Profile for Peter Kirsch > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter Kirsch RSS Feed (Wisconsin, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Regeneration: A Manifesto for America's Next Leaders
Regeneration: A Manifesto for America's Next Leaders
Price: $9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast, inspiring read, February 20, 2015
Ryan's analysis offers a renewed look at the current socio-economic situation in the United States and paints an insightful picture of where we're headed, illuminated by a hopeful message .

Comparing nature's seasonal path to similar "seasons" throughout U.S. history, Rebecca Ryan examines the current winter-like indicators in our economy, society, and environment, comparing them to lessons learned from our national past. Her sharp, candid analysis creates a rational, fact-based image of our future "Spring" that looks quite different from the current norm.

Thin on actual solutions, the book is brusque at points, though admirably so; it takes particular integrity to accept that you don't have all the answers. But her rational analysis of how "the way things are" point to "the way things are going to be" is both convincing and inspiring as she charges a combined five generations of Americans to start thinking and acting for the future.

The winds of change are blowing in a new season; we must adapt ourselves and our communities. What will you do to help us prepare?

Hosa Cable CMR210 Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable - 10 Foot
Hosa Cable CMR210 Stereo 1/8 Inch to Dual RCA Adapter Cable - 10 Foot
Price: $7.11
58 used & new from $1.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Sure, the cables work, but they're not 10 ..., November 8, 2014
Sure, the cables work, but they're not 10 ft. long. When I opened them they were short by 8 inches.

America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't
America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Kindle Version not up to par, January 7, 2013
Sorry to have to give the Kindle version one star, but it really is relevant to the specific Kindle product. Despite the "Kindle Edition" brand-stamped seal of approval, numerous kindle features do not work with this product including font size changes, backlight, and bookmarks. My father's new Kindle Fire (Dec. 2012) can't use any of these features with this title. He's visually impaired and relies on changing font size. What's more, Amazon won't issue a refund after the title has been downloaded. So basically, I bought him a Kindle book that he can't read.

I'm sure the content is great, but since my dad can't read it to tell me, we'll have to leave it there. I've given the feedback directly to Amazon Kindle Technical Support. I encourage other purchasers who've experienced this to do so as well. Apparently anything can be called a "Kindle Edition", regardless of whether it supports Kindle features or not, which is truly unfortunate.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2013 1:05 PM PST

Nathan Clip-On Deluxe L.E.D. Safety Strobe
Nathan Clip-On Deluxe L.E.D. Safety Strobe

2.0 out of 5 stars Turns off when jarred or shocked, February 15, 2011
This review is from: L.e.d. Safety Strobe (Sports)
I purchased these specifically to place on my dog's collar to wear when walking at night. I have found that when my dog runs or shakes her head it jars the batteries loose for just long enough to turn off the unit.

I also wear it to run at night sometimes and have found that just the bounce that results from running is enough to turn the unit off.

I've tried bending the battery prongs in to add a little more tension but it only lasts for a day or so. I've also tried gluing rubber pads to the inside of the reflector to help keep the batteries in place, but to no avail. Nathan would do well to add battery retainers to the plastic mold for the red cap.

It seems the plastic ends of the red reflector cap are not very sturdy either. After a dozen or so uses the plastic has cracked and in one instance given way entirely.

Otherwise, the flasher works as described. But it's really not very strong or useful for any sort of activity that results in any jarring (which is most).

RIGGS WORKWEAR by Wrangler Men's Ranger Pant, Loden,33 x 32
RIGGS WORKWEAR by Wrangler Men's Ranger Pant, Loden,33 x 32
Price: $40.38
5 used & new from $39.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Work and Trail Legwear, July 13, 2010
I was in the market for a good, strong, hiking and trail pant. Most of the options I came across were too heavy, not durable enough, or didn't have the right pockets. I research, but rarely purchase, clothing online, but these weren't on any shelves in my area so I took the risk and ordered a pair through Amazon, thanks to a "no-fee" return offer on them at the time. Though that guarantee turned out to be a bit of a hassle I was very pleased with the purchase and ended up with three pairs, one of each color.
Here is my overall analysis:

Pros:
1) The pants are lighter and more breathable than I expected.
I have other double-knee pants; they are quite heavy. However, these are made of a durable but lightweight cotton weave that breathes very well. Considering all of the extra pockets and associated material (including Cordura-lined back pockets) I was shocked at how light the pants were.
They represent the pants as being rip resistant ("Ripstop" as they say) and while I haven't seen them handle a rip, I am inclined to believe their claim. The particular weave of the cotton suggests that they would be hard to tear.

2) Good pockets and belt loops.
The pockets are strong, well-stitched, and located in the right places. The front hip pockets are deep and made of very strong cotton. Not the thin white cotton found in jeans, these are almost canvas-like; very reliable. As I said above, the rear pockets have thick Cordura on the inside as the lining. I am confident that my shop pencil or combination square will not easily rip through as it has with my work jeans.
The cargo pockets only have fullness on the rear seam, which is smart (the front seam lies flat, which prevents brush from catching easily while on the trail). They area large enough and close with durable snaps that can be opened one-handed, but don't pop open on their own. No buttons to fumble with or weak velcro patches. There is also a cell phone pocket (maybe a little small for some), an exterior "pliers" cargo pocket, and a hammer loop; all on the right side, so Southpaws beware.
The "patented tape measure patch" is kind of a gimmick as it isn't very thick leather and doesn't actually run on the inside of the pocket at all, which is where my tape always grabs and pulls. It covers the outside and the fold at the top of the pocket, but that's it. It's not bad, just doesn't really solve the tape pinching "dilemma."
The seven decent belt loops (including an extra wide center loop in the back) are well-spaced and provide good support and allow ample space for useful additions like binoculars, a flashlight, or a knife (yes, even a belt holster for those who are so inclined).

3) Serious stitching
All of the major seams are triple stitched. All of the secondary ones are double and pretty serious. Most of the single-stitched are not high tension seams (just fullness and folds it seems) and look sturdy. Also the thread is of good quality. See "Cons" below for a side note.

4) Relatively Reasonable Price
I paid [...] per pair (w/ free shipping and return shipping) on Amazon. Wrangler would sell direct at a little cheaper ($37 each I think) with free shipping on orders over $100. But of course, the return shipping would've been on me. So I went with Amazon. That's cheaper than Carhartts and these pants are lighter, have better pockets, and are better for hiking.
However, I recently found these on a shelf at our local hardware mega-center (Menard's, for those who know it) at around $30 per pair. That's a screaming deal. So look for them. You might be able to find a local retailer by going to [...].

Cons:

1) Be aware - Waist measurements seem to be on the low side.
I was thankful for the free return shipping deal, since the pants seem to run on the small side for their waist measurements. All of my other pants are 33s, but for these I needed a 34 to feel comfortable. And no, it wasn't merely wishful thinking on my part, the pants really do run tight in the waist.

2) Made in Mexico
If you're a "Made in the USA" person, these won't fulfill that criteria. But judging by the quality, Wrangler made it clear they wanted good workmanship. If you're simply sick of substandard products from overseas, especially China, these aren't that. Not even close.

3) A couple of single-stitch runs might not hold up.
Here and there, I have found a few stitching errors. Thread tails, needle burps, even one unfinished end. But all of them were in non-critical places. All in all, on three pairs I found 5 or 6 errors TOTAL. I don't know if you can do better than that for assembly-line clothing.

4) The free return shipping required a call to Amazon...twice.
Despite the "automatic" nature of the free return shipping offer from Amazon, both of the pairs that I returned resulted in a return shipping charge on the return amount. This required a call to an Amazon Support rep both times to have return shipping refunded to me as well. The reps were friendly, quick to reverse it, and noted that the return should have been automatic. But since it wasn't twice, it was obviously not something they were going to fix. Realizing that this is not really relevant to the product itself, i did not figure in this factor when giving the four star rating. Nonetheless, you should know it for your own decision.

Overall, very pleased with the purchase. Good, sturdy pants with nice features at a competitive price. They aren't Carhartts, but I didn't really want Carhartts or to pay Crahartt prices . I wish I had waited and bought it locally for the reduced price, but at the time this was as good a deal as I could find.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2012 2:22 PM PDT

Belkin 7-Foot Stereo Link Cable for iPod
Belkin 7-Foot Stereo Link Cable for iPod
3 used & new from $11.67

2.0 out of 5 stars Works poorly with iPod nano 4th generation, July 22, 2009
Functionally, the product worked as intended. My iPod nano 4th Gen was able to send R/L signals to my stereo using this product.
However, they made the housing of the the 3.5mm plug so big, it can't be plugged in at the same time as the USB adapter. So either I can use the iPod with the stereo, or it can be charging via a USB power adapter. But not both. So now I have to remember to perform a cable switch every time I turn on or turn off my iPod.
For those who don't know, iPod nano 4th Gen has the USB and 3.5mm jacks right next to each other on the bottom of the unit.
Some of the blame lies at Apple's feet as they put those two connectors so close. But Belkin made the plug housing far larger than most 3.5mm plugs are these days. Apparently in effort of having a sleek design. I'd rather it work with the highest-selling nano to date.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't flash for long, then broke after 10 throws, July 9, 2009
At first, when we tossed the ball it flashed and buzzed for 1-2 seconds, then turned off. If our dog wasn't fast enough we ended up playing search in the dark. That's how it worked for about 10 throws. Then, suddenly, we threw it again and it stayed on longer...much longer. Permanently, in fact. After 10 full minutes of being stuck on the same single sound and flashing constantly, I found the tab that activates the toy and stuck it back in its slot (with some difficulty) and the ball turned off. Now if I remove the tab, which you must do to play with it, it turns on instantly and doesn't stop...ever.
This is the second one of these we tried, the first didn't work at all. I assumed the batteries were dead, now I'm not so sure.
10 years ago I bought a flash ball similar to this. A little bigger, no noise, about the same price. Light would flash for about 10 seconds, which was plenty of time for a dog to retrieve it and even return it to you. Lasted me about 6 years before the battery died, and that was with constant use. Every dog owner I knew had one. You could find them at any pet store. Well, now they can't be found. Discontinued sometime in the last 3 years. Can't imagine why and it boggles the mind that technology has actually taken a backwards step in the last decade. I was hoping I had found a suitable replacement. Unfortunately, no. I'll be returning this Chinese-made P.O.S. to the store.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't flash for long, then breaks after 10 throws, July 9, 2009
10 years ago I bought a flash ball similar to this. A little bigger, no noise, about the same price. Light would flash for about 10 seconds, which was plenty long for a dog to retrieve it and even return it to you. Lasted me about 6 years before the battery died, and that was with constant use. Every dog owner I knew had one. You could find them at any pet store. Well, now they can't be found. Discontinued sometime in the last 3 years. Can't imagine why and it boggles the mind that technology has actually taken a backwards step in the last decade. I was hoping I had found a suitable replacement. Unfortunately, no. I'll be returning this Chinese-made P.O.S. to the store.

Page: 1 | 2