Profile for Michelle Pettit > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 103

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michelle Pettit RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Touchy Feely
Touchy Feely
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable actors, unresolved film, February 27, 2014
Abby is a free-spirited massage therapist. Her unemotional brother Paul owns a failing dental practice. Their connections/disconnections suddenly flip: Abby develops an aversion to bodily contact and Paul seems to suddenly have healing touch.

What was good about this film was the actors' ability and the light-hand of the camera and editing. I enjoyed and had empathy for the characters' weaknesses and strengths and how they related to one another. I was enchanted by Josh Pais and Scoot McNairy specifically. They were delightful, understated. All the characters were primarily gentle and good people, but not perfect (of course) -- and all trying to find their way.

I was also glad to see Reiki depicted in a movie. It was the first time I saw it portrayed in a fictional story.

I think the film felt unresolved (not necessarily in a good way which can sometimes be the case -- but in an unfinished way) I don't like to have meanings spoon-fed to me, but a bit more insight into what had happened to these people (as understood or not understood by them) would have been welcome at the end and would have made it a five-star movie for me.

I'm going to watch it a second time with director's comments. Maybe I'll get some glimpses that way.

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE FILM: Did anyone else wonder if Jenny (the Ellen Page character) might have been the one with the healing touch, not her father? Or did you wonder if the healing touch had been passed from Abby to one of them?)

It is worth a second view to me to get more a sense of what was going on, to see if the movie was just that subtle. Perhaps "Touchy Feely" presents no answers? (But then I expect more answers and resolution from fiction than from real life!)

The Bunny Who Wanted A Friend
The Bunny Who Wanted A Friend
by Joan Berg
7 used & new from $7.75

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful little story and illustrations, August 21, 2012
"The Bunny who wanted a friend" is about a little rabbit named Charles. (The copy I have was printed by Golden Press in 1966, but has a dust jacket and is 5-1/2 inches by 7 inches...it does not look like the traditional "Golden Books". It has a charming, vintage feel...both the books and the illustrations.)

"Charles was all alone. Charles had no one to sit with him when he ate his dinner. He had no one to wish him pleasant dreams when he went to bed." The illustrations, combined with the words, are nearly enough to make a person cry from the bittersweet loneliness of the little bunny.

SPOILER ALERT: Charles goes search of a friend, but has to give up his search when he comes across an injured bird. You may be able to predict where the story goes from here...

It is a shame such a lovely book was given a bad review because of the copy that was received was in poor shape. That isn't a book review.

Everything Unwritten
Everything Unwritten

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserving of Love, August 15, 2012
This wonderful novella by Julia Kanno deserves a reading. The book features an "odd couple" -- a young male escort and a middle-aged teacher. I appreciated the human vulnerability they shared once some walls broke down between them. I'm glad this was a story with interesting characters, not cliches. I have the feeling the hinted-at responses between them are not over and the story between them will continue with connections beyond each of their solitudes and isolation. I only wish the story continued. Please tell more of their story, Ms. Kanno, the human element in your story is rare.

Kitchen Privileges
Kitchen Privileges
DVD ~ Katharina Wressnig
Offered by newtownvideos
Price: $4.00
58 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars psychological dynamic, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Kitchen Privileges (DVD)
There is psychological tension in this movie because things happen under the surface, particularly in the performance of Peter Sarsgaard. Although we know there's something dark and troubling about Tom (Sarsgaard's character), there is also his attachment and care for Marie. There is identification, companionship and love; counterweighed against suspicions. The movie itself has a paranoid feeling -- very reflective of the kind of life the character Marie is living. Through the movie we are given the feeling of not being sure who to trust; not feeling anyone can be trusted. Our heads tell us one thing and our hearts another.

The movie is slow, especially in the beginning. (but for people who automatically think slow pace is negative, it isn't always so. For those who enter the undercurrent of the movie and give it time and attention, there's a payoff to it, much of which is in Sarsgaard's performance)

This movie had unfortunate marketing. The cover art of the DVD, and the genre -- horror -- does not fit. No blood, gore, or scares. People who would like the movie might not give it a chance, because they don't like horror films. Horror fans probably won't like it at all...well, because it isn't a horror movie.

The Twelve Houses
The Twelve Houses

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep and broad vision, April 30, 2011
This review is from: The Twelve Houses (Kindle Edition)
Over the years I've had my chart done a couple times. Now that I`ve read this book I see why I felt those charts were lacking. What you see is determined by how you see and your particular beliefs, assumptions and feelings.

The way this relates to Sasportas is that I felt in this book I received a fuller vision that had humor, balance, and that took various nuances in consideration as well as a deeper psychological feeling. He also helped me see better the value and lessons of the parts of my chart I was resisting and weren`t as easy for me to like or accept. These challenges are expanded into opportunities in his vision.

In addition to all this Sasportas is enjoyable to read. He`s an interesting writer whose passion gives his words momentum and life. It seemed so appropriate and timely that I happened on his work now. He`s a broad thinker of ideas and feeling and psychological nuance.

Lady Chatterley (Extended European Edition)
Lady Chatterley (Extended European Edition)
DVD ~ Marina Hands
Price: $25.96
25 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The revealing of one person to another, March 28, 2011
My first thoughts when watching Ferran Pascale's "Lady Chatterley" were:

1) What a beautiful world to inhabit. Is it a coincidence that Marina Hands looks a bit like Audrey Tautou in Amelie? And that the contrast of her crushed red velvet suit against the lush green forest also seems a bit like Amelie's red/green contrasting color-range? Maybe this is a French sensibility for beauty?

2) Why is it taking so long for Connie and Parkin to touch? I know it is coming. When. When. When. Okay, maybe now. No. Okay.

3) Why is Mellors called Parkin? Why is he built more like a boxer than the thin and young aesthetic man I was expecting?

In answer to my last two issues -- I am glad that the beginning was long and drawn out. The time it takes to get to the first touch builds the tension and lets us in to their experience.

And Jean-Louis Coullo'ch as Parkin won me over in a big way. By the time Constance and Parkin are in the middle of their love affair, I am smitten. The look in his eyes and his inner core vulnerability propel the emotional story.

Also, something other reviewers hadn't mentioned yet, the supporting cast is wonderful, especially in the extended European cut of this movie, where they are given more time to flesh out their roles. No one is a villain. Yes, Hippolyte Girardot's Clifford is cold and distant. But his pride is hurt as much as his body. I enjoyed seeing his interactions with Mrs. Bolton. With Mrs. Bolton he found someone that would look up to him and who he could mentor and teach, and who would nurture him.

Marina Hand's performance is generous and subtle. She allows us to recognize ourselves in what she experiences. The connection and chemistry between the characters is compelling.

This Constance and Parkin relationship is about the honest revealing of one person to another. With each encounter they learn more about each other.

Director Pascale Ferran mentioned in the extra features that she was going for truthfulness in sensation and being in the moment. That is rare to see in movies, although people are hungry for it. Part of the way it is achieved is in taking the time to inhabit the world.

Kidkraft Suite Elite Kitchen
Kidkraft Suite Elite Kitchen
Offered by VMInnovations
Price: $129.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and cute kitchen, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Kidkraft Suite Elite Kitchen (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Suite Elite Kitchen assembly took approximately 2 hours -- put it together without assistance, although assistance is also available at a 800 number. The resulting play kitchen is really cute -- and the little girls in our family love it (a 3 year old and a 1-1/2 year old) I bought them a few real bowls, a small frying pan and wooden spoons to get into the use of the kitchen. (nothing like that is supplied)

The girls love that the dials click when you turn them. They love to open and close the cupboards, talk about what they are going to make, and pretend to talk on the phone. The play kitchen is a great traditional toy in that their imaginations are engaged and the children provide a lot of the action. I am glad of that as I get frustrated with most toys on the market that simply have a button for a child to press and then the toy lights up or says something ... (in those cases, what is there for the child to do?)

The few ideas I have are to have a timer that dings on the play oven, and a magnet-front to the refrigerator so the kids can use refrigerator magnets like the grown-ups.

Everybody's Story: Wising Up to the Epic of Evolution (Suny Series in Philosophy and Biology)
by Loyal D. Rue
Price: $17.64
54 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars All of Life -- a Shared Story, September 27, 2010
Loyal Rue's book reminds me of some of the old history books in my library. We begin at the beginning. In this case, the very beginning. What is life? How did life come to exist? What is consciousness?

When Professor Rue goes so far to ask a physicist friend, "What is matter?" -- he finds that most people, even physicists, don't ask these questions. What is matter? "Matter is what everything is."

Rue is a true philospher. To me, this means he asks basic questions (the basic questions most people don't think to ask) and follows up with answers that offer a new perspective. Rue's answers can feel surprising and feel right at the same time.

I like the surprises in "Everybody's Story" such as "Self-esteem is a wild card." Who would have thought that high self-esteem can lead us to abuse the planet, our resources, and each other? Of course, I'm really radically simplifying this idea, but I wanted to mention it because it is a unique way to look at the dilemmas of the people sharing this planet. (Sharing isn't really the right word, as we haven't been "sharing" very well) If I have lots of ambition and want to succeed, what might that do to the balance of life, especially if the only way for me to succeed is to step on someone else?

The question I have after reading "Everybody's Story" is: What if we take a step further out and view the story that everyone shares from a distance past the limits of scientific beliefs and explanations. For me scientific theories are more stories, more textual and contextual explanations. Science just happens to be the unifying story that most of the people on the planet put their trust in right now.

I think "the universe is made of stories not atoms." (Muriel Rukeyser) The difference between this time in history and the time before is that we really are living on "a small world after all" -- a world that is interconnected for vitality and well-being and completely vulnerable.

The world is also different in that now we may realize that we are story-making and story-believing creatures. That words have power. That we shouldn't believe everything that everyone tells us. That we have choices. That we can keep asking questions. That we should keep asking questions.

I'm not satisfied with the end of the book because it isn't long enough. I wish Professor Rue had pursued his theme further.

I wonder if the author is familiar with the scientific explorations of Rupert Sheldrake and his take on them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2012 4:32 PM PDT

How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack: Defend Yourself When the Lawn Warriors Strike (And They Will)
by Chuck Sambuchino
Price: $10.53
138 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Quit being so plausible, September 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I gave this book a couple chances and read it through at more than once, thinking, hmmm, maybe I wasn't in the right mindset to enjoy it the first time.

This is a well-written book. And in its defense, humor is difficult, and completely subjective. Someone else may think this book is a riot.

I get where the author is going, but there is no real punch. I do not FEEL any threat. There is nothing invested in the clever machinations of garden gnomes. What do they do to us? Why? What's in it for them?

The author took the humor too seriously and tried too hard. Most of the book is focused around signs that will tell you a garden gnome has been up to no good: your toolbox has been raided -- your dog barks at things that "aren't" there. All these things could plausibly happen. And this is where the humor falls flat.

Humor isn't about being plausible. We need over-the-top threats. We need more nefarious purposes. This book plays it too safe. If this book had been about clowns I would have had more of a psychological reaction (and thus, enjoyment). I think more people relate to the fear of clowns. Is there any real fear of garden gnomes to play with and write about? If there is, I haven't heard about it.

The book could be a charming gift for people who have a wacky and mainly warm sense of humor -- and who also have garden gnomes lurking in their yard.

Homeostasis Labs Weight Loss Relief, 50-Count
Homeostasis Labs Weight Loss Relief, 50-Count
Offered by OTCRX4U
Price: $7.15
3 used & new from $6.88

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm...maybe will work better for others, September 9, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I took the HomeoStasis Labs Weight Loss Relief tabs for 3 days in a row. The product is advertised as homeopathic with effects of increasing metabolism, controling cravings, reducing obesity in adipose tissue, relieving stomach pains, and reducing obesity caused by water retention.

Active ingredients are calcarea carbonica, ferrum metallicum, graphites, kali caronica, and natrum muriaticum. Perhaps someone with more background in homeopathic remedies will know these names and purposes and have a better understanding than I do.

My previous homeopathic remedy experiences is limited to belladona for headaches (which worked for me)

My physical reaction in trying this product -- I had heat flushes. I don't think I'm going through menopause early! I think I was burning hotter. So it was doing something...I also seemed more jittery and didn't sleep as well. I discontinued because I felt "off" -- not myself.

My concern is that homeopathic remedies are not a "one-size-fit-all" strategy. It think homeopathy is valuable -- and I will continue to look into homeopathic remedies as needs arise. I hope to find a homepathic practitioner in my area. I think working with someone who has experience and training is the way to go.

(It is important to remember that these remedies are not as tightly regulated as conventional medicines. Each person's pain and physiology is unique and therefore a remedy that works for one person may not work very well for someone else.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11