Profile for Alexander Scott > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 158

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alexander Scott RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Chocolove Dark Chocolate Bar With Cherries And Almonds -- 3.2 oz
Chocolove Dark Chocolate Bar With Cherries And Almonds -- 3.2 oz
7 used & new from $35.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choclate, decent price, July 16, 2012
I run a chocolate-of-the-month club at my work, and this was the July 2012 chocolate. It's a good dark chocolate, with strong taste but not too bitter. The cherries seem to be real cherries (which is better than fake) and add both sweetness and a little tart zing. The downside is that they are a little gummy and stick to the teeth, as do the almonds. Not a big fan of nuts in my chocolate, preferring the melt-in-your-mouth sensation. The packaging is attractive and there is a poem inside, which doesn't add to the flavor but adds to the aesthetic when handing them out as a part of a club. As far as "adult" chocolates go, I prefer Newman's Own, but this is a great fun chocolate and you don't see a lot of cherry chocolate bars.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen Movie Exclusive Deluxe Class 2-Pack Super Tuner Throwdown Blowpipe & Sideways
4 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BATTLE PACK IS GREAT FOR COMPLEMENTARITY, January 6, 2010
I am a G1 fan and haven't seen either of the live-action films, but I do like the new transformers in the movie toylines. My son, who is 5yo, and I can play with toys together, which is fairly rewarding. My son bought this "Super Tuner" boxed set with his birthday money. These characters are from the new live-action movie toyline, REVENGE OF THE FALLEN.

Blowpipe and Sideways are surprisingly complementary, which makes this box set so great. Both toys are deluxe class, so they are a decent size and quality. I've reviewed Sideways separately (as he is avaliable separately), but I'll say here that it is a difficult but rewarding toy to work with. His transform is challenging to complete but the car looks beautiful when finished. However, I'd say that it is too complex for younger kids.

Blowpipe is really complementary to Sideways in terms of complexity. The robot mode is blue and sliver, with an oversized shield/grasping claw. He looks a little spindly for an autobot, but that's okay. His alt-mode is a truck, and the shield forms the truck bed cover. Where Blowpipe really shines is the toy's versatility as a truck. First, the tailgate comes down and the grasping claw can extend out of the truck bed. The cab roof can flip up to reveal the head while the rest of the body remains a truck. Also, the grill opens to allow the arms to come out (again, while the rest remains a truck). This really fascinates my son, who can give Blowpipe alt-alt modes and explore other ways to transform it. In contrast to Sideways, Blowpipe looks pretty good no matter how skilled you are at the transformation.

In summary, I think Blowpipe is a great toy for kids and Sideways is a great figure for older kids and adults. The complentarity of the toys in this pack is really nice, and maybe the ideal use would be for father and son to buy it together and each have one figure.

Transformers  Deluxe Sideways
Transformers Deluxe Sideways
Offered by oToys
Price: $39.49
7 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars CHALLENGING BUT REWARDING TOY, January 6, 2010
This review is from: Transformers Deluxe Sideways (Toy)
I am a G1 fan and haven't seen either of the live-action films, but I do like the new transformers in the movie toylines. My son, who is 5yo, and I can play with toys together, which is fairly rewarding. My son bought Sideways along with Blowpipe as part of a WalMart boxed set with his birthday money. These characters are from the new live-action movie toyline, REVENGE OF THE FALLEN. I'll review Blowpipe separately and focus on Sideways here.

My son's boxed set came with Sideways in robot mode, although I believe that he is in alt mode when sold alone. The robot mode is very striking in an insect sort of way - there are translucent wings that point up and back, and backward-jointed legs. I'm reminded of Kickback in a way... I like how the movie has Decepticons that are less anthropomorphic; a giant robot who has insectoid rather than human characteristics is frightening in its alienness. The car mode is also very nice; it looks sleek and powerful, with an attractive color scheme. I know some people don't like the pink tinting to the windows, but I think it adds an organic appearance that contrasts nicely with the gray of the metallic parts.

I knocked off a star for the "sawblade" preventing the tires from contacting the ground. Sleek looking cars ought to roll, and I consider it a serious design flaw to have such a useless body detail obstruct the whole process.

I considered taking off a star for the difficult transform. It is really, really hard to manipulate Sideways so that his shell joins where it ought. My son popped off pieces a few times and then lost interest. It really is too challenging for younger children. However, I've become increasingly enamored of this toy just because of the challenge. Getting the car roof to lie flat while getting other pieces to fit properly requires some practice and forethought, and it really is a thing of beauty when it you do it right.

In summary, I find Sideways to be a challenging but rewarding toy for the older crowd. For children with difficulty doing fine manipulation, Sideways will require too much dexterity and will end up as a pile of parts. Fortunately, the boxed set my son bought had Blowpipe, which lends itself much better to younger hands.

Transformers  Voyager Iron Hide
Transformers Voyager Iron Hide
Offered by Rangerstop
Price: $49.95
12 used & new from $30.00

4.0 out of 5 stars MORE LIKE "SOFT METAL"HIDE, December 22, 2009
I grew up as a G1 transformers and it's been a little hard to get used to the modern incarnations of old friends. But, my son and I want to play transformers together, so we have been buying the new ones. Ironhide is one of my favorite G1 autobots so I thought I'd try out his new incarnation in the live action movie toyline, REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, especially since it's a voyager-class toy (which my son and I prefer).

Initially, I was troubled by Ironhide's new sculpt. Isn't he supposed to be a red conversion van? OTOH, this Ironhide actually has a head, which is a real plus. This Ironhide is a GMC pickup truck with a grey-and-black color scheme. It's not very flashy, but I guess a weapons specialist might prefer not to stand out in a crowd. The truck has an enormous missile launcher and cannon combination weapon. The barrel of the cannon can project out either side, and the missile launcher can rotate relative to the cannon, and the whole weapon can fit backwards or forwards in the grooves on the truck bed; it is very possible to put the weapon on backwards, which fits but doesn't look right. The missile launcher is also asymmetric, which I don't understand; it looks like it is leaning off to one side (though it is not). Also, the weapon doesn't stay in the grooves very well; it feels as if it should pop into the grooves but won't. Despite these complaints, the truck mode looks very sleek and powerful, and it has a gigantic double-sided weapon, so who can complain?

The robot mode of Ironhide has more problems than the truck mode. My biggest complaint is that the chest piece that separates the hood "wings" appears incomplete; it seems that it needs to snap somewhere or connect to something but it doesn't. The lack of connection is visually displeasing. The other major problem are the legs; the panels from the automorph feature obstruct the legs from closing enough to stand straight. This can be seen in most pictures of Ironhide, where his legs are splayed somewhat. This makes him wobbly, which is unfortunate b/c his parts pop off easily. It's better than breaking, but it must be embarassing to be a weapons specialist who keeps falling over and going to pieces. I don't like the new face, but the toy isn't to blame for that. The yellow piping on the robot looks cool on the black robot parts, and the weapon comes apart to form two weapons, which fit on the sides of Ironhide's arms (sidearms, hehe) very nicely.

Finally, the transformation has a real problem fitting together. The connection between the chest and the waist has three pegs which do not fit into their respective holes. With enough pressure they will fit, but applying that pressure to the rest of the toy is worrisome. Also, a lot of torque must be applied to rotate the chest relative to the waist by 180 degrees, and this is putting a lot of strain on the toy. I doubt most 5 yo have the strength to manipulate this toy correctly.

In conclusion, Ironhide is a nice looking robot and truck. I have qualms about the transformation between or about durability during play. For a collector's piece or for an older child he is probably fine.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen Movie Scout Class Action Figure Rollbar
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen Movie Scout Class Action Figure Rollbar
Offered by GOMINE
Price: $11.79
8 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars ROLLBAR ROLLS OVER, December 22, 2009
Rollbar is a scout-class autobot from the second live action movie toyline, REVENGE OF THE FALLEN. I grew up with G1 transformers, but I've been getting the recent transformers for my son. Mostly he's gotten deluxe and voyager class transformers, and Rollbar was his first scout class toy. Rollbar is a blue-and-gray robot who transforms into an energy-drink delivery truck.

Scout-class figures are about 4" tall, which is distinctly smaller than other transformers in the line. Because of its small size and supposedly simpler transform, I assumed that it was designed for younger children. My experience is that this is not the case. First, the transformation is very simple in design but difficult to peform; there is a double hinge which rearranges the torso in position to the truck shell. It is very difficult for me to get the leverage to work this motion and my 5yo son can't do it at all. I don't believe that it is an issue of tight joints, but just nowhere to gain purchase on the moving parts. The other major problem are the pop-off parts. These are made to pop apart rather than break when forced; unfortunately, Rollbar's chest plate (which becomes the back of the truck) has no clear indication of the correct orientation. Of course, it has to be the right way for the transform to work, but it isn't obvious if you put it on backwards. This has caused a lot of frustration for me.

Finally, a delivery truck just isn't a very exciting altmode. I realize not every little autobot can be a sleek sports car when they grow up, but combined with his difficult transform and small size makes for a not very interesting toy. My son just poses him and leaves him on the shelf. While I'm sure that there are others out there who have no problems with Rollbar, as a general recommendation I say leave him alone and focus on the deluxe and voyager class toys.

Transformers  Deluxe Desert Tracker Ratchet
Transformers Deluxe Desert Tracker Ratchet
Offered by tammystunezz
Price: $44.98
9 used & new from $40.00

3.0 out of 5 stars SOMEBODY CALL A DOCTOR!, December 16, 2009
I am a G1 fan and haven't seen either of the live-action films, but I do like the new transformers in the movie toylines. This is "Desert Tracker Ratchet", a Voyager class transformer from the second live-action movie, "Revenge of the Fallen." He is a redeco of a previous incarnation from the 2007 movie. Unfortunately, I am disappointed in this version of Ratchet due to its lack of durability. It's a shame because this is a very neat looking toy.

My first impression of Ratchet was as a camouflage Hummer (as packaged) when my son opened it. I think that Hummers are very neat looking vehicles, and Ratchet is no exception. It's a big, hulking vehicle that you could imagine clobbering someone with. That's one of my personal definitions of a good toy - when you hit someone with it, it should hurt. There's not a lot of detail or action going on in Ratchet's vehicle mode, although the roof rack is removable (so is the front grill, but I don't think it should be...)

I was a little nervous about working the transform from vehicle to robot. The arms and legs are solid and bulky, but the "backbone" (which I think is a transmission or suspension in vehicle mode) is very thin and felt somewhat fragile to me. Also, some of the movements were hard for me to do the first time without applying more pressure than I felt appropriate. His windshield folds out of the way in a manner that I find visually appealing. The final robot is big and solid, at least over most of the form. He has a secret axe that folds out of his arm, although I think it looks more like a giant cufflink.

My real problem with Ratchet is a fragility of joints that belies his rock-solid appearance. His front undercarriage flips away to reveal his head, but the joints are so loose that the part always falls off the robot. The door panels that make his wings (beyond the doors themselves) fall off constantly and are so loose at this point that a slight touch to the toy causes them to drop off. Unlike the undercarriage bit, this is quite visible in the vehicle mode, although neither one is necessary for the robot mode.

Ultimately, the vehicle mode and robot mode look very nice and are big and solid. Unfortunately, they are not sturdy and my son has an impressive pile of pieces that belong to Ratchet but won't stay on anymore. For a Voyager class figure, I expected better. I think the adult collector will find it an attractive piece, and maybe the youngsters will like it regardless of missing pieces (my son does)

Transformers  Voyager Megatron
Transformers Voyager Megatron
14 used & new from $89.98

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR OLD AND YOUNG, December 16, 2009
This is the Voyager version of Megatron from the 2nd Transformers movie, "Revenge of the Fallen." I'm a G1 fan and I haven't seen either of the live-action movies, but I'm really impressed with this toy. My son received this for his birthday and my first impression of it was the Cybertronian tank mode (as packaged). I thought "Wait, isn't Megatron a handgun? What is this thing?"

The tank mode is a little less impressive than might be hoped for. The robot mode has some significant asymmetry, which does carry over to the alt-mode. This is mostly hid by a giant "shield" over the top of the tank, but it is difficult to make it level because of the single crab claw that wraps around back. The claw also makes the treads difficult to level and looks "kibble"ish when viewed from the rear. It does have nice detail and the plastic has the feeling of high-quality.

The robot mode makes up for any drawbacks of the tank. Probably the most distinctive feature of the robot mode is the head. The visage is genuinely scary - not cartoony or menacing even, but flat-out scary. I was impressed. The claw arm has some interesting gears (the "mech-alive" gimmick) that move with the arm, and the cannon arm has a powerful launcher (missile travels maybe a couple of feet). The tank shield is just kibble, and slightly irritating at that, in this form, although one could imagine them being wings. The asymmetry in this form and the non-anthropomorphic aspects (claw arm, brutish jaw, goat feet, etc.) make for a very disturbing and alien aspect. There's a "wrongness" to it that seems very intuitive to a hostile alien.

So far, it has held up structurally very well. Some parts of the wings will pop off with pressure, but the joints have remained tight and the moving parts are neither loose nor stiff. The transform is interesting, although the tank shield seems to serve mainly to encase the robot like a pretender shell. I find it a very atractive (in a "bad" way) sculpt, a fun transform, and a sturdy piece. it should be enjoyed by children and adults alike.

Transformers Universe Deluxe Figure Cyclonus
Transformers Universe Deluxe Figure Cyclonus
Offered by Mario Inc.
Price: $48.99
13 used & new from $34.00

5.0 out of 5 stars NOW I CAN BUY MY OWN TOYS, April 28, 2009
When I was a wee tot, I lived, breathed, and dreamed Transformers. The iconic battles of good and evil between giant robots... the animation and voice acting was really pretty good and mostly holds up even today. Of course, I had the toys, mostly, but never had any of the Decepticon planes. I don't remember having any of the Decepticons that came after the movie ("They killed Optimus Prime! You bast@#!s!")

Now I'm an adult, and I can buy my own toys.

Cyclonus is a futuristic spaceship, and it looks really neat. And, he has a little friend (Nightstick) who travels with him. Nightstick has poseable arms and legs in addition to a gigantic barrel that folds out of his back. I'm impressed that Nightstick actually looks silly attached to Cyclonus's spaceship form, because the ship looks so "realistic" that the out-of-scale gun ruins the illusion. So Nightstick stays at home, doing ... decepticon laundry, I guess, while Cyclonus cruises the galaxy. Poor Nightstick - at least he's poseable.

The transform to robot is somewhat challenging, as you have to figure out where to apply pressure and where the tabs are. I'm a little concerned that he won't be very "clicky" after many transforms, and I suspect he'll be more easily broken than the decepticon seekers. The legs do some funky folding, and they seemed misaligned ever since the first transform, so I do think better engineering was possible.

But man, what a robot. This Cyclonus can pose at the knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, and neck. His dramatic poses don't look awkward or goofy at all - I hear Dirty Harry every time I pose him with gun in hand, aiming in silhouette, while standing with one foot on a burned-out husk of an autobot. "You looking at me, punk?"

My opinion is that if you always wished to have the Decepticon planes, this toy will fulfill your 25 year long dream. I have fun playing with it with my son (although he can't transform it) and it is quite poseable on my display shelf. And it just looks cool.

Transformers Universe Deluxe Figure G1 Starscream
Transformers Universe Deluxe Figure G1 Starscream
Offered by Xcool
Price: $49.99
9 used & new from $37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars AFTER 25 YEARS I CAN BUY MY OWN TOYS, April 28, 2009
When I was a wee tot, I lived, breathed, and dreamed Transformers. The iconic battles of good and evil between giant robots... the animation and voice acting was really pretty good and mostly holds up even today. Of course, I had the toys, mostly, but never had any of the Decepticon seekers.

Now I'm an adult, and I can buy my own toys.

Starscream is an important player in the Transformers TV continuity, along with Megatron and Soundwave, so you've got to have him. He is best known for being a simpering coward, although after rewatching the series I notice that he has a very scientific bent when not begging for mercy. His toy is a nice jet; the coloring is cartoony, but of course it must be. His missiles fire a good distance, maybe three feet or so. His robot form is good looking, the head actually looks like the TV character (!!!), and only his guns come off (a big improvement over missing hands, missing wings, etc.)

The transform is somewhat difficult, as the fists swing inside the arms and can be difficult to get out, and the nosecone executes a complicated folding maneuver to transform to robot. The end result is quite impressive, as my Gen 1 toys never really looked like their TV characters, but this one does. My only complaints are that the figure is entirely plastic (in the good old days, our toys were made of steel so that we could club each other with them), and that my Starscream has loose joints already. I think these new ones are made to pop apart rather than break, but seeing his form go limp occasionally is just ... disappointing.

My opinion is that if you always wished to have the Decepticon seekers, this toy will fulfill your 25 year long dream. I have fun playing with it with my son (although he can't transform it) and it is quite poseable on my display shelf. Along with Acid Storm and Skywarp, he leads many sorties against battle damaged Autobots, hot wheels, and assorted barbies that my kids have collected.

Transformers Universe Deluxe Figure Acid Storm
Transformers Universe Deluxe Figure Acid Storm
Offered by LH Auction
Price: $35.95
14 used & new from $34.00

5.0 out of 5 stars AFTER 25 YEARS I CAN BUY MY OWN TOYS, April 28, 2009

Now I'm an adult, and I can buy my own toys.

Acid Storm has a single appearance in the Transformers TV continuity, and a minor part at that. So, to me, he is a generic Decepticon jet. His paint job looks very nice, being jungle camouflage, and could be considered realistic (perhaps as realistic as GI Joe anyway). His missiles fire a good distance, maybe three feet or so. His robot form is good looking, the head actually looks like the TV character (!!!), and only his guns come off (a big improvement over missing hands, missing wings, etc.)

The transform is somewhat difficult, as the fists swing inside the arms and are difficult to get out, and the nosecone executes a complicated folding maneuver to transform to robot. The end result is quite impressive, as my Gen 1 toys never really looked like their TV characters, but this one does. My only complaint is that the figure is entirely plastic (in the good old days, our toys were made of steel so that we could club each other with them), and a concern that my Starscream has loose joints already, and Acid Storm may follow suit (but has not yet).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16