Profile for Chad Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chad Smith RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Philips Fidelio AS351/37 Bluetooth Android Speaker Dock
Philips Fidelio AS351/37 Bluetooth Android Speaker Dock
Offered by FERN ROCK
Price: $40.55
12 used & new from $40.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, arrived with issues, June 29, 2013
The aux cable was not included; the box came very smashed up; and there is a small tear in the speaker covering.

The product sounds okay, the phone connector is very well designed.

My main complaint, other than the condition of the product, is that the speaker covering attracts a lot of dust. Some other material should certainly be used.

Philips Hf3321 goLITE BLU
Philips Hf3321 goLITE BLU
Price: $89.95
11 used & new from $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and simple, February 13, 2012
I'm going to focus on the design of this product, and not on with the mood-effects or medicinal aspects of it.

This is a very well designed product. It has a power cord that goes in the side, a stand on the back that is easily inserted/removed and which stores in the back magnetically. There are two buttons-- one you press to turn it on for 15 minutes of light, and which you may press 3 more times for up to an hour of light; the second button increases the brightness-- there are three levels. It's all very elegant, with none of the overload and oversettings of so many tech products these days.

I store it in my bookcase, and when I use it, I pull it out, plug it in to the cord, insert the stand, hit the on button twice for a half hour, and I'm good to go. Takes 15 seconds tops. Easy to get going and forget about. The light is pleasing: bright and blue. I really do think it helps with my mood, but it's a little hard to acknowledge in the face of confirmation bias. But given that the New England Journal of Medicine and AMA both confirm the benefits of these lights, I trust that it is a legitimate therapy even though it feels almost 'as seen on tv'/skymall/qvc baloney-like.

I didn't try the upgraded version of it, but again, I think the simplicity of this product is a huge highlight, and doubt I would prefer the more complicated and more expensive product. My mother has the 'NatureBright SunTouch Plus', and I think this product is very much superior to it. That product's only superiority is having negative ions, about which I know nothing, but it has irritating light, is enormous, is bulky, etc.

I am very happy with the product.

Remembrance of Things Past: Volume I - Swann's Way & Within a Budding Grove (Vintage)
by Marcel Proust
Price: $17.83
170 used & new from $1.17

5.0 out of 5 stars The most staggering book you'll ever read, October 16, 2011
This novel is absolutely staggering. I remember not just what I read from it, but what I was doing as I was reading, what the weather was, etc. It's such an overwhelming experience to be immersed in Proust's words, and truly un-like any other novel you'll ever read. I think it takes a sensitive disposition to really appreciate it and some will not like it, but I suggest reading a bit of it (the beginning is a good example of what to expect). It doesn't make any sense to consider the length when deciding whether or not to read-- if you like it, you'll want it to be as long as possible, and if you don't like it, it doesn't matter how long it is. I doubt many people have moderated feelings toward these books. And you can really enjoy these books on any level you want-- someone who casually reads it for pleasure may like it just as much as someone really into critical and literary theory.

A few of my favorite sentences:
"In the evening, when I came in from my walk and thought of the approaching moment when I must say good night to my mother and see her no more, the steeple was by contrast so soft and gentle, there at the close of day, that it looked as if it had been thrust like a brown velvet cushion against the pallid sky which had yielded beneath its pressure, had hollowed slightly to make room for it, and had correspondingly risen on either side; while the cries of birds that wheeled around it seemed to intensify its silence, to elongate its spire still further, and to invest it with some quality beyond the power of words."

"And I should have liked to be able to sit down and spend the whole day there reading and listening to the bells, for it was so blissful and so quiet that, when an hour struck, you would have said not that it broke in upon the calm of the day, but that it relieved the day of its superfluity, and that the steeple, with the indolent, painstaking exactitude of a person who has nothing else to do, had simply--in order to squeeze out and let fall the few golden drops which had slowly and naturally accumulated in the hot sunlight--pressed, at a given moment, the distended surface of the silence."

"The places we have known do not belong only to the world of space on which we map them for our own convenience. None of them was ever more than a thin slice, held together between the contiguous impressions that composed our life at that time; the memory of a particular image is but regret for a particular moment; and houses, roads, avenues are as fugitive, alas, as the years."

I could go on and on.

This version, specifically, is a really beautiful book, the pages and typeface are very nice, and the translation is unbelievable. So good, that the French-English translation prize was named after C.K. Scott Moncrieff. I do recommend the box set with all 3 editions though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 1:51 AM PDT