Profile for MoneyMan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MoneyMan RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tell Me You Love Me: Season 1
Tell Me You Love Me: Season 1
DVD ~ Michelle Borth
Offered by PRIMETIME DEALS
Price: $6.39
29 used & new from $2.32

3.0 out of 5 stars High Expectations; Low Outcomes, February 9, 2015
I had high hopes about this series, and stuck with it for as long as I could. Unfortunately with the exception of the therapist (played by Jane Alexander), all of the characters were completely unlikable. The one strength HBO has in almost all of their series (from the charming and lighthearted comedy "Dream On" to the violent and edgy "Game of Thrones") is their character development. Regardless if the viewers love the character (Martin Tupper) or despise the character (King Joffey) we are invested in the arc of the character. We as viewers continue to view the characters to see what direction they will take us and give us the necessary reaction to ask "what are they going to do next"?

With "Tell Me You Love Me" the characters are not only unlikable, but exhausting, uninteresting and flat. To listen to their tiring minutia about the conflicts they encounter regarding their sex lives makes you want to tell every single one the couples to simply break up and inject a new love interest in their life, for no other reason than to introduce us to new and hopefully more interesting characters. I will admit the sex is quite hot, and somewhat realistic, the way people (who actually WANT to have sex with one another) do have sex. Unfortunately you have the sexual engagement, then they start to talk again, and it all goes downhill from there.

The most interesting parts of the series was with the therapist, and I was hoping the show would go further with that dynamic (and develop more engaging dialogue by the characters). In fact I can see that portion of the show being a prelude to the fantastic HBO series "In Treatment". I hated almost everyone in that series, but man was I invested in the patients and their sessions. "Tell Me You Love Me" never took me to that place where I said "can you believe he/she/they said that?" I had some hope for the younger couple given that at that age you're figuring things out about love, life and relationships in between their multiple sex sessions. They even went as far as to break up and explore relationships with other people. But once again they open their mouths with trite dialogue, and once again I lose interest. The creators of the show seem to lost in knowing where to go beyond "let's screw" followed by "you don't understand." It became emotionally taxing for the viewer to see this endless cycle of conflict with no meaningful progress, let alone resolution.

I guess the one thing that did maintain my interest was as unlikable as the characters were, I enjoyed seeing how much they argue over and over again about the same relationship issues ("why doesn't he want to f*** me any more", "his negativity is preventing us from conceiving", "you are interested in other women") where I'm hoping one or more of them will either have a full-blown meltdown, an emotional explosion or engage in such reckless behavior to the point where the meltdown or explosion will occur. I know that's cynical and mean-spirited to wish on the characters. But at least that will make them interesting. And I guess that is what I was hoping for in "Tell Me You Love Me," and why I stuck with it: to have that unexpected "holy sh*t" reaction I've been used to in an HBO series. The show was ambitious, but certainly didn't live up to my expectations. Purchase or stream it if and when you feel the price is right.

Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids
Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids
Offered by BenStores
Price: $24.58
23 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the Food Chain in Storage Containers, January 28, 2015
Pyrex, the gold standard in storage containers, is the type of product that can break up friendships and makes enemies of relatives. They are so valuable and useful the purchaser always want them returned when they give to others filled with food. If the Pyrex bowls or containers are not returned, heaven help the borrower. I won't lend them out: I will place food in a ziplock bag before giving it in one of my Pyrex containers.

Onto the product: they're solid, easy to clean, and go from freezer to microwave without any damage to the product. I've dropped them in the past; I've yet to break one (I do not want to continue that test). Best of all this set went on sale for $13.99, and it was one of the best purchases I've made. No one can go wrong purchasing a Pyrex product.

Here are a few things that would make it perfect:
1. The bowls was square or rectangular instead of round. The rectangular ones sold doesn't offer as many options and is much more expensive. It's just a personal preference.
2. They don't stack for space-saving storage in the manner that plastic products like Rubbermaid do. That's to be expected: this is a glass product. Again it's a matter of personal preference.
3. The top is plastic, making it more fragile. It warps when you're heating in a microwave, but I found a solution to that problem: place a damp paper napkin over the top of the food to be microwaved, then place the plastic top on top, slightly ajar. This will preserve the integrity and longevity of the plastic top.
4. As with all Pyrex products, they're heavy. This must be taken into consideration if they're used to transport food daily, like for lunch or other meals. They're sturdy, but still glass: they're fragile and can break.

Despite my preferences, I will still give the product five stars. It's a worthwhile purchase.

DBPOWER 13.3-Inch Portable DVD Player, 270 degree Swivel LCD Screen, USB, Support Analog Signal TV, SD Card, SWIVEL & Flip,VAG,CD,VCD,MP3,MP4,With Game CD+ Game Controller
Offered by OXA USA COM
Price: $139.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid DVD Player, But the Remote Control Disappoints, January 28, 2015
I tried to purchase this product from Amazon three times because the first two times it arrived damaged. To add insult to injury, every time I asked for a replacement they wouldn't honor it (thought they did give me a full refund and paid for return shipment) and when I reordered the price would jump around $10 each time. I waited until the price dropped to an acceptable level before I ordered it yet again. This time it arrived undamaged.

Now on to the product: The size is as advertised and the casing of the product is not a sturdy as it appears. Nor is the product is as heavy as you would think it would be. But it's solid enough. As for the picture, I don't find it as bright or sharp as you would expect. It's not bad, it can be adjusted, and it depends on the angle of the screen to the viewer, but overall the quality is okay. Another review commented on how short the length of the power cord/adapter. The reviewer is right: the player must be practically on top of or next to the power socket.

So far I've tested the machine by playing four types of mediums: music CD; a purchased movie and TV show; a burned DVD, and a DVD containing shows copied from TV and recorded on a disc with a DVD recorder. So far the machine has played all the discs without any difficulty, which is surprising. The disc does have to be almost flawless, as the machine will have a problem with playback if there's considerable smudges and scratches (but many machines will have that difficulty). One issue is that normally when a portable DVD player is on but at rest, the screen will either go into screen saver mode or the machine will simply shut down. This machine won't do either; it will remain at the DVD factory screen. There could be a way to reset this, but I haven't found it yet. Also for some reason when I turn on the machine from standby mode and play a purchased movies or shows, the subtitles will display when the event starts. This is very annoying because I have to go to the menu and turn off the subtitles. And the subtitles display on the TOP of the screen. I find this very odd. But I'm sure there's a way to prevent this from happening; I just haven't figured it out yet. I will write an update to this review to discuss the other options of product (TV, USB, WiFi, etc.).

The buttons on the machine for basic functions (skip, fast forward, stop, menu, etc,) is prominently displayed and I find the layout pretty solid and sound. But there is a slight lag when you press a command. For example, there seems to be one second lag between when you press the pause, skip or other functions during play before the command takes effect. It's very different from other DVD players where the commands are achieved almost instantaneous. It's not a major issue, but it's just odd.

By far the biggest drawback is the remote control. It's about the size of a post-it pad: it's very small and easy to misplace. But a greater drawback is the layout of the button. One has to use their fingernails to press most of the buttons because they are so small and close together. In addition, with a few exceptions the buttons are in the same shape and size, resulting in a lack of differentiation between may of the most commonly used functions. And I swear there must be forty buttons on this tiny remote: thirty of them are exactly the same shape and size. I'm definitely considering getting a low-cost universal remote control (a learning remote) to use in place of the one provided. And the remote must be pointed directly in front of the sensor, otherwise it won't work.

If this player was any more expensive, I would consider it a bust. But given the price of the product and the basic quality, this was not a bad purchase. I know other reviewers have mentioned the machine breaking down after a short time. But after several months use the it's still operating quite well. There's definitely better options out there, products of higher quality and less expensive. But for the options this one provides with the low price, this is a solid buy.

Kashi 7 Whole Grain Nuggets Cereal, 20-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Kashi 7 Whole Grain Nuggets Cereal, 20-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
Price: $28.62
12 used & new from $28.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy? Yeah; Taste? Meh., January 28, 2015
I read two other reviewers who nailed it with their synopsis of this cereal. One reviewer described it like eating sawdust; another reviewer said it had an overcooked, burnt taste to it. I haven't tried any other cereal that compares to this one, though some people have compared it to Post's Grape Nuts. I've never tried them before. But I wanted to purchase a cereal that had some health benefits, low in sugar, and high in fiber. I tried Kashi Go Lean cereal, and while healthy had the taste of rice cakes. As anyone knows, standard rice cakes tastes like the styrofoam used to protect electronic equipment during shipment. It's not bad; it just lacks any taste (apologies to the people who like Kashi Go Lean cereal).

Now back to the Kashi 7 Whole Grain Nuggets. I thought it was like eating tiny little overbaked pebbles. They were very hard to chew and I had to wait a moment for the milk to soften it up. And you know what it really tastes like? Like the crumbs from overdone toast. A little lighter and it would be more palatable. Don't get me wrong, I can eat it, and the taste is "okay," but it needs more. Another reviewer said they can eat it only with chopped bananas. That reviewer is right: chopped fruit is what this cereal needs. I know this can negate the health benefits of the cereal by adding sugar (even if it's good whole fruit sugar), the cereal will improve with the addition of some fruit.

If you're buying it for its health benefits, then you won't go wrong. And believe it or not, I would choose this cereal over something like the healthy Plain Cheerio's cereal, which I've always despised (I hate soft soggy cereal). But if you do make Kashi 7 Whole Grain Nuggets a part of your diet, eat them fast because I've never seen cereal soak up the milk so fast in my life. In five minutes you have overcooked flavored oatmeal or grits. At that point the cereal goes from "meh" to "ugh!" One thing though, don't be fooled by those little nuggets. You don't need a lot, and I found those little nuggets to be deceptively filling.

I know this is too much work to consume cereal from a box: fruit? Milk? Speed of consumption? But I'm eating it for the health benefits, as I won't go NEAR oatmeal (eating it always activates my gag reflexes). So this is a healthy alternative to that. I am willing to try other healthy cereals out there, and I will finish the boxes of Kashi 7 Whole Grains I bought. But for the moment I don't see myself purchasing it again.

Why three stars? Because taste-wise it's not that bad (I've definitely tasted worse), and I do want to incorporate it and its health benefits into my diet. Maybe after a month I will reevaluate and write and update to this review. We'll see.

Lundberg Wild Blend, Gourmet Blend of Wild and Whole Grain Brown Rice, Gluten Free, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6) Package May Vary
Price: $20.34
18 used & new from $20.34

4.0 out of 5 stars A Step Up from Conventional Brown Rice, January 28, 2015
I bought another brand from this company (Lundberg) and enjoyed the rice immensely. I tried this one and was not disappointed. While it takes about an hour to cook through, and I had to make it a few times to get the rice to water ratio to the point where I get the appropriate firmness of the rice I like (I abhor mushy rice of any kind), it is a very good and flavorful rice.

As many people know, wild rice can be a little chewy, and this blend is no exception. It's also a little nutty in its flavor, which makes it much more enjoyable and can be eaten with no addition of the flavoring. If you do, I would recommend a MINIMAL amount of salt added to the pot when cooking. When I cook a whole bag, I add a single chicken boullion cube to enhance the flavor with a teaspoon of olive oil. But be careful with the flavoring you may add. I added a beef boullion cube to a single bag and in my opinion it was too much. A bag and a half or two bags will do for beef. But if you want to go with just the rice itself, it's flavorful enough where the consumer will not go wrong. Obviously there are health benefits to white rice, and much more exciting than just plain brown rice, which I do eat, but I despise. Notebook paper tastes better than brown rice, in my opinion. This rice is a better, though more pricey alternative to brown rice.

As for the price, I bought it for I think was a good price. I would recommend adding it the cart and checking the price to the point where it drops to your comfort level. And as with all Amazon Grocery products, I would recommend going to a supermarket and buying a single package to try out for yourself before you purchase an entire case. I bought this strictly on reputation and experience with other Lundberg products. I'm glad to say I was not disappointed.

Dickies Men's Sanded Duck Insulated Coat, Black, XX-Large
Dickies Men's Sanded Duck Insulated Coat, Black, XX-Large
Price: $64.99
11 used & new from $64.97

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the feel of the shell, January 28, 2015
Despite this coat being more of a work coat, it's stylish enough to pass for a decent casual coat to throw on when you're out and about socially. The coat is lighter than I expected, but based on my experience it's warm enough to handle 30-degree weather. Any colder and you may need a light sweater or inner jacket to protect you, especially on the days when New York can have more brutal wind chills. I like the feel of the shell: it's not cheap or too artificial in appearance. This is not the type of coat you would where if you're doing strenuous outdoor work (lugging bricks, moving furniture, etc.) because the shell is just not THAT rugged. But it is rugged enough and when closed it will keep you warm. I give it four stars instead of five because I wish the front of the coat had breast pockets to go along with the waist pockets (which I love). It does have a single hidden outside breast pocket where you can open with a zipper and place things inside for easy access like a cell phone. But it just feels a little awkward to me with how it's slanted downward, and to me the zipper is somewhat cumbersome, and I can envision the zipper breaking with repeated use (it's not very sturdy). The front flap closes over the main zipper with velcro, which is a minus because velcro wears out with repeated use. To me snap buttons or even sewed-on sturdy buttons would be better. And the inner pocket for your wallet looks almost like an afterthought, nothing more than a piece of sturdy fabric sewn over the inner lining as if someone forgot to add it. It looks odd, and can be an issue down the road. These may be minuses for some people, but for me the pluses, with its deep waist and hand pockets and general look of the coat as well as how it can keep the occupant (me) warm, coupled with the price makes this (in my opinion) a sound purchase. I will keep it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superior Notebook Journal; Incorrect Page/Sheet Description, January 13, 2009
I've been looking for a quality notebook that is sturdy enough to carry around yet has enough pages to make daily entries throughout the year, and at a reasonable price. I thought I found it in the Ampad 43009 Gold Fibre Notebook Journal 7-1/2"x5-1/2" 240shts, Simulated Leather Cover, Blk.; I'm sorry to say this notebook does not qualify.

The description on the heading describes the notebook at "240shts" which I took as having 240 sheets, or 480 pages. Too good to be true? Perhaps. But I thought it was worth taking a chance. Unfortunately the notebook has only 120 sheets, or 240 pages. My needs require a notebook with at least 380 total pages. I'm sorry, but to me an incorrect description of a product is unforgiveable, especially when ordering products online.

That said, I would have given this product 4 out of 5 stars because it is a superior book. Very nice faux leather (even has a leather smell); nice size where it can fit in a large coat pocket; the stitching looks strong; and the pages are quite sturdy. The pages are lined, but the lines are a little faint for my taste. Still they're nice. And the quality of the pages is very good. Except for the issue of the incorrect description and lack of capacity, this is an excellent notebook for the price. Perhaps cheaper can be found somewhere else, but I think someone who's serious about journal entries will not be disappointed.

I know there are notebooks/ diaries/ journals with my capacity needs; but they come at a premium. I should have paid the extra $3 and ordered the Moleskine Daily Planner 12 Months Soft Black Cover Large, which would have met my needs. But you live and learn. I'm sorry to say that due to the incorrect description, I can't go above 2 out of 5 stars in rating this book. If they edit the description, I'd gladly edit my review.

Country Choice Organic Ginger Lemon Sandwich Cremes, 12-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)
Price: $26.19
10 used & new from $25.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Good Choice in Organic Cookies, March 24, 2008
After my positive experience with Health Valley Cookie Cremes, Double Chocolate, Newman's Own Organics Newman-O'S Ginger-O's, 16-Ounce Packages, and the Newman's Own Organics Alphabet Cookies, Cinnamon, 10-Ounce Bags, I thought I would give Country Choice a go. So far, I'm "4-for-4" in ordering good organic cookies. I took a chance and bought them without trying them first. I'm happy to say I was not disappointed.

Country Choice Organic Ginger Lemon is a good tasting cookie that have all the benefits of sweetness we would expect from cookies, but lacking the artificial ingredients consistent with cookies commonly on the market. The cookies are lighter than other organic cookies I've tried, but the taste is quite strong and the cookies are sweet, a surprise from my initial introduction to organic cookies that had the flavor and consistency of the cardboard box they were stored in.

There are some points the consumer needs to know; they may be minuses for some, but they're certainly pluses for me:

1) The cookies are VERY sweet; I had to have a glass of milk with them. While I adore sweet cookies, it may turn some people off. Be mindful of that.

2) The taste of ginger is overwhelmed by the strongest taste of lemon in cookies I've ever had. To me this would be a significant minus, except that I absolutely love the lemony taste in cookies. The aroma is heavenly, but the taste is so powerful it seems almost artificial. Oddly, I can taste a hint of ginger when they're dunked in milk (any explanation from food chemists/scientists out there?). Again I love that taste, but others may not. If you want the gingery taste, you would have to be an expert food taster to find it here (in my opinion).

3) While these cookies are made with organic and natural ingredients (no hydrogenated oils or trans fats), they're still cookies: they are loaded with sugar, sodium and carbs. Two cookies pack a whopping 130 calories; 50 calories from fat. Remember, organic does not always mean healthy. And because these cookies are lighter than other organic cookies I've tried, and very tasty, it is very easy to overeat them.

4) These cookies (barely) pass my all-important "dunkability" test, where they adequately absorb milk to compliment the flavor of the cookies (Oreo's, despite their artificial ingredients, is still king in the dunkability of cookies, in my honest opinion). They taste delicious when dunked, but these cookies begin to fall apart quickly, so holding them under milk for a length of time could be problematic.

Given the minuses I've indicated, you wonder: why do I give it four stars. Simple: I love them. Taste, like beauty, is in the eye (or palate) of the beholder. And I can't get enough of them. While my opinion is unquestionably biased, I try to give as much unbiased information on the product as I can. Use it to make your decision.

As with all Amazon grocery products, I recommend going to a supermarket or specialty store (Whole Foods, for example), buy a single pack and sample the cookies before you buy the entire case. I took a gamble and bought the case untested; it's a gamble that has paid dividends for me.

Hungry for You Dvd Unrated Uncut
Hungry for You Dvd Unrated Uncut

4.0 out of 5 stars Was Oddly Drawn to the Story, February 26, 2008
"Hungry for You" is your standard erotic fantasy/thriller starring the incredibly sexy Rochelle Swanson. I'll admit, I took a chance in purchasing this title specifically because Ms. Swanson stars in it. I was as interested in the plot/storyline as I was in the obvious erotic elements. While from a general cinematic point-of-view, the premise has been done to death (watch the SciFi channel, and I'm sure you'll run into a movie with a similar plotline), from an erotic thriller perspective the story was above average.

The story is set in the near future, and people seek adventure via virtual reality ("VR"). Sexual VR is against the law except in Nevada, and anyone broadcasting or engaging in it outside of Nevada is sentenced to five years of sensory deprivation. In this case, various men are viewing VR scenarios (skydiving, gunfights, car racing, etc.), when all of a sudden a woman (Rochelle Swanson) suddenly appears in the simulation; sexually engages the viewer; then proceeds to have virtual intercourse with them. The viewer knows it's against the law and should not be part of the program. But come on, it's Rochelle Swanson; no man is going to turn her down. When the man reaches his sexual apex, an electrical impulse shoots through the VR googles into his eyes, killing him. A former cop and FCC investigator is brought in to solve the mystery: how are these men dying? Who's behind their deaths? Who's broadcasting sexual VR scenarios? Why these particular men? It is a mystery involving government duplicity, corporate coverups, blackmail and revenge. Despite the common flaws associated with low-budget softcore cinema, (poor acting, obvious plot developments, shallow characters, etc.) "Hungry for You" was surprisingly entertaining.

There are a few points I wanted to bring up:

1) The disk menu and cover art is in spanish, but the sound is in English. You may have to turn off the spanish subtitles, but that's minor. And the menu is not so difficult that you can't tell "play" from "scene selection" from "return." Knowing spanish is not required. In my opinion, the disk quality is excellent.

2) Unlike many other softcore films I've seen, especially MRG-produced films shown on CineMax, there is not as much sexual content as I was accustomed to. There were only five scenes (all involving Ms. Swanson), and two of them were halted to further the storyline. That's not to say that the ones shown weren't good. There just wasn't as many scenes. Plus, the scenes aren't as "animated" as CineMax sex scenes demonstrate. They were in slow erotic mode consistent with movies produced by Mystique Films (I measure quality of sexual content to the films produced by MGR or Mainline Releasing, the films commonly shown on CineMax). But don't think the scenes are in any way inferior; they were terrific, and Ms. Swanson was spectacular. I guess I got used to the simulated sexual activity to be as realistic as it's demonstrated on CineMax. It's a little more muted, but still great. I think that's the result of some effort actually being placed on the storyline.

3) Despite my being captivated by the storyline, the acting was weak, even by softcore standards. The main character, the investigator, did this Mike Hammer-like narration and persona which was the hammiest and worst dialogue I've ever heard. Clearly the person who wrote the script fancies him/herself as some classic mystery writer, when they're just making the character sound like an idiot. The other characters were somewhat over the top, but fine. I know I shouldn't expect so much from erotic thrillers, but even they should have their standards and make a reasonable effort.

4) The special effects were lousy, but an aficionado of erotic thrillers will allow that; I will too.

5) The ending was a major letdown, which was unfortunate, given that I was captivated by the mystery. The producers and writers seem to put a fair amount of effort in making the story interesting, only to solve the mystery with a proposterous, idiotic and cliched ending. I was very disappointed.

Overall, I was as captivated by the storyline as I was in the erotic content, something I never expected to happen. If you're not a lover of softcore cinema, then don't bother buying this. This genre is not about quality acting, well-developed characters, crisp dialogue or superior production value. It's meant to show very attractive people engage the base desires of the viewer via non-graphic sexual activity. "Hungry for You" falls within that catergory. But I was not simply looking for the next sexual scene; I really wanted the mystery solved. On that basis, I give the movie four stars.

Deviant Obsession
Deviant Obsession
DVD ~ Gabriella Hall
Offered by 40K ITEMS ON SALE
Price: $29.99
11 used & new from $2.29

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific (But Heavily Edited) Erotic Thriller, January 29, 2008
This review is from: Deviant Obsession (DVD)
"Deviant Obsession" is one of your standard erotic thriller where the main character, an attorney, works undercover at a strip club to help a client who's accused of murder. While this case is being investigated, there is a plethora of sexual activity involving almost every character in the film. For the erotic thiller fan, this is a must have. It's a shame this version put out by MTI and Platinum is heavily edited of its all-important sexual content (I've seen the complete version aired on CineMax several years ago). The viewer will see a little nudity and some caressing, but scenes are either cut away or cut out entirely when the sexual activity actually takes place. You'll hear sounds consistent with two people engaged in (simulated) copulation; you just won't see it. Thus it cuts the viewing time down from 85-90 minutes to a little over 70 minutes.

While this plotline has been duplicated many times in other erotic thrillers and dramas, especially in MRG-produced films, I've always gravitated towards erotic thrillers with serious plotlines (clearly it's a personal preference). While the acting is suspect and no effort is really made in developing original plotlines, characters and dialogue, I like that the actors & actresses seem to really be making an effort at making a decent film. Aficionados of erotic thrillers and dramas (affectionately known as "SkineMax" films) are willing to subject themselves to a suspect film when quality softcore sexual content and incredibly sexy people are involved. "Deviant Obsessions" is one of my favorites.

The problem is this version put out by MTI and Platinum Disc: the movie is so heavily edited it's impossible to begin to accept it for what it's supposed to be: a well-rounded erotic thriller. Let's face it: we watch films of this ilk for its sexual content; unfortunately this film has had much of it edited in such a way where what's going on is implied, not realized. I bought this disk, and was sorely disappointed. I would love to give this title a higher rating, but I can't give a high rating to a film that clearly is incomplete. Purchase at your own risk.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4