Profile for NYC Dubious > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

NYC Dubious RSS Feed (East Coast of the United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film "The Imitation Game"
Alan Turing: The Enigma: The Book That Inspired the Film "The Imitation Game"
by Andrew Hodges
Price: $10.17
85 used & new from $8.97

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is excellent — ought to be five stars, December 4, 2014
The book is excellent — ought to be five stars. But the edition has terribly small type, hence the low-ball rating. The index and quoted passages are in type even smaller than the regular type, and it's painful to read. Unhappy!

SUS-503-KHAKI Airport Friendly Suspender
SUS-503-KHAKI Airport Friendly Suspender
Offered by BuyYourTies
Price: $25.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient but not really airport-friendy, July 8, 2014
These suspenders are convenient to wear, with all-plastic hardware that I find a little easier to use than the metal kind. But they are not "airport-friendly" — I'm always asked to remove them by TSA staff. The plastic is apparently dense enough to show up as suspicious on current airport scanners.

Men's BURGUNDY SUSPENDERS Y Shape Back Elastic Button & Clip Convertible
Men's BURGUNDY SUSPENDERS Y Shape Back Elastic Button & Clip Convertible
Offered by Choosy Shopper
Price: $8.75
6 used & new from $5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap junk, made in China despite "Italy" on the box, July 8, 2014
The color is nice, but this item is prominently labelled "Italy" when in fact it's made -- cheaply made -- in China. There's a small "Made in China" on the back. The black parts of the suspenders are the cheapest imaginable plastic. I think they're severely overpriced and I wouldn't have bought them if I'd know how shoddy they are.

Men's CORAL PINK SUSPENDERS Y Shape Back Elastic Button & Clip Convertible
Men's CORAL PINK SUSPENDERS Y Shape Back Elastic Button & Clip Convertible
Offered by Krisar Enterprises
Price: $24.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap junk, made in China despite "Italy" on box, July 8, 2014
The color is nice, but Vesuvio Napoli suspenders are prominently labelled "Italy" on the front of the box when in fact they're made -- and very cheaply made -- in China. There's a small "Made in China" on the back of the item. The black parts of the suspenders are the cheapest imaginable plastic and I think they're badly overpriced for what you get. I wouldn't have bought them had I known this.

Omron 7 Series Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron 7 Series Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
Price: $46.99
139 used & new from $46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fluctuations in the readings, December 31, 2013
This machine is not difficult to use, and although what you have to do before you take a reading is a little different from what you might expect, there are clear instructions. But I was interested in the number of reviewers who reported great variations in the results, so I decided to do some measurements on myself.

I took fifteen readings over a number of minutes, carefully following the directions as to how to use the monitor. These readings averaged 105/68 with a standard deviation 4. I think it is reasonable to allow one standard deviation above and below the average as the tolerance of a convenient, small tool like this. Is it too much to say to myself, "The reading I have taken is likely to be within ±4 of the actual reading"? Two standard deviations, or ±8% of the actual reading, covers all the cases.

Is it meaningful to expect blood pressure measurement to be more accurate than that?

Safety Stands
Safety Stands

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly satisfactory; here is advice on how to protect the paint, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Safety Stands (Misc.)
For use with a barbell, these seem to be the best value for money -- easy to move around and quite sturdy.

I have had no problems with stability, but I am using them with less than 100 lbs. You need two 9/16 wrenches or good pliers to tighten the four assembly bolts, but there is very little to do other than that.

In order to keep the paint from chipping on the "reducer sleeves" (the vertical bars that support the barbell), as well as to prevent unnecessary noise, I put down a layer of Felt Gard on each -- that is not quite 1/4" thick, though I suppose it will compress over time. The dimensions are 2"x16" for each sleeve. The four "catches" (raised ends to prevent a barbell from rolling off the edge of the sleeve) require less than 2"x0.5" apiece after the horizontal sleeve surface has been covered -- I used the trimmings for that.

Medialink Easy Setup Wireless Router, Repeater & Range Extender (300 Mbps)
Medialink Easy Setup Wireless Router, Repeater & Range Extender (300 Mbps)
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $39.99
31 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars amazingly easy to set up - but never worked correctly, March 1, 2011
I found this little router exceptionally easy to set up, even with a number of complications on my end - port forwarding, MAC address restrictions, static LAN addresses, etc.

Customer support was also very easy to reach. What a change from LinkSys!

******

Two months on: I ended up abandoning this router because of continual problems with computers and printers being dropped from the wireless network. Customer support sent me two free replacements, trying to help me solve the problem, and I really can't fault their efforts. But the bottom line was than none of the three machines worked correctly. In fact, one of them did not work at all. And as kind as customer support was, in the end they weren't able solve my problems, nor to deal with other issues in the router's firmware, such as the fact that the time zone didn't set correctly.

I suspect the office I spoke to in the US is distributing a foreign-made machine that they are not actually actively developing, themselves.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2013 10:34 PM PDT

Cisco-Linksys  WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router
Cisco-Linksys WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router
14 used & new from $15.95

1.0 out of 5 stars ugh! never again, February 26, 2011
I bought one of these to replace another failed LinkSys wireless router. Almost immediately, it started failing intermittently. I returned it and bought the same model from a different store. It, too, started failing soon. I made do with it for a number of months, until (I find) the warranty is just expired, but it's now utterly dead and I really regret having bought it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars overpriced and useless, August 2, 2010
This book contains little more than a list of definitions, printed on every other page. If I had been able to see the content, I would not have ordered it.

Sakura 30081 Pigma Micron Blister Card 005 Ink Pen, 0.20-mm, Black
Sakura 30081 Pigma Micron Blister Card 005 Ink Pen, 0.20-mm, Black
Price: $5.62
27 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite product, excessive Amazon shipping fee, April 6, 2010
I adore these pens, which I found ideal for doing linguistic fieldwork in the Chinese countryside, where the paper was rough and could clog ballpoints and Rapidographs, and where unexpected rain and unavoidable humidity (and the occasional fall into water) could affect non-indelible inks. Now that I'm not doing fieldwork so much, I still use them for taking notes. I love the feel of them in my hand, and the sensation that I am using a precision instrument.

I like the seller's price of $1.19 per pen, too.

What I don't like is how Amazon tacks on $4.95 *per* *pen*! I would like to buy 10 or 12 of these pens, but not when the shipping brings them to more than $6 apiece. That's outrageous! $4.95 ought to cover shipping for the whole order, more or less. Amazon, you've just priced me out of your market, sorry to say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2010 10:36 PM PDT