Profile for Armando N. Roman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1009

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Armando N. Roman RSS Feed (Hillsboro, OR)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lonely Planet Pocket Orlando & Walt Disney World® Resort (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Orlando & Walt Disney World® Resort (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet
Price: $10.49
65 used & new from $5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars I wonder how many of these you could fit into a pair of Jncos., April 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One day when things are more settled, I plan on doing a little bit of traveling. I have a couple of good friends in Orlando, and Disney World's always been a place I've wanted to visit. On top of that, I do have a thing for travel guide books, so this was an instant order when I saw it. Lonely Planet offers a true pocket sized guide book to Orlando, not just focusing on Disney World (it's not even half the content!) but essentially EVERYTHING you could ever want to do there.

Normally with a good guide book, I'd provide a video review so you can take a look and see if you think it's worth the money or not. This one in particular contains mostly text. Yes, there are a good amount of photos inside, but definitely nowhere near as much as you'd normally get in a travel guide book. This one's all about giving you the information and locations, no fluff. Every store, site and location has just enough info to make them all sound worthwhile. I had no idea that there was a 50s style diner where waitresses dressed up in pink and white checkered outfits, and had a little fun with you if you didn't finish your meal. I had no idea there was a Duff brewing company from The Simpsons where you could get a Flaming Moe. I didn't know that Harry Potter fans were still so crazy that they'd be willing to wait 5 hours in line to get into some of the rides at Universal. And when I glanced over the Disney World section, that really put into perspective just how massive the place was. It seemed like I could spend a whole month just there and only scratch the surface.

Cheap, perfectly sized, and packing a fold-out map, this little book is everything you could ask for.

Nerf Rebelle Super Soaker Tri Threat Blaster
Nerf Rebelle Super Soaker Tri Threat Blaster
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you imagine if there was a real crossbow that shot three arrows?, April 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
(Ok guys, we get it, no one likes the marketing towards girls thing.)

My daughter's already a huge fan of the Rebelle dart guns, and had a few bigger Nerf guns in the past, but she hasn't had a really good water gun until we got this sucker. It's nowhere near as intimidating as the Super Soaker 2000 I had in the mid-90s, but it's still great for an 8 year old. I'm also impressed that the price on this is so low, and fits in line with the other Rebelle weapons.

This gun's pretty self-explanatory: it's a water gun that shoots three streams at the same time! That's a pretty cool feature, and one you don't see a whole lot of. This thing is comfortable to hold, no matter if you're a little kid or an adult, easy to use, and really does shoot up to 35 feet. You fire it by pumping and pulling the trigger. We didn't have any problems with it jamming or leaking, and the construction is very durable. It's not that brittle plastic that practically turns to dust if you drop it. All three streams are great, though the middle one is definitely the strongest.

The only real negative thing about it is that three streams of water means the tank gets empty pretty fast. If you're playing one-on-one, it'd be better to use a different gun. Teams shouldn't have any problem covering one another while the user refills.

I will overlook that tank issue because this is like the one Rebelle thing that doesn't come with stupid "secret" messages like "LOL" to decode. You know what? If you're on a team with anyone that uses those things, blast 'em in the face and switch sides. Everyone else will understand.

Disney INFINITY: Toy Box Starter Pack (2.0 Edition) - PlayStation 3
Disney INFINITY: Toy Box Starter Pack (2.0 Edition) - PlayStation 3
Offered by TradeStation
Price: $37.99
37 used & new from $32.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Well, the upcoming Star Wars set should be better than this., April 20, 2015
I’m not one of those parents to say that they “wasted money” on a toy for their child because they never played with said toy or game or whatever. Very rarely have I ever got my daughter something that she lost interest in within a few days, and never went back to it.

Disney Infinity 2.0 however, is one of those things, and I can definitely say that it’s a waste of money.

Basically, you NEED to have something else to go along with this Toy Box set if you want to have any fun. All you’re getting here are two characters and the Toy Box disc, where you can create your own world. There’s also a game for Merida that you can play in, and it’s fun for what it is, but unless your kids -love- creating their own worlds, which are very limited in what they can actually do in them, there’s not much reason to buy this one. This Toy Box set was a big letdown, and the reason I got it was because I heard there wasn’t a whole lot to do in the Marvel set. That seems to be the theme with 2.0 I guess.

Oh and you get two of the discs too, but at this point, I think most people quit caring about them.

The good news is that everything from 1.0 works here, and you can create some pretty neat things in the Toy Box. There’s no narrative, no big goals to achieve- just have fun and do what you want in there. Tons of Disney characters old and new are featured, with a lot of appearances sure to bring a smile to your face if you’re a fan too. It’s great seeing guys from Robin Hood and DuckTales showing up here in any form. Visually, the game looks about the same as the previous title, with some slowdown whenever things get hectic on-screen.

And yet the biggest problem is how boring it is. How long can you run around in a town you built with no objectives? 2.0 has some of the best characters of the series so far, and they’re pretty much wasted in this game. Play sets from the Marvel series restrict you to using Marvel characters. The Disney characters? They have nothing! They’re stuck in the Toy Box where they can beat up the same bad guys over, and over, and over again. Or maybe just jump around buildings, or demonstrate their awesome powers that will never be fully appreciated. Why give us Maleficent and Baymax when they can’t be used anywhere good? No play sets for any of them?? Come on! With 1.0 we got Cars, Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, Monsters University, even freakin’ The Lone Ranger. Obviously it says on the box that this is the Toy Box set, but something more should have been included, even if it were more to do in the Toy Box. As it is, this is aimed at people who bought the first game. Anyone new to the series isn’t going to be very impressed with just the Toy Box.

My daughter was excited when Aladdin and Jasmine came out, so we got those for her last month. She was happy to have them, but I checked when 2.0 was last played, and it was over two months ago; she has no desire to go back to the game. Ouch. I don’t blame her. I also felt bad because she wanted this and the newest Skylanders, but couldn’t make up her mind on which one she wanted the most, so I went with this since she liked a lot of the new characters (especially Venom and Rocket Raccoon).

We’ll probably end up trading this one in if she wants, but keep the figures since they’re cool. Either wait for a price drop, or at least buy this along with one of the Marvel sets in order to get things started. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to give Marvel all the support with play sets here, while Disney’s own characters are left in the dust.

Nerf Rebelle Slingback Blaster
Nerf Rebelle Slingback Blaster
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope I never end up posing with a Nerf gun on the product packaging., April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter loves the Rebelle guns, though she is still very aware that the "boy guns" are way bigger and cooler with how many people they can blast in such a short amount of time. We've gotten nearly all of the main guns and bows in the Rebelle line so far, and I thought we'd see how the smaller ones handle. To date, none of the Rebelle products have failed on us, and I've been impressed by how powerful some of them were, even causing my 18 year old brother to say "ouch!" out loud when he got shot by one from 20 feet away. The Slingback Blaster here manages to hold its own, and is the Noisy Cricket (from Men in Black) of the bunch: sometimes a tiny gun can pack just as much damage as a big one.

Assembling the Slingback takes all of 10 seconds. You slide the piece that holds the darts into the handle, snap it in place, then snap the string into place and you're all set. Make sure you snap the string in place, because it can seem like it's in there even when it's not. When you hear the snap, then you know it's good. Place a dart into the slot, pull the string on the back of the Slingback and let 'er go! There's room for two more darts to be held on the sides of the unit...which isn't much, but this is more of a desperation weapon or something a lesser Nerf soldier might use if they're just there to be a distraction or something. Hey, look at how much this thing costs.

The darts definitely go far and fast, and I can see these living up to the 75 feet flying distance they claim on the box. As usual with most Rebelle guns, they included the lame decoder so you can read the "hidden messages" like "LOL" on the darts. People at Nerf, stop with this and just include more darts or something! My daughter totally ditched this and never asked about it ever again with her other weapons, and she didn't even bother taking it out of the plastic baggie here. Others have said that the Slingback's handle is uncomfortable, but neither my daughter or I have experienced any discomfort.

The problem we DO have, is with the little orange tab that locks the dart holder in place when you're pulling it back. There's this little triangle that pokes out, and is supposed to go down when you pull. Sometimes, it doesn't go down, and we have to press down on the tab with a pen or anything thin. We could've just ended up with a faulty one, but it sucks that it's happening. Did you ever think you could jam a slingshot?

If you haven't got your kids a Nerf weapon before, this would be a nice entry level one, provided it doesn't have that defect with the tab. There are Rebelle weapons that cost a little more and are way more impressive though, and they're all awesome. This would be more of a thing to give out to kids at big birthday parties where everyone's running around outside. Just make sure they know not to shoot at faces- these suckers could definitely do some damage if you're not careful.

Gaiam Hot Yoga Mat Towel, Pink Fandango
Gaiam Hot Yoga Mat Towel, Pink Fandango
Price: $39.98
2 used & new from $39.98

3.0 out of 5 stars I made the same face as the girl in the stock image when I saw it., April 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I opened the shipping box, I was very surprised to see how thin this towel was. It's basically a giant version of the microfiber cloth you get with a pair of glasses. I used it on top of my mat, did a couple of poses, and was disappointed. The towel is just too thin to be of much use, especially at this price. Why does it cost so much for the exact same thing other companies make for half as much? You can read me the specifics all you want, but it doesn't change anything- this is just a thin towel! It's not going to help you out any more than one made at a lower price point. The thinness and lack of weight cause it to move around enough to where it becomes slightly distracting. As for sweat absorption yeah, it gets the job done...just like any other similar towel. It's comfortable too.

This is one of those cases where you might think that the product is good because it's priced higher than others, and assume it's of higher quality. Nope. Here you're getting an overpriced microfiber towel in a cool color. If you absolutely love this pink color, and can don't mind spending more than you should, by all means go for it. It's -fine- for a yoga towel, just not worth the money.

Merci European Chocolates, 7 Ounce
Merci European Chocolates, 7 Ounce
Price: $8.21
4 used & new from $7.63

3.0 out of 5 stars The sun sure didn't have any mercy on these., April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't eat a whole lot of chocolates any more, but when something new comes around, I give it a shot.

Quick note- the chocolates arrived to me with over half of them melted, being reduced to half the size of their individual plastic wrapped sizes. It wasn't a pretty sight when I opened the mailing envelope and saw chocolate oozing from the sides of the box.

Of the batch, my favorite was Praline Cream. I've never had this before and when I took a small bite from the piece, I was hooked and took out the rest of it, and the second one in no time. All the others...to be honest, were pretty plain. If I hadn't read the wrappers or anything on the box, I wouldn't have really known what it was that the others were supposed to be. Most of them tasted like regular chocolates to me. Granted, at this price point, you can't expect anything extravagant or mind blowing, but it sure isn't the "finest" Europe has to offer by any stretch of the definition. And some of this might be because of the whole melting thing. Either way, I wasn't that impressed.

If I ever get around to buying another box of these, and they aren't melted and I end up liking them, I'll update this review. Until then, I just see this as a basic chocolates in a fancy cigar box-looking presentation. Well, melted cigars anyway.

DII Home Essentials Reversible Ultra Plush Sherpa Throw Blanket, 50 by 60-Inch, USA Flag
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The only acceptable flag to hold babies in., April 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Have you ever wanted to use an American flag to keep you warm at night, knowing that it'll protect you from insurgents, planning to take your freedom after their homes and families were destroyed by drones in surgical strikes? Do you fantasize of ISIS breaking into your house, and repelling their bullets with Old Glory? Well that's not a good idea because if you do anything with an American flag other than have it up on a flag pole, you'll go to jail you red commie punk. Instead, buy one of these lush, super soft blankets with the stars and stripes on it.

The Sherpa side of the blanket is very fluffy and insanely soft, just like a bald eagle's passion for our veterans. The 'flag side' is smooth, perfect for any patriotic cat to nuzzle against and take a freedom nap. If you're cold, this thing is going to warm you up in seconds, allowing you to feel energized, ready to buy stocks and bonds. I didn't experience any discomfort at all when I draped it over my shoulders as I walked into Wal-Mart the other day, and I got many compliments from other fine citizens with similar designs on their sandals and cargo shorts. In the off-chance that some Redcoat or Ruski gets it dirty, the blanket is machine washable and retains its softness after a gentle wash.

I have zero complaints about this blanket because that would make me unpatriotic and you might suspect me to be a terrorist. It's like Liberty Prime said:

"Death is a preferable alternative to communism."

If you care about your family, or more importantly, your country, you will buy as many of these as you can.

...WAIT THIS IS IMPORTED?????
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2015 2:26 PM PDT

Guilty Gear Xrd - SIGN - PlayStation 3 Standard Edition
Guilty Gear Xrd - SIGN - PlayStation 3 Standard Edition
Price: $48.78
13 used & new from $40.25

4.0 out of 5 stars The Street Fighter 4 of Guilty Gear, but it's good to have it back., April 11, 2015
I may have grown up on Street Fighter 2, starting out with The World Warrior when it came out for the SNES way back in the early 90s, but when I first played a Guilty Gear game (#Reload on the Xbox), everything just clicked for me. I fell in love with the game and each update, no matter how many came out. When AC+ came out for ps3, I was happy to finally play against other people online…even if it was one of the worst online experiences for a fighting game. When the +R patch finally came out, I played the game even more. And when Xrd was announced? I think I yelled “FINALLY!” out loud. For me, the Guilty Gear series is as good as you can get with fighting games. My favorite things being the incredibly diverse cast of characters, where no two play alike, and the insanely good metal soundtrack. Xrd is a love letter to fans of the series, and something anyone new can appreciate as well.

I don’t want to sound like a fanboy who’s going to ignore the game’s faults (I’ll get into those later), but man…there’s so much greatness here, it’s stupid. First, the tutorial mode is probably the best one ever seen in a fighting game. Everything from the absolute basics like movement to the advanced techniques and combos are covered here. No longer do you need to go online and look up a video or FAQ to figure out what a term means, or how to cancel a move into another one- you’ll learn it all right here in the game. This is a big deal, and if more fighting games had a tutorial even half as good as this one, more people would probably be supporting the genre instead of abandoning it after a few months, getting wasted by people who’ve put in the time. The character roster may be small compared to XX’s (and especially to Ultra Street Fighter 4, which was basically SF All-Stars by then), but that helps make the game more balanced and easier to learn match ups. The cast is still very diverse, and the new characters grew on me in no time. Sin Kiske is unlockable after you earn enough in-game money through beating Arcade mode, Challenges, Missions, etc. Leo and Elphelt need to be purchased on PSN (though you could have got Elphelt for free not long after the game’s release, even if you didn’t have the game).

What surprised me was how I had to essentially learn a new game with Xrd. I played Faust from #Reload through +R, and trying to pull off some of his combos here led to a lot of failure. More than half of my tricks from the last installment doesn’t work now, and I was getting wasted by people online doing dumb, basic things. Trust me, if you thought you were decent in the last game, practice a lot here before taking on anyone of any skill level! There are some new mechanics like Hellfire and Danger Zone that change things up, yet don’t break the game like say X-Factor in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. They're more tacked on and annoying than they are bad. I also have to give recognition to the Story mode in this game. I loved the individual stories and different paths in XX; in Xrd, you’re basically going to watch a very long movie going over everything. If that wasn’t enough, there’s an extensive database in the menu that you can go through and look up terms, characters and more in case you’re rusty or new.

What don’t I like about Xrd? Well, the biggest thing is the music. I don’t have any favorite tracks! There were so many that sounded the same to me that I couldn’t tell if I was listening to the same one over and over during matches. It turns out that they’re all very chord-heavy and lack the intensity of the tracks on the XX soundtrack. By the time XX was done getting new music, I had over 15 favorite tracks I’d go through when making matches online. Here, I just set it to random because it doesn’t matter to me. Luckily, a couple of tracks from the old games are unlockable, so you can listen to the awesomeness that is ‘Still in the Dark’. On the flip side, you can’t pick your music each time you start a match. You have to go to your character select screen in the sub-menu and set it if there’s a particular song you want to hear. Yeah, we can have our character set for online matches, making things faster, and the same applies for the music. This wouldn’t matter if the tracks were good! Most of the time, I ended up muting the tv and playing my own music instead. That hurts to say given that it’s one of the things the Guilty Gears series is known for.

My only other big complaint is the game feels a lot slower than XX. Gorgeous animations and visuals, and yet it feels about 25% slower now. I noticed it as soon as I started playing, and even now I feel the same way. Half of my friends agree, half say it’s the same speed. Regarding online play, it’s a mixed bag. Things are definitely better than they were with the PSN and Xbox Live versions of AC+R, but sometimes when I select someone to play, it shows a white 4 bar connection (the best). As soon as the match starts, it’s obvious that it’s anything but good, and there’s even text at the top of the screen letting you know how many frames of delay there are. Just be ready for that. Even with that little complaint, it’s great getting right into a match. You setup a card of sorts, and have your character, stage and music set so when you find someone to play with, you go right into it without having to select anything. There are TONS of options and menus for fighting others online, with a pretty cool Player Match system involving 4 arcade stations where multiple people can wait at any station for their turn, just like you would in a real arcade (remember those??). This isn’t just a huge step up from online in AC+R, it’s like a flight of stairs up. Finally, yes, the gameplay is watered down from XX. The thing is, you can’t expect every game in a series to stay the same. It’s still Guilty Gear when it comes down to it. It’s just going to take some time to get used to everything.

I could go on and on (more-so) but I think you get the point by now. Xrd is a must-have for any fighting game fan. It may be a bit dumbed down for new players, but longtime fans need to get off their high horses and realize that new players are needed to keep things fresh. Don’t wait to see if a new version of Xrd comes out in a year or two. Get Xrd now.

Tacwise Z3-140 Heavy Duty Hand Tacker/Staple Gun for 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 Inches Long Staples, Silver/Orange (TAC0806)
Price: $19.21
3 used & new from $19.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming soon to The Office 2., April 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's nice when you get something in the mail, not expecting it to be all that great, and as soon as you take it out of the box, go "oh wow".

First of all, the spring in this thing is insane. I've used a lot of staple guns over the years, mainly for art projects, and this one definitely feels the strongest. All around sturdy metal construction too, with nothing feeling flimsy at all. You can see what's loaded in the chamber before using it, so you there won't be any accidents of "let's see if this is loaded or not". The opening is half an inch at the nose, making it very easy to take care of any jams in the off-chance that it happens. It works very well, and I didn't get any deformed staples when I used it.

If this was around when I was in 11th grade back in 2001, I definitely wouldn't have had to steal so many staple guns from the art room- I would've just stuck with this one.

Don't Cry Mommy (English Subtitled)
Don't Cry Mommy (English Subtitled)
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I never want to see another cake again now., April 8, 2015
I had never heard or read anything about Don’t Cry Mommy until I saw a picture for it on a site I visit, and it listed the movie as the source. It looked interesting, so I gave it a shot based on the plot summary, and was drawn in after 15 minutes. This is one of those movies that I’ll be recommending to everyone I know, especially fans of movies like Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and I Saw the Devil.

Yoo-lim has begun her new life with her daughter, Eun-ah after finishing up with a divorce. The two are very close and can talk to each other like two best friends would. Eun-ah starts attending a new school and notices a boy that she likes. He’s the silent, lone wolf kinda guy, but he was held back a year, so he isn’t seen as a great guy by some students. Still, Eun-ah likes him, and tries to win his affection by making him chocolates. When she gives them to him, however, she is brutally assaulted and raped by the boy and two of his friends, while one of them records it on their phone. At the same time, Yoo-lim is at a karaoke bar with someone, kind of on a date, and she leaves early. Eun-ah ends up being hospitalized from the attack, and it devastates Yoo-lim. She quickly finds the three boys at the police station and confronts them about what happened. They show no fear though, and begin to fight back right there, though it’s quickly broken up. At their trial, they essentially get off with no punishment- only one of them left semen on Eun-ah, and there was no evidence that the other boys were there. Of course, Yoo-lim won’t stand for it. Sadly, her daughter is having a hard time with the whole thing, as anyone would, but she gets called back by one of the kids to come over. The young girl packs a box cutter with her and takes off while her mom gets some groceries. What happens next is the kind of thing no loving parent would ever want to experience.

So much happens in this movie that I really have to hold back on saying what I all liked about it, as to not ruin everything. Let me just say that I was totally surprised by the quality of everything here. This movie could very much fit in the well-known Vengeance Trilogy. It may not be as extreme as any of those, but it definitely holds its own, and is in the same tone of at least Lady Vengeance. Heck, this is a whole new Lady Vengeance with the lead actress playing the kind of character that could be seen as a not-as-over-the-top Liam Neeson. I’m surprised at how little info and discussion there is for Don’t Cry Mommy. The pacing, plot and acting by Yoo Sun were great. Honestly, the only complaint I have is that some of the acting by the younger stars is a bit off, but it’s not bad by any means. There are only a few graphic scenes, and none of them are overdone in the slightest. Even basic acts of violence like punches and kicks are done very convincingly, and the camera stays on the victim to let it sink in.

I’ve been a dad for over 8 years now, and I’ve seen a lot of movies where bad things happen to kids over the years. Of course, once you become a parent, you get a little more attached to kids in movies. But here, the horrible things that happen to Eun-ah got me so much that it felt like I got punched deep in the stomach. No other movie’s done that to me. Even the trial for the boys had me getting angry, knowing that this kind of thing is very normal in a lot of countries. I got very attached to Yoo-lim and Eun-ah, as well as the officer who tries to help them with everything. These are excellent characters, with excellent actors performing the roles. Yoo Sun, who plays Yoo-Lim, had me as soon as I saw her scenes being playful with Eun-Ah. She’s not one of those boring, one dimensional movie moms. And when things get rough, I felt like I was watching a real mom out for revenge on those who wronged her daughter. I’m definitely going to check out some of her other movies- she’s that good.

Don’t Cry Mommy is the best movie I’ve seen this year so far. I don’t just give out 5 star ratings for movies, but this one earned it. It’s a shame there’s barely any info for it out there. Check it out when you have time. It’s just an hour and a half, never drags on, has some intense moments, and doesn’t hold back…but also doesn’t go over the top.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20