is pretty faithful to what we saw in the movies. The turret, chess board, seating area and cockpit are converted into tiny form nicely.

My favorite part has gotta be the Chewbacca figure. He looks so weird and the face makes me laugh whenever I look at it. He looks like a melting chocolate monster or something. Han and R2 look good in this form too, and way better than they did in their original Galactic Heroes forms. They have limited articulation but any kid will enjoy playing with them in this playset.

Some may complain about the stickers that need to be put on, but I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe they're the same people who claim George Lucas "ruined" their childhood? For how much this thing costs, I think it's worth it, especially considering how much "normal" Star Wars toys go for.

SOL REPUBLIC SHADOW WIRELESS In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and 3-Button Remote - Steel Black 1140-01
Price: $99.99
8 used & new from $77.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sol Badguy wouldn't be mad at these., July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The sound quality of these headphones is ridiculous. I have some studio quality Koss headphones that go over your ears, and these are like 99% comparable to them. From spoken word to instrumental to pure vocals, everything you listen to is going to sound awesome and how it was intended to be heard. No fuzz anywhere. So when it comes to the audio, there's nothing to worry about here. You can be about 35-40 feet away from the device you have them synced up to and the sound will rarely drop. The on/off switch and volume controls are super easy to locate- you'll take one look at this thing out of the box and have it down immediately.

What makes these a winner in my book though, is how they stay in while moving. I can wear these while running, be it on regular ground or when doing laps up stairs and they don't budge. I've owned a lot of in-ear headphones over the last two years, and none of them stayed in my ears like these do.

The only things keeping them from being 5 stars are pretty small points. One being that the instruction manual is nearly useless, with black text on a dark grey background. This is like some kind of sick joke you'd play on someone on their first day at work or something. The other being that this is a pretty high price for what you're getting. Sure, the audio quality and convenience is there, but still...I'm surprised Amazon doesn't have their own sale price for these. When/if that happens, you can go ahead and add a star to make these a solid 5.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (English Subtitled)
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (English Subtitled)
DVD
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl should team up with Marjane from Persepolis for a buddy-road trip movie., July 17, 2015
I love being surprised when I watch a movie. One of my best friends mentioned A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night not that long ago, and for her to mention a movie even as much as she did, I knew it was worth seeing. I appreciated that she didn’t say much at all about the film’s plot or anything, so I went into this one without knowing much aside from a very vague plot synopsis when I was looking up the soundtrack. Not even halfway through the movie, I was in love with it. This is one of those movies where everything is so perfectly executed, from the lighting to the soundtrack to how characters react to things, that many other directors could learn a thing or two from it.

Arash is a young man in Iran with an awesome older car. Unfortunately for him, his father is a junkie and owes a seedy dealer/pimp, Saeed, a lot of money. Saeed takes the car while Arash’s father continues to become worse with his addiction. One night in the car, with one of his prostitutes, Saeed notices that he’s being watched by a woman in the distance. When he gets out to investigate, she’s nowhere to be seen. Not long after, he encounters the girl while walking home at night, and without saying a word, she goes home with him. I guess his parents never taught him about strangers.

That’s as much as I’ll say about the plot because it really is best to leave this one a surprise. On top of that, while the movie does move along at a fast pace, there are really only a couple of things that happen and I don’t want to ruin any of them. When a big reveal happens for one of the characters, I was legitimately excited about it. It didn’t feel forced or come out of nowhere, and was tastefully done. The movie could’ve went in an entirely new direction when this happened, and I’m glad they did it this way. Director Ana Lily Amirpour does a wonderful job of keeping the pace steady while keeping you interested in what’s going to happen, even when nothing’s really happening. There’s one scene where Saeed is at a party with a beautiful girl he has a big crush on, and he even showed some class earlier by asking if it was appropriate for him to be in her room with her while her parents were away, just to fix her tv. Now he’s giving her ecstasy and trying to get a kiss out of her. She resists, and the look of devastation/rejection on his face says it all, even minutes after when he’s left with his drug-induced thoughts and loneliness.

While there are just a handful of actors here, all of them are great. I especially liked Mozhan Marno as Atti, an “old” prostitute (she’s only 30!) and of course Sheila Vand as The Girl. Sheila is able to get so much across with a piercing stare and without saying a word. She’s able to do this not just during intense scenes she’s involved in where something’s about to go down, but also in this very romantic scenes where the exceptional soundtrack does most of the talking. I also have to mention the gore, because just like everything else, it’s tastefully done. I was thinking about this earlier- does it even mean anything when you see someone get their heart ripped out in a movie any more? Like, how does someone just reach into someone’s chest so effortlessly, through the ribcage, and pull it out? It’s boring and overdone at this point. What little gore there is in A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, is perfectly done and never becomes boring or goes too far.

If I could, I’d give it 4.5 stars instead of “just” 4. What held it back for me was the semi-predictable ending and I would’ve liked a certain thing addressed more regarding one of the characters. We get the “rules” for this kind of thing all the time in movies and books, and while I didn’t want or expect them to do so here, I couldn’t help but wonder what the heck was going to happen with the character during certain conditions. As for the ending, it isn’t bad, but during the last 10 minutes, I started to think to myself “…this is going to be it, isn’t it?” and I was right. Again, it’s not bad or a sudden ending like say, the last episode of The Sopranos. In fact, I guess it fits the mood and style of the film perfectly. I just wanted more.

And that sums up my feelings perfectly for A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night- I want more! Ana Lily Amirpour made one heck of a movie here, and I’m definitely going to check out her other films. I hope nothing but the best for her and the actors. It may not be the #1 best movie I’ve seen this year so far, but it’s my favorite.

Smith & Wesson 38481 Airweight Safety Glasses, Smoke Lenses Anti-Fog with Aluminum Frame
Price: $19.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for up-and-coming assassins., July 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Safety glasses always look dumb, but Smith & Wesson gives them the VIP treatment here. Not only are these safety glasses lightweight while still being sturdy, the way the lenses are done makes it so light doesn't cut in from the sides and mess with your peripheral vision. The lenses are very dark and take care of glare on even the brightest days. You can wear these like regular sunglasses and be comfortable for hours.

I really liked that the lenses have the whole anti-scratch and anti-fog thing going on. As someone who's worn glasses since 1994, I can tell you that getting even the tiniest scratch in the right/wrong spot will make things miserable for you. Even though these are relatively cheap safety glasses, this feature alone makes them worth getting. Just keep in mind that this doesn't mean they're scratch-proof. Take care of them when they're not being used.

As others have pointed out, the nose pad stems do seem a little long. Not by a lot, but enough to where it's noticeable. You can adjust them to your liking. After enough time, they'll feel ok.

Disney Big Hero 6 Baymax 10 1/2" Plush [White Version]
Disney Big Hero 6 Baymax 10 1/2" Plush [White Version]
Offered by Carl's Tree House
Price: $11.75
50 used & new from $8.77

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hairy baby!", July 14, 2015
My youngest daughter is almost 2 and -LOVES- Baymax. Whenever she spots a Big Hero 6 toy in the store, she immediately points and smiles. It was hard to track down, but the first thing I got her was this stuffed regular Baymax. I say it was hard to track down because many of the ones you’re seeing on here and elsewhere are bootlegs. Pay close attention to where Baymax is being shipped from, and you’ll understand what I mean. The Disney Store puts out good, quality stuffed characters, and this Baymax is no exception. He looks just like he does in the stock image and is super cuddly, perfect for toddlers!

Baymax makes the transition to plush form perfectly here. It’s hard to mess up some basic shapes and only three colors. You can move his arms up and down, and his little legs can move a bit too. They stuffed him just right; I’ve yet to see a flat or over-stuffed Baymax anywhere. He’s pretty much perfect and sure to make any Baymax fan happy. I gotta admit, I want one now after seeing how cute he is. The only thing to watch out for is when he gets dirty. It says on the tag to do a regular surface watch, but I’ve thrown him in the washing machine after putting him in a pillow case and tying it off. Baymax came out just fine and his stuffing was unaffected. No lopsidedness or anything! Still, it would be best to take care of the heavy duty stains with laundry detergent and cold water on a wash cloth.

Don’t hesitate, and buy this little guy before he’s gone for good. Disney Store plushes come and go at weird times. Sometimes a popular character is around for a while, and other times they’re gone before you know it. So don’t risk losing your own little personal healthcare assistant!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20