Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween
Profile for J. C. Friedlander > Reviews

J. C. Friedlander's Profile

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. C. Friedlander "HorrorFan." RSS Feed (Australia.)

Page: 1 | 2
Casper (Widescreen Special Edition)
Casper (Widescreen Special Edition)
DVD ~ Chauncey Leopardi
Price: $4.99
110 used & new from $1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars What a tragic waste. She had my favourite sunglasses., July 19, 2007
I have just seen this movie. The last time I saw it was when I was 13 years old (this was a long time ago). I bought it out of a DVD bin for [...] dollars and decided to watch it again.

I wasn't disappointed. I loved Cathy Moriarty as Carrigan, and Eric Idle as Dibs. I thought that they were very funny as a duo.

I felt sorry for Casper when he lost his chance to live permanently as a human, but I understood why he did it. Overall, there are a lot of emotional moments and laughs in the film.

If people are wondering what the rating on the movie is about - there are a few swears, and a few characters die and are re-animated, but that's about it.

I would recommend watching it.

The Devil Wears Prada (Widescreen Edition)
The Devil Wears Prada (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Anne Hathaway
Offered by Shop Zoombie
Price: $7.99
278 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Meryl Streep is great, but the plot lacked..., February 24, 2007
The problem I had with this film was that the plot was sadly lacking in terms of a story.

Meryl Streep was as beautiful as ever and she played her character perfectly.

The problem was that I was able to figure the whole plot out after maybe 30 minutes of the film and I didn't like that. I knew what Andy would do, I knew what Miranda would do, and I knew where everyone was going to end up.

I would have liked a bit of substance to the story - some twists that would really shock the audience. The plot as it was is really cut and dried.

Some ideas I came up with were - Emily really committing suicide because she had deeper problems and the trip was the last straw in a long line of disappointments?

Andy becoming just like Miranda and us seeing her in 10 years being the boss of the magazine and having no memory of who she used to be?

You get the idea - I had several more ideas on how the plot could go. I'm sure that Meryl Streep could have handled any twists beautifully.

I gave this movie a bad rating because the story was so predictable and didn't have much of a point to it.

Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Returns (1992)
Offered by Birch Bay Dreams
Price: $12.50
122 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good gothic movie..., January 22, 2007
This review is from: Batman Returns (1992) (DVD)
I watched this movie a long time ago and enjoyed it enormously.

All the characters make the movie entertaining to say the least. There's the vicious Penguin, the threatening Red Triangle circus gang, the elusive Batman, the mysterious Alfred and the half-insane Catwoman.

The most interesting character for me was Selina Kyle (Catwoman). She was a mass of contradictions.

Seeing her fight between her own insanity and humanity was quite fascinating. The scenes where she and Batman are together are electric in the sense that both of them have deep psychological issues.

Selina also uttered a quote that seems to relate to everyday life for most people. "I would love to go home with you and live with you in your castle. But that's not how life is."

Straight up the movie was good and the settings were eerily beautiful and ghoulish.

The Quiet
The Quiet
DVD ~ Martin Donovan
Offered by MoreThanMachines
Price: $16.96
41 used & new from $1.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to think...., January 20, 2007
This review is from: The Quiet (DVD)
I had mixed feelings about this movie.

I thought the portrayal of deafness was really off. The idea that a deaf person is totally shut off from the world was just wrong. I happen to be friends with several deaf people who lead totally normal lives. There ARE stupid people who consider deaf people to be retarded or dumb, but not that many.

The movie started off well enough and I was interested at first, but lost focus of the story somewhere in the middle. I wasn't sure what it was all about at the end. Surreal is the best word I can use to describe this movie.

I don't understand the police confession at all or even what the point of the story was. I was just confused when the credits rolled and I thought, "Was that it?"

Both co-stars are beautiful and easy on the eyes, though, so that might please some people.

Glass House - The Good Mother
Glass House - The Good Mother
DVD ~ Joel Gretsch
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $6.98
76 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for a sequel..., December 25, 2006
I have to say that I especially enjoyed this movie. I'm a fan of the first Glass House movie, so when I saw this sequel in the video store I thought it sounded good.

I didn't expect much at the start because I know that most sequels tend not to come up to the standard of the first movie.

But I was enormously enterained by this movie.

It is basically set out a little bit the same as the first movie, but with vast differences.

When Abby and her brother are adopted by Eve and Raymond, things look good, but Eve is hiding a dark secret.

I was very impressed with Angie Harmon (Eve). She is a sensual beauty and that makes her evil side all the more terrifying. She puts in a suberb performance and switches from good to evil in a heartbeat. The scene with the oven cleaner made me squirm.

An enjoyable treat.

Hard Candy
Hard Candy
DVD ~ Patrick Wilson
Offered by Amazing Prime Express
Price: $7.47
158 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., December 25, 2006
This review is from: Hard Candy (DVD)
This movie started off well enough.

A 14 year old meets a 32 year old man from the Internet and they arrange for her to go to his house. But when they get there, her sinister motives are revealed.

This storyline had potential at the start, however as the movie progressed I found it to be quite trite. (Spoiler information may be revealed below).

Hayley apparently acts on a belief, which seems a little bit ridiculous. She did not start out with any real proof to begin with and had to rip through the house to get it. What would have happened if Jeff had turned out to be a good guy? What would she have done?

The movie got boring for me after about 30 minutes because Hayley and Jeff prattled on the same topics endlessly. I understand that he's a pervert and she's a sicko, and both of them believe they are in the right. Get to the point, already. We really don't need hundreds of statements about how clever she is and how stupid he is.

Hayley claimed to have done something quite disgusting to Jeff, and later on, he found out that she'd faked it. What was the point of all that, then?

Jeff managed to escape from Hayley at least three or four times, yet every single time he escaped, then he walked back into her trap. How many times did he get knocked out again?

Hayley's plan was ridiculous. After all the fighting where Jeff was tied up and they beat each other up...

She would never be able to get rid of the evidence after that.

An autospy would have identified that there were previously drugs in Jeff's body. Hayley's fingerprints would be all over him. There would be rope burns on various marks of the body, showing that he had been tied up for some time. Not to mention hair, blood and all the other gunk Hayley left lying around. I mean, she was showering there. Come on.

Let's not forget that the neighbour had seen Hayley who told her she'd be there for a couple of days. She'd tell the police about that and provide an accurate profile.

Plus the people at the shopping center who saw them together.

At the end Hayley was on the roof and Joelle was in the house. As far as I can see Hayley had no time to remove the evidence because Jeff was chasing her all over the house. How did she expect to clear up with Joelle right there. Come to think of it, how was she going to get off the roof without anyone seeing her.

E-mails and calls can easily be traced, showing that the 'police calls' were fake.

So, Hayley would never have gotten away. In fact, Jeff didn't even have to kill himself. If he'd finished her off, he could easily remove his side of the evidence and show the police the marks on her body and such. For an "honor student," she was really stupid.

Both characters seemed to be overwhelemingly stupid in the sense that neither one of them knew what they were doing.

A much better ending would be if Jeff had revealed to Hayley that he wasn't alone and have the other guy turn up and finish her off as part of the set up. And it would have been better if he reveals he knew who she was all along.

I got so bored with the long, long conversations that had no point to them, I skipped over a few scenes.

A disappointment all around.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2011 3:24 PM PST

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (Widescreen Edition)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Lucas Black
Offered by DAILY "Black-Friday" 4U
Price: $12.77
126 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Things I learned from watching this movie., November 21, 2006
I learned quite a few interesting things about life from this movie. This movie seemed to have quite a lot of plot holes. Anyway, here is what I learnt about the world from this movie -

1) The yakuza (they play the bad guys in this movie) have nothing better to do than race cars.

2) If you are a car racer, you will never have to do jail time for any crimes you commit.

3) If you cannot drive at top speed and make hairpin turns through a car park without crashing into something, you are a loser.

4) Only gorgeous girls and guys with perfect bodies can drift.

5) Everyone in the school is either rich, gorgeous or a gangster.

6) It is perfectly okay to offer your car to a total stranger in a race - just to see what he's made of.

7) Even if you get in a race containing three cars and drive at top speed through a full city, and end up killing someone, then the police will do nothing about it.

8) If you are beautiful and blonde, it is a good idea to offer yourself up as the prize for a race, so your boyfriend gets involved in a race with another guy and almost kills all three of you.

9) It is an even better idea to scream at your boyfriend that he doesn't love you when he is neck-and-neck with another car, so that he rams into the other car on purpose.

10) If you walk away from a fight, you are a loser.

First Daughter
First Daughter
DVD ~ Katie Holmes
Offered by vsource
Price: $7.44
122 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie was awful., November 15, 2006
This review is from: First Daughter (DVD)
Okay, I was actually at the video store looking for a copy of Drive Me Crazy and I found one for 26 dollars. Then I found it in a double pack with First Daughter for only 15 dollars.

I got the double pack because it was cheaper and decided to have a look at First Daughter.

I had to turn off the movie after 15 minutes. Katie Holmes's character had the personality of cardboard. She seems to spend her time walking around with a fake smile plastered on her face pretending to have fun.

These movies are always the same - rich girl wants a real life, she rebels and falls in love with some handsome guy who looks like a model, he teachs her about real life, they fall in love, they either have a fight or betray each other, then get back together at the end.

Katie Holmes bored me and so did the guy she fell in love with. I could see what was going to happen next. The whole movie was so sickly sweet I literally wanted to throw up.

I think I'll stick to Drive Me Crazy and just forget that I own this movie.

I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer
I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer
DVD ~ David Paetkau
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $4.99
82 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I'll Always Know What A Bad Movie Is!!!!!, October 26, 2006
Firstly, I would like to say that I am a big horror movie fan and I am familiar with this trilogy.

I have read the novel and seen the first two movies in this trilogy and enjoyed all of them. The novel and first movie were full of surprises and the second movie had some great twists.

However, this third movie was a waste of time and should not have been made.

The plot is about some teenagers who decide to play a joke by recalling the legend of the Fisherman at a local carnival. One of them dresses up in a trench coat and flashes a hook, then performs a stunt with one of the boys riding his skateboard off the edge of a factory roof where he is supposed to land on a mattress.

However, someone moves the mattress and the poor guy ends up dead.

I had to ask myself a question at this point. Why was this guy so stupid that he would ride a skateboard off a factory roof, just for the sake of a stupid joke? What's wrong with staying on solid ground?

The rest of the movie was basically the same as the first movie, but very poorly acted.

The ending was fairly ridiculous too. When I found out who the killer was, then I thought it was just plain stupid.

This ending did not tie in with the other two films at all. Having the killer turn out to be that person was just stupid.

The only thing this movie had going for it was some neat camera shots, especially the one in the ski lift.

Fire (Losing Christina, No.3)
Fire (Losing Christina, No.3)
by Caroline B. Cooney
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
94 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful psychological thriller., April 29, 2006
I'd like to start my review by saying that I am currently twenty-five years old and I still have a copy of this book on my shelf.

The reason for this is when I was 13 years old, there was a series of horror books out called Point Horror. I was an avid reader at that age and I saved up some money to buy myself some books from this series. This was the very first book I bought, so it will always be special to me.

I must admit that when I read this book, I didn't quite understand it, but this was because I did not know at the time that this book was actually the last book in a trilogy (the other two are called The Fog and The Snow) and that it was picking up where the other two books left off.

So, I got the other two and read them, then re-read this book.

It was absolutely brilliant. The story revolves around thirteen-year old Christina who gets involved in a terrifying psychological mind game with the two malicious Shevvingtons.

She watches two friends - Anya, a beautiful, brilliant senior collapse mentally and Dolly, an innocent sicth-grader become a trembling nervous wreck.

In this book, the Shevvingtons turn their attention to her and attempt to destroy her ...with fire.

I loved this series back then, and I still love it now.

Page: 1 | 2