Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for James Shapiro > Reviews

Browse

James Shapiro's Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James Shapiro "Jim Shapiro" RSS Feed (Boulder, Colorado)

Page: 1 | 2
Campbell Hausfeld 120 Volt Home Inflation System
Campbell Hausfeld 120 Volt Home Inflation System
Price: $37.99
34 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Workhorse of a Compressor, June 15, 2015
I have an earlier model of this same compressor and have used it on car and bicycle tires for over 25 years. A few weeks ago I thought it gave up the ghost when the pressure refused to go above 40 psi. Somewhat daunted I took the unit apart. The motor is quite beefy and there is a gear mechanism to lower the rpm going to the piston and cylinder. I cleaned up the cylinder, put a little grease on the piston and reassembled the unit. Voila, 100 psi in my bicycle tires, just like old times. This inflator may outlast me.

CMS 50-DL Pulse Oximeter with Neck/Wrist cord
CMS 50-DL Pulse Oximeter with Neck/Wrist cord
Offered by CONTEC
Price: $14.83
12 used & new from $14.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice oximeter, especially considering the price, October 26, 2014
While I cannot attest to the accuracy of this oximeter, I can confirm its repeatability. I use this little meter to monitor my vitals after long, brisk walks and bicycle rides. It is really quite simple to use and, except for two caveats (keep reading), a nice little addition to my exercise equipment.

Note that it can take a while to stabilize and output a reading (that's SpO2 and pulse rate). This is an issue, because once you stop exercising, your heart rate starts to drop, and quite quickly, and you want a reading as close in time as when you were exercising as possible. The easy solution is to put the oximeter on your finger and turn it on about 20 or 30 seconds before you finish working out. That way, when you stop to take a reading, it's already on the screen.

Also, the red LEDs are hard to read in bright light. This isn't a problem inside, but it is outside. I try to either shield the screen from sunlight or, better yet, put my finger inside a shirt or jacket.

Since the unit reads continuously, once it's turned on, you can easily measure your heart recovery rate by waiting a minute and seeing how much your heart rate drops. And no need to remember to turn the meter off. Once you take it off your finger, the meter turns off in a few seconds.

Toyota MR2 Convertible Top Installation DVD
Toyota MR2 Convertible Top Installation DVD
Offered by The Autotop Store
Price: $27.50

5.0 out of 5 stars It Can be Done, May 25, 2014
Installing a convertible top is not an easy job, as I can now attest. I have a fair amount of experience with the mechanical parts on cars, but no upholstery know-how at all. But I do have a lot of spare time, though, as I am retired, 73 years old, in fact. I also have plenty of tools, so what could possibly go wrong, right? Let me say right now that unless you have a fair amount of experience with convertible tops, do not attempt this job without first purchasing the DVD.

I purchased an EasyOn top for my 2000 MR2 and, with this DVD in hand, set out to remove the old top and put the new one on. Let me first say that as the top itself, in the shipping carton, weighs only 16 pounds, there is no heavy lifting associated with the installation. That said, the removal of the old top was a breeze. You unscrew and unbolt things and, at least in my case, label absolutely everything, not just the left and right sides, but fore and aft (the window rubber pieces and retainers look similar but are definitely not). And you do a lot of cutting with a razor knife. Alone I did the removal in maybe 2 1/2 hours.

This is where things get a bit more difficult. Starting from the back of the car, the top is held in by a series, maybe 10 or 12, studs and nuts. So far, so good. It's only when you get to installing the rear quarter brackets that things get hard, very hard. There is very little space to work in, the top is resting on your head, and with all the lighting I could muster, it's still hard to see things. On the other hand, this is by far the hardest part of the job, so if you get by this, look for smooth sailing ahead. The video is a real help here and everywhere during the installation. It's not really a complaint, but watching this champ install a top kind of makes you feel incompetent. Everything he does in a minute or two takes you, the neophyte, many times longer.

I spent parts of three days doing the work, saved about $1200, and am really pleased with the results. And it's quite clear that I could not have done the job without the DVD.

One beef, the very last step, installing the rug behind the storage area, is misleadingly presented. It took me a while to figure out that the package tray above the storage area has to be released from its hinges (but not removed entirely) in order for the rug to go in. Then, of course, the real last step is reinstalling the package tray.

I let the car sit in the sun for a day and just today a neighbor and I clamped the front down, where it will remain for two weeks until the new top stretches out. It looks professionally installed!. Thanks a bunch DVD guys.

Magic Porcelain 2 Part Epoxy Chip Fix, White
Magic Porcelain 2 Part Epoxy Chip Fix, White
Offered by Security Engineering
Price: $9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Works reasonably well, if applied properly, January 7, 2014
Our cleaning people -- actually our former cleaning people -- managed to chip our fairly new bathtub twice in one day. I followed the directions closely, putting three coats of this epoxy on each chip. It can be tricky to avoid runs, but I managed to contain any runs by using very small dabs with the supplied brush.

I knew that it would never look as good as new, but the paint match is pretty good, the underlying steel is protected from water, and we can live with the two little "bumps" in our bathtub.

I'd recommended this product, with the proviso that the user follow the directions carefully and that they use thin coats, i.e., don't try to cover the chip with just one coat.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 1:17 PM PDT

Roswheel Cycling Bicycle Bike Saddle Outdoor Pouch Back Seat Bag
Roswheel Cycling Bicycle Bike Saddle Outdoor Pouch Back Seat Bag
Offered by HONG KONG GLOBAL WANXIANG TRADE CO., LIMITED
Price: $4.06
13 used & new from $4.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Big Enough, July 30, 2013
I am tired of wearing those skin tight advertisements called bicycling shirts just so I can use the back pockets to carry my minimal tool kit. This does the job, in spades. This little guy attaches to the seat in three places, around the seat post and around each seat rail and is very easy to move from one bike to another. Inside I've stuffed tire levers, a CO2 cartridge, a cartridge adaptor, a tube, and my go-to Gerber bike tool. Now I'm more than comfortable in shorts, not skin tight ones, either, and a seersucker shirt. Oh, and the little reflective tape on the back is a nice touch, too. And, of course, the price is more than good.

Bicycle Bell, Mini bell Black
Bicycle Bell, Mini bell Black
Offered by SeaCLoud
Price: $1.69
19 used & new from $1.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and Effective, July 30, 2013
I bought three of these bicycle bells. One went on my mountain bike, one on my wife's mountain bike, and the third one is on my single-speed. The bells mounted easily on both mountain bicycles, but the handlebars on the single-speed were too big, so I mounted the bell on the stem. It took less than 15 minutes to install all three bells. I rode today. The bells have a nice, easy to hear, but not annoying, single "ding". I am sure they will last forever. Nice, simple design.

20mm Premium Heavy Nato 3-ring PVD Nylon Black Interchangeable Replacement Watch Strap Band
Offered by Clockwork Synergy, LLC
Price: $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality watch strap that should last forever, May 9, 2013
This is my second Zulu nylon watch strap. I bought a similar Zulu strap about 3 years ago and it still looks like new. I bought a new 24 hour watch and immediately replaced the leather strap with the Zulu strap. My wrists are quite small, so I trimmed about 1 1/4" off the end and heated it with a match to keep the nylon threads from fraying. It looks nice, feels fine, and now I can wear this watch while playing squash without worrying about it coming off my wrist. One happy camper here.

Powerbuilt 648755 Mini-Pistol Grease Gun
Powerbuilt 648755 Mini-Pistol Grease Gun
Price: $10.09
4 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A small, but well-built little grease gun, November 4, 2012
If I had 20 or 30 Zerks to keep going I probably would choose a bigger grease gun, but I don't, and that led me to this gun. My job is to grease the 2 fittings on my wife's horse trailer twice a year. As I recall, I filled the gun from a large cartridge of Amsoil grease manually, that is by donning some surgical gloves, grabbing a handful of grease from the cartridge and glopping it into the gun's grease chamber. Piece of cake. Then I screwed things together and got to work on the fittings. Keeping the gun aligned with the fitting, the grease went in easily. End of story. Now I just have to remember to repeat this process -- save for the filling, which should only be necessary every several years -- a couple of times a year. Oh, and after a few years it hasn't leaked a drop.

Timex T736S Dual Alarm Clock Radio with Time Projector and Jumbo Display (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Clock in this Radio is Better Thought of as a Large Watch, October 27, 2012
Timex is taking a bit of a gamble with the design of this clock radio. First, mine does everything Timex says it should. That said, the clock on this clock radio is NOT synchronized with the 60 cycle power that drives it. Let me explain. Note that when the clock is first plugged in it comes up with the year, date, and time. These parameters are all set at the factory and the internal battery keeps things going until you plug it in at home. When you set your time zone, the hours are corrected. This is not an atomic clock, so the original time settings must have come from the factory. Fine, so far. I noted that the clock was slow by about 3 minutes when I fired things up, and therein lies the rub.

Like every other line-powered clock I have had, and probably you, too, my clocks, once set, were always accurate, at least until the power failed. That is because almost all clocks are driven by little synchronous motors that use the 60 cycle input power to maintain accuracy. Every 60 full cycles of the input voltage moves everything forward one second. The power company makes sure that their line frequency is spot on, and that's why you never had to reset your electric clocks as long as the power stayed on. Not so here. There must be an internal crystal driving this radio's clock, just like the ones in quartz watches. Those crystal powered watches keep pretty good time, but they do need resetting every so often. Same for this radio's clock. In fact, after about two weeks, I just reset mine, moving it forward by a minute. I'm OK with this issue, but you may not be, so think about that before buying this clock radio.

Other than the potential issue with having to reset the clock occasionally, the radio is quite nice. The sound is lousy, as expected, but I'm not listening to Beethoven on it and you probably aren't either. The digits are quite large and the projection even larger, depending on how far you project the time image. The keyboard makes setting the time and alarms a snap. On mine the focus dial cannot be adjusted, but it is in focus, so I'm leaving well enough alone. I can live with having to occasionally update the time and everything else works as advertised, so this guy gets 4 stars.

Power Grips Sport Pre-Assembled Strap/Pedal Kit, Black
Power Grips Sport Pre-Assembled Strap/Pedal Kit, Black
Price: Click here to see our price
19 used & new from $37.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, reliable solution to a simple problem, August 15, 2012
I have used these straps on my mountain bike since they came out, which is probably 8 to 10 years, without any problems. They are simple to get used to and they do their job of keeping your feet fixed on the pedals very well. Better yet, as there are other methods of fixing feet to bike pedals, Power Grips are trivially easy to disengage from - every time and without fail.

More recently my wife switched from clipless pedals and shoes to Power Grips and fell in love with them immediately. And I'm about to switch to these straps on my cyclocross bike.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 7:31 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2