Profile for Jamesarr > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jamesarr "jamesarr" RSS Feed (Louisville, KY United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Seal Cove
Seal Cove
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Monster edits needed..., December 17, 2014
This review is from: Seal Cove (Kindle Edition)
The review that mentioned Monolith Monsters is what got me to give this a try. Truly a unique and original story. A personal favorite.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...What if the first 30 minutes of Friday the 13th was about the people building the original cabins back in the 50's. About laying out the plan of the camp, ordering the materials, clearing the land, unloading the trucks, pouring foundations, sawing, hammering, stopping to eat cookies, digging, plumbing, wiring, etc ... and you didn't know when something interesting would ever happen, though the movie poster led you to believe something scary was going to occur..... eventually. Maybe you would give up and try something else, which is what I did 20% of the way in to this book. Luckily, I borrowed this from the Kindle library, so I'm not out any coin, but I feel like I wasted my loan for this month.

This story needs a do-over with a good editor to keep the author on-track.

NutraBio 100% Pure Hydrolyzed Whey Protein (2 Pounds Chocolate) - Ultra Fast Absorbing Protein Source.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bleeech!, September 9, 2014
Tastes awful. Chalky and bitter. Even blending in smoothie with banana and chocolate milk doesn't help. I'll be going back to grocery store protein powder I'd been using. Thought this might be "healthier", but that doesn't matter if a won't use it. Bleeeech!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2015 11:00 AM PST

Fearless (The Lost Fleet, Book 2)
Fearless (The Lost Fleet, Book 2)
by Jack Campbell
Price: $7.99
177 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Sophomore Slump in Space, June 25, 2014
The first book in this series was good enough to get me to buy the sequel, though I had some worries about what I thought would be obvious traps for the author to fall into. Alas, it seems that my fears were correct. While Dauntless was a decent introduction of plot and characters, Fearless has begun what appears to be (from reviews of the following books in the series) an ongoing cycle of rinse and repeat battles punctuated by poorly written character interaction.

Spoilers ahead *****

IMO, the “romance” is extremely poorly written. Although we all knew it was coming (only woman in the fleet he can have a non-regulations breaking relationship with) it still comes out of no-where. In all their interactions she gives no indication of having any feelings about him other than distrust and wariness. Then BOOM! She wants to bang him. Bat-guano-insane best describes her character’s behavior. She runs cold and hot through this rest of the book, confusing not only Geary but the reader as well.

Geary proves himself over and over, yet still faces resistance to his leadership of the fleet. It’s very tiresome and unbelievable. What else does he have to do? Blow up enemy ships with his mind?

The mutiny sub-plot is almost a throw-away device. It happens, plays no real part through the meat of the book, and is resolved with a few arrests and some sad words about the ships lost. A better story would have been about what happened to the mutineers and how some of the captains realized their mistake and their attempts to get Falco to rejoin the rest of the fleet before it was too late.

I’m going to cut my losses and stop here with this series. I might get the last book from the library and skim through it to find out what happens, but otherwise I’m done.

Democracy's Right
Democracy's Right
Price: $3.00

1.0 out of 5 stars war is hell, but this book just sucks, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Democracy's Right (Kindle Edition)
Again, the lopsided number of positive reviews makes me feel that the whole Amazon review process is practically worthless. Yes people can have different opinions, but come on this book is a barely disguised middle school creative writing project rough draft.
I read Mr. Nuttall's "The Empire Corps", and while it was average at best, it is head and shoulders above this story, which disappoints in just about every way possible. A cliché plot, thin characterizations, mechanical prose style, and basic grammar and style issues sink this boat at the dock let alone before leaving the harbor. It makes me shudder to think what the original version of this book must have been like if this is the new and "improved" edition.
Recommend reading the first few books of the Honor Harrington series instead (which goes off the rails after book 4 or 5).

The Fire [HD]
The Fire [HD]
DVD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreck and more dreck, July 13, 2013
I made it half-way through the second episode. I didn't read the book, but have read many of King's novels and typically enjoy them. From some of the other reviews, many people seemed to enjoy the book, and are (often very) disappointed with what is making it to the screen. Hollywood has a horrible track record when adapting King's material, with something like 5 bombs for every even moderate success. The writing, acting and production on this are Sci-Fi (SyFy, ugh) channel grade dog-meat. Even without any experience, given the same resources I could do much, much better and it would still suck, just not as much.

Headsweats Race Performance Running/Outdoor Sports Hat (One Size)
Headsweats Race Performance Running/Outdoor Sports Hat (One Size)
Price: $11.95 - $26.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, June 22, 2011
I bought this hat (in plain white) as an alternative to the Halo visor I had purchased earlier. While the Halo works very well at keeping sweat out of my eyes, the visor is constructed in a way that in not terribly appealing looking when I wear it. The Halo II headband alone option works very well, especially under a cycling helmet. Back to this hat, which fits well, is good looking, but does not perform any better than any other ball-type hat I wear when running. I sweat profusely, and in the hot, humid Louisville summers we have here, this product just does not perform as advertised to my satisfaction. If you tend to sweat buckets like I do, I'd look elsewhere.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 12:45 PM PDT

The Swarm: A Novel
The Swarm: A Novel
by Frank Schštzing
31 used & new from $2.08

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than chocolate whip cream., June 5, 2011
This review is from: The Swarm: A Novel (Paperback)
What the hell was this book about? I just finished it and I can't think why I stuck with it so long. Pick any negative review and just believe it. This was more disappointing than when I tried the chocolate whip cream in a can. Yes, they make chocolate whip cream. And it is terribly disappointing, but much less so than this book.

Kronos
Kronos
DVD ~ Jeff Morrow
Price: $6.81
39 used & new from $3.40

1.0 out of 5 stars "Shockingly" bad sci-fi. Save for last if just completing your collection., January 10, 2010
This review is from: Kronos (DVD)
Wow! I've been disappointed before, but I'm actually thinking of returning this one, as I don't think I'll ever watch it again. Many reviewers have given this film credit for having an unusual antagonist, granted, but it also has horrible junk science, wooden acting, terrible dialogue, plentiful stock footage, and it just plain stinks. Slow, painfully slow, to develop. Endless shots of helicopters circling. I couldn't wait for this to be over. If you want a movie that doesn't have a guy in a rubber suit as the baddie, track down the much superior "Monolith Monsters", which succeeds everywhere that this film fails.

Through Wolf's Eyes (Wolf, Book 1)
Through Wolf's Eyes (Wolf, Book 1)
by Jane Lindskold
143 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Sharp decline from interesting beginning..., October 27, 2003
I read the first chapter or two of this book before buying it. It caught my interest and held it for the first 200 pages. However, from that point on the book loses focus on the most interesting character, Firekeeper, and moves through several other characters points of view. Why the author chose to do this is puzzling. None of the other characters are much more than cardboard cutouts. Why leave a strong, interesting female lead (when there are so few) to interact with several rather typical "also-theres"?
I struggled to finish this book and was very disappointed with the second half. Went to the bookstore and read the first couple of chapters of the sequel. Also very disappointing. A shame really. A nice (if not original)concept, but poorly executed.

Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, Book 3)
Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, Book 3)
by K. W. Jeter
Price: $7.99
188 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars ....tacular to the extreme, Boba Fett! Boba Fett!, March 26, 2003
It's truly amazing how little actually happens across or is accomplished by the end of these three books. I can't believe that anyone over the age of 15 thinks that this series has been worth paying money for. I read the first two books on plane trips and then forgot about them. I just saw this one at a used book store for a dollar and picked it up. Now I remember why I didn't bother getting it sooner. Boring, repetitive prose, that staggers across the page like a drunken sorority girl on spring break. Characters who completely and utterly lack any charisma what-so-ever do not for a fun read make. Writing that is just damn hard to follow. Pages of boring, and pointless references to events that make no impact on anyone, anywhere in the galaxy.
Boba Fett is supposed to be tough and cool, who rarely if ever speaks, but can get the job done. Not some jabbering twit who barely escapes by pure chance when the going gets dirty. Did the author really hear Fett say these pages and pages of dialogue in the voice from the movie? The voice that you can tell says maybe a hundred words a year?
Hey, thats another thing. Why does the author always refer to him as "Boba Fett" and not just as "Fett". All the characters in the book do this as well either when speaking to, about or even just contemplating the character (Boba Fett). Dengar stared at Boba Fett as Boba Fett turned to stare at his (Boba Fett's) ship. Boba Fett felt that being Boba Fett was cool. "Hey, you, Boba Fett, I'm going to kill you, Boba Fett."
"I'll get you for this, Boba Fett. It's not over, Boba Fett.30% percent of the words in the damn book must be "Boba Fett". I guess Boba Fett must have killed the last couple of guys who just called him Fett, or God forive, Boba.
Stay away at all costs.