Profile for E. A. Montgomery > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 678

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. A. Montgomery RSS Feed (Florida, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Avery Kids Self-Laminating Labels, Assorted, Pack of 48 (41433)
Avery Kids Self-Laminating Labels, Assorted, Pack of 48 (41433)
Price: $11.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and so far very durable, August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Easy to use and so far very durable. It took me a minute to figure out the upper label, but the finished result is extremely smooth, labeled the kids Camelbak bottles for summer camp and didn't get the grimy edges other labels develop. Very happy with this product.

Not My Father's Son: A Memoir
Not My Father's Son: A Memoir
by Alan Cumming
Price: $19.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably cathartic but heavy reading, August 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Alan Cumming is a very funny man so I assumed his upbringing involved dysfunction. Not My Father's Son is primarily concerned with that aspect of his life. Although the chapters are divided between past and present most of the present chapters also involve discussing or exploring the past. Be prepared for an abuse memoir, not a celebrity breeze. I recently read Cady McClain's excellent survivor's narrative Murdering My Youth: A Memoir and enjoyed it more.

The division of Then and Now that Cumming used created a disjointed experience. A chapter may end on a pivotal emotional point and then throw you back in the past to a different one before properly addressing the first. If you are not an abuse survivor yourself, the reading experience may be more emotional. For myself, The contrasting style didn't work. I think fans of Cumming will find the book compelling, but as a memoir it was just an okay read.

Wonka Randoms Gummy Stand Up Bag, 10 Ounce
Wonka Randoms Gummy Stand Up Bag, 10 Ounce
Price: $6.34
3 used & new from $6.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Sticking to Haribo, August 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was looking for a HFCS free gummy bear option but these don't hit the Haribo sweet spot. The Wonka gummies are thicker, chewier and stretchy - they taste & have a mouth feel almost exactly like Life Saver Gummies. We all thought they weren't bad but neither were they good. Decent variety of shapes and flavors, but the dominant flavor is just sweetness. The gummies were really thick - the bite was super soft yet it seemed like too much of everything. Ended up only using 1/5 of the bag and tossing the rest. Good if you like Life Saver Gummies.

American Tombow Irojiten Colored Pencils, Primary Colors Collection, 5 Pencil Set (61530)
Price: $14.90
8 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, harder lead than expected, July 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The lead on these pencils is harder than I anticipated from the description, but they perform beautifully. Blending and shading is easily controlled. Nice, smooth color without much pressure needed and no skipping from paper texture. My daughter borrowed these for a manga project she was working on with her friends and won't given them back. Will definitely get more colors. I have not used Tombow products before, I like these better than the Faber-Castell I usually buy.

Thorn Jack: A Night and Nothing Novel (Night and Nothing Novels)
Thorn Jack: A Night and Nothing Novel (Night and Nothing Novels)
by Katherine Harbour
Price: $18.92
72 used & new from $4.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Too emo for me, July 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings but Thorn Jack left me flat. When I ordered it I didn't realize this was a YA title. I wasn't prepared for the melodrama level in this tale of the human Finn and otherworldly Jack. The author does a lot of telling, giving motivations and foreshadowing of actions instead of letting events unfold naturally for the reader. I wasn't able to really pick up a rhythm in the story and stay in it. Thorn Jack ended up abandoned but I can see someone more into YA enjoying it. Thorn
Jack was on par with other recent books friends have raved about that left me unmoved. I'd try this author again, when she leaves out the massive info her style is dreamy and interesting.

Pepsi Cola Limited Edition Real Sugar Vanilla Soda, 12-12 Oz Cans Fridge Pack
Pepsi Cola Limited Edition Real Sugar Vanilla Soda, 12-12 Oz Cans Fridge Pack
Offered by Clear View Movies
Price: $25.02
4 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Far Too Sweet, July 18, 2014
I like flavored colas but this Pepsi Vanilla is FAR too sweet. The vanilla flavor is very strong, but the overall effect is like the dregs of an ice cream float. I split a can between my self and my kids but all three of us took a few sips and poured it out. I hope they bring Pepsi Spice back instead of keeping Pepsi Vanilla around. Wouldn't get again.

Pepsi Made with Real Sugar, 7.5 Fl Oz Mini Cans, 24 Pack
Pepsi Made with Real Sugar, 7.5 Fl Oz Mini Cans, 24 Pack
Price: $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Too Sweet, July 18, 2014
I don't think this is the same formula as the Mexican import Pepsi I pick up occasionally. It's far better than the weird (to me) taste of regular Pepsi. Both this Pepsi and the throwback ones are sweeter than the Pepsi I grew up with, but this one is the best domestic unflavored Pepsi on the market. The can is perfectly sized for lunch, just about the right amount when you pour it over ice. I prefer the Wild Cherry flavor, but I'm glad to have a non-import Pepsi that tastes 'right' again.

Pepsi Made with Real Sugar, Wild Cherry, 7.5 Fl Oz Mini Cans, 24 Pack
Pepsi Made with Real Sugar, Wild Cherry, 7.5 Fl Oz Mini Cans, 24 Pack
Price: $9.00
2 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than Pepsi Throwback, July 18, 2014
While I find the taste of Pepsi Throwback somehow off, this Pepsi Wild Cherry tastes great. I grew up on sugar based sodas and the HFCS colas taste terrible to me. I don't enjoy them. This is absolutely my favorite cola on the market now (next to a German import Coca-Cola). It's better than the Mexican Pepsi's I was picking up at a local store. Great pricing, and the mini can is the perfect size for me. It is about the exact amount I want with lunch. Love this product.

Dell XPS X8700-3130BLK Desktop
Dell XPS X8700-3130BLK Desktop
Price: $999.99
21 used & new from $920.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed, Great Speed, July 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The external case of this desktop has been well designed. I've had desktops that were cumbersome to use, with odd tray and button placement that annoyed me enough to swap them out. The XPS X8700-3130BLK has had thought put into the user experience and it shows. The charging well on the top has two USB ports for easy connection of cameras, phones, etc and a small cradle area to help hold them. These are not the only USB ports of the system, there are a ridiculous amount (ten total, six of them USB 3). I'm used to having to use one or two USB hubs to attach all my peripherals (sketch tablet, hard drives, Kindle, printer, etc) but I was able to connect everything directly. There are hubs front and back, so I don't feel overwhelmed by wires.

It ships with Windows 8, which I'm not fan of. You can set it to act like your window's phone (which it works beautifully with) but without a touch screen monitor that interface is fairly useless. There's the usual amount of bloatware to wade through and clean out, but even before I started customizing the speed was closer to what I expect from a Mac. Video processing, rendering, all were much smoother and quicker than I expected. This is a real workhorse.

While the peripherals are nothing special, they are functional. You'll want to replace the mouse but the very lightweight keyboard is fine. This system is exceptionally quiet - I had it running in my bedroom without any disturbance. It's nice to find an attractive machine that performs, as I've often had to choose between looks and utility. Very happy with this unit.

The Suffragette Scandal (The Brothers Sinister Book 4)
The Suffragette Scandal (The Brothers Sinister Book 4)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Move Over, Smite. Free is in Town., July 18, 2014
I didn't love Free the way other readers did in the Brother's Sinister series. Obviously, I hadn't spent enough time with her. Free has nudged Smite aside as my favorite Milan lead. I meant to start the book around ten last night but stayed up until 4 am to finish it. Excellent tale of a woman working for a political aim she knows she won't achieve and the cynic who comes to understand why she bothers. Great side characters round out one of my favorite reads this year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20