Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 50

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Seattle, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
by Sam Harris
Price: $15.85
44 used & new from $11.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the most important book I have ever read., September 9, 2014
I grew up in a Christian family and then earned degrees in Philosophy and Neuroscience. As an atheist, I've been mourning the loss of faith for years. Just because you want something to be true, doesn't mean it is. Losing one's faith can definitely leave a hole. This is the book that begins to fill the void and emptiness that I've felt from that loss. Thank you Sam Harris. This book will change lives.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2014 9:55 AM PDT

COLOMBIA a EXPAT GUIDE TO MOVE & RETIREMENT
COLOMBIA a EXPAT GUIDE TO MOVE & RETIREMENT
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good info, horribly written, June 29, 2014
This book seems to have a lot of good info, but is almost unreadable. Sure there's the your/you're errors throughout, which are forgivable. But 80% of the sentences in the book don't make sense grammatically. As a result, the book is very hard to read. It's a shame because a simple proofread by a native english speaker seems like it would iron out 99% of the problems.

Borderlands 2
Borderlands 2
Price: $39.36
55 used & new from $21.95

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm sold, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2 (Video Game)
I was really skeptical of Borderlands 2 and followed it for a while before it came out. Truth be told, it doesn't run as well as the console or PC versions but it runs ok. It's still Borderlands 2. I have about two dozen Vita games and always find myself going to Borderlands 2. It got a lot of negative critic reviews but I still feel like it's one of the best games you can buy on Vita. The framerate isn't as good as Killzone Mercenaries, but it's got a lot more content and I find it fun. There's a few changes. The enemies explode in a splash of blood. It's a bit dramatic but I actually find it more satisfying. Also it's slightly harder to control on Vita than on consoles so a little less enemies doesn't really bother me. Very underrated by critics. Get this and you won't be dissapointed.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Playstation 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist - Playstation 3
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $19.66
91 used & new from $12.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Marred by technical difficulties., August 22, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
It's a shame, this could have been gold with a little more polish. Splinter Cell is one of my favorite series. I've been playing it since the first one came out. The gameplay in Blacklist is just about perfect. Unfortunately I feel very cheated. It's almost as if nobody play tested the cut-scenes before releasing it. They drop to about 1-2 fps, the audio skips, and you see some of the worst screen tearing you've ever laid eyes on. This essentially breaks the story. I read reviews that mentioned this but I wasn't prepared for how horrible it actually is. It's unintentionally comical how bad the graphics lag. When you are walking around the Paladin (the main hub) the game is incredibly choppy and hangs up. There are just so many technical errors with the graphics being glitchy the game feels like it was rushed and is unfinished. If they patch all the problems it would be a perfect 10. Unfortunately the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are garbage. It's almost not fun. Almost. Sam's lobotomized voice acting and Brigg's tiny ears don't even bother me. It's the graphical glitches that ruin things.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 6:38 AM PDT

Hohner Super Chromonica Deluxe, Key of C
Hohner Super Chromonica Deluxe, Key of C
Price: Click here to see our price
7 used & new from $209.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, May 16, 2013
I bought the 270 Deluxe brand new and it had a crease on one of the windsavers out of the box. Called Hohner and they charged me $60 to re-service it. When I got it back it played worse than when I got it. I can't make it through a single song without windsavers sticking. I've cleaned the windsavers, checked the gapping, warmed up the harmonica and it still has that problem. I have $75 Chinese chromatics that play much better. I'm certain it's not an embouchure issue. I love other Hohner harmonicas. Although the customer service is pretty cruddy, some of their other harmonicas are very good. Take a wide berth around this one though.

The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
by Timothy Ferriss
Price: $21.00
230 used & new from $4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Most useful book yet. Hard to put down. Buy print copy, not kindle., November 20, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Tim Ferriss. He is a genius guru when it comes to efficiency. His first book "The 4 Hour Workweek" significantly changed my philosophy on life. The "4 Hour Body" helped myself and a couple friends lose well over a hundred pounds between the three of us. However, my biggest complaint about the first two books was that much of both books was not applicable to my life. I'm not interested in starting my own company or doing investing, so a lot of "The 4 Hour Workweek" didn't apply to me. Sure, the "Slow-Carb Diet" from "The 4 Hour Body" was helpful and one of the easiest diets to follow I've come across. But much of the rest of the book was just interesting information and not very realistic for me to apply (checking my blood sugar on a regular basis, taking a bath full of ice water, going to crazy extremes to live on barely any sleep, taking tons of supplements for various things, becoming an athletic/health god).

In "The 4 Hour Chef", nearly everything is useful (we all eat and learn). A large portion of the book isn't even about cooking, it's about how to learn efficiently. It's far from a cookbook. It's actually a guide on how to learn efficiently, then step by step instruction via 20+ lessons on how to become a world class cook. In each lesson, you learn a new cooking skill, some insight about learning, and make a relatively simple "slow-carb diet" friendly dish that would feel right at home in any upscale restaurant in New York City. Each lesson builds upon the previous to develop a skillset. You'll get the most from the book by following the lesson path in sequence, and not by not skipping to whichever recipe looks the most tasty.

Anyhow, this book is huge and every page is beautiful and filled with color. You'll regret it if you limit yourself to the Kindle version. This it one of those books that you need a print copy of, so you can flip through it with ease and appreciate the beauty that's gone into it. Only buy the kindle fire version if you want to read it cover to cover and don't want to lug around a huge college textbook sized copy. Anyways, best $20 bucks I've spent in a while. I would recommend this to everyone from the bachelor that can't even cook scrambled eggs, to the 5-star world class chef. I'm going to buy more for gifts this year.

Swan 16 Hole 64 Tone Chromatic Harmonica
Swan 16 Hole 64 Tone Chromatic Harmonica
Offered by hellochow
Price: $89.00
4 used & new from $82.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the "one" to get., July 22, 2012
I was pretty angry at Hohner after they wanted $9 shipping on top of $9 for a single replacement windsaver on my 270 Super Deluxe. So, at the recommendation of John Nemeth (The Swan is the model he plays), I decided to check this Chinese made chromatic out. It sounds much better than my Hohner and is much more easier to play. It's a bit more airtight, the slide is smoother, and the notes bend a lot easier and consistently. I wish I would have known. I could have saved nearly $200. Oh well, lesson learned. With harmonicas you don't always get what you pay for. The Swan is a prime example that sometimes less is more. I'll never go back to Hohner's Chromatics.

Seydel BIG SIX "Blues" Harmonica - Key of C
Seydel BIG SIX "Blues" Harmonica - Key of C
Offered by My Music Life
Price: $36.99
5 used & new from $34.77

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT a toy! A real professional instrument, September 21, 2011
I've had a few of the Hohner Little Ladies in the past. They were fun, decorative, novelty items but I always thought it would be great if there was actually a miniature playable harmonica that you could wear around your neck. Not only is the Big Six playable, but it is a top of the line harmonica. While not as nice as my Seydel 1847 Classic, they are very similar. They both have the same indexing and stainless steel reeds (once you go stainless, you can't go back to brass). The wood comb is not as good of quality as the Seydel 1847 Classic but it is sealed to prevent swelling. The Seydel name is screen printed on the back unlike the engraved name on the 1847 Classics, and the Big Six reed plate doesn't have the rounded cover plates that the 1847 Classic has. I found with a few minutes of filing down the rough corners that this wasn't really a problem. The depth of the Big Six is the same as most other standard diatonic harmonicas but the height is slightly smaller. A few times hitting the 2 blow, I experienced slight buzzing (possibly the reed hitting the cover plate) but this usually doesn't occur may just be more playing style or playing to hard. I also found that the sound, while not as loud as the 1847 Classic, is actually quite loud and most everyone is impressed by the volume that such a small instrument produces.

The price is a little higher than many standard diatonic harmonicas but it does have stainless steel reeds and is still about half the price of other stainless steel Seydel models. The notes bend flawlessly (better than my Lee Oskars and Hohners). It does come with a lanyard and a tin can but I stashed these away and just wear it around a necklace as a pendant. I thought wearing the lanyard with all the promo stuff on it looked a little too dorky (as if having a harmonica around your neck wasn't enough). The idea of the can is to be able to use it for effects. That was fun for about 2 minutes then I was over it. The harmonica fits snuggly in the can and it needed to be pried out a bit. This is good because I was worried it was going to be rattling around in there during shipment.

With Blues music, you can do a lot without going above the 6 hole. In fact, many artist such as Paul Butterfield rarely did go above the 6 hole. It's great to have such a high quality instrument around your neck. People will commonly use it as a topic to strike up a conversation with you. Great ice breaker!

In addition, you can also purchase replacement parts (reedplates, coverplates, etc.) off of the Seydel website, so this could be an instrument you keep with you for a long time.

All in all, I'm very excited and pleased with my purchase. Money well spent in my opinion.

Seydel Blues Session Steel Harmonica - Key of G
Seydel Blues Session Steel Harmonica - Key of G
Offered by My Music Life
Price: $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mass Produced Diatonic Harmonica Money Can Buy., August 26, 2011
I've played on a lot of different brands and models of harmonicas: Lee Oskar, Hohner Marine Band, etc.. I recently bought a couple Seydel 1847 Classic and was very impressed with the construction and quality of the piece. I love the steel reeds. They bend smoother, sound stronger, and last longer. The problem I had with the Classic model was that it was plagued with sharp corners and the reed plate jutted out in a way that made my lips raw after only about 10 minutes of playing.

The Blues Session Steel fixes all that! This is not only the best built harmonica and the best sounding I have played, but also by far the most comfortable. Just buy one and try it out. You will not be disappointing. I now plan on only buying this model and brand from now on.

SEYDEL Blues 1847 Harmonica C Classic
SEYDEL Blues 1847 Harmonica C Classic
Offered by Music123
Price: $89.95
6 used & new from $73.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but flawed, August 24, 2011
This is one of the best quality harmonicas I have owned. From the moment you pick it up, you can tell it is high quality. The cover plates feel more solid and not like flimsy tin covers, the comb is not only beautiful but feels good too. The stainless steel reeds are the best part. The just feel more responsive and you don't get the high pitched squeaking that you can sometimes get bending brass reeds (especially when beginning bending). There's a reason hard players like Musselwhite and James Cotton use this model. It's solid, and durable.

The problem arises when when you put it in your mouth and start playing. I found the reed plates that jut out to be far too sharp. I can only play it for brief amounts of time before my lips are seriously raw. There are also very sharp corners on the edges that need to be filed down. Normally this isn't a problem with harmonicas. It's easy to file or sand off the ruff edges. However, the reed plates being stainless steel rather than brass make it very difficult to sand. I also went to take my model apart and found that one of the screws was damaged and completely stripped out and I was unable to take it apart. I would have thought that since these are $90 a piece and handmade in Germany, they would catch this sort of thing.

Since this is almost unplayable for extended amounts of time, I am ordering the Seydel Blues Steel Session. I love the stainless steel reeds but hopefully that model will be less punishing on the mouth.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 7:35 AM PDT