Profile for theWolf > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

theWolf RSS Feed (Linthicum, Maryland United States)

Caledonian Flute
Caledonian Flute
6 used & new from $11.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Norman just blows me away!, November 29, 2013
This review is from: Caledonian Flute (Audio CD)
Early in Chris's career, I heard him described as the "next James Galway or Jean-Pierre Rampal" (he might be rocking some of his inner Ian Anderson here), but nowadays, I'll bet there are new, young talents hoping to be the next Chris Norman. Each of Chris's CDs seem to have a unique character. This collection of old Scottish tunes, reworked with modern-day sensibilities, is one of my favorites, with a well-considered juxtaposition of technical tour de force, tender melodies, and full-on fun. Chris always seems to find incredible talents with whom to collaborate, and the ensemble and guest artists on this CD are no exception. I especially enjoy Andy Thurston's playing and the subtle vocalizations by Custer LaRue. Even the liner notes are great.

Souvenirs: Music of Paul Schoenfield
Souvenirs: Music of Paul Schoenfield
Price: $18.03
16 used & new from $9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great opus from Opus Two, November 29, 2013
I ordered this because I have other CDs by William Terwilliger and Andrew Cooperstock (Opus Two) and have enjoyed them. Their collaborations are always well executed and musical. I also have enjoyed the collections of works on their previous releases. This CD is just as satisfying. Paul Schoenfield is a new composer to me. As a huge fan of JS Bach, I especially enjoyed Schoenfield's Partita for Violin and Piano. I was slightly disappointed with the engineering of the pieces for electric violin because of the muffled sonority compared to the rest of the CD. There is quite a variety in the rest of the selections and the performances are stellar.

The Beethoven Piano Sonatas
The Beethoven Piano Sonatas
Price: $2.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed reaction., August 13, 2013
I find these performances more Romanticized - with more rubato and pedal - than I'm used to hearing in more recent performances. I feel it loses some of the rhythmic precision and "trickery" that I've come to respect in Beethoven. Occasionally, the notes blur together and I can't really tell if it's Schnabel's pedal technique or limitations of the recording technology. (As an envious pianist, I secretly enjoy his wrong notes. That would never fly today.) It does give an interesting perspective into some of the performance conventions of Schnabel's era. Schnabel certainly pours his emotions into these performances.

The Odyssey
The Odyssey
by Homer
Price: $12.95
51 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the right edition., October 8, 2012
This review is from: The Odyssey (Paperback)
I ordered this book for my son for school. When I "looked inside" it showed the Robert Fagles translation, which he needed. The book it we received was by a different translator (Butler). We returned the book and ordered the correct edition for his Kindle.

Samsonite 4-Piece Travel Set - Red
Samsonite 4-Piece Travel Set - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Like My Luggage, July 22, 2007
I was happy with the set. I think that it was a good value for the price. I bought red thinking that it would stand out at the baggage claim. Apparently, about 20 other people had the same idea. The soil from the flight shows fairly easily on the read. The luggage rolled easily and carried enough for me and my son for a week.