Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Richard Maggiani > Reviews

Browse

Richard Maggiani's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Maggiani RSS Feed (Essex, Vermont USA)

Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars No Courageous Acts that I Can See, July 3, 2014
Okay, I was hanging in there with his hawkish views on war and being in Iraq, as if we started that war to restructure their democracy, and even hung in there through the terrible non-editing. I wanted to read what he would say at an insider level. But, when he got to the part of the three most courageous acts by a sitting President, I stopped. After reading Gates say that W signing the bill to start the surge in Iraq was a selfless courageous act, I literally became nauseous. Deleted from Kindle and on to better things. I suggest you don't even start, unless of course you feel the war in Iraq was just (??!).

Word Up! How to Write Powerful Sentences and Paragraphs (And Everything You Build from Them)
by Marcia Riefer Johnston
Price: $16.14
47 used & new from $6.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep this book handy, April 18, 2014
I’m a writer who doesn’t like rules. In fact, I abhor rules. I break them whenever I can. When writing, I apply this philosophy as much as I can. Still, I understand that there are many times when I shouldn’t break the rules when I write. But because of my abhorrence toward rules, I tend to forget them. Which, of course, means that when I need to apply them, I have to look them up. A lot. It stands to reason, then, that Word Up! piqued my interest. Could I rely on it to solve my constant rule questions? So I tested it. And I tested it again. And again. And every time I did, I solved my rule problem. It was all in there. And it was fun. I even found myself looking up rules just to refresh my spotty memory. In fact, it was so helpful, I moved the book from the bookshelf at the back of my office to the shelving unit above my desk. I needed it to be easily accessible. You will too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 12:32 AM PDT

Business Matters: A Freelancer's Guide to Business Success in Any Economy
Business Matters: A Freelancer's Guide to Business Success in Any Economy
by Elizabeth Frick
Price: $24.95
34 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book, January 27, 2014
It was easy to start reading Business Matters. After all, the first chapter is only a little over four pages long. A nice little break from my work. And it was, except… I couldn’t put it down. I just kept reading. Bette has a wonderful way to telling stories to discuss her topics, and those stories just kept me going.

Those stories wove some deep insights into the life of a freelance entrepreneur. Being an entrepreneur myself (almost 25 years), I had to chuckle at many of her insights (I’d been there), and marvel at her clarity. In many ways, I’ve been on a path similar to Bette. Throughout the book, I kept nodding in agreement at her thoughts, at the way she gave me new perspective on many issues, and at the way she finely analyzed the myriad of topics. Some books are a struggle and others are simply a joy. Bette’s is pure joy.

In the end, I wish that I had read this book 25 years ago. And you? If this is your path, you should read it now.

Presentation Skills 201: How to Take It to the Next Level as a Confident, Engaging Presenter
by William R Steele
Price: $13.40
57 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper for your personal library, May 23, 2010
I have well over a dozen books on presentation skills (including Zen, Jobs, and Weissman) and Presentation Skills 201 is one of the best. This book is no nonsense, just sound advice to elevate your presentation skills. I keep referring to it over and over. So will you.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong from the start, February 15, 2008
When I read a new author, I need things to kick in from the start (there's just too much to read in the world), and "Following Tuna" doesn't disappoint. Only a few pages! I'm waiting for more.