Profile for Octavia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Octavia RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Fireworks [VHS]
Fireworks [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Eli 2000
Price: $14.75
18 used & new from $1.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT read A viewer from Provo, UT's 12/6 Review! SPOILER!, September 2, 2002
This review is from: Fireworks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Amazon's description is quite accurate. This movie is rather "artsy" and there is hidden meaning and depth, thus you will garner more meaning from subsequent viewings. This is always nice when purchasing, rather than renting a movie.
I hope that THIS review has helped you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, August 18, 2002
Barbie Magic Key House is disappointing. I had hoped to purchase a set to provide my daughter with another avenue in which to use her Barbie dolls.
The Key House is ADORABLE, however it is NOT a playset. It is beautiful to look at but the canopy curtains fall off, the bedspread really isn't, it is a flimsy slippery material that just slides off of the plastic inverted box (bed) and has small pieces which get lost.
My daughter who is VERY gentle with toys only got frustrated when she tried to play with this. All was not lost however, it really LOOKS lovely and we use it as a decoration in Gracie's room now.
I HIGHLY recommend this to collectors who set up scenerios, however I do NOT recommend this to anyone purchasing this to use as a playset. Pretty, yet not practical.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barbie in a Cheapie little Backpack, August 18, 2002
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Barbie never needs any description! I purchased this for my daughter Gracie because of the backpack. She needed a backpack and is a Barbie fan, so I figured that I would be purchasing two items that she'd use with one click.
The backpack is really a "toy" backpack and not to be mistaken as a school backpack or for serious use outside the home in my opinion. It is however perfect for a little girl to carry around her treasures, which is exactly what my daughter does.
Consider this set a "Barbie with a bonus" rather than a Barbie with a backpack!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Barbie in a "Box"!, August 18, 2002
Barbie needs no description, however this is different in that rather than coming with an extra skirt, Celebration Cake Barbie comes with a plastic "skirt" that twists out into a cake shape.
My daughter plays with this Barbie doll, however I purchased it to use as a cake topper. I baked a two tier cake, decorated the plastic "skirt" to match the cake and placed it upon Gracie's cake.
The little girls and boys were delighted and it photographed beautifully!
Just before serving, we removed Barbie and her "cake skirt", cut the cake and used Barbie and her decorated skirt as a birthday centerpiece for a few days while celebrating.
This set comes with icing, however it didn't appear fresh, so truthfully, I tossed it.
We did not use this set as intended. My daughter did not use the "cake/skirt/stand" to decorate. Rather, we used it solely as a decoration, but the decoration was memorable. It can be "worn" by other Barbies or similar dolls.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Little Guy!, August 18, 2002
I'll start this review off by letting you know that we haven't owned our Emiglios long, so I cannot vouch for its durability yet, however I shall edit appropriately! Its educational value isn't high, however he is fun. Loud, but fun! And "loud" IS fun for the younger folks!
Emiglio makes robotic sounds appropriate for a well... robot, which adds to his "robotic charm". His lights are engaging and he can "speak" like an alien, like a robot, or best yet, a person can transmit their own voice through Emiglio.
He is constructed out of hard plastic with engaging and attractive primary colors. The plastic appears sturdy and the robot well made and durable.
To describe Emiglio to adult consumers, I allude to the robot on the old Hanna/Barbara cartoon "The Jetsons"! Recall how that illustrated robot brought to the fictional Jetsons items on its tray? This is exactly what cute Emiglio is capable of doing. Too, it is able to grasp items in its "hand". Emiglio wears a tiny backpack which is fine for carrying/transporting small toys or crayons, which is great fun when Emiglio carries art supplies in his "hand" and tray too. It (I keep wanting to refer to "it" as "he"!) is controlled by a remote (NOT attached) which makes it even better as there are no cords to lose, entangle or prohibit/inhibit motion.
It does NOT move well on carpeting, however it is very easy to maneuver on floors, sidewalks, tile and I would imagine very short, dense carpet or rugs.
I CAN forsee my children losing interest in Emiglio after its newness wears off, but I know that I will have fun bringing him into my office or serving a beverage to a dinner guest, using the radio voice to greet them at my next party!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up! From two children!, August 18, 2002
I was initially attracted to this toy because of its Parent's Choice Award and purchased it because I thought that my son Gabe would have a lot of fun playing with it. Both proved true and correct.
Initially it took a while to put together, as it has many pieces and numerous stickers for flags, etc (which tended to curl and turn up at the ends after playing with it for awhile), but the set-up is a "one timer".
My son and his twin sister are NOT easy on toys! This is an extremely sturdy toy and since it has withstood my children's abuse, I've no doubt that it shall provide your youngsters with months, if not years of play.
It is a castle with a draw bridge. There is a lion at the castle's door that lights up and roars which tickle the kids. Side note to parents: The noise that it emits is NOT annoying!
It comes with five action figures, knights, etc. What makes this interesting is that some are "good" knights and others are "bad" knights. The "good" knights can open the draw bridge by stepping on a "stoned" arch in the front, whereas a "bad" knight will cause the lion to roar.
Also included is a "Medieval cannon" with "rocks" (hollow plastic, yet durable too). If the cannon "shoots" the lion at the door, the door will open.
Personally, I do not promote and am against toys which provoke violence, even in play, however as an active parent, I have used this set as a learning tool, rather than as a vehicle to teach or cause "war play".
I have enchanted my twins with fairy tales and with stories based on fact about Medieval times, and have utilized this Magic Castle Playset to "act out" these stories with my children. In fact, my 5 year old daughter Gracie has made Barbie "Gwenivere" or the proverbial "damsel in distress" locked in the turret of the castle, to be "saved" by the "handsome prince".
Thus this playset is used as a teaching toy in our home. It promotes "pretend play", hand/eye coordination (the figures, cannon, draw bridge), social skills and as stated above, I use it to "act out" history lessons.
As a parent, in addition to being a former teacher, I enjoy watching my children enjoying themselves while playing (and unbeknownst to them, learning) and marvel as I watch the creativity of their imaginations.
A bonus is that a child can play with others with this playset or engage him or herself alone. Too, this is not a toy that a child will quickly tire of or "grow out" of. It dismays me to purchase toys that my children master, then lose interest.
It is a large toy (see dimensions in description) and does NOT store compactly. It is however lightweight, but not at all flimsy, so it does not fall over and tumble down.
I purchased this along with Amazon's suggested horse and carriage and highly suggest that you consider the same. My personal recommendations are to purchase this playset for boy or girl children (I do not shop for gender specific toys) for children ages 4-7 ideally, and recommend this purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational and Engaging!, August 13, 2002
Gracie loves Barbie however unlike when I was a little girl, there are not a lot of toys available for little girls today to play with Barbie. This was a pleasant surprise.
The cafe is incredibly accessorized. There are many small parts, up to and including teeny, decorated Barbie-sized cookies, as an example, thus those of you with toddlers, please heed not only a choking warning but there is also the infamous "losing" factor. I keep Gracie's accessories stored in a bag to prevent loss.
Besides FUN, there are a plethora of benefits to owning this set: I have used it to enforce manners, sharing, and am teaching the basics of selling. It promotes hand/eye coordination, fine motor skills, life skills such as socialization, shopping, hostessing, positive interaction and to a degree, business skills (Barbie is a merchant).
A plus in our household is that more than one child may play with this together. In fact, Gracie's twin brother has "shopped" and "dined" at this cafe' with his GI Joe medic. Barbie may be the waitress, cook and merchant while other Barbies and dolls may be the consumers. The children and I have all played together, having "tea parties" at this adorable cafe'.
This is a win/win purchase that I highly recommend. I love when my children have fun learning and don't even realize that they are receiving educations while playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the older Barbie enthusiast!, August 13, 2002
My daughter Gracie, age 5, has a million Barbies, yet nothing to "do" with them. This is the perfect answer! More than one Barbie can go "shopping" together, which makes this "supermarket" a choice for either playing alone or with a friend.
You may use this to teach life skills, we all need to shop, and young children are able to model themselves (through Barbie) after we adults, thus it is a vehicle for which to educate too.
There are very many SMALL pieces, so I do not recommend this toy for children under 5 yrs and suggest that a box or a bag be designated to store the small accessories.
This toy promotes hand/eye coordination, "pretend play", fine motor skills, life skills, interaction skills and may be played with alone or with others. Too, this provides an avenue to utilize toys which the children already have. A win-win purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Action Figure & Learning Tool, December 29, 2001
I purchased this doll for my son. His sister has her Barbie collection and inasmuch as their father is in the Navy, I thought it an attractive, appropriate doll for which my son to have as Barbie's counterpart.
As I have a daughter who collects Barbies, frankly, I was expecting a "Barbie"-type doll here. Not so. This US Navy Corpsman is equipped with all the bells and whistles that I can think of.
I do warn however, that this doll does have small parts which can pose a choking hazard. For the little guys (and girls!), there are many accessories here too that are easily "lose-able". I mention too that for some reason, the gurney does not open, it is for appearance only and remains glued closed.
Having written this, the Corpsman does come with a number of accessories with which a real corpsman utilizes to rescue and aide wounded.
I attempt to make all of my children's toys educational and this is no exception.
Although my son is four-years-old, through this doll, I have discussed with him helping others and working as a team. Most impressive to me is that, although a military figure, this doll does not represent anyone who "fights", but more importantly, someone who "helps". Had this been a "warrior", I wouldn't have purchased it.
Sadly, due to current events, it is all but impossible to shield little inquisitive eyes and ears from recent terrorism and our war against. In this regard, I highly recommend this purchase so that as a parent or a caregiver, you may use it as a tool to promote assisting others and to discuss the virtue and rewards of being one to come to the aid of others.
In that my son's little friends have "war" figures, my son doesn't feel slighted as he too has his own military figure, however Gabe's is a medical corpsman, which I approve.
Besides, in my children's preschool world, now Barbie has a playmate!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Jolly Holiday with Mary!, December 29, 2001
This is a lovely doll! I am impressed with the details, not only as to the costume, which is much like that of Mary Poppins, but moreover, I am impressed with how much in appearance this doll resembles young Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins.
In prior purchases of other "character" dolls (Barbies), I have been more than disappointed with how little the doll resembles the character for which it is modeled and marketed. This doll is a favourable exception.
It was difficult for me to give this doll to my four-year-old, as I know how rough she is with her dollies, yet "Mary" is so beautiful and detailed, I'm considering purchasing a second to tuck away as a collector.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4