Profile for Scott E. Pace MD > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott E. Pace MD RSS Feed (Muskogee, OK USA)

3M Peltor Optime 105 Behind-the-Head Earmuff with Neckband (H10B)
3M Peltor Optime 105 Behind-the-Head Earmuff with Neckband (H10B)
Price: $23.38
27 used & new from $19.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused Over the Critiques, June 1, 2010
I'm a little puzzled about the negative reviews listed here.

According to the Technical Details:
* NRR 28 dB
* Twin-Cup neckband
* Patented Twin-Cup design
* Behind the neck design allows for easy use with hard hats

According to the Product Description from the manufacturer:
The Peltor Optime 105 Earmuff is recommended for very high noise level environments. Safe, comfortable and economical for all day protection. Note, this is the behind the head model.

According to the Product Description:
For Extreme Noise Levels Up To 105 Dba. Developed For The Ultimate Protection In The Most Demanding Noise Environments. The Optime 105 Features Added Mass And Volume, Plus A Unique Double Shell" Ear Cup Design (two Cups Connected Via A Foam Inner Layer To Reduce Structural Resonances) To Provide The Maximum In Noise Reduction Throughout The Full Range Of Low And High Frequencies. Ansi S3.19 1974/csa Z94.2.", Nrr 29 Db Uom Each

Now I purchased these "behind the head model" for one reason and one reason only: To allow myself to have adequate hearing protection while using the Sperian Protection S8500 Bionic Face Shield for adequate eye protection while using my MS 460 STIHL Magnum(tm) Chain Saw as over the head ear muffs would not even come close to allowing me to wear adequate eye protection. And you know what, the combination of the Peltor H10B Behind-the-Head Earmuff with Neckband (Optime 105) and the Sperian Protection S8500 Bionic Face Shield while workable still came up short. But that was not the fault of the Peltor H10B Behind-the-Head Earmuff with Neckband (Optime 105). And no I have tried safety glasses with both "over the head" and "behind the head" models and the "over the head" models makes wearing any type of protective eye wear much more difficult. And because I have a tendency to "fog" every conceivable type of eye ware (including anti-fog and scrapping soap on the inside of the lens) I have purchased every conceivable type of protective eye ware and they stay on much better with the "behind the head" models. (I did fix the problem by placing a Velcro scrap at the the bottom of the face shield then fastened the strap behind my neck which held the face shield in place).

The Peltor H10B Behind-the-Head Earmuff with Neckband (Optime 105) does everything it is advertised to do and it does it well. Yes there is a Velcro strap that fits on top of your head and this does secure the ear muffs better, but even with my chain saw the ear muffs stayed on without using the Velcro straps.

And these are not Tactical Hearing Protectors which block out harmful noise while amplifying low-level sounds and never claim to be. So to get these hearing protectors to "better hear" music or the spoken word makes no sense what so ever. While my personal preference for hearing protection remains "over the head" ear muffs, I doubt you could buy a better "behind the head" ear protection, especially at this price.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2013 3:56 PM PDT

Kidde KN-COSM-BA Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Talking Alarm
Offered by STEAL of DEAL
Price: $32.24
84 used & new from $24.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Lithium, Lithium, Lithium!, October 11, 2009
Having lived for 12 years in a three story (four if you count the basement) 103 year old National Registry Historic Home and each floor having multiple Kidde KN-COSM-B Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Talking Alarm I can say that this product has worked as advertised, lasted at least 5 years and so far has given us no difficulties. But the one thing I've learned is that the use of any AA battery that is not lithium questions the quality of this product. Non lithium AA batteries last at most for weeks but with lithium batteries you are looking at at least 6 months between those annoying and incredibly inconvenient "low-battery" alarms.

Century Wire D14610100 Orange 100ft 10/3 Tri-Tap Cord
Century Wire D14610100 Orange 100ft 10/3 Tri-Tap Cord
Offered by Texas Tool Traders
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product at Unbeatable Price!, September 27, 2009
The Century Wire 100ft 10/3 Tri-Cap Cord is an excellent product at an excellent price ($64.97 with Free Shipping). I have ran my Poulan Pro 400E 18-Inch 4.0 HP Electric Chain Saw at distances up to 225 feet (200 feet with Century Wire 100ft 10/3 and the last 25 feet with Coleman Cable 02587 25-Feet 12/3-Wire Gauge Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord With Lighted End, Yellow with no evidence of overheating or loss of power. Don't get me wrong I like Coleman cable products, but the diameter of the Century Wire 100ft 10/3 is at least 50 - 75 % greater.

The importance of adequate electrical equipment is a common topic of electric chainsaw users. To paraphrase one commenter:

"I have read most of the complaints of "smoking motors", black soot on the motor housing" "The saw quit after a half hour" and on and on. I also have a Poulan Pro 400E electric chain saw and am able to say that after trimming limbs 8 to 11 inches on 5 oak trees, cutting them up for disposal and then about 4 months after that, I went through the same scenario at my son's house and ran the saw almost constantly of 2 1/2 hours. Now here is what I am seeing with the above comments. You cannot run this saw on a 25,50 or 100 foot WalMart 16 gauge wire cord. 16 and even 14 gauge wire cords have smoked many many electric motor driven equipment. Here is my secret. 1. follow the owners manual, I use a 50 foot 12 gauge wire cord and a 100 foot 12 gauge wire cord and the saw hardly even gets warm. Poulan does NOT recommend using a 100 foot cord, however, I truly believe that is just a precaution to keep people from using `16 gauge 100 ft. cord."

Since I have been using a 200 foot Century Wire 10/3 I have had no problems using my chainsaws for hours at a time. And at a price of $64.97 with Free Shipping, I highly recommend this product!

Dremel 700-03 185-Piece General Purpose Rotary Tool Accessory Kit With Case
Dremel 700-03 185-Piece General Purpose Rotary Tool Accessory Kit With Case

5.0 out of 5 stars A More Detailed Description, September 12, 2009
A More Detailed Description from Dremel:

Dremel 700-03 Super Accessory 185-Piece Assortment
Features:

* 185 assorted accessories
* Store all of your accessories in one convenient foldable canvas bag
* Multiple pockets for easy organization
* Included Mini Kit fits into its own pocket

Offered by Dream Sales
Price: $13.59
8 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous, July 19, 2009
I had purchased this item a few months ago but was taken back by its color and design after my wife placed it on my bed. A real plus for any bedroom.

Wayne RUP160 1/6-Horsepower 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible Utility Water Pump
Wayne RUP160 1/6-Horsepower 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible Utility Water Pump
Price: $57.99
34 used & new from $36.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Needed Info, July 10, 2009
Some Needed Info

Whenever I see such disparities in reviews, it makes me wonder why some individuals are having such poor results. One assumes that they must be doing something very wrong in order to have such a product not perform as expected. Yet my experience with the Wayne RUP160 1/6-Horsepower 3,000 GPH Oilless Submersible Utility Water Pump makes me appreciate both the positive and negative reviews.

First of all, according to the manufacturer:
1. At least ˝ inch of water is needed to prime and operate the pump
2. The pump should not be operated if the water level is 3/8 inch or less
3. There is no mention of "the bottom suction can get water within 1/8-inch of the surface"
4. A discharge hose of 1-1/4 inches should be used
5. Despite a 3/4in. adjustable discharge adapter which connects to standard garden hose I couldn't find it listed that a garden hose would be acceptable
6. Do not allow pump to run dry. The shaft seal depends on water for lubrication. Operating pump without water will damage the shaft seal and cause pump failure.

So, after finding a "safe room" in our temporary rented home to have approximately 1 inch of stagnant water in it which was next to my bedroom I decided to get this pump to transfer water to a 2 foot holding tank (this was after purchasing to larger sump pumps including the Little Giant 6-CIA, 1/3 HP, 45 GPM - Automatic Submersible Sump Pump, 10' power cord (506168) which would then pump the water out a 1 ˝ inch hose).

I purchased this pump with the Apex 15-Foot Connector Hose Remnants #REM 15 (which was listed as 5/8" x 15') which connected to the garden house adapter, drop it into the water and turned it on. I could hear the pump running but nothing was coming out my 15 foot hose which was lying on the ground. To be sure, I placed the pump in a 12 inch bucket of water and still no water was coming out the hose. Feeling confused and starting to feel that this room would never be dry I took off the hose, dropped the pump back into the 1 inch water and presto water started flying out the pump at least 4 or 5 feet and bouncing off the wall. I concluded the 15 foot hose was to long and cut the hose into but still no luck. I continued shortening the garden house until it was approximately 12 - 18 inches and finally got enough water flow to fill up my holding tank. Note I haven't hooked it up to a 1-1/4 inch discharge hose yet.

So my main conclusions would be:
1. Strongly consider using a 1-1/4 inch discharge hose for good results
2. If you are looking a water levels consistently less than ˝ inches consider another pump
3. Prime the pump in at least ˝ inches of water
4. Remember not to let the pump run dry

Addendum: Please see history above. On July 17, 2009 I took off the garden hose adapter and the 3/8 inch garden hose and used the Little Giant SDHK114 1-1/4 Inch-by-24-Foot Sump Pump Discharge Hose Kit and what a difference. This little pump was quickly pumping water at least 10 - 12 feet straight up with no problems.
I will therefore raise my rating to 4 stars and stress:
1. Use a 1 1/4 discharge hose
2. Minimum water level 3/8 to 1/2 inches
3. Don't run dry and the pump does not shut off automatically
4. I would forget about the garden hose and garden hose adapter
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 3:43 PM PDT

4 Port Cable TV/HDTV/Digital Amplifier Internet Modem Signal Booster Internet AMP
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $31.99
11 used & new from $28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Broadband Speed Test Showed No Drop in Speed, February 26, 2009
My main interest in buying a splitter was more for maintaining my cable internet speed and less about television quality. So when we moved into a new temporary house I was concerned because both internet and cable came from the same jack. Our previous place of residence had a cable line which was dedicated to the internet. My wife called the cable company and was told to purchase a "splitter". Since "splitters" can range in price from a few dollars upward, I attempted to research this further with less than definitive results. I finally decided to give the 4 Port Cable TV / HDTV / Digital Amplifier Internet Modem Signal Booster Internet Amp a try.

I initially did my broadband speed test connecting the cable modem directly to the cable jack and connecting the modem to my computer using Ethernet and recorded the results in kb/s for download and upload. I then removed the cable from the modem and connected it to the HDTV amplifier and then connected the HDTV amplifier to the cable modem. The speed test showed no reduction in speed. I then connected the cable modem to my Airport Express with the same results. I then turned on the television in the family room with no changes. For my last test I went to the farthest point in the house away from the Airport Express and the speed test maintained the same upload and download speeds. I feel confident in saying that a consumer can use this product at the same time other cable requiring products are in use with no loss in their internet signal strength as measure by the broadband speed test. This product showed no evidence of boosting the internet speed but maintained the internet speed while using the television and transmitting the internet signal over a wireless network. I hope this review will help others whose main goal is maintaining their current internet connection speed.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, July 2, 2006
Have 4 total adapters at work and around the house, works great, no problems!