Profile for Michael G. Lustig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 934

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael G. Lustig RSS Feed (NJ USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Up 2 U
Up 2 U
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars The first time I listened to this album, I was blown away by this song., December 2, 2014
This review is from: Up 2 U (MP3 Music)

Shut Up and Dance
Shut Up and Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, the single., December 2, 2014
This review is from: Shut Up and Dance (MP3 Music)

Sidekick
Sidekick
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I remember hearing this song live and not liking it at all., December 2, 2014
This review is from: Sidekick (MP3 Music)

Talking Is Hard
Talking Is Hard
Price: $7.99
38 used & new from $2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking is Awesome!, December 2, 2014
This review is from: Talking Is Hard (Audio CD)
First off, I want to say that you shouldn’t be suspicious of this review because it’s posted the day of the album release. Nothing is more aggravating than a review written after listening to the album only once. Since Talking is Hard streamed on Spotify a week early, I have listened to the album in its entirety at least 10 times (I’m a big fan). So, while you may not agree with my review, it is thought out at the very least. I’ll first review the songs and then talk about the album as a whole.

Different Colors – 4/5 – This was a solid opening track. One of the great things about Walk the Moon was the clarity of Nick Petricca’s (the singer) voice, and I feel like some of that was lost in the verses. This was the only song where I had to follow the lyrics while listening to fully understand it. I like that WTM is making music supporting the LGBT communities. I wish the vocals were a bit clearer, but Different Colors delivers a good amount of energy to begin.

Sidekick – 4.25/5 – I remember hearing this song live and not liking it at all. When I first heard it on the record, I came around a bit. After about four or five listens, I really liked the song. The “sidekick” hook is incredibly catchy and the synth solo is one of the better on the album. The song itself is fun and myopic, and every good album has a few of those.

Shut Up and Dance – 3.75/5 – Ah, the single. Look, this is a solid song, but it is by no means the best album. In fact, I don’t think any other song on the album sounds like it, for better or for worse. I’m worried that people will by this album for this single and then be disappointed that the other songs don’t sound similar. It’s fun and dance-y but I feel that it’ll be the first song I start to skip when I get to know the album a bit better. All in all, I feel this song is Walk the Moon for people who wouldn’t usually like Walk the Moon, for better or for worse.

Up 2 U – 5/5 – So the first time I listened to this album, I was blown away by this song. My feelings for it have not changed since then. The buildup between the verses and the hook is insane and I dare anyone not to scream “it’s up to you!” after hearing the song a few times. This is the first song where we see the vocal skill of Nick Petricca. This song is crazy!

Avalanche – 4.25/5 – I like this song. The pace is slow and relaxed and the lyrics complement that nicely. I got more out of this song after about five listens. Eli’s guitar skills show prominently here.

Portugal – 4.75/5 – Great melody with surprisingly deep lyrics. This song won’t stand out until a few plays, but it is truly genius. Lyrically, this is the best song on the album. I like how WTM put a deeper song on this album.

Down in the Dumps – 3.75/5 – I know what they were trying to do with this song, but I think it fell a bit short. The synth in the song is very cool, but I was disappointed with the lyrics and felt that no other band member made a significant impact on the song. Maybe I’ll change my mind over time.

Work This Body – 5/5 – If anyone was a fan of Walk the Moon’s Tightrope EP, than this song will be thoroughly enjoyed. I LOVE the pace and the vocals for this song. This song has just as much raw energy as Up 2 U, but the energy is different. This song is the closest to the first album (I think of Next in Line or Tightrope).

Spend Your Money – 5/5 – This song was played live for over a year before the release of this album. I instantly loved the song, and the lyrics are surprisingly witty. Nick uses his highest falsetto twice in this song, which makes it instantly loveable. The synth fits beautifully and the Kevin’s bass line holds the song together.

We Are the Kids - 4/5 – Good song. I thought it was fairly agreeable and it fits well with the album. It’s not a risk taker, but that’s okay.

Come Under the Covers – 2/5 – I wouldn’t be as disappointed with this song if I didn’t see Walk the Moon live so many times. At a few of their shows in 2013, they played this really awesome song called Tiger Teeth. I absolutely loved it and couldn’t wait to hear it on the album. When WTM released the track list, I was very upset when I saw it didn’t make the cut. This song should have been replaced by Tiger Teeth. I did not like the melody or lyrics here, but perhaps I have an unfair bias.

Avalanche – 4.25/5 – This song sounds like a Phil Collins song, but still has that WTM edge. I think it closes out the album nicely.

Average Song Rating = 4.2/5

Any album that averages a 4/5 or better gets five stars in my book. This was a thoroughly enjoyable listen from beginning to end. I think the songs pair nicely with the title, because sometimes, talking is hard! Sometimes, you just can’t build up the courage to tell someone how you feel (Portugal). Other times, there are conversations you wouldn’t want to have (Spend Your Money). And sometimes, we don’t say what we feel (Up 2 U, Shut Up and Dance). The album tries to communicate those ideas through the songs.

I give this album two thumbs up and a recommendation. Also, if anyone is interested in the meanings behind the songs, I recommend listening to Nick Petricca’s track-by-track commentary on Spotify.

YogaAddict Men's Yoga Long Pants, Black - Size XL
YogaAddict Men's Yoga Long Pants, Black - Size XL

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Pants that will last a while, December 1, 2014
These are the best yoga pants I've ever worn. They look nice, the fabric used is high quality, and there was minimal shrinkage when washed. I am very happy with the product and will continue to wear these pants often.

Different Colors
Different Colors

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a solid opening track., December 1, 2014
This review is from: Different Colors (MP3 Music)

Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet 5 PACK (3 Ft) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest Version] - 3 Feet - 5 Pack
Offered by CABLE-MIX
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm confused - Isn't this digital? Don't be fooled by more expensive cables., November 29, 2014
I live in the world of cables and wireless as a computer programmer and 1 is 1 and 0 is 0. The one and only thing a cable has to do is successfully transmit the 1's and 0's without errors -- that's it. If it does that, it is as good as it can be no matter how expensive it is.

These cables fall into the "I can do it but I might fail or be defective" category. Considering that I have five for half of the price of one of your name-brand cables, I'll risk it. Any claim that Brand X digital cables are better was likely written by somebody who works for the company. Check my review history, I don't work for any of these companies.

BTW: If any of the cables arrive DOA, Amazon will replace them free of charge.

Case Logic DVB-200 200 CD/DVD and 92 Liner Note Capacity (Black)
Case Logic DVB-200 200 CD/DVD and 92 Liner Note Capacity (Black)
Price: $29.95
31 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I packed 4 bookshelves of DVDs into 4 binders with Liner Notes, November 29, 2014
I'm moving into a smaller house and taking 400+ DVDs plus the shelves wasn't an option. My 400+ DVD were already organized and I've switched over to digital going forward so I just needed to archive what I had already.

The Case Logic DVB-200 is just what I needed because it let me save the Liner Notes with my DVDs.

My only complaint is that the DVD sleeves open downwards instead of upwards. This is just dumb because if you carry the case by the handle, the DVDs fall out of their pockets unless you use the tab to hold the DVD in. The problem is there is only on tab for every two slots so half of your DVDs can still slip out even if you use the tabs.

Far Cry 4 - PlayStation 4
Far Cry 4 - PlayStation 4
Price: $48.88
71 used & new from $43.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice improvements over Far Cry 3 - Mostly, November 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I pre-ordered FC4 so I've been playing in online Campaign mode since it's release earlier in November 2014. I played Far Cry 3 on the PS3 so I'm some what familiar with this open-world game and the general concepts which haven't changed too much in FC4.

FC4 is a first-person game. I wouldn't call it a Shooter game because you have to do other stuff like collecting items, crafting, etc. You just do the all in the first-person. It is an open-world game to the degree that you have opened that part of the map. You open up the map by hacking towers, completing quests/missions and liberating pirate bases and fortresses. This game is HUGE. I played for a few hours in my normal slow do every thing mode and I completed 0.65% of the game. Doing the math, it could take me 100's of hours to complete this game if I do everything. (I finished COD in regular in about 10 hours as a comparison.)

The cool thing about FC4 is that you decide what to do next . My recommendation is to craft you gear early while simple wildlife is around. The most important thing to craft is your pouch followed by your wallet and then your ammunition clips.

Her's a good tip for hunting Rhinos: Learn to ride elephants and buy a signature elephant gun (if you don't have one). Once you find an elephant, ride it to where the rhinos are and fun. The only thing that can kill an elephant easily is a head-on collision with an enemy truck.

In FC4 healing syringes auto create if you have the right herbs which save time. I haven't figured out how to craft other syringes without injecting myself immediately.

I'm definitely using the bow more in FC4 than FC3 and suggest getting a recurve bow and scope as soon as you can.

Another new feature is auto-drive. This isn't "take me where I want to go" but it can be. If you're on a road AND you set a waypoint that is in the direction you are headed, auto-drive will take you in that direction. It will KEEP GOING if there's more road so you have to pay attention. It will also auto-drive in the opposite direction that you want to go. You can use auto-drive on some missions.

This is a great gave that will keep you busy for a long time if you don't rush through it.

AMD Radeon R7 Series 240GB 2.5-Inch SATA III 7mm Ultra Slim SSD with Toshiba A19nm MLC NAND RADEON-R7SSD-240G
Offered by TigerDirect, Inc.
Price: $144.99
21 used & new from $144.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Save money and upgrade your old laptop. My Windows Performance went from 5.4 to 7.9, November 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a computer professional and I rebuild laptops all the time. Most people make the mistake thinking the need a new laptop because their computer is running slow. If your computer is fairly new and has a regular SATA 2.0 or 3.0 hard drive, switching to a SSD may be all you need to do instead of buying a new computer. There is software included to help with switching drives.

I upgraded all of my laptops to SSDs and they all boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 in under 15 seconds. I used this disk SSD to upgrade a 4 year old Acer with only 4GB of memory and an SATA 2 interface that took almost 2 minutes to boot Windows 7. It now boots in about 12 seconds.

You probably have a bunch of junk installed on your computer. This isn't the place to discuss that other than to say if you're putting in a new SSD, it's a really good time to consider rebuilding your laptop from scratch if you're up to it.

The other thing to do is add more memory. If you have 2GB, upgrade to 4GB. if you have 4GB, upgrade to 8GB.

Your computer will be rocket-fast limited only by your graphics card which is rarely a problem unless you're a gamer.

Even if your computer is SATA 2, you will benefit from the speed of this SATA 3 SSD drive. If you're already SATA 3.0, this is the fastest SSD drive I've used yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20