Profile for TestMagic Inc. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

TestMagic Inc. RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
How to Prepare for the TOEFL Test: Test of English as a Foreign Language with CDROM (Barron's TOEFL IBT (W/CD))
by Pamela J. Sharpe
42 used & new from $0.20

3.0 out of 5 stars The best value in TOEFL prep books, May 27, 2002
If you can only buy one book, this book is your second best choice after the more expensive Longman book (see my review of it on Amazon). This book has a lot of grammar explanations and lots of practice questions. So, it is a great value--the price is low, and you get a lot of questions.
However, the book is not perfect. The book hasn't been updated in many years, and some question types are outdated. Furthermore, many of the questions are easier than the real TOEFL, especially the reading sections. Also, the CD's that come with this edition are NOT software, they are for listening. And this listening is not of very high quality, it's very amateurish.
In short, if you can only buy one book, this one is okay, but the Longman book is much, much better, AND it includes the hands-down BEST practice TOEFL software on the market.

TOEFL Test Preparation Kit with CDROM and Cassette(s) and Other
TOEFL Test Preparation Kit with CDROM and Cassette(s) and Other
by Educational Testing Services
Edition: Audio CD
2 used & new from $349.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best resource of TOEFL practice questions, May 27, 2002
I've reviewed this edition before, and you should be able to see my review below. I'm writing now to complement my previous review.
This edition is essentially a re-packaged version of the previous edition, even if the cover and the graphics look different.
This set is one of the most important sets of practice tests available on the market and is the second most important TOEFL volume to buy after the PowerPrep!! In other words, buy the PowerPrep first, then buy this edition for more practice.
A couple of important points: First, the TOEFL is supposed to undergo major changes in 2004, so if you're not planning to take the test before then, you might not want to get this book. Second, this book contains very few explanations; one of the practice sections of this book has explanations, but TOEFL has used this same "explained test" in all of their publications since 1995. Finally, this publication does NOT contain any computer practice tests--you'll need the PowerPrep for that. The CD-ROM that comes with this set is only a tutorial--the practice is only a few minutes long for each section, and you will NOT get a score.

Gruber's Complete Preparation for the New SAT 8E (Gruber's Complete Preparation for the Sat)
by Gary Gruber
51 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but this is an older version, May 27, 2002
This is the best, most solid SAT-prep out there, and is more thorough than any other book out there. It's a great choice to help you guys reach your full potential on the SAT, but you should be aware that there's a newer edition available, so check that out first.
I'm a professional SAT-prep instructor, and I like this book because it teaches all the little tricks that you need to know to raise your score, AND it gives you all the background stuff you'll need to know to do well on your test, e.g., a comprehensive math review, thousands of words that are likely to appear on the test, etc.
Without a doubt the best SAT-prep book on the market.

Meus Caros Amigos
Meus Caros Amigos
7 used & new from $27.62

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite deserted island CD!!, May 21, 2002
This review is from: Meus Caros Amigos (Audio CD)
This is without a doubt one of my top ten favorite CDs of all time, and I listen to everything from Johnny Cash to Paul Oakenfold to Seal to the Beatles to Edith Piaff.
This CD, as I understand from my time in Brasil, was written during Chico's exile from Brasil and expresses indirectly his dissatisfaction with the Brasilian government at that time.
Chico's sound, quintessentially Brasilian, deftly captures the melancholy and exuberance that define Brasil in its truest sense.
Chico captures the essence of Brasil in this CD, something we should feel is not just Brasilian but human. This is one of the few CDs that can bring a tear to my eye every time I listen...
And "um grande abraco para todos meus amigos brasileiros!!"

GE 72664 Portable AM/FM Radio, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
GE 72664 Portable AM/FM Radio, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but can't lock in on a station!, May 16, 2002
This is a good little radio for the price, I bought three of 'em from Amazon and put them in various locations in my office.
I bought it because the alarm clock radio I was using couldn't lock into the station I listen to all day, and I was looking for a radio that could. A couple of the reviews here said this one could, so I bought three.
This radio, while it does tune in well to a station when you're tuning it, does what pretty much any radio without PLL tuning will do--it'll tune in well, but when you move it, or move yourself, it drifts. Furthermore, I kept one on my desk, and my various office equipment (printer, monitor, etc.) interfere with the signal.
...

Cisco-Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Cable/DSL Router
Cisco-Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Cable/DSL Router
56 used & new from $6.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Eight days, two different machines, and it won't work., May 7, 2002
I was pretty excited about setting up a wireless network at home and did a little research beforehand. I first wanted to go with Linksys, but I realized I was just influenced by all the ads for it that appear here on Amazon. I found a pretty good web site, Practically Networked (search for it), and this product didn't get great reviews; products made by other companies fared better.
I went with it, though, when I found it for a good price.
I'm pretty good with tech stuff, I maintain a web page and maintain/fix several computers as part of my business. However, I found the set up for this router quite confusing. First, the instructions told me to connect with a cable before I started to use the wireless capabilities!! How ridiculous--I bought a wireless router because I don't have Ethernet cards!
Their tech support told me a wireless Ethernet card would work, though, so I proceeded to set it up. Good, but I had to make a call to Linksys to find this out. On the plus side, I only had to wait a minute to get through.
I bought three products at once--this Linksys router, a Linksys PCI Ethernet card, and a Netgear PCMCIA Ethernet card. It's interesting to compare my experience with the Linksys router with that of the Netgear network card. The instructions for the Netgear were much clearer and intuitive--the instructions were written intelligently. The Netgear card installed very easily, without problem.
To make a long story short, after eight nights of trying after work, and about forty tech support calls to Linksys and my ISP, after downloading the firmware update, I couldn't get my router to connect with my modem (by DirecTV). I tried on two different machines, an IBM ThinkPad, and a generic PC, both running Win98, following the instructions to a T, checking and double-checking all the little numbers that we have to enter to get it working. I don't know whether there's a problem with my ISP (DirecTV) or my machines or the router, software, etc., but the bottom line is that it wouldn't work!
I did learn a couple of important things--first, as of this week, the latest version says "V2" on the front. The salesguy at the store I bought it from incorrectly told me that it was the latest version when I bought this. I also learned that with DirecTV, you have to call them to reset your modem for the Ethernet port if you are using the USB connection, and vice versa. In other words, both connections are not "live" at the same time, only one is.
Another funny thing happened--as I said, I bought two network cards, a Linksys and a Netgear. The Netgear could connect with the router no problem, but the Linksys could not connect with the Linksys router!
Finally, the range of this router was unimpressive. With the Netgear card, I could get a 50% signal from one floor away from the router. The Linksys card was worse--with the router ten feet away, I got a 30% signal. With the router four feet away, I got a 70% signal.
I don't know whether my problems were bad luck or hardware problems. I'm going to return this router and try another brand and see what happens.

Ao Vivo Le Zenith Paris
Ao Vivo Le Zenith Paris
21 used & new from $3.00

2.0 out of 5 stars It's in the bargain bins in Brazil, January 17, 2002
This review is from: Ao Vivo Le Zenith Paris (Audio CD)
In Brazil, Chico is considered the greatest living musician, is known for his reclusive mannner, and rarely releases new music.
When he does, however, it's big news, and we all love it. Because he releases little new music, most of the CDs you'll see for sale are collections of his past songs, and most of these collections do not have the same energy or cohesiveness of his original releases.
One of my absolute favorite CDs of all time is Meus Caros Amigos. This CD captures everything I love about Brazil--the sort of jubilant, yet irreverent, melancholy that describes both the passion and the "loss of hope" that you feel if you live in Brazil.
I hate to say it, but this is simply NOT one of Chico's best. Chico is one of my favorite Brazilian artists, but it's pretty much common knowledge in Brazil that this CD is not one of his classics--you can find it in all the bargain bins in the CD stores in Brazil. At every party I ever went to in Brazil, nobody ever played this CD; they always played his other ones. In fact, I started to notice that this was the one CD that never got played. I've listened to the CD many times, but each time I'm convinced that it's not Chico's best.
You've got to be careful with a lot of these releases--they are often a mix of songs that've been released before, essentially "greatest hits" compilations.
Go for the originals!! They are the best!!

Kaplan GMAT With CD-ROM, Fifth Edition (Gmat (Kaplan)(Book & Cdrom))
Kaplan GMAT With CD-ROM, Fifth Edition (Gmat (Kaplan)(Book & Cdrom))
by Kaplan
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best GMAT prep book you can buy--the CD-ROM is awesome!!, December 26, 2001
First, if you are unfamiliar with the GMAT, here's a quick overview of the test: The GMAT consists of three sections: one verbal section, one math section, and the essays. In the verbal section, you'll have 41 questions consisting of approximately equal parts of reading, grammar, and something GMAT calls `critical reasoning.' You will see three or four reading passages (like those on most standardized tests), some grammar questions (which require you to figure out what is the best way to put a sentence in English), and some critical reasoning questions, which are basically logic questions.
The GMAT, like the GRE and the TOEFL, is an "adaptive" test. This means that the test is designed to feed you questions that it has determined to be at your level. For example, your first question will be a medium difficulty question; if you answer that one correctly, you'll either receive another medium-difficulty or a hard question. As you continue to answer questions correctly, you'll get hard questions on the test. Conversely, if you start to miss questions, you'll get easier questions. This new format may not seem that important, but in fact, it is important to consider this when you are talking to other people about the test. Essentially, almost everybody who takes the test will say the same thing: "Whew! That was hard!" The test is hard because the software is giving you hard questions. So, when you read other reviews of GMAT books and questions, you need to keep in mind that people are commenting on the level of difficulty of the practice questions in different books compared to their GMAT, and your GMAT will likely be different. So, in a word, it's important to get a book with a wide range of questions of differing difficulty levels.
Here's what you'll see on the GMAT: On the math section, you'll see 37 questions. You only need to know algebra and geometry to answer these questions, but some of them are pretty tricky. There is no trigonometry or calculus on the GMAT. Some of the questions that you will have to answer are `data sufficiency' questions. These questions present you with some information, and you have to decide whether a math problem can be solved with this information.
Finally, the GMAT requires you to write two essays; one of them is a standard essay, and the other one requires you to analyze the reasoning of an argument (most schools pay more attention to your verbal and math scores than they do to your essay scores, though). All in all, the test will take you at least three and a half hours to finish, pretty long for most of us!!
Now, about the Kaplan book. This book is without a doubt the best prep book available to the general public. There are other materials available, like the materials Kaplan and Princeton Review use in their courses, but you can only get those if you join their courses or buy them used from an on-line auction site (not too hard to find, believe it or not!!). I like this book more than the Princeton Review because this book has more practice and it's material is more in line with what you'll probably see on the GMAT. The Princeton Review contains some material that is not quite the same as what is now appearing on the GMAT.
If you are considering buying this book, do yourself a favor and get the one with the CD-ROM. It is, without a doubt, the best tool you can buy to train you on the GMAT and is easily worth the price of the book. Personally, I don't care for the navigation system of the software. When you first load it, a little man in a flannel shirt appears and starts talking to you, asking you how you'd like to prepare. Although menu options like those we see in most Windows applications appear later, they do not at first. If you hit escape a couple of times, you can get away from this well-meaning guy and go right into doing the exercises. The thing about the CD-ROM is that it has much more material than the book does--more exercises, more explanations, and more practice questions. One final important note about the CD-ROM, though: It "learns" your strengths and weaknesses and adapts itself accordingly. Therefore, if you use it for a long time and improve a lot, you might not get the hardest questions available to you. If you uninstall and reinstall the software to erase the data that it has recorded on your abilities, you can start afresh. Also, this means that the CD-ROM is designed to work with only one student, so you shouldn't share it with a friend.
The general technique of this book is to introduce you to the most common question types. In each section of the book, you will learn what kinds of questions GMAT likes to put on their tests and the rules and strategies for how to solve those questions correctly. This technique is a great start for getting used to the test, but in truth, you will probably need to study more after you finish this book; just this book is not enough for you to get an idea of the broad range of question types that you could see on the real GMAT. For this purpose, you cannot go wrong with the Official Guide for GMAT Review, or you could just download the practice software for free from the official GMAT web site.
Finally, if you are pretty good at math, you will find that most of the practice questions you've seen are too easy. However, the math questions contained in this book and its CD-ROM, you'll get questions that are just as hard or harder than those you'll see on the real test; the questions in other books (even the official GMAT book) are easier than the questions you'll see on the real GMAT if you are scoring in 90th percentile or above.
This book also contains a good math review, essay information, information on how to apply to B-schools, and general test-taking strategies (like how to grid your answers on your scratch paper--remember, we cannot mark the questions directly, since we are taking the test on a computer). However, unlike the Kaplan and Princeton Review GMAT verbal review books, it does not contain a grammar review.
A final note. This edition (the fifth) is printed on high-quality bond paper (shiny white!), not cheap newsprint, which gives the user a nice, happy feeling!

The Official Guide for Gmat Review
The Official Guide for Gmat Review
by Educational Testing Service Staff
46 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The MOST important GMAT book to buy!!, December 26, 2001
Getting ready to take the GMAT? This book will give you a good idea of what to expect on the test. First, if you are unfamiliar with the test, the GMAT consists of three sections: one verbal section, one math section, and the essays. In the verbal section, you'll have 41 questions consisting of approximately equal parts of reading, grammar, and something GMAT calls `critical reasoning.' You will see three or four reading passages (like those on most standardized tests), some grammar questions (which require you to figure out what is the best way to put a sentence in English), and some critical reasoning questions, which are basically logic questions.

Now, about this book. BEFORE you buy a test prep book, BEFORE you take a test prep class, BEFORE you buy other books, you need this book. This is simply the best book on the market, and the only one that contains official questions. (An important note: If you want to save some money, and don't mind the inconvenience of reading the questions in the software, you can actually download the official GMAT software for free from the official web site; all the questions that appear in this book also appear in the free software. The main difference is that you don't have the same easy access to the questions that you have when you buy the book).
I have been using this book, and its predecessor the 9th edition, for several years and can offer these comments:
FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT: The questions in this book are generally EASIER than the questions you'll see on the real test, especially the math questions. In the last year or so, GMAT has started including more probability and permutations questions on the real GMAT, especially for people who are scoring pretty high in math, and you won't find too many of these types of questions in this book. If you are really good at math, the questions in this book will most likely seem too easy for you. For harder math questions, I highly recommend the Kaplan book with the CD-ROM (make sure you get the book with the CD-ROM--the hard questions are contained on the CD-ROM, not in the book).
One of the best things about this book is simply that it doesn't contain typos, or at least very few (I haven't found any yet, but there might be one or two; there was at least one obvious one in the previous edition). This may seem a minor point, but imagine that you are studying hard, you are confused, and you go to check your answer, and the answer is listed incorrectly. You may not realize it, but many of the books from Kaplan, Princeton Review, Barron's, Peterson's, etc., are FULL of typos, especially in the answers listed in the backs of the books.
Whew! That's a lot of info, huh? I hope it's helped. Good luck on your test, and trust me--this is the first book you should buy!!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Good power, but poorly made, December 22, 2001
The first day I got this little laser, I was disappointed; it just doesn't look as good when you see it as it does in the picture. The paint is cheap enamel, not smooth steel, as you might think from the photo.
Right away, the pointer started to have problems. I put in the two watch batteries (which, although small, will cost you a lot more in the long run than the AAA batteries used in most other laser pointers) to use it, and it wouldn't work. I thought it was broken. Then, a few minutes later, I tried again, and it worked. I've realized now that I have to hit it on the table a few times when I need to use it.
The main head doesn't screw on very tightly--there aren't enough screw threads to keep it attached. In the first week, the head fell off, and I haven't been able to find it since then, so now I have an even uglier little laser pointer.
On the up side, the laser beam is pretty strong. At night, I can put a spot on the buildings 100 or 200 feet away, but since I use my pointer almost every day in class, this one was a waste of money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7