Profile for J. David Evans > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. David Evans RSS Feed (Austin, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Armstrong 21-951 3/4-Inch Drive Impact Drive Adapter
Armstrong 21-951 3/4-Inch Drive Impact Drive Adapter
Price: $25.44
12 used & new from $20.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made; Strong., December 23, 2013
I used this adapter with my 1/2'' axle nut sockets on our ML320: the spec on the nuts is 490 Nm (360 ft-lbs) and this adapter combined with my 40" breaker easily did the job.

Whirlpool 12001541 Drum Roller for Dryer
Whirlpool 12001541 Drum Roller for Dryer
Price: $9.04
12 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Replacement., December 23, 2013
We have a 1983 Maytag -- runs perfectly. The drum wheel failed on one side: this is the perfect replacement.

TEKTON 1706 3/4-Inch Drive by 40-Inch Flex Breaker Bar
TEKTON 1706 3/4-Inch Drive by 40-Inch Flex Breaker Bar
Price: $53.04
5 used & new from $51.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect choice for axle nuts., December 23, 2013
This 40" breaker bar is well made, has a high-quality finish and makes quick work of high-torque nuts. This tool is a a very smart and very safe way to remove high-torque nuts: much better than the cheater bars that too often lead to the ER.

Highly recommended, if only for the massive-size "cool" factor when displayed on your shop wall!

Simpson 84300A Stingray Clear Shield for Devil Ray Helmet
Simpson 84300A Stingray Clear Shield for Devil Ray Helmet
Price: $52.53
3 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Simpson, March 18, 2013
Exactly what you'd expect from Simpson. Perfect fit, absolutely crystal clear. Totally fog resistant. Every track, every race, every lap.

OTC 6985 Fan Clutch Service Kit for Mercedes-Benz and BMW
OTC 6985 Fan Clutch Service Kit for Mercedes-Benz and BMW
Price: $130.07
15 used & new from $130.07

5.0 out of 5 stars This Set is Incredible. Purpose-built for Mercedes and BMW., March 18, 2013
OK, so I really like well made tools, and this set is just that. Deep chrome plating, neat lettering on all parts, excellent finish and a strong, snap-lock case that holds everything in place. I've used this both of our Mercedes (ML320 and E300D) and (bonus) it fits the Land Rover too! You will *not* be dissatisfied by this fan clutch tool kit.

For those wondering about the investment (this set is about twice as expensive as a standard fan clutch tool -- see my review of the Sears model) on Mercedes and BMWs the generic tools don't always work. The Sears set fit the Land Rover reasonably well and would likely fit the ML320. But the E300 Diesel has a special locking hole in the fan pulley, and this set fits it perfectly (because it was made for it.) If you have a Mercedes, BMW or Land Rover consider this set: it's *exactly* what you need.

Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus
Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus
Price: $88.65
23 used & new from $72.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Oil Change Made Easy, January 19, 2013
This is a game changer for weekend mechanics. I have a pit under one of the bays in my garage...but the thought of moving things and crawling into it to drop the lower engine covers and drain the oil on the E300D is still not pleasant. With this fluid extractor, that's over: with a coffee in one hand I can change the oil with the other. OK, sure, I still have to change the filter (but that's topside and very easy) and it does take awhile for the oil to be sucked out (about 40 minutes.) But I can do the filter while I'm waiting, and check all of the other little things that keep cars running right.

I'm still trying to figure out how to actually clean the unit after use....but I'm sure that secret will reveal itself in time. In the interim, this is a well-made, easy to use piece of equipment that makes oil changes a snap.

Craftsman 9-34740 32 Piece 1/4-3/8 Drive Standard/Metric Socket Wrench Set
Craftsman 9-34740 32 Piece 1/4-3/8 Drive Standard/Metric Socket Wrench Set

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet Set, June 2, 2012
This is a great fill-in set if you have standard (SAE) sockets and a random collection of metrics, or the reverse.

The tools are well-made, and are covered by the Craftsman "lifetime, no ifs/ands/but(t)s" warranty.

You'll want a socket organizer as this set does not include a case, but if you're like me and you are looking for a fill-in set of great hand tools you've probably already got that covered.

I'd buy these again in a minute...but since they are Craftsman I won't ever have to!

Craftsman 3Pc Pulley Holder 36 & 40 mm Wrench Fan Clutch Set
Craftsman 3Pc Pulley Holder 36 & 40 mm Wrench Fan Clutch Set
Offered by MHS Inc
Price: $20.00
2 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars For $50 this is a no-brainer., June 2, 2012
I enjoy working my vehicles, and have most of the right tools. Still, there are some specialized tools that must-haves, and this is one of them.

My son and I pulled the heads off of our Land Rover, and it was clear that the fan was going to have to come out. There are dozen methods online for doing this work *without* the right tool...and all risk some sort of injury or damage to something that costs way more than the price of this tool. So, I ordered the tool and two days later (great seller!) popped the fan off in about 5 minutes.

This tool fits multiple vehicles: I wish I'd had it when I replaced the serpentine belt on our ML320 two weeks earlier. Next time it will be easier.

Well worth the money, well made, fits. Saves time, prevents injury and collateral damage. Five stars.

Water Tech BROOM Pool Blaster, Aqua Broom
Water Tech BROOM Pool Blaster, Aqua Broom
Price: $52.68
23 used & new from $29.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words: It works., June 2, 2012
I've wanted a quick, easy touch-up vacuum for our pool (40 feet long, in-ground, 6.5 feet deep) for a long time. With a dose of skepticism I bought this one -- seemed to have the most positive reviews of the various models available. when I opened it up I was even more skeptical...it weighs about a pound and has a vacuum inlet in bottom about the size of a quarter. I grabbed my coffee and headed down to the pool, taking care not destroy the packaging that I knew I was going to need.

I mounted it on the end of a 12' extension pole, gave it a twist (that's how you turn it on...) and stuck it in the pool.

And it worked! In less than ten minutes I had touched up the pool and was ready to relax. This is exactly what I'd been looking for.

To be sure, this will NOT replace a standard pool vac, nor will it replace a Polaris. It won't pick up piles of leaves either. Instead, this unit will QUICKLY touch up a pool, picking sand from the kiddos feet, leaves and the occasional flower petal that sank...etc. More than anything else, this pool tool will give you back 3 out of 4 Saturday mornings. I vacuum my pool using a standard vacuum...it takes about 15 minutes to plug in the hoses, block one skimmer...etc. Then I've got to get the hose out, etc, and then clean the baskets. Yah, I know...lots of folks have bigger problems. But the thought of doing all of that translated into skipping cleanings and a pool that was less than spotless.

No more. I can do the standard vac once a month, and then quickly hit the pool with a pole mounted basket and then touch up with the Water Tech Pool Blaster Aqua Broom. In 10 minutes I'm done.

One modification I'd suggest, especially if you cleaning up fine sand: Add the toe of a stocking in addition to the filter bag that comes with the unit. Be sure to ask about which stockings to use too: Don't just grab the first pair you see in your wife's drawer and cut them up, as those are probably her favorites. Word to the wise.

So, in summary, the product does what it claims and does it well. My pool is clean, and I've got more time on Saturday. That's "five stars."

No Straight Lines
No Straight Lines
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Read" from a Visionary Thinker, May 1, 2012
This review is from: No Straight Lines (Kindle Edition)
I've known Alan since we both presented as authors at SXSWi. We'd written books on "social media" and had secured speaking slots based on our respective works. I was really interested in what Alan had to say, and to compare his views with my own.

I was blown away.

Where my books are skills-oriented, Alan's provide foundational insight on what "social" really is, about what it means on a global scale and where we're all likely to be ten years on. (If we're lucky!) Talking with Alan and diving into No Straight Lines (I got a manuscript preview before purchasing a release copy) changed a lot of what I thought I knew. No Straight lines is an amazing look at the past, present and future as society (and the workplace!) is reshaped by social technology. Rote process replaced with collaboration, maximization of individual gain replaced by a collective that benefits all participants. Ultimately, No Straight lines is a book about the world we all wanted to live in: The best part of it is that we still can.

I highly recommend this book, and sincerely appreciate the effort that Alan put into writing this.
Thank you, Alan.