Profile for E. A. Montgomery > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 729

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. A. Montgomery RSS Feed (Florida, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Girl from Human Street: Ghosts of Memory in a Jewish Family
The Girl from Human Street: Ghosts of Memory in a Jewish Family
by Roger Cohen
Price: $20.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow read, dark due to subject matter, December 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The word that comes to mind is overwritten. Writing about a difficult things - his family's personal history, Jewish survival and guilt, mental illness, racism - the author tries to use beautiful language. It's distracting, wading thriugh his carefully selected words to tease out the narrative. Where a more direct report on these events would be most powerful, Cohen goes for the recent fashion of memoirs that slide around in time. It's not to my personal taste. Fans of the recent memoir by Charles Blow will love Cohen's book but I failed to connect with it. Four stars instead of three because readers who are not turned off by the writing style will find original material.

Mark of the Thief (Praetor War)
Mark of the Thief (Praetor War)
by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Price: $14.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid start to new series, December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My kids and I enjoyed Nielsen's prior trilogy and I wondered if their interest would hold in a different time setting. Here's the 5th grader's take:

"This book is really good. I love fantasy books, but I've never read one set in Rome. I wish it was longer, and it was mildly annoying that they had to connect [redacted] and [redacted] as relatives. Even though I understand why they did it, because it makes it logical that they both have magic in them, a lot of good books have gotten uninteresting to me because they set connecting the characters as their top priority. If more of the characters are connected in the sequel, I might not read it all the way through. But besides that, the griffin and rest of characters I really liked."

Mark of the Thief is more interested in action than world building, which I think is perfect for this age group. There's enough backstory to keep the reader going without bogging the story down in excessive information. There were a number of questions from the kids about how Roman slavery differed from American slavery. The underused time period (early Rome) added some depth to what's really another magical kid series. Nielsen is worth reading.

Caudabe: The Veil iPhone 6 (4.7") Premium Ultra Thin Case (Frost)
Caudabe: The Veil iPhone 6 (4.7") Premium Ultra Thin Case (Frost)
Offered by Caudabe
Price: $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Scratch protection, that's it!, December 13, 2014
When I opened this I thought I was going to return it - it feels and looks cheap in the hand, but on the phone I changed my mind. This is not a protective case, this is solely to prevent scratches without adding width to the iPhone. For that, it's close to perfect. There is a slightly raised area solely around the camera lens, everywhere else the case adds no perceptible weight or thickness. It wraps around to the face of the phone easily and without blocking access to the screen. All buttons are open and easy to touch, there is no interference with docking or plugs. Keeping this from five stars are two problems - the case has a seam running down the side that is visually invisible but abrasive to my fingers. Most of the time I don't notice it, but when I do I hate it. The material is a packaging style plastic, so when I removed it to test another case and replaced it I noticed a white crease mark had appeared. Also, I don't find it offers any additional grip. I wanted something extremely thin for scratch protection only and this would be five stars if not for fragility and the side seam. As it is, a very good temporary case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 6:47 PM PST

Belkin Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad mini, and iPod touch 7th Gen, 4 Feet (Black)
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Smaller profile than competitors, but not as small as Apple, December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second Belkin cord, the other lasted about 18 months with rough treatment. I prefer the Belkin to the Monster or Griffin cords because of the smaller profile. This fits with more of my device cases than the other brands. The length is perfect for plugging in behind a sofa or bed to create a charging location where my outlets are less accessible.

Winegard Company FL-5000 FlatWave HDTV Indoor Digital Flat Antenna - Made in USA
Price: Click here to see our price
31 used & new from $23.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to hook up, worked, December 9, 2014
Easy installation, picked up the channels I used to get on broadcast. Good option for cord cutting.

Sharpie 1747388 Stainless Steel Fine Point Permanent Marker
Sharpie 1747388 Stainless Steel Fine Point Permanent Marker
Price: $6.89
28 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift idea, December 9, 2014
This product amused me so much at first but then it made a lot of sense. It looks nicer on the desk or in a pocket than the standard grey plastic Sharpie so why not? Closes well, good balance, ordered a second for a gift.

Whirlpool 8572270 Screen for Dryer
Whirlpool 8572270 Screen for Dryer
Offered by PANDORA'S OEM APPLIANCE PARTS
Price: $35.67
10 used & new from $27.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Correctly sized, December 9, 2014
Fit perfectly, no issue at all. Works well.

Minecraft - Large Plush - Spider
Minecraft - Large Plush - Spider
Offered by ONLYWHOLESALE
Price: $36.99
14 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Super soft, December 9, 2014
Most of the Minecraft plush toys are odd in appearance. This one is the best of them - big, very soft and huggable. Good gift.

Avery Textured Place Cards, White, 1.43 x 3.75 Inches, Pack of 60 (80504)
Avery Textured Place Cards, White, 1.43 x 3.75 Inches, Pack of 60 (80504)
Price: $8.13
3 used & new from $7.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Requires care, November 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use a lot of Avery products so I'm well versed in their finicky templates. I generally print a test sheet on blank paper and hold it up to the light against the Avery product until I've tinkered with the setting enough to get them in the right positions. what I hate is punching out cards. I'm terrible at the fold and tear method of paper separation. I don't know why I thought these might have an adhesive component, but I did. The finished place cards look very cute and can be printed to fit any party theme. None of them came off in my printer (HUGE plus) or had the ink run on them, so they definitely work as intended. I don't know that they're much of a time saver though.

Special K Variety  Bars Case, 0.77-0.88 Ounce Bars (Pack of 42)
Special K Variety Bars Case, 0.77-0.88 Ounce Bars (Pack of 42)
Price: $21.18
2 used & new from $21.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a quick snack, November 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't expect a processed snack to be health food, so I consider any pre-packed bar to be an on-the-go snack. My primary question is how do they taste - these taste good. I was already a fan of the blueberry crisps, which are like a thinner adult version of a toaster pastry. The strawberry compared favorably. Red berries wasn't for me, but my kids loved it. Choco pretzel was also a hit, but I didn't care for the malty flavor. Less gooey than some other granola style bars and without the aftertaste of Rice Krispy snack bars, I would definitely keep buying the crisps.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20