Profile for Armando N. Roman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1028

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Armando N. Roman RSS Feed (Hillsboro, OR)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elefun & Friends Crocodile Dentist Game
Elefun & Friends Crocodile Dentist Game
Price: $13.88
11 used & new from $13.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Imagine how much that would hurt if a dentist pressed your teeth down into your gums., May 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Crocodile Dentist was one of my favorite games as a kid. I still remember being sold as soon as I saw the commercial, and being slightly disappointed when I got it, discovering that most people got a smaller version with teeth that you push down instead of pull out. Apparently, that larger version with removable teeth is hard to find, or just wasn’t working out, so Hasbro stuck with this version. That small gripe aside, it’s still not a bad game! Crocodile Dentist is one of those games that has some sense of urgency or panic to it, where you really don’t want to be the one to get the wrong tooth. The only other game I can think of like this is the original, big version of Perfection, where I was terrified as a little kid to hear the timer wind down as I frantically tried to get all the pieces into the slots before time ran out.

If you haven’t played Crocodile Dentist before, it’s easy! Open the croc’s mouth and start pushing teeth! You play the role of the dentist and pushing a tooth down is a different way of removing them. When you get the bad tooth, the crocodile bites you and it’s game over. You can tell which tooth is bad as you’re pushing it because you feel a little resistance. When the croc chomps down on your finger, it doesn’t hurt- it’s just more surprising than anything for kids when they play.

This version is a lot bigger than the smaller travel version that you usually see in stores. When I took the crocodile out of the box, I actually said “oh wow” out loud. That being said, the game is still very basic and unless you have a bunch of kids taking turns, it will get old quickly. The age recommendation of 4 and up is about right, though there’s no reason kids 2 or 3 years old can’t play this. The bite doesn’t hurt, there are no small pieces that come out, and the crocodile is well-made.

At the moment, the price for this game is very fair considering the size. If you pay retail or a few bucks less than retail, you can knock it down to 3 stars.

Viva Labs Organic Quinoa, Whole Grain, Non-GMO, 1lb Bag
Viva Labs Organic Quinoa, Whole Grain, Non-GMO, 1lb Bag
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $21.95
4 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone send this stuff to The Bronco, immediately!, May 20, 2015
Quinoa is a new thing for me. For a couple of months, I’d been hearing a lot about it from a few people who mention that it’s their go-to grain. Usually mine is either plain oatmeal or brown rice, and despite those being “boring”, I’m more than content having them on a regular basis. But I decided to try quinoa out, and went with this kind by Viva Labs.

From the first bite, I was hooked. It’s hard to describe the taste if you’ve never had it, and saying that it tastes like how it smells doesn’t make a lot of sense now that I think about it. But this quinoa is so good, I took out the whole one pound bag in three days. I may just end up doing away with brown rice at this rate, because the texture, flavor and smell of this stuff is incredible. My daughter loved it too, and she’s almost as picky as I am when it comes to new foods.

Boil two cups of water, add one cup of quinoa, turn the stove down to a low setting and cover the pot. Let it sit there for about 15 minutes, then take it off the stove, remove the lid and fluff it with a spoon or fork. Let it cool down for a minute and you’re good to go. This is how I made it and there was definitely a great taste. Others suggest toasting it before making it. I’ll have to try that out next time.

There will definitely be a next time!

The price does seem a bit steep, but it’s not as bad as a lot of other healthy foods that sport the ‘Gluten-Free’ or ‘Organic’ text. As of this moment, a 4 pound bag is just barely twice the cost of a 1 pound bag, so why not go for it? Very rarely do I rave about something like this, especially food. If there was even a minor issue here, I’d mention it, but there’s not. Trust me on this and order a bag.

A Day with an Extraterrestrial
A Day with an Extraterrestrial
by Lou F. Baldin
Price: $17.96
21 used & new from $11.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Way better than flying on your bike., May 18, 2015
I’ve known about Lou Baldin for a long time now, ever since John Lear first mentioned him in an interview from a while back. I never did get around to reading all of his threads at ATS (with all the ads, can you blame me?), but the information I’d gotten sounded very interesting and I wanted to learn more. This was the book I’d heard the most about and I figured it’d be the best way to start learning more. It was a good choice, as A Day with an Extraterrestrial is written in a way that slowly starts to reveal things without giving you too much to take. I wish that I had read this before I started listening to John’s interviews and lectures, that’s for sure!

There’s a good chance that if you’re looking at this page, you’re already pretty familiar with the subject matter. A Day with an Extraterrestrial is written like a fiction, but is supposed to be Lou’s actual experience when he is abducted, and it’s up to the reader if they want to believe any of it. I personally don’t see why you should think anything in this book is preposterous, given how many other belief systems are out there, and if they just recently popped up into existence, you could just as easily say the same thing about them. Here, a man named Michael is talking a walk in the park when a strange man begins to follow him, and before he knows it, he’s on board a UFO. The strange man is named Milton, and he can take on many appearances, from his human form, to a more standard big headed alien form, to a ball of light or his soul. The reason why Michael is chosen isn’t revealed until much later, but until then, he gets to experience something incredible. He travels to different planets, moons, star systems and is shown events in his life that he doesn’t remember happening.

There are a lot of different subjects covered here, although some of them are pretty brief and I was hoping for more. Maybe I’ll find out in the next book of Lou’s that I read? How some UFOs work on the inside, why so many abductees are undergoing various kinds of probes or surgeries, reincarnation and past life experiences…there’s a lot to take in. There are a couple of touching moments as well, especially towards the end that caught me off guard so much that I had to take a break from reading it for a few days before I went back. I’d like to talk about some of the subjects, but it’s best for anyone interested to go into it not knowing a whole lot. I wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise!

I will say that if you’ve read the Bhagavad Gita, there’s one big point that comes up regarding reincarnation that will be very familiar.

There’s only one reason I’m not giving it 5 stars, while it -is- a 5 star story. There are a lot of typos in this book. The incorrect spelling of a word like “hear” instead of “here” happens very frequently, and when characters are talking, they’re not really having conversations, it’s just a block of information or expression, then the next person takes a turn. It was hard to tell if someone was talking plainly like an emotionless android, or if they had much enthusiasm most of the time because of this. It’s like the old movies from the 50s when someone would go on a mini rant, like they’re talking to themselves, while everyone waits around for them to finish. Also, the paper quality for the cover isn’t that great. Within a few days of reading, the side of the cover next to the spine started to chip away, despite being kept in a safe spot and me not being rough with it.

Even then, I highly recommend this book to anyone who still hasn’t gotten to it yet. I can’t wait to read Lou’s newest book, which is supposed to be the big one. John Lear’s even said that you need to really brace yourself for it, even if you think you’re ready with how much of all this you’ve heard. Maybe I’ll read the other books before that one then…

Bic Soleil Bella 4 Blade Disposable Razor for Women 3 Count
Bic Soleil Bella 4 Blade Disposable Razor for Women 3 Count
Offered by Goodies Abound
Price: $10.00
23 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars When are they gonna get Soleil Moon Frye to endorse these?, May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I say it every time when I review a "women's" razor- women get better razors than men do.

I always see people comment that women have to pay more for razors than men do when they're the "same", but it's not true.

I've used tons of different razors since 1995. From standard single blades to the Mach 3 to the many other 3, 4 and 5 blades that came out soon after. And you know what's been my favorite for the most part when it comes to shaving my face and other parts of my body? Bic's Soleil line. The triple bladed Soleil razors have been my favorites for the past 6 years or so for general shaving. I use a different razor for my head since that's bound to dull blades fast, but for everything else, I stick with Soleil. When I saw this new (to me anyway) 4 blade razor, I was pretty excited to try it out.

The bottom line is that it's just as great as the 3 blade. The weight is completely balanced. The handle and razor section don't feel flimsy, and rinsing out hairs from the front and back of the blades is simple. Because this is a 4 blade razor, the blade section is a bit bigger than previous models, so it may be a little bulky for some areas on your body. Even then, it gets the job done. I recommend this for anyone who hasn't tried a razor with this many blades before. My skin feels great after shaving and I can practically feel the air going into my body when I'm done.

Everything's good here. I don't have any complaints. The razors stay sharp for a long time, it doesn't break when you drop it in the shower, it feels fine to shave without any cream or soap, and the price isn't too bad.

Just keep in mind that there are several great options for razors online where you can get them sent to you monthly for bi-monthly. That's what I do for the razors I use on my head and I'm extremely happy with them. If that's not your thing though, this is a great option.

World of Nintendo, Samus [Metroid] Action Figure, 4 Inches
World of Nintendo, Samus [Metroid] Action Figure, 4 Inches
Offered by Reed Trading
Price: $18.99
37 used & new from $12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars This figure alone is better than Other M!, May 15, 2015
Samus stands at about 4 inches tall and rocks her Varia Suit, giving you the most well-known appearance of the character. I have zero complaints about the sculpt. One glance at this toy and you’ll recognize who it is right away! She has a surprising amount of articulation too: head, shoulders, biceps, elbows, torso, hips, knees and ankles. 14 points of articulation on this little figure! You can get her in some great poses, with my favorite being her down on one knee, left hand rested on top of her arm cannon. It looks awesome. Overall the figure feels durable, though not any better than similar toys. Be careful with the joints and it should last a long time.

The figure doesn’t have any action features or sounds or parts that light up. She does come with a “secret” accessory. When I saw this on the box, I had a good guess as to what it was, and sure enough, I was right. It’s the Morph Ball. They did a good job on the sculpt, making it look like how it does in Metroid Prime. It’s a nice little accessory to have around, and great for kids to play with so Samus can actually do her ball-thing instead of being stuck in some odd pose to try and emulate that.

And finally, don’t forget that this is a TOY. It is not meant to be just for adult collectors who want tons of articulation and for it to be 100% accurate to the game. This is a standard action figure that you’ll find in most stores next to the Star Wars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures. They could have easily doubled the retail price (like most sellers seem to be ding) because of the lack of Metroid goods, but they didn’t. Samus costs just as much as the other standard World of Nintendo toys and that’s a great deal. You’re getting a great representation of the legend herself, with some good articulation for a very low price. I got her for my daughter for the MSRP and I feel that was a bargain. Had these toys been a few bucks more, I would’ve taken off a star.

It’s funny how I saw this in the store -the day after- I beat Super Metroid with my daughter. I’m showing her a lot of the games I played when I was younger, and she instantly fell in love with Samus and the planet Zebes. We were both excited to see a little Samus on the shelf, and didn’t hesitate to buy her soon after. I highly recommend buying this figure as soon as you can before she becomes hard to find. Apparently there are only two per case, although the couple of times I went down the toy aisle, there were a good 6-8 Samus figures on the shelves along with the others in the line.

Viva Labs #1 Premium Himalayan Organic Goji Berries, Noticeably Larger and Juicier, 1lb bag
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $25.95
8 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Tell Bullwinkle to take his Mooseberries and get outta town. These are the real deal., May 13, 2015
Goji berries are a new thing for me- I never even heard of them until I got these! When they arrived, I took a look at them and figured they’d be like raisins but with way more nutrients. After the first handful, I was in love. These things are delicious! The taste is very tart without being sweet, and the texture is similar to other dried fruits. They almost have a jerky-like texture; they’re chewy but not so much that you’re sitting there like a horse chewing on them over and over before you go on to the next batch.

One bag contains 16 servings. There are only 8g of sugar per serving, and you get 140% of your vitamin A! These berries are as healthy as you can get if you read the product info here. They’re listed as organic, non-GMO and gluten free too.

I highly recommend trying these out if you’re even a tiny bit interested. The price may sting, but with how well these go with oatmeal or even just on their own, I think it’s justified.

Waggin' Train Chicken Jerky Curls Dog Treats, 8-Ounce Pouch, Pack of 1
Waggin' Train Chicken Jerky Curls Dog Treats, 8-Ounce Pouch, Pack of 1
Price: $19.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Liberty Prime would not be happy with these., May 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, there I was about to just go and do a review like I normally do, but for whatever reason, I decided to check the product page for these treats first. Then I see negative review after negative review regarding these being made in China, and the big problem with dog treats from China.

I didn't give the whole bag to my brother's dog, but I did give him a couple, and he -loved- these. I tossed a treat at him, he caught it, downed it, and made the little gesture like he was going to move in for more but held back. I gotta admit, these things smell really good and if you put them in a bowl with the packaging out of sight, I'd probably give them a shot.

BUT...after reading about the big issue here, I'm not going to be giving him any more of these. Not unless there's some confirmation that they're 100% safe in the next week or two. I'm not going to tell you to buy these and risk your dog's health because dogs love them. Hold off just to be safe.

Zak! Designs 3-Piece Tubby Insulated Ice Cream Container with Chilly Scoop and Water Basin, Kiwi
Price: $32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "Tubby Insulated"? #tubbyshaming, May 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you make your own ice cream, then this little tub is going to be a great thing to have around for when you keep it in the freezer, or want to bring some along on a quick trip. It holds one pint of ice cream and can fit a container of Ben & Jerry's no problem. The lid and tub are insulated, and when I tested it out, the ice cream was still very cold after an hour. Anything more than that might be pushing it but I wouldn't be too worried. The freeze gel top on the lid really surprised me, and is a big plus. They really thought this thing out, although I guess you either do a good job or a bad job when it comes to ice cream storage container design. The bright kiwi color helps make it stand out in your freezer too.

I should also mention that this is dishwasher safe, so you're good to go with throwing it in there if washing it by hand isn't your thing.

There are only a few negatives that keep it back from being 5 stars. The main one being the thin lip on the lid. Look, I'm patient and have no problem finding the perfect spot on a lid when screwing it on, no matter how wacky it can get, but I can see this one giving people trouble. There were a few times when I thought I had it, only to spin the lid around and not have it go down at all. When you get this, there's a good chance the lid is going to be on very tight. Like, as tight as a nun. So just be patient and keep at it. Like a few others on here, I also feel that the scoop is a little big for the tub. I'll be keeping a small spoon when I take this on trips just to make sure I get every last bite of ice cream.

iGearPro Voice Activated Audio Recorder - Premium Digital Voice Recorder  - Multifunctional Portable Rechargeable Dictaphone MP3 Player (8GB)
iGearPro Voice Activated Audio Recorder - Premium Digital Voice Recorder - Multifunctional Portable Rechargeable Dictaphone MP3 Player (8GB)
Offered by Everymarket
Price: $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A great, handy voice recorder. But if you already have the right app on your phone, stick with that., May 8, 2015
I’ve been wanting to give a voice recorder a shot lately, mostly to have a recorder on the go for when I come up with new material, or if I’m having a good conversation with someone that we could record and put up somewhere. With my plans for starting a podcast constantly getting pushed back, I felt that smaller recordings might be the way to go for now. iGearPro just happened to contact me recently about trying out their voice recorder, so of course I jumped at the opportunity. The bottom line is that this is a pretty decent little recorder, but if you have a good app on your phone or even iPod, you may as well stick with that.

iGearPro’s recorder is very small and slim. It can easily fit in any pocket, even the little credit card one on most jeans. You slide the power to on, let it take a second to get ready, and then you’re all set to start recording. Press the red recording button and talk away. When you’re done, press it again and the recording will stop and save. This little device holds 8 gigs of audio, which is pretty impressive for the price. You can easily play and skip between tracks, It’s easy to learn how to operate the menu, even with the tiny screen, and the included instructions make everything a breeze.

Charge time is fast. After it finally ran out of power, I charged it back to full in about two and a half hours. I have an iMac and when I connected it to the recorder, it didn’t give me any problems. Recordings are saved as .WAV files, as expected.

Unfortunately, when I played back a 10 minute recording I did, the audio skipped several times here and there. It wasn’t terrible, but it was pretty annoying for a word to get messed up for a second. It kinda sounds like when a radio station scratches out any profanity in a song. I tried a few shorter recordings, ranging form 30 seconds to 4 minutes, and eventually something would mess up again. If you’re looking to buy this for interview purposes, I’d go with something more reliable. And for what it’s worth, the included earbuds are pretty bad. The first time I put them in to listen to something, I actually said “oh no” out loud. The do their job though, and that’s what counts.

I actually feel a little bad about giving this recorder 3 stars. It’s a solid product, very well-made and holds a lot of audio. There are worse products like this out there, so it’s worth trying out if you really need it. I’ll keep it around just for ideas and stuff that I can record for a minute or two.

Starry Eyes
Starry Eyes
DVD
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I HAVE THE DOCUMENTS RIGHT HERE. BLACK HELICOPTERS., May 7, 2015
This review is from: Starry Eyes (Amazon Instant Video)
Mike and Jay from Red Letter Media were really taking it to a horror movie recently, when Jay brought up Starry Eyes, a film I’d never heard of before. He said something along the lines of how it’s a real horror movie, and not the kind of boring, stupid stuff you get from a lot of modern horror movies like Paranormal Activity, where all the “horror” comes from waiting for something to happen. I was sold on it instantly, and tried to get around to watching Starry Eyes as soon as I could. While I can see how most would classify this as a horror movie, it’s really more of a supernatural drama. I’d like to say a little more than that, but it’d ruin the flow and some big plot points if I did. My rating probably makes it seem like I didn’t think much of Starry Eyes, but it -is- worth watching. I just tend to not be won over very easily when it comes to films like this.

Sarah is stuck in an entry level job, serving tables at a place very similar to a certain owl-themed restaurant most are familiar with, but she has big dreams of making it as an actress. She hangs around a group other people her age who are trying to figure things out as well, but haven’t quite made enough effort. One day Sarah finds out about an audition for the leading role in a horror movie, and promptly gets down to try out for the part. When she gets there, one girl leaves completely in tears, seemingly traumatized by whatever took place during the audition. That’s rarely a good sign. When it’s her turn, she’s embarrassed by the two judges and heads for the bathroom down the hall, screaming and pulling her hair out. One of the judges is waiting for her as she leaves, and wants her to come back and do that for her and the other judge. Sarah does it, and gets a call back to meet the producer of the film. Things seem to be looking up for the young lady, right?

First things first, Alex Essoe is GREAT as Sarah. She had me from the opening scenes as this poor, normal girl who just wants something out of life, pretty much suffering from Gilbert Grape syndrome (that’s a real condition, I’m sure of it). Seeing her give it her all during the audition, which wasn’t much, then leaving a complete wreck seemed so real. Alex Essoe knows just how much to put into the scene for her character, never overdoing it, and I really appreciate that. There’s one scene where she’s on some kind of drug, most likely ecstasy, and it’s totally believable. Not over the top like you see in a lot of movies where the person is clearly acting and seemingly has no experience doing x substance. This is a very well-written character that I was totally for in the beginning, and was on her side through all the obstacles that were in her way, from an overly sensitive boss to that uppity friend we’ve all had at some point in our lives, who just can’t ever say something positive when something good happens to their friends. As the movie goes on though, something happens and Sarah begins an emotional transformation that had me really not liking her and how she was taking what her friends would say.

Anyone hoping for a slasher, especially given the box art, is going to be disappointed. Starry Eyes, by most standards, takes a while to build up. If you need kills and gore within the first 30 minutes, avoid this one. At the same time, this isn’t an art house film by any stretch of the imagination. I can’t believe this is a straight to dvd/blu-ray movie; it could have pulled in some decent cash at the box office, especially in this age where every horror movie is found footage or relies on some “creepy” object like a doll. There are also some nice messages here regarding selling your soul to the devil, getting ahead in Hollywood, and losing yourself in pursuit of your dreams. Nothing too heavy-handed either!

If I could, I’d give the movie 3.5 stars. What did it for me was at about halfway through, after Sarah does a certain something. The supernatural parts just came off as lame, and I wish they would have ignored this stuff altogether. The movie was totally 4.5 stars up until that point. I won’t lie- I ended up opening a new tab and started checking other sites after I paused the movie when it happened, and came back to it after about 15 minutes. Give it a shot if you can. It’s still a million times better than most other horror/suspense movies I’ve seen in the last 5 years, and again, Alex Essoe is incredible. I can’t wait to see her in other films. And I also have to give a nod to one of the most brutal kills I’ve seen since High Tension. You’ll know it when you see it.

Hopefully you can see Starry Eyes without cracking up, imagining Alex Jones rants 3/4 through like I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20